AuthorTopic: TBP down due to DOS attacks  (Read 7954 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: TBP down due to DOS attacks
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
Congratulations.  But there up is a mystery here - if your blog and your audio recordings are drawing in so many newbies, why aren't they commenting on "how great you are" in the forum?  And don't give me that "they're afraid of the trolls" shit.  You made the decision to censor the "troll" action.  It's under control now, right? So blaming it on the trolls is not an option.

The Diner Forum has never had a whole lot of people commenting.  Max at any one time I would say was about 20 regulars.  What this recent episode did was make it impossible for even that small group to have congenial conversation, every thread turned into a Napalm Contest.  Frankly I did not even want to be here, but I don't want to shut it down either.  It has alot of good info in the archives, and it's still the best software for commentary.

The Diner Blog on the other hand is an information dispersal medium, not a discussion forum.  It's a compilation Blog where readers can find information from many different authors.  It's "popularity" is measured by its circulation, which is reflected in the Alexa Ranking.

What the Rants do is provide information in Audio format, which a lot of folks prefer to reading, especially if you can download to your mp3 player and listen while you drive, garden, whatever.  That they have increased the circulation and popularity of the Diner is unequivocal, the ranking has been steadily increasing since they first began going up.  Does this make me personally very popular or somebody people want to drop in to chat with?  Not really, at least there is no evidence of that.  I do get emails periodically thanking me for the Diner and the Rants, but it's not overrunning my mailbox.

No idea if the forum here will ever recover, but at the moment the Blog is doing quite well overall.  The Rants get decent listenership, so I don't feel like I am talking to nobody.  For quite a while on Reverse Engineering I was pretty close to just writing a Diary there, I write regardless of whether people are reading (listening) or not, but it is nicer to know some people are listening.  These days, I know for sure there are at least 300 regular listeners.  Does that put me in a category with Rush Limbaugh?  Obviously not.  On the other hand, could you record a Rant and get 300 people to listen to it regularly?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TBP Down Again
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
Looks like the NSA is still hitting Jimbo hard, despite expensive DDoS Protection.  He's on the same server as Mike Krieger, but so far that blog is still up.  They probably both have their own dedicated servers.

I sent him an email to see what is going on.  Will update when I find out anything.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
  I just accessed TBP with no difficulty. Am I missing something?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 10:18:34 PM »
  I just accessed TBP with no difficulty. Am I missing something?

I got an email a few hours ago from a TBPer, and when I checked it was down.  Now seems to be up.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »
About the diner...not much variety these days far as #of posters & ideas goes. I suppose the positive is that everything is under control.
The Diner though has never been doing better.  Besides the Alexa Ranking, today was another Record Breaking day for the Diner.  Visits nearly doubled to the blog today, and the Monthly Total for Page Views is up past 52,000.

RE

Congratulations, but there is a mystery here  - if there are so many new listeners to your audio recordings and so many new readers of your blog, then why aren't these newbies engaging in the forum? If your performance was really that spectacular, wouldn't they feel compelled to comment on what a great experience it was for them?
just my straight shooting honest opinion