AuthorTopic: The Wealth Grab  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Wealth Grab
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
From GO:

"Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Makes me feel so foolish.  "

Oh, GO, don't take it so hard, gold and silver were just the thing... before the oil age, then the world changed and even Nixon couldn't resist cutting the dollar loose from a real gold backing. What gold did then was keep the government from printing too much money, and look where that has gotten us!!!  If only they had stuck to that worthless shinny metal that would have kept economic growth in check...

Now here we are nearing the end of the game, and you are right, it will be exciting, but don't think for one second that I favor that outcome.  I simply report it and then accept it and try to deal with it.  Stockpile gold?  Why?  I don't want it... Stockpile food, tools, boots, farm stuff?  Yup, that's what people will come for.  Don't think I don't know that, they will come, there are a half million people living within 50 miles of my little farm.  Come they will, like locust and they will eat everything in their path!

No, not going to stay, had a showing today, hope to see an offer soon.  I'm selling my little farm so I can go off to some far away place with cold winters and a short growing season, maybe to be RE's neighbor or somewhere else.  People might think these mountain valleys of southwest Virginia are defensible, and in a military sense they are but from looters and gangs of people that spill out of the cities?  No, I can't grow food, cut firewood, milk cows and make cheese and guard this place at the same time. 

Oh, and did I mention what the changing climate will do to farming in this country?

I'm really not looking forward to the world ahead.

So, GO, get that gold, keep Pussy Galore happy and enjoy your life.  Times are a changing, changing fast.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Wealth Confiscation & Destruction Rant...
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »
Now IN THE CAN!

I'll get it up in the next hour or two.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Wealth Confiscation & Destruction Rant...
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »
Now IN THE CAN!

I'll get it up in the next hour or two.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE

Happy to have helped with this rant.  Off to milk the dairy girls, look forward to hearing your rant!
RC

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
From GO:

Oh, GO, don't take it so hard, gold and silver were just the thing... before the oil age, then the world changed and even Nixon couldn't resist cutting the dollar loose from a real gold backing. What gold did then was keep the government from printing too much money, and look where that has gotten us!!!  If only they had stuck to that worthless shinny metal that would have kept economic growth in check...

Now here we are nearing the end of the game, and you are right, it will be exciting, but don't think for one second that I favor that outcome.  I simply report it and then accept it and try to deal with it.  Stockpile gold?  Why?  I don't want it... Stockpile food, tools, boots, farm stuff?  Yup, that's what people will come for.  Don't think I don't know that, they will come, there are a half million people living within 50 miles of my little farm.  Come they will, like locust and they will eat everything in their path!

No, not going to stay, had a showing today, hope to see an offer soon.  I'm selling my little farm so I can go off to some far away place with cold winters and a short growing season, maybe to be RE's neighbor or somewhere else.  People might think these mountain valleys of southwest Virginia are defensible, and in a military sense they are but from looters and gangs of people that spill out of the cities?  No, I can't grow food, cut firewood, milk cows and make cheese and guard this place at the same time. 

Oh, and did I mention what the changing climate will do to farming in this country?

So, GO, get that gold, keep Pussy Galore happy and enjoy your life.  Times are a changing, changing fast.

After you get that farm sold, you gotta hook up with LD & WHD & Roamer and get the SUNstead going.

Glacier View looked like a pretty good spot...

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 02:26:10 AM »
Surly, JD, you two are just too funny....  :icon_mrgreen:

We're here all week. Try the veal, and tip your waitresses…

JD at least has the virtue of being correct.

Want to hedge for the future? Be long potatoes.  Or rice and beans.

Amassing a store of gold will have the virtue of making you a target.  And it couldn't happen to nicer people.

That certainly sounds logical, wish I had been wise enough to figure it out.

Don't hoard Gold because it will make you a target since that is what they come for, the worthless Gold. Plus you will have deserved it being a low life Gold Bug.

Hoard a sack of potatoes instead. That's the way to go. It ain't worth dick, a sack of potatoes, so they won't target  you and you will be one of the good guys as well.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Makes me feel so foolish. 

Hi Golden Shower,

Always nice to see you raise yourself from between MKing's legs to post up some of that ineffable libertard wisdom you used to be famous for, before leaving with your master to preside over the coprophilia board.

Enjoy your gold. I hope it keeps you warm at night. Slice up a bar and fry it up with some eggs when times get tough.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 03:19:42 AM »
@Golden Retriever,

Duly noted and filed.

:icon_mrgreen:

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 06:04:58 AM »
From GO:

After you get that farm sold, you gotta hook up with LD & WHD & Roamer and get the SUNstead going.

Glacier View looked like a pretty good spot...

RE

Yes, Glacier View looks interesting.  Thanks for posting the July 4th festivities, looking forward to visiting.
Randy

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »

Don't hoard Gold because it will make you a target since that is what they come for, the worthless Gold. Plus you will have deserved it being a low life Gold Bug.

Hoard a sack of potatoes instead. That's the way to go. It ain't worth dick, a sack of potatoes, so they won't target  you and you will be one of the good guys as well.

Hi Golden Shower,

Always nice to see you raise yourself from between MKing's legs to post up some of that ineffable libertard wisdom you used to be famous for, before leaving with your master to preside over the coprophilia board.

Enjoy your gold. I hope it keeps you warm at night. Slice up a bar and fry it up with some eggs when times get tough.
C'mon, Surly, GO, play nice....  GO was just being a little sarcastic, you don't have to go ballistic on him, Surly....

What you're missing, GO, is it's not an either/or proposition.  FIRST one should make sure one's necessities are covered, THEN make sure one have the means to defend then, and FINALLY put one's excess wealth into gold and silver.  Okay if someone is very poor they might have to choose, but right now the best return on one's investment is food.  It still is an incredible bargain that one can buy enough calories for a year in bulk grains working less than a week at a minimum wage job.  And it's better to risk having someone take one's food than trying to take food from someone else and finding that no one has any.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:41:40 AM by jdwheeler42 »
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »

Hi Golden Shower,

C'mon, Surly, GO, play nice....

What you're missing, GO, is it's not an either/or proposition.  FIRST make sure your necessities are covered, THEN make sure you have the means to defend then, and FINALLY put your excess wealth into gold and silver.  Okay if you're very poor you might have to choose, but right now the best return on your investment is food.  It still is an incredible bargain that you can buy enough calories for a year in bulk grains working less than a week at a minimum wage job.  And it's better to risk having someone take your food than trying to take food from someone else and finding that no one has any.

You are an awful nice person JD and you are only trying to be helpful; however, you miss the point entirely.

I don't appreciate being lumped in with the other guy as not being nice, as you say either. Please JD, before you shoot your mouth off read for comprehension for who is being nice.

Your admonition of me in your posting without reference to your controlling Admin also is quit annoying to me.

Peace my friend, read for comprehension and please cmon and be fair.

My response to the episode has been censored as well, and as far as food goes, I have over 10 grand worth of it in storage, including a ten year supply of various canned fish which was discussed at length in my previous postings on the Diner. Please JD, understand whom you are talking too, an ass perhaps but not an imbecile.  :exp-angry:

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »

Hi Golden Shower,

C'mon, Surly, GO, play nice....  GO was just being a little sarcastic, you don't have to go ballistic on him, Surly....

What you're missing, GO, is it's not an either/or proposition.  FIRST one should make sure one's necessities are covered, THEN make sure one have the means to defend then, and FINALLY put one's excess wealth into gold and silver.  Okay if someone is very poor they might have to choose, but right now the best return on one's investment is food.  It still is an incredible bargain that one can buy enough calories for a year in bulk grains working less than a week at a minimum wage job.  And it's better to risk having someone take one's food than trying to take food from someone else and finding that no one has any.

I took GO's comments to be a little annoyed but still tongue and check as the saying goes, so I'm good with that. 

JD, you are very right, it is not an either or proposition.  I don't care if people have gold, that is their call.  I never had the money to buy such stuff even when I worked for Uncle Sam.  Thinking back about that, one of my early revelations was when I realized that with my wife and I working full time in Northern VA, we could only afford a small ranch in Fredericksburg, and could only afford one child.  My parents worked full time, dad was a street sweeper (got that job in 1932!) and my mom was a Med Tech.  They had a similar home and put three boys through school and had a good retirement as well. 

By the time I was 35 I realized that I would have to work until I was 75 to have that golden retirement and by the time I reached 45 I said I had had enough of the US GOV and was not willing to spend another 30 years there so I could then sit in "the home" for my final five or ten years.

So, no I am not one of those $200,000 who will take a haircut.  I was before I bought this farm and started doing this.  My son likes to say that the key to making a small fortune in farming is to start with a large one!

Going back to haircuts I think they will filter down soon enough.  This property has already fallen in value from $360,000 to $300,000 and that is not what I have been offered.  It will probably be less.  We could stay here and just keep working but I know that it is only a matter of time before the next crisis hits (either personal or national) and the average person that likes high quality food won't have the money to buy our products and then the next thing that will happen is the sheriff's auction.  Best to take Nicole Foss' advise and get out while you can with what you can.

When it is all said and done, not many will be sitting pretty.  Food and fresh water are the new gold and without fresh water farming comes to an end in CA and on the high plains no matter how much oil is sloshing around under the ground.  So, maybe MKing can tell us how the Ogallala aquifer can be refilled in a timely fashion, as well as Lake Mead....

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
  So, maybe MKing can tell us how the Ogallala aquifer can be refilled in a timely fashion, as well as Lake Mead....

On timescales that matter to humans, the flow of the Colorado will be what it is. No chance of recharge in the Ogallala at those time scales.

The answer is again contained within Econ 101, and the organizations and systems that make the basic lessons of economics work.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/national/programs/?cid=stelprdb1048809

Fortunately, as with oil and natural gas, the issue within any of our lifetimes isn't about running out, or even peaking. Water resources are far more abundant than oil and gas resources, they just aren't all sitting right where humans might hope. As with the original flood control on the Colorado, it becomes an issue of how much are you willing to pay to get it. They actually built desalinization plants along the California coast before....and then turned them off and let them rust...not needing the product. Certainly they may need to turn them back on. Depends on the intersection of those pesky supply and demand curves. Again.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 09:39:04 AM »
I took GO's comments to be a little annoyed but still tongue and check as the saying goes, so I'm good with that. 

Hi RandyC. It's a pleasure debating with you and becoming acquainted with you and your most interesting circumstance of being a real farmer.

Try an understand in a nutshell that we are on the same wave length with a difference in timing being our major difference it appears. While seeing the big trouble ahead that you do, my feeling is there will be much and serious inflation from today onwards, long before  the total breakdown occurs, if it does at all.

My buying of Gold is to try and protect myself  from the current and perceived inflation I think is coming before that dreaded arrival of the Apocalypse.. Guess I am what you call a slow doomer or light doomer  as we say on the Diner. I also hold out some hope for our future, probably because of my lovely grandchildren, so I am prejudiced. It is a belief of mine that there are some very extremely smart, constructive members of the human race, I certainly am not one of them, that have the ability to solve problems such as climate change and a weening from fossil fuels and our polluting ways.

We are also on the same wave when it comes to Nicole Foss, much of my food storage tendencies come from her wise council. Right or wrong she is certainly a brilliant well intentioned person as is her business partner Ilargi. You never will go wrong taking some advice or precautions from those two.

My sarcastic remarks from your posting came about only because of my frustration at your thinking I could possible think a Gold coin was going to do me any good on Doomsday, the day the whole system finally unravels. Gold is a financial monetary asset, not food, shelter, or water, let alone a gun.

Perhaps if you knew how many total and complete ass holes have told me you can't eat Gold over the past decades you would understand better my dismay and irritation.

Good luck with the farm and getting your price, the economy might be getting a bit better so perhaps you will get out OK. It is a pleasure talking with you.  GO

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »
  So, maybe MKing can tell us how the Ogallala aquifer can be refilled in a timely fashion, as well as Lake Mead....

On timescales that matter to humans, the flow of the Colorado will be what it is. No chance of recharge in the Ogallala at those time scales.

The answer is again contained within Econ 101, and the organizations and systems that make the basic lessons of economics work.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/national/programs/?cid=stelprdb1048809

Fortunately, as with oil and natural gas, the issue within any of our lifetimes isn't about running out, or even peaking. Water resources are far more abundant than oil and gas resources, they just aren't all sitting right where humans might hope. As with the original flood control on the Colorado, it becomes an issue of how much are you willing to pay to get it. They actually built desalinization plants along the California coast before....and then turned them off and let them rust...not needing the product. Certainly they may need to turn them back on. Depends on the intersection of those pesky supply and demand curves. Again.

Oh dear, your quoting the NRCS....

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

Hi Golden Shower,

C'mon, Surly, GO, play nice....

What you're missing, GO, is it's not an either/or proposition.  FIRST make sure your necessities are covered, THEN make sure you have the means to defend then, and FINALLY put your excess wealth into gold and silver.  Okay if you're very poor you might have to choose, but right now the best return on your investment is food.  It still is an incredible bargain that you can buy enough calories for a year in bulk grains working less than a week at a minimum wage job.  And it's better to risk having someone take your food than trying to take food from someone else and finding that no one has any.

You are an awful nice person JD and you are only trying to be helpful; however, you miss the point entirely.

I don't appreciate being lumped in with the other guy as not being nice, as you say either. Please JD, before you shoot your mouth off read for comprehension for who is being nice.

Your admonition of me in your posting without reference to your controlling Admin also is quit annoying to me.

Peace my friend, read for comprehension and please cmon and be fair.

My response to the episode has been censored as well, and as far as food goes, I have over 10 grand worth of it in storage, including a ten year supply of various canned fish which was discussed at length in my previous postings on the Diner. Please JD, understand whom you are talking too, an ass perhaps but not an imbecile.  :exp-angry:

The reason GO's post was censored-- by me-- was because he used the same language in reference to me that he has used repeatedly in the subterranean board. And since you have also viewed that board, you know precisely to what I am referring.

Not having it.

Feel free to talk all the trash you want about RE and me behind our backs; clearly no one will gainsay you. But not a speck of that is going to make it to the Diner Forum.

Now go be predictable.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:20:16 PM by Surly1 »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
Surly said,
Not having it.
  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

I humbly suggest you also take a look at MKing's repetitive fossil fueler propaganda bullshit about plentiful water resources (leaving out the "clean" part and how fossil fuels make it unpotable as well as reducing the quantity of potable, of course  :evil4:), consistently lying about the ACTUAL costs of fossil fuels and consistently and arrogantly claiming he has the most elementary knowledge of cause and effect in his "econ 101, supply and demand" HORSESHIT perpetual catapulting himself on his own petard. He ignores the COST we are now FORCED to pay for his fossil fuels to shit on our environment and then turns around and says, sure, you can have anything you WANT, as long you are will to pay MORE!

Well, the bill is coming DUE for the MKing's of this world. And believe you me, they are going to PAY. Scoff all you want, MKing. As RE says, you can't fix STUPID. ANYONE that thinks you have ANY objectivity at all on matters of energy use cost and environmental cost computations doesn't understand your REAL (and ONLY) expertise (i.e. pro-fossil fuel bought and paid for propagandist). You should be banned simply because you are about as original as a door bell. Every time someone pushes your "button", you make exactly the same sound.

Randy is on to him! :emthup: :icon_sunny:

Time to do some knitting.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:01:55 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.