AuthorTopic: TBP down due to DOS attacks  (Read 8123 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
TBP down due to DOS attacks: Geek vs. Geek
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 03:42:17 AM »
I have received word from Jim he is going to Migrate TBP to a new server.  The IT guy who runs it hopefully is as good as DS is and TBP should come back online in a couple of days if all goes well.

The Battle is ON!

We will need our Geeks to be ready for Battle.  We have some pretty tough customers here to battle with, no slouches at Google and the NSA in Nefarious IT discombobulation of a website.

Geek vs Geek.  The Battle Begins.

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline dilligaf

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
Re: TBP down due to DOS attacks
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 07:16:19 AM »
Ol' Ray, or was it Roy, from the advertising site must of called in a favor.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »
Good luck, Jim. Your voice is important. This chickenshit DOS attack stuff will not stand.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline sensetti

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 12:46:44 PM »
Thanks RE

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »
Took me a minute to remember what TBP abbreviates. You guys should keep this in mind when using abbreviations.

The Burning Platform - http://www.theburningplatform.com/

Message at that address says:

"
TBP UNDER ATTACK

To all the TBP shit throwing monkeys, I have a few messages:
I shall return.
I have not yet begun to fight.
I should have ducked.

I am currently hunkered down in a bunker beneath TBP Central as predator drones circle overhead waiting for me to show myself. The website has been under a relentless denial of service attack since Thursday afternoon. The site is being inundated with over 3 million hits per day that make it impossible for anyone, including myself, from getting onto the site.

Ive been at the mercy of incompetent IT help desk drones from my server company who have failed to solve my issues. They are unable and unwilling to take the necessary steps to protect my site from attack. I have been put in touch with some very helpful, like-minded people, by fellow liberty loving bloggers who believe in free speech and dissent.

Im currently having the site migrated to a private server run by someone who values the truth and believes we cant let the evil bastards win. We should have TBP back up and running sometime this week. If you think I was pissed off before, wait until I come back. Anyone who would attack my site for this long must not like what I have to say. That means Im hitting a nerve. Ideas matter in this world. If we can change enough minds, we can take this country back. The establishment will continue to try and censor the truth and subvert any website that dares to challenge the status quo.

Im just a guy with no IT skills, limited financial resources, and a keyboard. I wont be surrendering to these bastards without a fight. But in the meantime, in the immortal words of Warren Zevon:
I'm a desperate man

Send lawyers, guns and money

The shit has hit the fan"

Not being a techie, I can't say I know why THAT message can be read while the rest of the site cannot. Hmmm.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »
Not being a techie, I can't say I know why THAT message can be read while the rest of the site cannot. Hmmm.
Roughly, for the same reason a fast-food joint serves hamburgers instead of steaks ;-) because it doesn't take as long to prepare.  That page is plain, simple text; the server could probably spit out a million of those a day.  The regular site, with all the fancy graphics and embedded links, it can't keep up with the requests.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
Oh, now I get it! Thanks!
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »
Jim is migrating the whole DB.  This is what we did when we changed hosts.

The page he has up is a placeholder while his IT guy is moving all the files and records from one server to the other.  Process takes a while, IT genius needs to check to make sure all the linkages are right, plus it is just a lot of data to move.

24-48 hours is the estimate for the site to be up and running again.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TBP down due to DOS attacks: Update
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 02:41:47 AM »
Well, it's looking like a bit more than the 24-48 hours estimate for TBP.

Latest from Jimbo was that the Cloud Protection people had knocked down 95% of the DDoS trash, but he was getting more than 3M hits/day from this, so even 5% brings you to 150K Hits/Day, which if you expect max 20K your server won't handle.

His other IT Geek is working on subroutines to shit can the rest of the trash, but obviously as of yet has not conquered the problem.

This is a sophisticated and broad based attack, and ongoing for quite some time.  I don't think it comes from an Independent Hacker at this point, must come from Google or the NSA.

Hopefully resolved soon.  We will keep the Diner Open for any updates on this situation.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: TBP down due to DOS attacks: Update
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »
Well, it's looking like a bit more than the 24-48 hours estimate for TBP.

I don't think it comes from an Independent Hacker at this point, must come from Google or the NSA.

Hopefully resolved soon.  We will keep the Diner Open for any updates on this situation.

I'd not like to have either of those folks as an enemy!  They have lots of powerful tools and resources.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »
    THE BURNING PLATFORM IS NOW UP AND RUNNING!

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
Glad to hear.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »
Glad to hear.

Add me to the list of folks that are ecstatic about this. GREAT NEWZ.  About the diner...not much variety these days far as #of posters & ideas goes. I suppose the positive is that everything is under control. And the Alexa ratings are just through the roof!
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
About the diner...not much variety these days far as #of posters & ideas goes. I suppose the positive is that everything is under control.

You can thank the Trolls on the Anti-Diner for that.  They created an atmosphere so toxic during Trolls Gone Wild Week that nobody feels like chatting here now.  It will take a while for that to recover.

The Diner though has never been doing better.  Besides the Alexa Ranking, today was another Record Breaking day for the Diner.  Visits nearly doubled to the blog today, and the Monthly Total for Page Views is up past 52,000.

Nicole Foss' Podcast is about to cross the 3000 mark in listens, my Extinction Rant is at 800 Listens and Financial WWIII is at 400 Listens.

Far as the Forum here is concerned, it may or may not recover, only time will tell.  The Diner itself though is kicking ass.  :icon_sunny:

DOOMSTEAD DINER.  #1 FOR DOOM ON THE NET!!!
RE
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:45:36 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

The Diner though has never been doing better.  Besides the Alexa Ranking, today was another Record Breaking day for the Diner.  Visits nearly doubled to the blog today, and the Monthly Total for Page Views is up past 52,000.

Nicole Foss' Podcast is about to cross the 3000 mark in listens, my Extinction Rant is at 800 Listens and Financial WWIII is at 400 Listens.

RE

Congratulations.  But there up is a mystery here - if your blog and your audio recordings are drawing in so many newbies, why aren't they commenting on "how great you are" in the forum?  And don't give me that "they're afraid of the trolls" shit.  You made the decision to censor the "troll" action.  It's under control now, right? So blaming it on the trolls is not an option.
just my straight shooting honest opinion