AuthorTopic: Electric Bicycles  (Read 53629 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Bicycles
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »
Motorized bikes have caught on here in the city proper. There are several shops. The bikes seem to be preferred here over the scooters.

http://www.electricavenuescooters.com

http://rocketelectrics.com

http://www.alienscooters.com
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2016, 05:58:26 PM »
Motorized bikes have caught on here in the city proper. There are several shops. The bikes seem to be preferred here over the scooters.

Weather around there is more or less ideal for them.  I've looked at some of the bikes also, some pretty cool units there as well.  The bikes seem to be mainly "electric assist" though, and I'm not sure how fast they go or how good the torque is if you don't pedal along.

I'm also trying to keep my Hardware consistent and sticking with 36V motors and the same batt types and speed controllers and throttles, so this is interchangeable and I gain spares along with the new units.

What's the Bike Lane situation like around Austin, and what are their rules on electric bikes and scooters on the roads?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
Austin has a strong cycling community for historical reasons (Lance) and because it's good riding weather, terrain, etc. (if you like hills). Bike lanes are not as good as they could be. It's a constant struggle on the part of those who ride to get the city to do something. There are still lots of places with no bike lanes, and people get run over fairly frequently.

I know you don't have to have a motorcycle license for the smallest scooters, but I'm hazy on the letter of the law. I have a motorcycle license, so I never had to worry about it.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »
Austin has a strong cycling community for historical reasons (Lance) and because it's good riding weather, terrain, etc. (if you like hills). Bike lanes are not as good as they could be. It's a constant struggle on the part of those who ride to get the city to do something. There are still lots of places with no bike lanes, and people get run over fairly frequently.

I know you don't have to have a motorcycle license for the smallest scooters, but I'm hazy on the letter of the law. I have a motorcycle license, so I never had to worry about it.

I'm not so much concerned with drivers license as with whether you need to register and insure, and what the rules are for riding bikes and scooters on the roads themselves if bike lanes are not available.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
STIGO Ewz: RE is on Schindler's List
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2016, 02:55:45 AM »
I am on the list of the first 500 people to get a STIGO if the thing actually gets into production.  According to the latest email, they are almost booked up now for the first run.

At the current Euro-Dollar exchange rate it runs around $2000, with the 20% Discount for being one of the first Guinea Pigs to buy it, it comes in at $1800, $300 over my limit but within reason to get something so cool.  :icon_sunny:

It appears to be being produced in Estonia, which is also interesting and means if the thing doesn't work right I am totally screwed. lol.

It runs on a 36V motor like my Ewz, but it is using LifePo batts that are proprietary, which means I probably will not be able to get them replaced too easily.  However, they have a very long lifespan if manufactured properly and I will only use this for very specific purposes when I need to use Public Transportation in combo with the Ewz.  So if it is manufactured decently, I would hope for it to last as long as I do.  Most of the time I will use my regular Ewz, or another one I buy that comes in somewhat cheaper and uses SLA Batts like my current Ewz.

Getting it shipped from Estonia to AK is probably a No-Go, but I should be able to get it shipped to Eddie in TX or K-Dog in Seattle for pickup. Shipping will probably run another $200 or so my WAG.  I'm a little concerned about the low power motor at only 250W, but for the purposes I would use this one on smooth pavement with no hills and inside airports and stores, it should work OK.  This also keeps it inside Federal Regulations for an Electric Assist Vehicle, which requires no license, registration or insurance.  Looking at the Video, the prototype seems to work pretty good on the Streets of Paris.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2016, 06:28:56 AM »
That's a really nice design. Especially if you are a little guy.

Me, I couldn't even get one ass cheek on that thing.

But the fold-up idea is just terrific.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2016, 07:02:03 AM »

You don't need to get your ass cheeks on it. The seat wedges in there between them and you sit on your asshole.  :icon_sunny:  You can have asscheeks the size of beachballs on steroids, they just hang off either side.  lol.

The bigger issue is weight, if the load this motor (250W) is pulling is over 200 lbs it will struggle some even on a flat and smooth surface.  I really wish they had dropped at least a 500W motor on it.  My current Ewz has a 1000W motor, and this sucker will pull along 300 lbs total weight no problem even on a 20% grade, I tested it by loading weight on my rear carrier.  I weigh in at 165, so I can carry a lot of cargo.  If you are 200+, you can't carry so much along.

The quasi-off road unit I am looking at has a 1600W motor, that one should be able to pull up a 30% grade.  This unit however is just for the flats and for scooting around town and through stores.  It would work I think for anyone under around 250 lbs in beef on bone.  Are you past that?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »

You don't need to get your ass cheeks on it. The seat wedges in there between them and you sit on your asshole.  :icon_sunny:  You can have asscheeks the size of beachballs on steroids, they just hang off either side.  lol.

The bigger issue is weight, if the load this motor (250W) is pulling is over 200 lbs it will struggle some even on a flat and smooth surface.  I really wish they had dropped at least a 500W motor on it.  My current Ewz has a 1000W motor, and this sucker will pull along 300 lbs total weight no problem even on a 20% grade, I tested it by loading weight on my rear carrier.  I weigh in at 165, so I can carry a lot of cargo.  If you are 200+, you can't carry so much along.

The quasi-off road unit I am looking at has a 1600W motor, that one should be able to pull up a 30% grade.  This unit however is just for the flats and for scooting around town and through stores.  It would work I think for anyone under around 250 lbs in beef on bone.  Are you past that?

RE

:emthup: :icon_sunny: Thank you for that excellent real world info on electric motors.

I've been reading up on it lately and it turns out there is a whole subculture of electric bike hot rodders out there goosing their motors with ever more powerful batteries.

The larger the motor, the bigger the battery pack you need to get the same range at the rated wattage of the motor. But electric bike hot rodders don't care. They just want to make a fool of some fossil fueler driving an internal combustion powered sports car at a stop light!

These "over clocked" (they sort of do the same thing to bike electric motors as gamers do to computers;D) electric bikes WILL go zero to sixty in a VERY short amount of time. At any rate, since they are so light compared with a car, they disappear from a stop light before the gas guzzler knows what hit him!

Of course they race each other too.  8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:14:07 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »

RE

:emthup: :icon_sunny: Thank you for that excellent real world info on electric motors.

I've been reading up on it lately and it turns out there is a whole subculture of electric bike hot rodders out there goosing their motors with ever more powerful batteries.

The larger the motor, the bigger the battery pack you need to get the same range at the rated wattage of the motor. But electric bike hot rodders don't care. They just want to make a fool of some fossil fueler driving an internal combustion powered sports car at a stop light!

These "over clocked" (they sort of do the same thing to bike electric motors as gamers do to computers;D) electric bikes WILL go zero to sixty in a VERY short amount of time. At any rate, since they are so light compared with a car, they disappear from a stop light before the gas guzzler knows what hit him!

Of course they race each other too.  8)

Larger motors pull more juice IF you run them at their maximum wattage, but you don't do that in most circumstances.  The larger the motor, the less of its capacity you generally are using.  So in practical terms, my 1000W Ewz has the same range as the model that comes with a 500W motor on typical terrain and road surface with the same battset.  The difference is in the torque it can generate when needed for going up steeper hills or pulling more weight.  It's good to have the spare capacity.

You can get more speed out of them in a couple of ways, first is to just disable the speed controller.  Then a unit like mine would probably do 30mph pretty easily.  You can also safely over-volt a motor of its designed voltage by about 50%, so I could go as high as 54V on a 36V motor, or really 48V to be safe with one more 12V batt wired in series.

However, I am not concerned with going much faster, I just want the TORQUE available to pull a trailer with 150 lbs of preps on it, including a folding solar panel with which to charge it up when not in range of grid power.

With my current unit, I could probably pull 80 lbs of preps or groceries along with a trailer coming in around 20 lbs.  I never buy 80 lbs of groceries at once.  Of course these days, a grocery trip at most comes back with 20 lbs at a time, but I'd like one that could pull more in the situation where I travelled less often and brought back more at once from the food supply depot.  So I am looking at a 1600W Evo which runs around $700.

There is a good reason to stay at 750W and under, which is Federal Regulations that supercede State Motor Vehicle laws.  By Federal Statute, electric vehicles which do no more than 15mph with motors 750W and under are considered "electric assist vehicles" and do not require license, registration, inspection or insurance.  You are completely free of the bureaucracy!

A 750W Ewz over most terrain will be able to carry a total payload around 240 lbs.  For me at 165 lbs, this means on such a scooter with no trailer I could load another 75 lbs of cargo.  On my current unit, I have a Front Basket, 2 rear pannier folding baskets and the carrier the baskets hook to.  Also I can use the Platform for bigger heavier items, that is where I put a case of beer when I go on a beer run.  :icon_sunny:  Finally, I could wear a backpack as well for more cargo capacity, but you really don't need it.

The rated range for the battsets is usually 12-15 miles depending on terrain and load, but with one battset I would keep my round trip range with no recharge to 10 miles to be safe.  However, I have a second spare battset I can take with me for longer trips.  That weighs in at around 20 lbs, so cargo capacity is reduced by that much if I carry it.  However, I never do these days, because I don't go more than a couple of miles each way for any trips with it.  If I am going further than that, I use the SUV.  I can of course also throw the Ewz into the SUV to use wherever I drive to.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RE's Future Super-Duper Off Road Ewz (maybe...)
« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2016, 08:28:19 PM »
I have FOUND the perfect Off Road Ewz!  :icon_sunny:    Made (mostly) here in the FSoA in WV.  I will take a tour of their factory when I fly down to the lower 48 this summer.

Excellent power and range, up to 58 mph with around a 70 mile range on a charge.  Plenty of cargo capacity on the heavy duty frame with good towing capacity.

Only two things are negatively weighing on the decision to buy one, and they are inter-related.

1- Price: Around $8500, and with taxes and other fees probably comes in at $10K.  That's a lot to spend on such a toy.

2- Do I really NEED this toy? ???  :icon_scratch:   It would be nice for longer trips around once my campsite is set up so I wouldn't have to drive the van and could leave it parked most of the time.  I also could carry more Gold off AZ's mountain!  ;D

In reality though, I can use the van for resupply trips around town quite easily, and my current Ewz is quite sufficient for tooling around any destination I park the van at.  It also needs registration and insurance to be street legal.  Overall, I probably would not use it all that much, it adds extra overhead costs and substantial bulk and weight to my trailer (it comes in around 400 lbs).  It also would be something of a bear getting it in and out of the trailer, I would need to devise some sort of winching arrangement for that.  So there are serious logistical problems to consider.

It sure is COOL though, and I WANT it! lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Colony Days Festival-AKebikes
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2016, 01:50:07 AM »

This is the weekend of the Colony Days Festival held annually in Palmer, Alaska.

It opens tomorrow and runs through Sunday, and the Parade is held on Saturday.

In prior years I have marched (or more often drove the float truck) for the gyms I worked for up here.  In the years I did not drive the float, I either rode my bike or used my Ewz right after I first got it in 2014.  I missed the Parade last year, I was in the worst period of my neck issues at the time.  :(

I am particularly excited about this year's Colony Days, because one of the Expos is for a NEW COMPANY based in my home town of Palmer, Alaska e-bikes.

It was founded last year, and I am pretty sure I know the guys who founded it, it's a couple of young guys who work in the Bike Shop in Palmer.  One of them worked on my Ewz last year (nothing big, flat tire replacement) and mentioned to me they were thinking of going into the Electric Bike market.

I will be hitting their Booth as well as others, and will do Interviews and take Pics & Vids as usual, cruising around myself on the Ewz.  I am going to talk to them about ideas I have for improving on these devices, and possibly investing in and joining the company.  I believe this is an excellent possibility for developing a Revenue Stream for SUN☼.

The weather tomorrow looks good, so I will try to get my interviews done and shoot pics.  I am concerned about weather for the Parade on Saturday, forecast calls for rain.  If it is a light drizzle (the usual on rainy days around here)  I'll do the Parade and Video, but I am not going to cruise around in a downpour.

I won't make the festival on Sunday, I am scheduled to go over the Renewable Energy Survey with Ugo and Gail on the Collapse Cafe.  The Diner is a never-ending job!  :icon_sunny:

More tomorrow after I get back from the festival.  As usual at these things, I gorge on Deep Fried Halibut and I usually need to nap after eating so much greasy food, so it might be late in the evening. lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Days Festival-AKebikes
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »

Very productive first meeting with the Alaska e-Bikes guys!  :icon_sunny:

Not the folks I though it was from the Palmer Bike Shop, but similar age range, late 20s.  Mountain Bike enthusiasts mainly, as many AK bikers are.

They are mainly selling Fat Tire bikes that are ideal in the off road conditions we have here, and thus useful for the Outdoor Adventure types.  However, they have numerous models with tires of normal width more suitable for riding on pavement.

Most of these bikes are "power assist", you do have to pedal them.  However, the power assist makes it MUCH easier, especially on hills where you can ride uphill as easily as on flat ground.

We did a video discussing the Legal aspects of these bikes with respect to DMV regulations, and all the ones he is selling skirt these laws nicely.  :icon_sunny:  So there is no insurance, no license, no inspection and no registration necessary.  I'll put up the video when I write up the full article after Colony Days Festival is over.

Here are a couple of Feature Models which are real good for Cargo:

This model is custom built by one of the engineers working with the group.  I didn't meet him yet, he's in transit on the Al-Can pulling his whole shop up on a trailer.  He's moving here from Oregon to join the bizness.  He should make it here by tomorrow afternoon.

This model is Off-the-Shelf and can function either as a Tandem for 2 people or as  Cargo Bike with the very long rear rack.  Both rear seat and rear handlebars are easily removed for cargo work.

The one weakness in these bikes IMHO is their motor wattage, generally 500W, half my Ewz power.  However, there are two different types of motor arrangements, mid-placement and Hub Motors.  With the mid-placed motors, you can use the bikes mechanical gearing system, and long as you properly choose the gear in a hill climb, even though the motor torque is not as high as my Ewz, they will climb just about any hill.  Basically according to Chris, you will flip over backwards before you hit a hill they won't climb.  We're talking 45 degrees or more here.

Currently they are not dealing in Scooters, and that is where I come in.  If we go forward, I will develop the Scooter end of the Bizness (and finance it).  The good parts here are first they have resolved most of the shipping issues using a freight forwader in Seattle and Lynden shipping, which is the biggest trucking biz in Alaska.  Second, they have two warehouses, one here in Palmer and they just leased a new space in Anchorage too.

Tomorrow I will ride my Ewz in the Parade as part of the Electric Bike convoy.  :icon_sunny:  I'll get some more video of that for the article.

Very exciting!  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:21:40 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RE: Ewz KING!
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
I have had replies from a few of my favorite manufacturers of a variety of 2 and 3 wheeled Ewz far as becoming a Distributor and Retailer of their products, and they are uniformly POSITIVE:icon_sunny:  None of them as of yet have broken into the Alaska Recreational Vehicle Market, which is large against the population base.

I am not sure now if I want to partner up with the guys from Alaska E-bikes or strike out on my own here. ???  :icon_scratch:

Still a lot of mechanics to work out on this, but it could turn into a very solid revenue stream for SUN☼    :icon_sunny:

This is the model Ewz I think has the best potential in the Alaska Market for the Hunters and Fishermen.

Depending what battset you fit it out with and what the motor configuration is, it has up to 140 miles of range on a charge with a max speed of 78mph.  The Frame is a dual configuration for extra rigidity and durability off-road.  Far superior to conventional 4-wheelers because it is almost completely SILENT and no exhaust odor for the Moose to pick up on.

I should be able to get started in this Biz for around $30K.  I am going to fit out my Van-Trailer arrangement as a Mobile Showroom with around 5 or 6 different models of e-bikes and scooters in different price ranges and styles.

Many details still to be worked out and of course I need my Check from the Settlement to get going, but this looks like the perfect Bizness for me to run in conjunction with the Diner and SUN☼ to help the Poor and develop Sustainable Living Systems!  :icon_sunny:

BIG BONUS is I will have Demo Models to cruise around on!  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:49:47 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »
Bigger wheels, please.
And panniers, or a trike with a decent lockable box, would be nice too.
The State is a body of armed men

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2016, 07:05:10 PM »
Bigger wheels, please.
And panniers, or a trike with a decent lockable box, would be nice too.

Don't worry, if I hook up on this I will be selling the manufacturers on those modifications for the product line.  :icon_sunny:

Before the Trike design though I will see if I can have a matching powered trailer with a lockable box built for the two wheelers.

Panniers and Cargo Capacity already available on the 2700 design for around town shopping and deliveries.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN