AuthorTopic: Official Darwin Awards Thread  (Read 3718 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Official Darwin Awards Thread
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:38:11 AM »
Kicking off this one with a story from South Carolina.

Whoville Neighbors of LD?

RE

From Zero Hedge

Who could have seen this coming? USA Today reports deputies have charged an 18-year-old South Carolina woman with the fatal shooting of a male friend who had donned a bulletproof vest and allegedly asked her to "shoot me."

As USA Today reports,

Deputies have charged an 18-year-old South Carolina woman with the fatal shooting of a male friend who had donned a bulletproof vest and allegedly asked her to "shoot me," according to local media.

The killing occurred Wednesday in Honea Path, S.C., after 25-year-old Blake Randall Wardell discovered the old vest in a garage where he had been hanging out with friends, WYFF-TV reports.

Anderson County deputy coroner Don McCown said Wardell asked Taylor Ann Kelly to "shoot me," the TV station reports.

Kelly allegedly fired a small caliber weapon at Wardell, but the bullet went through the edge of the vest and into his heart, McCown said.

McCown said there were as many as 10 other people at the home at the time. He said no evidence at the scene of a fight or struggle, The State newspaper reports.

"It wasn't a fight. They were actually going to take a shot at the vest," McCown said, according to the newspaper. "They were going to shoot the victim with the vest on. And he was shot in the chest, just above the vest."

He said the vest appeared to be 10 or 15 years old.

Wardell died at the scene despite attempts to apply CPR, WYFF reports.

Kelly was charged with involuntary manslaughter, which carries a five-year prison term upon conviction.

And that is America... (at least she didn't shoot him in the face)

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Official Darwin Awards Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:20:12 AM »
One of my kid's school friends asked his good buddy to shoot him in the butt with a BB gun, supposedly not loaded. This was several years back, and last I heard the BB was still in his ass.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:00:31 AM »

From Zero Hedge

[html]<p>Who could have seen this coming? USA Today reports deputies have charged an 18-year-old South Carolina woman with the fatal shooting of a male friend who had <strong>donned a bulletproof vest and allegedly asked her to "shoot me."</strong></p>

Watch Ryan Duffy get shot in the chest as he tests the strength of a fashion forward bulletproof vest made by Steven Seagal's personal tailor.

Hosted by Ryan Duffy | Originally released in 2009 at http://vice.com

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQM6zLiSn1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nQM6zLiSn1E</a>
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »
Piling on now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WE1DToxjJDo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WE1DToxjJDo</a>

The "Do The Earth A Favor and die Off Now" crowd may have a point.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Future Darwin Award Winners
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
...and the WINNER of this week's Darwin Award is...
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
...the ENVELOPE please...

RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/29/he-thought-a-book-would-stop-a-bullet-and-make-him-a-youtube-star-now-hes-dead/?utm_term=.ec109d826323

He thought a book would stop a bullet and make him a YouTube star. Now he’s dead.
By Katie Mettler June 29 at 5:40 AM

Play Video 1:30
Aspiring YouTube star shoots and kills boyfriend in stunt gone wrong
Embed
Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into a Minnesota jail after shooting her boyfriend Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet on June 26. Perez is charged with second-degree manslaughter. (Amber Ferguson/The Washington Post)

Before Monday, before the 911 call and police investigation, Pedro Ruiz III, an aspiring YouTube star in rural Minnesota, spent considerable time persuading his girlfriend to fire a gun at his chest.

There would be a thick encyclopedia between the muzzle and his body, authorities say he told 19-year-old Monalisa Perez. The pages, he reasoned, would stop the bullet.

He even had evidence that it had worked once before — a different book with an entrance hole but no exit.

So on Monday evening, the young couple positioned two cameras outside their home and prepared for their breakthrough stunt. They wanted fame, family said, and danger often brings it.

“Me and Pedro are probably going to shoot one of the most dangerous videos ever,” Perez teased in a tweet at 5 p.m. “HIS idea not MINE.”

It had been three months since the young couple added their vlog, La MonaLisa, to YouTube, where they posted clips of their daily lives and their 3-year-old daughter. They live in Halstad, Minn., a tiny town on the North Dakota border between Grand Forks and Fargo. Episodes featured shots from their home, the car or at the doctor’s office, which is where Perez revealed in May that she was pregnant with a boy.

Their shtick, though, was pulling minor pranks: doughnuts with baby powder instead of powdered sugar, feigning paralysis from a grocery store wheelchair, hiding hot peppers on an egg salad sandwich. Just this week, Perez posted a video of Ruiz doing a handstand inside a rotating fun house tunnel at the county fair.

But the bullet and book stunt was supposed to be their moment.

“I said, ‘Don’t do it, don’t do it,’ ” Ruiz’s aunt, Claudia Ruiz, told her nephew when he shared his idea, according to Valley News Live. “Why are you going to use a gun? Why?”

His response, she said, was simple: “Because, we want more viewers.”

With one camera attached to a ladder and the other propped on the back of a car, the couple staged their stunt, according to authorities. Ruiz held the book to his chest and Perez held the gun, a gold Desert Eagle .50-caliber pistol considered “one of the most powerful semiautomatic handguns in the world.”

From a foot away, court documents say, Perez fired.

This time, the bullet didn’t stop in the book but instead pierced Ruiz in the chest. Medics tried to revive him, authorities said, but he was declared dead at the house.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ...and the WINNER of this week's Darwin Award is...
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »

RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/29/he-thought-a-book-would-stop-a-bullet-and-make-him-a-youtube-star-now-hes-dead/?utm_term=.ec109d826323

He thought a book would stop a bullet and make him a YouTube star. Now he’s dead.

Play Video 1:30
Aspiring YouTube star shoots and kills boyfriend in stunt gone wrong
Embed
Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into a Minnesota jail after shooting her boyfriend Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet on June 26. Perez is charged with second-degree manslaughter. (Amber Ferguson/The Washington Post)

Before Monday, before the 911 call and police investigation, Pedro Ruiz III, an aspiring YouTube star in rural Minnesota, spent considerable time persuading his girlfriend to fire a gun at his chest.

There would be a thick encyclopedia between the muzzle and his body, authorities say he told 19-year-old Monalisa Perez. The pages, he reasoned, would stop the bullet.

He even had evidence that it had worked once before — a different book with an entrance hole but no exit.

So on Monday evening, the young couple positioned two cameras outside their home and prepared for their breakthrough stunt. They wanted fame, family said, and danger often brings it.

“Me and Pedro are probably going to shoot one of the most dangerous videos ever,” Perez teased in a tweet at 5 p.m. “HIS idea not MINE.”

It had been three months since the young couple added their vlog, La MonaLisa, to YouTube, where they posted clips of their daily lives and their 3-year-old daughter. They live in Halstad, Minn., a tiny town on the North Dakota border between Grand Forks and Fargo. Episodes featured shots from their home, the car or at the doctor’s office, which is where Perez revealed in May that she was pregnant with a boy.

Their shtick, though, was pulling minor pranks: doughnuts with baby powder instead of powdered sugar, feigning paralysis from a grocery store wheelchair, hiding hot peppers on an egg salad sandwich. Just this week, Perez posted a video of Ruiz doing a handstand inside a rotating fun house tunnel at the county fair.

But the bullet and book stunt was supposed to be their moment.

“I said, ‘Don’t do it, don’t do it,’ ” Ruiz’s aunt, Claudia Ruiz, told her nephew when he shared his idea, according to Valley News Live. “Why are you going to use a gun? Why?”

His response, she said, was simple: “Because, we want more viewers.”

With one camera attached to a ladder and the other propped on the back of a car, the couple staged their stunt, according to authorities. Ruiz held the book to his chest and Perez held the gun, a gold Desert Eagle .50-caliber pistol considered “one of the most powerful semiautomatic handguns in the world.”

From a foot away, court documents say, Perez fired.

This time, the bullet didn’t stop in the book but instead pierced Ruiz in the chest. Medics tried to revive him, authorities said, but he was declared dead at the house.

He picked the wrong handgun for that stunt. A .50 caliber Desert Eagle? Really? What an incredible moron. That gun will shoot through 24 layers of drywall.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiJLZZdDStI&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IiJLZZdDStI&fs=1</a>

Offline edpell

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »
Evolution in action. A good thing.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: ...and the WINNER of this week's Darwin Award is...
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 03:26:34 AM »

RE

He picked the wrong handgun for that stunt. A .50 caliber Desert Eagle? Really? What an incredible moron. That gun will shoot through 24 layers of drywall.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IiJLZZdDStI&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IiJLZZdDStI&fs=1</a>

I have to think, “Because, we want more viewers” will go down as one of the era's more memorable quotes. Along with, "But her emails..."

