PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Electric Bicycles

AuthorTopic: Electric Bicycles  (Read 67471 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Bicycles
« Reply #270 on: November 30, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
Had I been in that thing when the pickup truck that front ended me drove into oncoming traffic last week I'd have been killed.  As it is I'm uninjured.  Electronics batteries and motors are all available but somebody needs to do more than slap the components together to make a solution that works.  Three wheeled electric carts are nothing new.  This one is wrapped in a light plastic shell.  That plastic might shatter in Alaska temperatures.  I'd check into what it is made of before I got one.

I've been to the factory, very nice machines.  He has clients all over the world, including Mother Russia.  It gets cold there too.  I wouldn't take it on the roads currently, I would use the bike paths.

RE

Yep. Gotta pick your spots. Might be fine for local travel, but on a highway? Not likely.
I found myself parked beside a woman who had a Smart ForTwo car last weekend. Really cute. I could not resist asking her about it. She laughed and was very gracious, said she gets that a lot. Said she loved riding it around town, and that it was a perfect commuting vehicle for in town trips. But that she would never take it on an out of town trip.

As AG noted about Contrary's wreck, when you're on the interstate and get rear ended by a drunk going over 100, you want to be wrapped in a steel cage.

Such machines are only for local commuting.  It only has a 45 mile range with the normal batt pack anyhow.  But that's all I need it for.  If I am going out on the highway, it is either my SUV or SaVANnah, which is a beast you don't wanna hit.  Except for big rigs and heavy equipment, it's the biggest 4 wheel vehicle on the road.

Fortunately as well, where I live is connected by bike paths to both downtown Palmer and Downtown Wasilla. I don't have to get out on the road with the carz at all.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »
Had I been in that thing when the pickup truck that front ended me drove into oncoming traffic last week I'd have been killed.  As it is I'm uninjured.  Electronics batteries and motors are all available but somebody needs to do more than slap the components together to make a solution that works.  Three wheeled electric carts are nothing new.  This one is wrapped in a light plastic shell.  That plastic might shatter in Alaska temperatures.  I'd check into what it is made of before I got one.

A Trike Electric with knobby tires makes things a little better.  This one from Z-electric is only $7K.

I've been to the factory, very nice machines.  He has clients all over the world, including Mother Russia.  It gets cold there too.  I wouldn't take it on the roads currently, I would use the bike paths.

RE

Yep. Gotta pick your spots. Might be fine for local travel, but on a highway? Not likely.
I found myself parked beside a woman who had a Smart ForTwo car last weekend.

Smart ForTwo Passion Cabriolet

Really cute. I could not resist asking her about it. She laughed and was very gracious, said she gets that a lot. Said she loved riding it around town, and that it was a perfect commuting vehicle for in town trips. But that she would never take it on an out of town trip.

As AG noted about Contrary's wreck, when you're on the interstate and get rear ended by a drunk going over 100, you want to be wrapped in a steel cage.

True, but the solution to this inertia of weighty four wheeled (and up) vehicles making hamburger out of humans in light EVs is to restrict the heavy vehicles. The fact is that light vehicles do not wear out roads. SO, companion, cheaply made lanes EXCLUSIVELY limited to LIGHT vehicles is the way to go. Of course the car manufacturers will be dead set against this because they won't make as much money selling smaller, lighter, environmentally friendly, extremely economical vehicles. 👎

However, that is already happening in Germany and the Netherlands. 👍 It is being done.

It could be done here CHEAPLY. It would save humungous amounts of money in fuel not needed, road repairs not needed and pollution not spewed. 

Yeah, I know, that makes too much sense to ever be implemented in the "Rational" USA.
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Quote from: AG
However, that is already happening in Germany and the Netherlands. 👍 It is being done.

Then how do they move freight? The draft from 18 wheelers barrel-assing down the road like they own it is enough to knock a Smart car off the road.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #273 on: November 30, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
You are right, RE. The T3-1 Micro  is a very nice machine. Expect the range to be goosed considerably as sales pick up. Battery technology is advancing in leaps and bounds. ✨ Even with present technology, it is child's play to double the range of this vehicle, simply because it is so light to begin with. 🌞

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1</a>

T3-1 Micro Quick Specs

Range at 25 mph -----------------------------45 miles (Base)
                                                                             57 miles (Lithium)

Top Speed ---------------------------------------40 mph

Battery Capacity -------------------------------- 4.1 Kwh (Base)
                                                                                6 Kwh (Lithium)

MSRP --------------------------------------------- $6,800 (Base)

(Lithium)                                                                $9,690

Read more:

https://www.zelectricvehicle.com/t3-1-micro-enclosed-trike
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #274 on: November 30, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Quote from: AG

Then how do they move freight? The draft from 18 wheelers barrel-assing down the road like they own it is enough to knock a Smart car off the road.

There are two issues here that you are addressing, not just one. Assuming you have no problem with low weight bearing companion lanes being built next to every Interstate Highway in the USA, the main threat to the small EVs and motorcicles and EV or ICE trikes using these lanes is the drunk driver on an average 4 wheeled vehicle, not the 18 wheeler. Truck drivers, as RE will undoubtedly testify, have a much better track record for safety than the average American driver.

True, the 18 wheelers are still out there and if they stray into a light vehicle lane, they can squeeze or squash them like bugs. It is a matter of probabilities. To reduce the probability of heavy vehicles, such as 18 wheelers, splattering light vehicles all over the place, automatic driving software, now being tested in Colorado, Arizona and Califiornia, is what we need to lower the probabilty of freight moving vehicles killing humans in light vehicles to close to zero. As you know, since the 1940's (at least), even before all the interstates were built, the USA was crisscrossed with "Truck routes". These roads were, in theory, made to handle the weight of freight without breaking apart. Cars generally stayed off of them and ran on roads that were not as beefed up for freight loads.

All that changed when the Interstates were built. BUT, as RE will also testify, the 18 wheelers are well known for destroying Interstate roads from overloading. Yes, they have load checking stations, but a lot of cheating goes on.

The point is that the ability of a road to handle weight, not the frequency of accidents where a heavy vehicle destroys a smaller one, has dictated what roads were built and where people drive. I am saying that a light, cheap lane system, plus the autopilot features on many vehicles, including the really heavy ones carrying freight, is the best approach to saving people money while polluting less.

So, the freight carrying vehicle is not the greatest threat. The greatest threat is the crazy/drunk/asleep/coked up driver. Yes, that is true. The only way to deal with this threat cost effectively, without going full fascist on the driving public, is to put barriers along the companion lanes. The cost of all that infrastructure will be more than compensated for by the savings in fuel and lack of pollution from the massively expanded use of small EVs.

Friend, we are really, really out of time on these transportation issues. I understand where you are at. My wife is in exactly the same place. But frankly, I think we are doomed with our current transportation habits.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:39:16 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »
You are right, RE. The T3-1 Micro  is a very nice machine. Expect the range to be goosed considerably as sales pick up. Battery technology is advancing in leaps and bounds. ✨ Even with present technology, it is child's play to double the range of this vehicle, simply because it is so light to begin with. 🌞

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1</a>

T3-1 Micro Quick Specs

57 miles (Lithium)

6 Kwh (Lithium)

Read more:

It gets better range if you upgrade to the Li-I Batts.  But 45 miles is enough for me.  Downtown Palmer is only 4 miles away, downtown Wasilla 6.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:39 PM »

T3-1 Micro Quick Specs

57 miles (Lithium)

6 Kwh (Lithium)

Read more:

It gets better range if you upgrade to the Li-I Batts.  But 45 miles is enough for me.  Downtown Palmer is only 4 miles away, downtown Wasilla 6.

RE

I noticed at the end of the video that they already have an option to double the range (extra battery just forward of the back seat) for those using the T3-1 Micro for deliveries. 💫 
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »

I noticed at the end of the video that they already have an option to double the range (extra battery just forward of the back seat) for those using the T3-1 Micro for deliveries. 💫 

Darien will also put a small motorcycle trailer hitch on it and you can put more batts in the trailer if range is an issue for you, but as I said this is not an issue for me for the way I would use it.  I have an outdoor outlet under the carport and it would recharge every night.  Plus, I wouldn't use it every day, I generally only go out on prep runs 2-3 times a week.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »

RE

I found myself parked beside a woman who had a Smart ForTwo car last weekend. Really cute. I could not resist asking her about it. She laughed and was very gracious, said she gets that a lot. Said she loved riding it around town, and that it was a perfect commuting vehicle for in town trips. But that she would never take it on an out of town trip.

I may have come off as negative but I'm making an observation.  Being negative is not my intent.  First look at that wheel.  That wheel is available as part of an electronic drive train that you can get from China on Ali-Baba.  All the separate components are available on the Chinese market at good prices.  I don't say the components themselves are good or bad.  Their quality actually improves every year.  This whole e-scooter market phenomena in all its forms has happened because of Chinese lithium battery technology.  I actually like it and it is not negative to just see it for what it is.  Understanding how all the kit parts work together allows me to understand the limitations and capabilities.

As good as the plastic shell may be this is still somebodies tinker toy.  A collection of parts.  Remember, I'm building one too,  My bike is the same technology.  I got some battery packs yesterday.  I almost have as many batteries as I need.  Next I mount them.  I'll be breaking open a pack from some kind of medical equipment today and it may have 15 batteries.  If they are all good I'm almost to my goal.

Another of my wheels.  I have three.  You can read the milli-amphour capacity of some of my tested and charged cells on the table.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
So...front wheel power or rear wheel power?

I think what you're doing is fairly amazing, btw. I'm willing to swear you in as an expert witness anytime.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #280 on: December 01, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »

RE

I may have come off as negative but I'm making an observation.  Being negative is not my intent.  First look at that wheel.  That wheel is available as part of an electronic drive train that you can get from China on Ali-Baba.  All the separate components are available on the Chinese market at good prices.  I don't say the components themselves are good or bad.  Their quality actually improves every year.  This whole e-scooter market phenomena in all its forms has happened because of Chinese lithium battery technology.  I actually like it and it is not negative to just see it for what it is.  Understanding how all the kit parts work together allows me to understand the limitations and capabilities.

As good as the plastic shell may be this is still somebodies tinker toy.  A collection of parts.  Remember, I'm building one too,  My bike is the same technology.  I got some battery packs yesterday.  I almost have as many batteries as I need.  Next I mount them.  I'll be breaking open a pack from some kind of medical equipment today and it may have 15 batteries.  If they are all good I'm almost to my goal.

Another of my wheels.  I have three.  You can read the milli-amphour capacity of some of my tested and charged cells on the table.

Nice work! I agree that small EVs are, of course, a collection of parts. However, I find the term "tinker toy" to be inappropriately demeaning of a very useful vehicle. Yes, it may be overpriced from your engineering knowledge base standpoint. But, most people do not build their own vehicles, no matter how much they could save by building them. So, I think these small EVs, safety issues and all, will have a greater and greater market share of privately owned vehicles as time goes by.

Here's a slightly bigger model EV from the Z-Electric Micro folks. I like it because you can put a LOT of groceries in the back.

⚡ T3-5D

The T3-5D is the continuing extension of our T3 line of enclosed trike vehicles. From listening to feedback, we added extra doors and leg room for the rear passengers as well as a rear cargo door and fold flat rear seats. We made it go faster and farther and kept it all in a small frame with full hand controls for accessibility. Everything great about the T3-1 and more. 

Quick Specs

Top Speed ------------------40 mphwith lead battery                                     
                                       47 mph with lithium

Range at 30 mph -----------58 miles 68 ah battery                    70 miles with 80 ah battery
                                                                                           100 miles with lithium 100 ah battery

Continuous Power ---------3000 watts

Battery Type ----------------Lead Silicate in 68 or 80 ah
                                                 Lithium in 100 ah

MSRP ------------------------$7,261with 68 ah battery                        $8,178 with 80 ah battery   
                                                                                                   $10,990 with lithium battery

The T3-5 Door gets its name from its 4 side doors an its rear opening cargo door.  With its fold flat rear seats, this little vehicle can haul an impressive amount.  The rear cargo door is 39.4 inches wide and 37.8 inches high. When the metal floor is folded flat, the area is 39.4 wide X 43 inches long.

More Info:

https://www.zelectricvehicle.com/t3-5d-trike

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:37:18 AM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🛵 Electra-Glide in Black: The Ewz Modifications & Upgrades Project
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ql3l9C_qQ4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_ql3l9C_qQ4</a>

I have begun the process of modifying and upgrading my 2-wheel Ewz, the powerhouse 1000W 2-wheeled scooter I have owned for around 5 years I think.  I purchased it prior to becoming a Cripple, mainly as a fun toy to zip around on while my gymmies were running outside.  I had PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) prior to my accident which subsequently  totally crapped me out, but even before that I couldn't keep up with them on the mile run I had them do before official practice started in the summer training and conditioning season.

After the accident, the Ewz became an indespensible tool for me to maintain my independence and ability to get around the neighborhood for many daily tasks, like buying Booze & Cancerettes.  lol.

However, I have long felt I could turn this quite cheap little vehicle into something much more than it is right out of the box shipped to me from China.  It is seriously overpowered for a unit of this size, and it is NOT a toy you want to buy your kid to fool around on.  It can be fucking DANGEROUS for quite a few reasons I will detail as we move along in the modifications program.  There are however reasonably safe units available for kids at lower Wattages (Horsepower in Electric terminology, 1 HP = 745W), around 300W is a suitable power for kids around 12 & up IMHO.

The first step undertaken this week is extending its range with an auxiliary Batt Pack.  The unit has a Batt compartment that fits the 3 12V 10AH Deep Cycle SLA Batts it uses to power the 36V motor.  Bigger Batts don't fit the compartment.  What I did with the physical assistance of one of my friends in my Community (I can't wield a Soldering Iron too good no more) was fashion an auxiliary Batt Pack from 3 12AH Deep Cycle SLA Batts, which will more than double its range on a single charge from around 10 miles to around 22.  That is more than I ever even drive my car around the Mat Valley between Palmer and Wasilla.  There are also plenty of places I can scarf up FREE electricity in the various stores i visit that have their own crappy Cripple Carts.  While I shop, I can park my Ewz in with the other Cripple Carts, lock it up and use a store cripple cart for shopping while it recharges.  Unlike a Tesla or other large scale EVs, it doesn't take any kind of specialized charging station to charge up in a reasonable amount of time since it uses so little juice, relatively speaking.  With a 2.5A charger plugged into a typical AC outlet, I get 2.5 additional AH every hour it is plugged in.  So, for instance if I spend an hour shopping at Walmart, then head over to Kalahdi Brothers Coffee shop for a Double Shot Espresso Red Eye and some FREE Internet Wi-Fi, I plug in for another hour, another 2.5 AH.  From complete discharge to complete recharge of course takes 9 hours for both batts if done on one charger, but I have 2 of them and can charge each batt pack separately at home overnight or during the day in around 4.5 hours, while I take a nap or do some cooking.

Here is the 1st Test drive in the RE Testing Facility parking Lot of my Community:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTX1s1FYcz4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iTX1s1FYcz4</a>

Many further modifications are planned and in the works.  When I travel down to Seattle to inspect the SUN Monument/RE Tombstone on July 18, I will be getting together with K-Dog to work on another part of the project which entails doing some upgrade work on my 3-wheel folding Trike Cripple Cart, which I will be taking on the plane with me because its FREE for Cripples to take their mobility devices on the plane.  :icon_sunny:  They'll even Gate-Check it and you can drive your Cripple Cart right up to the Jetway to board the plane!  :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Further mods are planned for after I return from Seattle, with the project hopefully to be finished before winter sets in here on the Last Great Frontier.  I won't spoil it by detailing what I have designed and planned out here, since I'm not 100% sure everything will work as I think it will, but I am fairly confident.  If it does all work, suffice it to say I will have the most unique custom Cripple Cart on the Planet, and starting next Spring I will go on Tour with it as part of Brother RE's Traveling Collapse Salvation Show.  "Pack up the Babies and bring the Old Ladies 'cause Everyone Knows..."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhGMmmd9Ixs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nhGMmmd9Ixs</a>

RE
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:09:01 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Cripple Cart Construction Project
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2019, 04:40:28 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard, microphone & camera of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner July 14, 2019

Discuss the article & vids at the Science & Technology Table inside the Diner

It's been a bizzy week for both Kollapsniks and Cripples,and I have been overwhelmed with work to do in both areas.  I was working on editing a Collapse Cafe video I did with Jason Heppenstalll of 22 Billion Energy Slaves a couple of weeks ago, then George Mobus of Question Everything and I got together to discuss his new Systems Science book along with questions from the Collapse 2019 Survey early in the week as well.  Then I finalized plans for a Jet Setting, Fossil Fuel Burning trip down to Seattle in the Lower 48, set now for departure on July 18th of this week.  As much as I wanted to edit and publish the discussions with Jason & George though, in this case the approaching DEADLINE for the trip to Seattle took precedence over both.  Those vids will be aired of course, but in all likelihood not until after I return from this latest Globe Trotting Adventure at the End of the Age of Oil.

The main issue here is that I had to get my "Mobiility Device" (aka, "Cripple Cart") up to suff IMHO for travel with me, to provide me with a greater level of independence from Cripple Helpers than I have depended on for the last couple of Adventures I have taken since the catastrophic injury I was unfortunate enough to experience a few years ago.  I have never before taken either of my Cripple Carts along with me for the plane ride for these Adventures, in both the recent cases I rented Cripple Carts for those trips after I got there.  In this case, it was time to bring my own along for the ride, because I am actually using this trip as a Prep Run for an even bigger Adventure I hope to take either in late Summer of Early Fall.  For that Bucket List Adventure I absolutely must have my own Ewz with me for the trip, there is just no other way I can effectively accomplish it.

In any case, long time readers of the Diner who know me know I would NEVER consider a stock Cripple Cart right outta da box from China as "up to snuff" for such a momentous trip on the Bucket List of Adventures I still have planned before I Buy My Ticket to the Great Beyond here as the Collapse of Industrial Civilization begins to accelerate its downward trip to a low per capita energy future.  For such trips I need a really FIRST CLASS ride, which I could either pay through the nose for buying a really expensive one and unnecessarily burning a lot of my stash of cash that way; or I could BUILD IT MYSELF from some cheaper stock parts, cannibalizing a variety of machines to do it.  Cheapskate that I am, I chose Door Number 2, Monte.

Regular Diners also know that unlike many other Collapse Pundits, I am a DOER, not just a TALKER when it comes to Prepping Up for the oncoming (actually, ongoing) Collapse of Industrial Civilization.  I don't just Talk the Talk, I Walk the Walk.  Of course, I am no longer a Big Macho Man who can dig a fence post hole to the center of the earth with a shovel and pick axe (let me rent a Daiwoo Back Hoe and I can do as good a job as any other Heavy Equipment operator out there, though), nor do I have enough money to buy my own Doomstead and raise pigs; and my digs don't even have enough sunlight hitting my tiny back porch to even grow a few herbs back there (I may be able to grow my favorite fungi though, mushrooms).  I do however regularly write on how to eat cheap and well on a limited budget, demonstrating how to do it in the SNAP Card Gourmet and Cooking Zone videos.  I demonstrated food preservationg techniques in my Liver Pate canning videos as well.  I teach myself new skills all the time that I feel will be of help to me or others after SHTF day arrives, such as Candle Making and of course all my experiments with DC Electrics, which this article and video is all about.  I actively work at probably the most IMPORTANT aspect of Prepping for Collapse, DEVELOPING COMMUNITY, both in cyberspace on the net and here at home on the Last Great Frontier IRL.  That is what my Potlach Mobile Food Truck program is all about.

This set of videos on today's experimenting and testing is really about much more than just how to make a VERY COOL Cripple Cart on the cheap to cruise around on as you Jet Set your way around the FSoA and perhaps around the world if I last long enough.  It answers the question definitively about which are better to prep up with, AC line powered electric tools or batt powered electric tools?  Many preppers favor the A/C powered tools because the logic goes that after SHTF day arrives, you're not going to be able to drop in at Lowe's (don't shop Home Depot!)  Well folks, you really don't NEED those proprietary batts, and in coming videos I will show you how to power any tools you have with some very basic tools and systems any prepper should have in his arsenal of preps.  Just as a Teaser, be sure you pack away a good supply of Solder and a Soldering iron in your Bugout Bag! lol.

It also answers some very important questions about the feasibility of using Electric Vehicles for transportation in the post-Collapse world.  Will they be Teslas?  Unlikely. Too fucking EXPENSIVE, too fucking COMPLICATED!  But, simple EVs such as the kind I experiment with can be put together from vey simple parts, many of which will be available in the automobile graveyards of the world once the gas runs out for the ICE powered motors.  Batteries, alternators, wiring, fuses, they are all there in the average junked car recently totaled on the Eisenhower Interstate.  Bicycle frames also available by the truckload at yard sales everywhere.  Electric motors powering everything from Power Tools to Boat Trolling Motors to fans and winches.  You give me $1000 and a trip to a few junkyards, and I'll have you a working vehicle that will do upwards of 20 mph inside a month.,

I hope you enjoy these vids today as much as I enjoyed making them.  Next week, you should see the Cripple Cart on Steroids touring its way around Ted Stevens and Sea-Tac airports and around the Seattle Tacoma neighborhood.  I can wait! ๐Ÿ™‚

Heading to 3 Bears for Cancerettes

The Return from 3 Bears

How much Cargo Carrying Capacity does a Power Tools Battery powered Cripple Cart have?

Celebrating SUCCESS with Chili Dogs in the Potalch Parking Lot

For those of you who missed it, here is a vid done last week working on improvements to the range of my other 2-wheeled Ewz, which I wrote about inside the Diner in a post called "Electra Glide in Black"

BTW folks, I am not even halfway done with the Mods I have planned for my Globe Trotting Cripple Cart.  You ain't seen nuthin' yet! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll see you down by Fire Lake.  Remember Uncle RE?  He was the one afraid to cut the cake.

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🛵 Cripple Cart Construction Project Update
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2019, 03:02:50 AM »
Now UP on Global Economic Intersection!  :icon_sunny:

http://econintersect.com/pages/opinion/opinion.php?post=201907172256

Later this morning also begins the BIG TEST of all the Mods and Upgrades to the trike for the Bucket List Trip to Seattle.  Cripple Cab Company due to arrive at 7AM for transporting me and my Cripple Cart on Steroids to the airport.  Can't WAIT to go through TSA Security with this fucking rig. lol.

I will be reporting from Ted Stevens Airport in Anchorage, assuming of course I actually CLEAR security, as well as all the airline rules for transporting Cripple Carts, which I have read in full RE detail and am prepared to argue the shit out of them if they give me any grief.  lol.  Then I call my friend the editor-in -chief now of the Frontiersman (he used to be sports editor when I was coahing and wrote some articles for the paper), and Alaska Airlines will get thoroughly ROASTED both here on the Diner and locally here on the Last Great Frontier too!  ;D

All systems have been thoroughly tested this week and I hope not to have any Elon Musk style rocket explosions on the lift-off pad. 🤞  lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Cripple Cart Construction: Like a BAT OUT OF HELL...
« Reply #284 on: July 26, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
I just picked up a barely used Electric Wheelchair from the granddaughter of a recently deceased cripple.  He only used it a couple of times before the Grim Reaper collected him.

This was the Used Car buy of the century.  The cripple cart was in a storage unit and not looking too good.  Nobody was going to buy this thing, it looked like a hunk of junk.  It didn't run, I suspected just because of dead batts.  But even if there were more problems, there is so much good hardware on this chair I had to buy it, if I could get a good price.

It's not really a chair, it's a fucking TANK! Weighs a ton (well, 300 lb or so).  I went over to this lady's storage unit with a couple of the young guys from my Community who could lift it into SaVANnah.  It didn't work, as expected, but from my examination there was nothing fundamentally wrong with it.  Here it is back home in the digs:

Used EwzChair 1
Used EwzChair 1

This type of chair is for real, SUPER Cripples.  It has hydraulics that lift you up to stand up.  They are VERY expensive, like $10K expensive.  I don't need this type of unit (yet), but the hydraulic hardware I can repurpose for other tasks.  Here's a similar type of chair:

Brand spanking new, the above chair retails for around $13K.  Guess how much I paid for my hunk of junk out of a storage unit on the Last Great Frontier?  $300! lol.  I could have got it for less too, but I didn't feel like bargaining and that's a fair price.

Now you ask, but does it WORK? ???  :icon_scratch:  Yes folks, it does, even the fucking hydraulics work, that's a bonus I never expected.  It runs on not one but TWO motors, that allows the wheelchair configuration to basically turn on its own footprint running one wheel forward and one backward.  The Computer Controller and joystick, also working!   :o

The Cannibalization of this unit will begin next week.  The Cripple Cart from HELL is about to be born!  Like a Bat out of HELL.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mHcF1aJhJbc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mHcF1aJhJbc</a>

Call me the Dr. Frankenstein of Cripple Carts!  It will LIVE!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xMxsLKQidY4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xMxsLKQidY4</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can