AuthorTopic: Summer Solstice PAHHHTY!  (Read 3209 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Summer Solstice PAHHHTY!
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »

Off the Camera of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on June 21, 2014

Summer_Solstice_Sunrise_over_Stonehenge_2005

Discuss this Photo Essay at the Kitchen Sink inside the Diner

I just got back from my friend’s Doomstead where he held a Summer Solstice Party celebrating the Longest Day of the Year,  which here in Alaska is pretty long, it’s around Midnight now and still twilight outside.

Still celebrating the Plenty of the Age of Oil here on the Last Great Frontier, for how much longer I have no clue but enjoy it while it lasts!

No Celebration during the Summer in Amerika is complete without a BBQ.  I brought over a few Steaks from the Freezer to complement the copious supply of Burgers, Brats and Hot Dogs coming off the Grill in the Gazebo.

BBQGazeboInside

Inside the BBQ Gazebo.  The center table has a gas line running up to it from the ground. VERY COOL!

BarbequeGazebo

Off to the left from the outside of the Gazebo, you can see the famous Electra Glide in Black Electric Wheelz that the guy at the BBQ got trailered and barged up here.  I got my Camera Equipment on the new Cargo Rack.

FoodBeer

Watermelons, Chips and BEER to compliment the Animal Protein coming off the BBQ!

Kidz gotta have FUN too, so some Bouncy Toys were rented for the occassion!

KidzToyz1

The kidz get inside these Blow Up Spherical Air Mattresses and roll around.  Same general construction as an Air Mattress.  I did not try it out.  LOL.

KidzToyz2

The Blow Up Toys get SUPERSIZED!

KidzClubhouse

Kidz Clubhouse.  Great Mini-Doomstead!

Bonfire

Gotta have a BONFIRE!  Fortunately we have had decent rainfall lately, so Fire Danger is low at the moment.

PolarisRanger

A 4-Wheel Utility Vehicle an absolute must!  This is a Polaris Ranger like the one Peter bought, except the Gas Version not Electric like his.

FoldingGazebos

Coincidentally, we were talking about Portable Gazebos with new Diner Knarf inside the Diner.  Here are some examples.

I am of course sure to get HAMMERED on hypocrisy issues and conspicuous consumption, but who doesn’t still go to Thanksgiving Day celebrations etc?  File this under it lasts until it doesn’t.

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Solstice PAHHHTY!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:45:13 AM »
I am of course sure to get HAMMERED on hypocrisy issues and conspicuous consumption, but who doesn’t still go to Thanksgiving Day celebrations etc?  File this under it lasts until it doesn’t.

RE

Not from this pleased critic or Contrarian as I am called.

What a wonderful posting, May I ask what is on the grille or table the two ladies are looking at?

Keep up the good work and NORMAL postings; Alaska certainly looks like the place to be. We would be neighbors if I were a younger gent.

5 star post rating from Famed Contrarian critic GO *****  :laugh:

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »

Solstice watch takes Stonehenge by storm

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7Htcw62r6U&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i7Htcw62r6U&fs=1</a>

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »

What a wonderful posting, May I ask what is on the grille or table the two ladies are looking at?

No fancy BBQ going here, just Burgers, Brats and Hot Dogs.  Plus my ribeye steaks.

The table was Potlatch, mostly Salads, Veggie Dips, Cheese Plates, the usual.

Keep up the good work and NORMAL postings; Alaska certainly looks like the place to be. We would be neighbors if I were a younger gent.

As locations go, so far Alaska is holding up pretty good.  I will say though that even though this place is only a few miles from town, getting there and back once gas is in short supply or real expensive would be time consuming.  The place is NOT set up with any self-sufficiency systems.  This bunch of folks are not Doomers, they figure BAU will continue into the indefinite future.

RE
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:22:01 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

The place is NOT set up with any self-sufficiency systems.  This bunch of folks are not Doomers, they figure BAU will continue into the indefinite future.

With you, it's always SEVERE DOOM is just around the corner, right?  Well, I think the oligarchs turning the dials and twirling the knobs are not that stupid and know a slow collapse is in everyone's best interest. If one of them is "stupid", I think a family member steps in and hires "handlers".

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
As locations go, so far Alaska is holding up pretty good. 

The more I see and read about Alaska the more I realize it is God's last refuge for the weary.

Believe me RE, I would give my left nut to be able to move there and enjoy what is left of marvelous and lovely planet earth.

May I humbly suggest that your journey there was the wisest move of your life's journey?

http://www.pulsarwallpapers.com/data/media/967/Moonrise_St._Elias_Mountains_Alaska.jpg

:laugh:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »

The more I see and read about Alaska the more I realize it is God's last refuge for the weary.

Believe me RE, I would give my left nut to be able to move there and enjoy what is left of marvelous and lovely planet earth.

May I humbly suggest that your journey there was the wisest move of your life's journey?

Wisdom was not what got me here.  When I moved here, I was clueless about depletion issues, I just had my background in economics from the Wall Street Pigman years, and when Bear Stearns collapsed, I started reading up.  It took me about 6 months to put all the pieces together, and the rest is History as they say.

What got me here was either Luck, or the Finger of God.

Not too late to make the move here GO.  A few of your Gold Maple Leafs will buy this property in Talkeetna:

Talkeetna Doomstead

$299K for 10 acres right on the river, and you probably can chew him down to $250K.

Beats the hell out of spending your last days in Beantown.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »

Not too late to make the move here GO.  A few of your Gold Maple Leafs will buy this property in Talkeetna:

Do you happen to know the property taxes in the area?  Or any other "burden" type baggage expenses associated with owning a secondary property like this? 
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »
Do you happen to know the property taxes in the area?  Or any other "burden" type baggage expenses associated with owning a secondary property like this?

Talkeetna City Data

I do know that since 2009, lots of properties owned as second homes by people in the lower 48 who went underwater on the primary residence have been up for sale, many of them held off the market to keep the prices up.

If you hunt around, there are bargains to be found.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »

Alaska is certainly a beautiful place GO. My trips up the Haul road in June, down the Kenai to Seward in October, up and down the Alcan a couple times now, all were nothing but wonderful.

But before making any final decisions, you must become acquainted with their state bird. Personally. Only then can you really know how well it fits. Reduce grown men to tears they can.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
But before making any final decisions, you must become acquainted with their state bird. Personally. Only then can you really know how well it fits. Reduce grown men to tears they can.

I've never had a problem with Mosquitos here, they don't like me.

If you do happen to be someone who is attractive to Mosquitos, you can keep them at bay with Mosquito Netting and Electric Bug Zappers, which don't take much juice and can be recharged off your Solar PV cells or Micro Hydro system if you are right on the river.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »
Looks like a great party. A little celebration among friends is a good thing.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.