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
So - it is okay to call people stupid. I thought so. Just had to be the right format. I like picking on young couples too. Well, no, but let's pretend for the sake of argument! I'm sure that 19-year-woman deserves every bit of pain she's going to suffer for her accident of existence as she's criticized from the digital void by people who can't solve the world's problems, but sure as hell know how to hide.

Incidentally, this species killed Alan Turing. This species is the fucking Darwin Award. Maybe people like him are pissed now. Maybe next time there's a war the outcome is going to be different since playing on the team of the "good guys" is obviously futile.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 06:52:53 PM »
I feel sorry for the kid. He was just ignorant and caught up trying to pursue the karma of fame.

The karma of fame is not really something I'd ever want. It's always a trade for something. Something big.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »
I feel sorry for the kid. He was just ignorant and caught up trying to pursue the karma of fame.

The karma of fame is not really something I'd ever want. It's always a trade for something. Something big.

"I wanna Live Forever
I wanna learn how to Fly (Die)..."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2jh7N7Fldk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o2jh7N7Fldk</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 12:41:54 AM »
https://www.rt.com/viral/394945-livestream-poisonous-plant-china/
Woman abandons livestream after accidentally eating poisonous leaves (VIDEO)
Published time: 1 Jul, 2017 23:26

© Blagag! / YouTube

A woman had to abandon her livestream and rush to hospital after the “harmless” plant she was eating turned out to be poisonous.

Zhang, a 26-year-old Chinese woman, turned to livestreaming to make money but she got far more than she bargained for when she ate mouthfuls of the poisonous agave Americana plant, believing it to be harmless aloe vera.

However, far from being harmless, it is in fact highly toxic and contains “incredibly irritating” compounds of crystaline oxylate.

According to Eastday.com, Zhang noticed something was amiss when her mouth went numb.

The plant, which is native to the deserts of North America, is sold in China as an ornament and it looks similar to the aloe vera plant.

In the livestream she can be heard saying, “This is great,” however things quickly change and she exclaims “Oh, that’s bitter. That’s really bitter.”

Before long her voice turns hoarse and her mouth went numb. She also complained of a burning sensation in her throat. Zhang is forced to abandon the livestream and has to rush to hospital.

According to Shanghaiist she suffered from rashes and blisters and doctors were forced to pump her stomach to remove parts of the poisonous plant and save her life. She is now understood to be in a stable condition.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 06:31:02 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iwwTZdQBfO4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iwwTZdQBfO4</a>
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Darwin Awards: Man Bites Into iPhone Battery Causing it to Explode
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »
https://www.pcmag.com/news/358722/man-bites-into-iphone-battery-causing-it-to-explode

Man Bites Into iPhone Battery Causing it to Explode
The footage was taken in China last week and it shows the dangers of puncturing a smartphone battery.

By Michael Kan
    January 23, 2018 10:52PM EST

iPhone battery Explodes

If you're ever worried your smartphone battery is a fake, here's a tip: don't bite into it.

A man in China has learned this lesson the hard way. He chewed into an iPhone battery only to watch it explode.

Video footage of the incident has been circulating online. The explosion goes off right in front of the man's face as he stands inside a local electronics mart. But amazingly, no one in the video appears to be seriously hurt.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

The footage comes from an iPhone repair service called GeekBar, which is based in the Chinese city of Nanjing. The company originally posted it last week, claiming that the man in the footage was trying to test whether the battery was genuine or not. (Clearly it was real.)

Mishandling a smartphone battery is never a good idea. Over the years, lithium-ion batteries have shown their tendency to catch fire and explode whenever punctured.
Related

Apple's $29 iPhone Battery Replacements Available Now
    Apple's $29 iPhone Battery Replacements Available Now

That's because damaging a battery can cause it to short circuit and spark a buildup of heat, according to Battery University, a go-to resource on how lithium-ion cells work. That buildup can quickly cascade into "thermal runaway," forcing the battery cells inside to all overheat in a chain reaction.

"The temperature can quickly reach 500 degrees Celsius (932 degrees Fahrenheit), at which point the cell catches fire or it explodes," according to Battery University.

The key takeaway: don't mess around with your smartphone's battery. Other videos on YouTube have shown it's easy to trigger an incident when a lithium-ion battery is punctured. That can include stabbing one with a kitchen knife or shooting a smartphone with a bow and arrow.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN