AuthorTopic: Electric Bicycles  (Read 58684 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Bicycles
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:33 AM »
BAH!

Walmart emailed me back that the transaction was cancelled.  So I tried through Target.  Their software said this is "restricted".

You CAN'T buy a fucking Electric Scooter from Alaska!  Argghhh.

I am going to defeat this shit somehow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Bicycles are HAZMATS!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 03:12:09 AM »
OK, I believe I have identified the underlying problem.  These bikes with the associated battery are identified as "HAZMATS".  Hazardous Materials.  So none of these companies which all use Airplanes to ship stuff can ship this way, and they don't have water/ground logistics to send to Alaska.

To get one here, I am either going to have to arrange a ground level shipment of some type through the companies that make them, or get my friend with his trucks to pull one up here for me.

Or at this point, I am going to see if I can't make my own freaking Electric Scooter/Bike.  Just need a Battery and Motor for my regular bicycle and figure out how to mount it all.

This is REALLY pissing me off.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 03:56:14 AM »
maybe a battery retailer can help
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 04:10:28 AM »
maybe a battery retailer can help

Maybe, there is a Batteries-R-Us outlet up here, clearly they get batteries shipped to Alaska.

I wonder if somehow I can order one of these devices without the batteries?  Then get the Batteries shipped separately, maybe by odering through Batteries-R-Us?

This is a nasty problem.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Bicycles: Shipping Problem SOLVED!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 11:08:49 PM »
OK, did an End Around on the Shipping issue.

I am having the new vehicle shipped to OR, where my friend is having it dropped on his trailer, due to be driven back up here with a bunch of weights and other heavy paraphernalia that is ridiculously expensive to ship up here by conventional means.

The Final Choice of device here...drumroll...a Currie Technologies eZip e1000.  This scooter met most of my criteria and was one actually available to order.

This is the most powerful scooter this company offers, with a 1000W Motor and 36V battery power from 3 12V batteries.  Most of the smaller units are 24V/2 batteries.

An added benefit of this is that you get a great additional source of Emergency Power.  You get 3 12V 10AH batteries you can use to run an Inverter.  I am going to wire an inverter to it and maybe even have it mounted on the bike.  This would provide plenty of juice for keeping the laptop charged up and so forth.  I have a switchable Stanley Inverter that does either 100W/500W that should work well with this power pack.

Because the handlebars fold down and the seat can be removed, it folds up easily and so can fit inside my SUV no problem.  So no special carrier needed.

Depending on which review you want to believe, the scooter goes 15-18mph for a range of about 15 miles on a single charge.  I think the variations in the reviews come from variable quality in the batteries.  I'll let you guys know actual range for my unit once it arrives.  Reviews also say with heavy use, you pretty much have to replace the batteries every year anyhow, so if I have a bad set hopefully I can buy better ones for it next year.  Maybe even get some Li-I batteries that will fit the compartment.  I don't expect at the moment to use it that heavily though, not daily commuting on it as some people use it for.

Because it is so compact, a popular meme for using them is to take them on Light Rail or Buses, and use them for "the last mile" on either side of a commute, Home to Station and Station to Work.

The structure makes it pretty easy to attach a standard bike basket to the back, so I can carry my camera equipment easily.  I am also going to look into getting a Bike Trailer like this one that will work with it for additional Cargo Capacity.

With something like this, I can turn it into a Mini-Bugout Machine!  This would allow me to pull Tent, Sleeping Bag/Pad, cooking gear, lightweight food, water etc.  Just need to find a place to recharge.  I can carry a couple of small PV panels also, though this probably takes a while to charge up with those.  Anyhow, in this paradigm, you drive your SUV and then just use this to go maybe 10 miles further out from the road system, leaving your SUV camoflaged.  Use in conjunction with conventional bicycles as a cargo moving system.  It is rated to carry 260 lbs, I am at around 160, but it probably could pull another 200 lbs on a trailer at a slow speed.

Another cool idea would be to have a small Electric Winch attached to the frame and cable to attach it to a fixed object like a Tree.  Then you have means to winch up probably 1000-2000 lbs with a block and tackle arrangement!  The possibilities are endless!

Because it is so simple, there's not a lot that can go wrong with this vehicle.  It should be EZ to fix even if there is some problem.  I may even be able to Upgrade it with a bigger Motor and more Battery power at some point and disable the speed controller so it can go faster.  However, 15mph is plenty fast enough for how I will use it and over the distances I would use it of around 5 miles or less.  This would get you there in 20 minutes.  In a car, this takes 10 minutes anyhow with traffic lights and so forth.

Came in at a very reasonable price of $569 from Eco Wheelz.  Walmart had it slightly cheaper at $529, but not In Stock.

The main issue here now is all the shipping going right.  It can take up to 10 days for the shipping, and that is right up to the day when my friend's trailer leaves OR.  If it misses this ride, I may have to wait another month or two for another one.  If it goes well though, I will have it by the end of the month.

Looks like tons of fun.  Can't wait for it to get here!

RE

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:43:16 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mini Electric Bugout Machine Plans
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
I went looking for replacement Battery packs, and found a nice lightweight Li-I pack that delivers 12V/18AH.

Now, this will up the cost of my vehicle assembly considerably, but when I design my Trailer to go with the Scooter, I will create a Compartment in the base for up to 9 of these batteries.  They retail at around $150 each.

With this combination, running a cable to the on-board bike batteries and substituting them as well, your range would be around 100 miles I think.  Not to mention you could mount a much bigger motor and probably get the thing up to 30 mph EZ.  Range and Torque more important than speed though here.

So, once designed and built, I will buy to start an additional 3 Li-I batteries, more than doubling the range of the vehicle combination. 30 miles would be plenty for just about all needs I can imagine using this for right now.  3 more batteries would be $450, the trailer I can have welded up in my friends shop for maybe $200.

This is going to be a kick ass Mini-Bugout Machine!  I will set up the trailer with a "popup" Bivouac Sleeping Shelter so you can Park and instantly set up your shelter for the night while on the road.  I will make the base 4' long, with two sliding extensions that bring it to 6'.  That will comfortably house me in my sleeping bag.  It will have a single wide air mattress that inflates from an electric pump.  This should also be long enough to have 2 60W Solar PV Panels for charging once you reach your camping destination.

I have the PV panels, the additional costs here $2000 the most I think.

This is going to be the coolest ever Prep!  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Electric Bugout Machine Plans
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »

This is going to be the coolest ever Prep!  :icon_mrgreen:

RE

You aren't describing a prep. You are describing consumerism.

You live in Alaska for crying out loud, to get out of town you don't use the ROADS if you are seriously worried about zombies, hungry suburbanites in your neighborhood, or refugees from the resource wars that never seem to occur.

I spent a summer in the Cabinet Mountains of Montana once upon a time…and this was all that was required….plus a 30-06. In Alaska you could live a year with this much gear, while all the humans that disgust you off themselves, eat each other, and die off.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »

That is true in a sense, but not much different than the little scooter you bought or the EV either.  Just a little different in application really.

The prep aspect is that you are preparing for a time when the gas either becomes too expensive or is unavailable to buy at any price.  Having a vehicle of some kind that runs on electricity gives you a little more time with more mobility.

Such a vehicle has a limited lifespan of utility, since once the petroleum based economy breaks down, it won't be long before the electrical infrastructure breaks down too, so you'll be left with charging it up from your solar PV cells.  Then when the batteries give out, you are unlikely to be able to replace them, and about the only utility left would be to repurpose it as a wheelbarrow.

I look at it this way.  Say instead of living here on the Last Great Frontier, I lived in New York, where owning a car is a nightmare.  I get offered a job in Springfield, MO, where there is terrible Public Transportation.  I could move there and have wheels to commute to work.

Even up here, say I decided to quit working and go live further out.  Not all the way into the bush, but more remote than Alaska Suburbia here in the Mat Valley.  I could throw this thing into my Bugout Machine, drive it to say Talkeetna and park it next to a nice river to fish from. I could then use the Ezip to zip into town periodically too buy stuff, long as stuff is still there to buy anyhow and the money still works.  After that, I barter some of the fish I catch for whatever the other locals are hunting down or growing.

So, it is a kind of transitionary vehicle which doesn't work in complete collapse, but in partial collapse has utility for a while.  The very last resort is to go out into the bush, but unless you go with a community or you are Eustace Conway, you won't last more than a year or two by yourself.  I would not, that is for sure.  I also have no desire to go live in the wilderness by myself.  I'd do it with friends, but not alone.  Right now, I don't know enough people who I would want to hang with that wanna head out into the bush of Alaska.

So, consumerism?  Yes, that's a valid criticism, but it is consumerism with a purpose, which is to prepare for the "Long Emergency" rather than the "Fast Collapse".  Covering the bases, as it were.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
I thought you also wanted to use it as a bugout machine. Im all for everyone adopting EV's. I wanted to do a conversion on a lightweight classic car with good ground clearance and  robust chassis, but Ive found that a few days of fog and cloud flattens my batteries, even though I have enough panels for charging an EV as well as normal household use in sunny weather. Seems every good EV I like is not available here, I was interested in a Tesla 4x4 and the Stealth e-bike but neither have any dealers here.

I dont know about other places but in the last city I lived in I wanted to use the train and a bike to commute to work but the stupid system is that you can not take bikes on the train during morning and afternoon peak hours. If they reserved one carriage specially designed for bikes it would do a lot to relieve the traffic problems.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »

That is true in a sense, but not much different than the little scooter you bought or the EV either.  Just a little different in application really.

I bought two scooters. I bought the first one because the wife demanded it, and after a year of whining about it, I figured she really did want one. I drove it home from the dealership, and when I started riding it more than she did, she told me to go get my own. So I did...the things are an absolute riot. And when they achieve 6000 miles in use, each one will have paid for itself in gasoline savings, after that it is pure gravy.

I bought the EV for the same reason I insulate the house or use the electricity from the PV's on the roof, I'll trade CapEx for OpEx every time. Unlike those rationalizing end of world scenarios to buy, build or work towards some goal, I do things because I choose to. And I choose to follow the scenario of  "every dollar you invest that means you don't spend $10 in the future, do it".

My scooter means I don't turn on a car. When I turn on a car, I don't want it to require expensive fuels, but much less expensive and "support your local economy" type fuels, some of them right from the rooftop. Collecting fuel from the sky as it were, you can't beat a CapEx investment any better than that.

All of these are economic decisions based on BAU and what I choose to do with my discretionary dollars.

So you are saying you buying solar bicycle gizmos...in Alaska, is one of those wise type moves, or are you doing it because you want to run around town hootin and hollerin like I do on my scooter because it is so much fun?

Quote from: RE
The prep aspect is that you are preparing for a time when the gas either becomes too expensive or is unavailable to buy at any price.  Having a vehicle of some kind that runs on electricity gives you a little more time with more mobility.

Not "too expensive". "More expensive" is quite sufficient.

Quote from: RE
So, consumerism?  Yes, that's a valid criticism, but it is consumerism with a purpose, which is to prepare for the "Long Emergency" rather than the "Fast Collapse".  Covering the bases, as it were.

RE

Hey, cover away. And as long as it can be used during the normal BAU that has been going on since the invisible collapse of 2008, you can call it dual use technology, base out of the RV as your road trip up and down the Alcan, certainly it isn't as though it will go to waste, right?

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
I thought you also wanted to use it as a bugout machine. Im all for everyone adopting EV's. I wanted to do a conversion on a lightweight classic car with good ground clearance and  robust chassis, but Ive found that a few days of fog and cloud flattens my batteries, even though I have enough panels for charging an EV as well as normal household use in sunny weather. Seems every good EV I like is not available here, I was interested in a Tesla 4x4 and the Stealth e-bike but neither have any dealers here.

I dont know about other places but in the last city I lived in I wanted to use the train and a bike to commute to work but the stupid system is that you can not take bikes on the train during morning and afternoon peak hours. If they reserved one carriage specially designed for bikes it would do a lot to relieve the traffic problems.

For myself to use such an assembly as a Bugout Machine, things would have to have spun down pretty far.  The main reason I would put it together, if I do, is as an example for people who live in situations where they don't have a lot of storage room, can't afford even a car much less an RV and probably have a close to minimum wage job.

Going back to my Springfield, MO example, say you got a job at Pep Boys selling auto parts.  You make $10/hr.  You can have all your personal stuff to carry on your little trailer.  You rent a studio apartment.  You tool back and forth to work at Pep Boys, no problem.  Then you get a weekend job over in Ozark that pays great, but you gotta get there for the weekend.  You hook your little trailer up to the Ezip, now you increased your range to get to Ozark and camp while you build a Permaculture Garden for somebody.  The little old lady you do the work for pays you $500 out of her Social Security and savings to do this.

Then your Resume up on Monster.com for the last 5 years finally gets a hit and you get offered a 6 figure job in Denver as a Web Designer.  You could either drive the rig there recharging at motel rooms, or more likely drive to the Amtrak station in Columbia, throw it on the train and speed to Denver.

If you live in Tornado Alley, you keep your rig in the Storm Shelter all the time.  When your Mobile Home gets blown to Oz, you and your rig come out of the Storm Shelter unscathed, and you GTFO of Dodge and cruise to another town not yet blown off the map by an F5 Tornado.

Far as bringing these things onto Commuter Trains, that has been a hassle even with Bicycles.  When I lived in NY, they FINALLY got a bike pass for the LIRR so you could bring your bike onto the trains, but yea there were restrictions during heavy commuter times.  If we don't get complete collapse, a nice transition would be trains/carriages specifically designed for people with bikes or electric scooters.

I still think that Stealth bike is too expensive.  You can buy a Polaris Ranger EV for the same price.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Hey, cover away. And as long as it can be used during the normal BAU that has been going on since the invisible collapse of 2008, you can call it dual use technology, base out of the RV as your road trip up and down the Alcan, certainly it isn't as though it will go to waste, right?

I put this post up, but WTF are you compelled to be snarky all the time?  Can't you have a single conversation without slipping in snide remarks?  You are a big fan of EVs, but soon as I write about them, you poke fun at it and imply all sorts of hypocrisy involved in buying one.

We've been through the hypocrisy issue.  Jumping off the current system is not something any of us can do, nor in many cases even want to do.  Hell, Guy Mcpherson is currently down in Ecuador.  He didn't grow wings and fly himself down there.

You are getting on my case for being a "Consumerist" because I am buying an Electric Scooter?  This is what makes you so annoying to chat with. 

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Bicycles: New Glitch
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
Just received this email from Eco Wheelz:

Thank you for your recent purchase from eCo Wheelz!

Unfortunately, we just sold our last EZIP E-1000 earlier this week, and Currie Technologies (EZIP) is also sold out.

Since I'm not sure when more of these scooters will be available, I've fully refunded your order.

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion...

BAH!  Looking for a new vendor.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Bicycles: New Glitch
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
Now ordered again from Afterschool.com, for $540.

Good newz is this company promises delivery in 3-5 days.

That is if they turn out to have it in stock.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
yeah a polaris makes way more sense especially if you can get away with using it on  the road. The stealth is fast enough that you would get frostbite from the wind speed and cant carry a passenger or any other things, which a polaris can, also polaris has a good reputation.

Good scenario of future personal transport, especially for someone with a knee reconstruction or other problem preventing them cycling too far, or many friends and relatives  I can think of who would just never bother or even keel over. But I would suggest also that unless motels are very cheap, Bart Simpson bugging out of Springfield should camp out.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME