AuthorTopic: The Wealth Grab  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Wealth Grab
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
Surly said,
Not having it.
  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

I humbly suggest you also take a look at MKing's repetitive fossil fueler propaganda bullshit about plentiful water resources (leaving out the "clean" part and how fossil fuels make it unpotable as well as reducing the quantity of potable, of course  :evil4:), consistently lying about the ACTUAL costs of fossil fuels and consistently and arrogantly claiming he has the most elementary knowledge of cause and effect in his "econ 101, supply and demand" HORSESHIT perpetual catapulting himself on his own petard. He ignores the COST we are now FORCED to pay for his fossil fuels to shit on our environment and then turns around and says, sure, you can have anything you WANT, as long you are will to pay MORE!

Well, the bill is coming DUE for the MKing's of this world. And believe you me, they are going to PAY. Scoff all you want, MKing. As RE says, you can't fix STUPID. ANYONE that thinks you have ANY objectivity at all on matters of energy use cost and environmental cost computations doesn't understand your REAL (and ONLY) expertise (i.e. pro-fossil fuel bought and paid for propagandist). You should be banned simply because you are about as original as a door bell. Every time someone pushes your "button", you make exactly the same sound.

Randy is on to him! :emthup: :icon_sunny:

Time to do some knitting.

This is almost as much fun as having co-workers....
 :emthup: :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:59:53 PM by Randy C »

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »
I took GO's comments to be a little annoyed but still tongue and check as the saying goes, so I'm good with that. 

Hi RandyC. It's a pleasure debating with you and becoming acquainted with you and your most interesting circumstance of being a real farmer.

I'm not sure I'm much of a debater.  We really didn't do much of that at meetings, it was generally make and defend your case and let the big wheels decide who had a better case.  I was trained to go where the data goes.  That training I brought with me after I woke up and smelled the coffee in 2009.  I chose farming over life in Washington D.C. for a variety of reasons and have never regretted leaving the Borg Collective.

Try an understand in a nutshell that we are on the same wave length with a difference in timing being our major difference it appears. While seeing the big trouble ahead that you do, my feeling is there will be much and serious inflation from today onwards, long before  the total breakdown occurs, if it does at all.

By and large we do agree more than we disagree.  Perhaps I am just a bit further down the proverbial road in this journey than you or others.  There is nothing wrong with gold ownership in a functioning world and in that statement I would call the last 8,000 years a functioning world as far as gold is concerned.  It makes a good medium of exchange, must be mined and is limited in supply (expect when you get the Spanish involved ;) ) and worked well as a currency for a very long time.  As I said before, it worked until it was dumped in the oil age.  While it may work as a store of wealth and in a hyper-inflationary situation, it will likely do much better than paper, my concern is that the real problem won't be hyper-inflation, but a lack of things to buy and as that becomes more apparent people will be less willing to part with their consumables in trade for paper or gold/silver if they will not be able to resupply.

My buying of Gold is to try and protect myself  from the current and perceived inflation I think is coming before that dreaded arrival of the Apocalypse.. Guess I am what you call a slow doomer or light doomer  as we say on the Diner. I also hold out some hope for our future, probably because of my lovely grandchildren, so I am prejudiced. It is a belief of mine that there are some very extremely smart, constructive members of the human race, I certainly am not one of them, that have the ability to solve problems such as climate change and a weening from fossil fuels and our polluting ways.

We are also on the same wave when it comes to Nicole Foss, much of my food storage tendencies come from her wise council. Right or wrong she is certainly a brilliant well intentioned person as is her business partner Ilargi. You never will go wrong taking some advice or precautions from those two.

Foss is right on a lot of things.  She is a deflationist and also sees the problems that disrupting supply lines due to a credit collapse would have on the global population that still has money or gold enough to buy products.  Once I can no longer get fuel and electricity, the rest doesn't matter.  Our customers give us about $10 a gallon for fluid milk and while that might sound like a lot there simply are not enough people wanting that product for this business to stay viable for the long term.  Simply put, there is no future in income generating farming at any level.  It will not take hyper-inflation to put us out of business.  Alfalfa pellets have gone up from $14 per bag last year to $19 per bag.  That is a big deal.  If they go up much more that will be the end of having anything to put in front of the cows and I expect a lot more trouble from them.  They really do get pissed off if you don't give them something for their trouble of coming back to the barn.

I would like to be a doomer light but, based on my training as a infrastructure analyst at DIA and DHS I just don't see how we get a slow crash going forward.  This country is physically falling apart.  The slow crash started back in 1971 and is accelerating.  As to how it will unfold I can't say for sure, but I do know the electrical grid is old and out of date and very vulnerable to attack as was witnessed in April 2013 when a substation was attacked and put out of commission by a group of people using AKs in California.  If the grid goes, so goes the nuclear power plants and that is one reason I want to get out of the eastern US.  I once believed in the intelligence of humanity but ten years in the intelligence business cured me of that...  Fukushima didn't help....

My sarcastic remarks from your posting came about only because of my frustration at your thinking I could possible think a Gold coin was going to do me any good on Doomsday, the day the whole system finally unravels. Gold is a financial monetary asset, not food, shelter, or water, let alone a gun.

No, I don't think you are dumb enough to believe that.  My initial comment that got this thread going was directed towards the "financial experts" who love to tell us that we can prosper as the world burns.

I had an interesting conversation with a guy on Nature Bats Last a couple of years ago where he was trying to argue that his gold would buy my boots.  Sorry I said, that only works if I have boots to sell and can then take the gold and use it to buy something else.  What I see going forward is not a functioning economy.  At some point it will break down, likely with a failure of the financial system and that will cascade into energy and metals followed by manufacturing and distribution and then finally the social structure.  Yes, that is Richard Duncan's view and I share it.  Foss has said that gold and silver are fine once you cover the basic, and it is good that you have.  My next question would be are you ready to deal with people who will want what you have after they can't get anything else.  In my opinion, the only way to survive that will be being somewhere that there are not a lot of people.  We bought this farm in 2005 before it became obvious that there was a problem.  Initially I thought we and our annual stockpile (from farm grown products) would be just fine.  Then I woke up one day and said.. hum... what do I do when the neighbors come calling?  I then tried to talk to some of them, was told I was nuts, and then told they would just come for what we had.  We then decided that leaving was the thing to do.

As to guns, they are tools, not monetary assets as you point out, they have their place in the world but they are also heavy, require cleaning, ammo and spare parts.  A good recurve bow and hand fletched arrows will be working much longer but also require a lot more skill.  Stockpiling ammo sounds great until you realize that you might have to carry it.  I think I have around 250lbs of mixed calibers, rifle, pistol and shotgun.  That is a lot to carry and I can think of more important things than a half dozen firearms....

Perhaps if you knew how many total and complete ass holes have told me you can't eat Gold over the past decades you would understand better my dismay and irritation.

Oh, I don't doubt it one bit.  Again, gold is a pre-collapse hedge against inflation as you point out.  If you can afford it, good for you.  I personally can't but I also can produce food and some energy so my ability to function is a bit better than most.  Once the game is up, most of what we modern people have will be useless very quickly.  Then it is skills and the right tools that will get people through the bottleneck.

Good luck with the farm and getting your price, the economy might be getting a bit better so perhaps you will get out OK. It is a pleasure talking with you.  GO

Thank you for your encouragement.  As to selling this place, farms are "special" and require the right person to buy them.  Oil prices are a big factor in selling these properties.  If a buyer is a commuter to Blacksburg, or Roanoke, then gas prices matter.  One of my neighbors sold out two years ago because he couldn't afford the gas prices.  Right after the 2008 oil price spike for sale signs sprang up all over the county.  It looked like the realtors were running for public office!  Most of those properties have cleared now but it did take a while.  Yesterday we had a young couple (34 and 36) who were here to see the place and want to buy a working farm.  Maybe they will decided this is a good one to work.

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
I still have not figured out how to quote individual paragraphs, so I use bold to distinguish my comments from the person quoted, in this case GO.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »
The reason GO's post was censored-- by me-- was because he used the same language in reference to me that he has used repeatedly in the subterranean board. And since you have also viewed that board, you know precisely to what I am referring.

Not having it.

Feel free to talk all the trash you want about RE and me behind our backs; clearly no one will gainsay you. But not a speck of that is going to make it to the Diner Forum.
I quite understand the desire to maintain standards on the Diner.  I just wish you would apply it to your own writing, Surly.  Moderators and admins should exemplify the behavior they want to see on their boards.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
as far as food goes, I have over 10 grand worth of it in storage, including a ten year supply of various canned fish which was discussed at length in my previous postings on the Diner. Please JD, understand whom you are talking too, an ass perhaps but not an imbecile.  :exp-angry:
I must have missed those postings.  I didn't really think you were unprepared.  The question is how your message tends to come across.  Most of the time, it seems like you're saying that gold is all you need.  I know you're smarter than that, but that is what someone reading the Diner casually would probably get from your posts.

You're not an imbecile, and that's part of the problem: when you're smart, you expect people to understand things at the level you do.  Sometimes, you have to simplify things like you were talking to an imbecile to get your point across.  Otherwise, they just come back with stuff like "you can't eat gold".
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:16:08 PM by jdwheeler42 »
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
JD said,
I quite understand the desire to maintain standards on the Diner. I just wish you would apply it to your own writing, Surly.  Moderators and admins should exemplify the behavior they want to see on their boards.

If ANYBODY has a long, and very well mannered fuse here, it's Surly!  :emthup:  :icon_sunny:
JD, you've been here quite a long time. There is a HISTORY here. PLEASE, do not pretend you are ignorant of it. I read between the lines in your last comment and I think I understood that you don't like people to act one dimensional (I.E to play DUMB when they are not just to SAND BAG or SET SOMEBODY UP) on issues that are complex and multidimensional, right?  8)

Do you want to talk about the kind of BULLSHIT that makes no fucking sense at all but EVERYBODY HERE just ignores it like it was not a total paradoxical mindfuck? How about having investments in Las Vegas and calling yourself a Christian at the same time? No big deal, right. Who gives a shit? Well, my friend, that is the kind of BLATANT inconsistency that goes right over your head, but not that other people.

Surly NEVER plays "dumb" and neither do I. There is a HISTORY here. If you do not wish to address, it, that's all well and good. But please don't pretend Surly is being a badass or not following some Robert's Rules of Order and decorum. That's simply not the case.

Sure, Surly has a way of using his mastery of the King's English to score mocking hits when he detects puffery and bullshit, no matter how politely delivered in passive aggressive pseudo innocence. That only pisses people off who dance around the merits of an argument instead of getting down to the facts of the matter.

I'm not as good as Surly at it, but I know how to do it too. I HATE false pretenses! :icon_mrgreen:

PRETENSE=
Pretense uncovered!    

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Ka

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
I would like to be a doomer light but, based on my training as a infrastructure analyst at DIA and DHS I just don't see how we get a slow crash going forward.  This country is physically falling apart.  The slow crash started back in 1971 and is accelerating.  As to how it will unfold I can't say for sure, but I do know the electrical grid is old and out of date and very vulnerable to attack as was witnessed in April 2013 when a substation was attacked and put out of commission by a group of people using AKs in California.  If the grid goes, so goes the nuclear power plants and that is one reason I want to get out of the eastern US.  I once believed in the intelligence of humanity but ten years in the intelligence business cured me of that...  Fukushima didn't help....

A financial/economic collapse is not incompatible with Doom Lite. Say we get another Lehman event, and this time the gov't can't bail out the banks because nobody trusts the dollar anymore. So all the banks fail, everyone's saving, pensions, etc. are wiped out, no letters of credit so nothing moves, shelves go bare, riots ensue. That is, complete financial and economic collapse. But after a week or so of this, Congress and the President declare a national emergency, and basically the military takes over. All gov't debt is defaulted on, a "new dollar" is initiated (from the Treasury, not the Fed, which is now defunct), whatever has to be nationalized to get food distributed is nationalized -- and so on. Think of Germany right after WWII, what Germans refer to as "year zero". They were in much worse shape than we would be in the above scenario. True, it will be impossible for the US to return to growth, but it could manage decline in a fairly equitable way. As for infrastructure, in this scenario, I think the US will forget about world domination and a bunch of other things (like maintaining six lane highways) and have enough wherewithal to keep things patched together.

Note, I'm not saying all this will happen in a reasonable fashion, just that it could.

I still have not figured out how to quote individual paragraphs, so I use bold to distinguish my comments from the person quoted, in this case GO.

Wherever you want to break up the quoted material, insert
(/quote)

whatever you want to say

(quote)

only use square brackets, not parentheses.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »
Yes, Glacier View looks interesting.  Thanks for posting the July 4th festivities, looking forward to visiting.

Looking forward to the visit.

Arnie (the fellow who owns most of the land in this area) is selling off 160 Acres in Parcels of around 5-20 Acres.  I should have a price on this soon, as another friend is going up there to look at buying one of them.

I think you would have to do a lot of soil ammendation to be able to do Dairy around there.  No shortage of water though for a long time for sure.  I think the community would welcome a Dairy operation though.

No worries about Zombie Hordes in Glacier View.  Like nobody lives around there, and nobody is getting there either after TSHTF.

RE
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:47:15 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 02:29:26 AM »
The reason GO's post was censored-- by me-- was because he used the same language in reference to me that he has used repeatedly in the subterranean board. And since you have also viewed that board, you know precisely to what I am referring.

Not having it.

Feel free to talk all the trash you want about RE and me behind our backs; clearly no one will gainsay you. But not a speck of that is going to make it to the Diner Forum.
I quite understand the desire to maintain standards on the Diner.  I just wish you would apply it to your own writing, Surly.  Moderators and admins should exemplify the behavior they want to see on their boards.

Well, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

I am certain that in your desire to avoid modeling the effete hypocrisy of others, you will similarly exhort the other "moderators and admins" to behave in similar fashion. We'll all wait back for your report.

There is much that I could say. As I have for the last several months,  I will leave most of that unsaid, save this: the thing I despise most in this life is a hypocrite. So when the kindest thing one has to say about the proprietor of this board is that he is a "lout," and it spirals downhill from there, one shouldn't expect kid gloves staff treatment when he comes up through the manhole cover and into the sunlight.

Let me be clear JD that I'm not directing this comment at you,  aside from a response to your exhortation to be a better role model.  Yesterday was the first time that I deleted the a myself; may not be be the last.   I am not at all sure that in dealing with trolls, the squeeze is worth the juice.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Spelling it out for the Terminally Dense
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 03:09:11 AM »
Yesterday was the first time that I deleted the a myself; may not be be the last.   I am not at all sure that in dealing with trolls, the squeeze is worth the juice.

While most of the Admins have real difficulty with sending posting to the Duly Noted & Filed folder, I do not have this problem.

Once I decided enough was enough here, I settled on doing what everybody else who runs a blog does to keep the Commentariat from spinning out of control, which was to get rid of posting designed to screw up the board.

Let me be clear here.  If your post contains a complaint about "censorship", it will never see the light of day, so don't bother complaining.

If I can't find anything worthwhile in the post which has not already been hashed over 6 ways from Sunday, it also probably gets duly noted and filed.

If the tone is obnoxious, DN & F too!

If you insult me or any of the other Admins, DN & F!

If I just happen to be pissed off and have a low tolerance day, DN & F for you!  LOL.

Its MY fucking Blog!  I pay the bills here!  Stick it where the SUN  :icon_sunny: Don't Shine if you don't like it, or better yet start your OWN fucking Blog!

As far as Admins setting an example of Righteous Behavior, I do support that idea, and I am trying to uphold it myself.  However, Surly continues to read the Sewer, which I do not do.  So he sees the vitriole pitched there, and he reacts to that.  If it gets pitched out on that board, it is fair game for an Admin here to respond in kind if he so chooses to do so.  You reap what you sow.  Play Nice on your Board, we will play nice here.  Pitch Napalm on yours, expect to get Napalmed back here.

That is all she wrote.

RE
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:23:15 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 03:45:09 AM »
Quote from: El Capo di Tutti Capi
However, Surly continues to read the Sewer, which I do not do.  So he sees the vitriole pitched there, and he reacts to that.  If it gets pitched out on that board, it is fair game for an Admin here to respond in kind if he so chooses to do so.  You reap what you sow.  Play Nice on your Board, we will play nice here.

A small point of clarification here: I do not read the sewer all that often. A decent respect for my mental health prevents doing so.  An occasional  snootful of the mewling and puking that goes on, with each complainant attempting to outdo the other striking a convincing victim pose, is about all that a stomach weakened by age can take.  I used to think that I was a conspiracy theorist, with a penchant for connecting the dots; I have nothing on these guys. The Diner is variously a CIA honeypot, or a front to stand up a kiddie porn ring,  a Boys Club for the weak of mind, or whatever is on Emmie's, etc. mind today.

Life is just too damn short, and I've got enough to do feeding the social media to attend much to the musings of the mentally ill. I just cannot abide a hypocrite. And I no longer feel the need to try.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Spelling it out for the Terminally Dense
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 07:06:22 AM »
As far as Admins setting an example of Righteous Behavior, I do support that idea, and I am trying to uphold it myself.  However, Surly continues to read the Sewer, which I do not do.  So he sees the vitriole pitched there, and he reacts to that.  If it gets pitched out on that board, it is fair game for an Admin here to respond in kind if he so chooses to do so.  You reap what you sow.  Play Nice on your Board, we will play nice here.  Pitch Napalm on yours, expect to get Napalmed back here.

You don't get it.  It's not a question of morals or rights or ethics.  It's a question of perception.  It's the agenda the terrorist uses, keep prodding until you provoke a response that is completely out of proportion.  To the casual lurker, it's the guy who goes ballistic and starts making nasty sexual remarks who looks like the bad guy, and if he has a status of "moderator" or "administrator", it makes the whole place look like somewhere you don't want to be.  I know it's hard, and people are doing a good job of restraining themselves the vast majority of the time.  And if you do lose your cool, hey, we all do at times, just go ahead and chuck your own post in the DN&F bin or modify it to tone it down.  The worst thing you can do is try to defend your behavior because that just makes you look like a complete jerk.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Spelling it out for the Terminally Dense
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »

You don't get it.  It's not a question of morals or rights or ethics.  It's a question of perception.  It's the agenda the terrorist uses, keep prodding until you provoke a response that is completely out of proportion.  To the casual lurker, it's the guy who goes ballistic and starts making nasty sexual remarks who looks like the bad guy, and if he has a status of "moderator" or "administrator", it makes the whole place look like somewhere you don't want to be.  I know it's hard, and people are doing a good job of restraining themselves the vast majority of the time.  And if you do lose your cool, hey, we all do at times, just go ahead and chuck your own post in the DN&F bin or modify it to tone it down.  The worst thing you can do is try to defend your behavior because that just makes you look like a complete jerk.

Meaning, in other words, that the tone and tenor of the place gets to be set by the worst elements present: sort of like the US House of Representatives.

I have turned the other cheek so many times in this place that my head feels like its on a swivel.

If by telling the truth about a hypocrite makes me into a jerk,  I can live with that.

This too will pass.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
Note to MKing:

See RE's above, in re what passes muster and what doesn't. Snark filled ad hom and mockery doesn't.

DN&F. Times 2.

Feel free to try again, though.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
JD said,
The worst thing you can do is try to defend your behavior because that just makes you look like a complete jerk.

Now I understand why you rarely defend your sporadic non sequiturs disguised as constructive criticism. That comment of yours sounds VERY stuffed shirty, ya know?

Naa, you said it so it must be rational, above reproach, honest, constructive, balanced, perceptive, in proper context and ... well you get the idea. You, quite simply believe with all your essence and being that you are eminently qualified to decide who is a complete jerk and who makes reasoned arguments, NOT based on morality of ANY sort, which you eschew as some throw back irrational "religious" concept that has no place in modern parlance of erudite luminaries, but based on your vast knowledge and experience of proper decorum in human affairs.

JD, you are a smart man. But it's hell on wheels to get you to admit you have stuck your foot so far down your mouth that you are in danger of self cannibalism. No, I don't expect you to back up and say you just fucked up.

We all have our faults. Your stuffed shirtism is showing.  :emthdown:

And yeah, I think you are the one arguing totally out of context.

HERE IS SOME CONTEXT (YOU IGNORED  IN REGARD TO SURLY) FOR YOU TO PONDER:

Surly,
I agree that you shouldn't feed the trolls. Yet you take enormous pains to avoid calling out a resident doomer troll for playing dumb and pretending to be neutral on renewable energy and global warming. Good luck with that. He loves to throw a rock into a doomer store window and then ask for "calm, objectivity and careful study of a most complex subject". That's bullshit and you know it.  :emthdown:

Your level of erudition, while much higher than mine, is no excuse for using kid gloves on that closet racist rand political reactionary just because he has a nice, fence straddling vocabulary.

Nevertheless, I continue to admire your take on just about everything, including not feeding the trolls. I get so bent out of shape at the raging, over-the-top, bold faced mendacity and doubletalk of said doomer that I want to disappear from this pointless discourse designed to delay progress and defend the status quo per secula seculorum

Maybe that is the plan. I can tell you it is working. But if he succeeds in driving me out of here, I have a going away present for him. The poser here that pushes propaganda is asking for somebody to publish his home address...

AG,
You know by now that I have great regard for your tireless research into alternative energy and refusal to be deterred by the fossil fuel BAU denialists. As long as there is money to be made in a given enterprise, there will be those eager to make it. And then to brag about how smart they are. . . Your work injects at least a glimmering of promise into a pretty gloomy future outlook; and this os on THESE pages, not NBL.

That said, I have mixed it up with just about every regular on this board, aside from the new folks, and can't say that I can get my adult diapers in a twist about words on a screen. My attitude was refined in this regard during Occupy. People of far different political stripes would come together for a common cause: we can't and won't agree on everything, but we agree on THIS, so let's work together on it. (Whether Occupy could have survived the small group dynamics even if DHS hadn't been calling plays from the sideline is arguable.) But my point is to agree where we can, disagree where we must, and overlook the stupid shit.

It's only words. I'm reminded of something that WHD and Roamer said last weekend during the Google hangout-- that what we have accomplished over the course of a couple years is a lot of WORDS. Time for some action. We were all delighted that some of the intrepid souls here will actually be putting words into action this spring in several venues.

This puts me in mind of a running discussion I have with Contrary. She will spend a certain amount of time on Facebook, and find herself drawn into drawn-out arguments on social or political issues, which tend to attract others, which then demands further response, and after an period she will find herself arguing with a horde of mouth-breathers, all to accomplish . . .? Zip. Except a sense of being frustrated and drained. Pointless and counterproductive. The quasi-anonymity of the web seems to confer a license for rudeness that we would never indulge in person. A remarkable squandering of creative essence. Which is why I have been telling her lately,

Arguing with trolls gives them air and validation. Should someone require another epic beatdown, as was administered in these pages last summer, I will certainly rise (or sink) to the occasion. But otherwise I read, take in with as many grains of salt as is necessary, and move along.

We can never change anyone's opinion; we can only equip them so that they are moved to want to learn more and perhaps change their own.

I wish you a long fuse, and the wisdom of age, and a double shot of good humor as we fasten our seat belts and prepare a last Manhattan against the coming of TEOTWATKI.

RE and Surly are FINALLY doing what I have been requesting for OVER A YEAR. That is, to CENSOR THREAD TERRORISTS who, by derailing or repeated propaganda bullshit exercises,  achieve THEIR MISSION of a de facto CENSORING of the FACTS and the TRUTH on any given subject. And for that, I am quite pleased. I tire of countering bullshit from thread terrorists, many of which YOU rarely challenge when they utter the most ridiculous statements as if they were obvious realities.

Then you get all prissy when the hammer comes down on the bullshit. Sorry JD, you are the one that DOES NOT GET IT. You are the one who does not perceive the proper context.

Nuff said. I just remembered why I rarely responded to your "impish" context free, pot shots. Stick to teaching permaculture. Human value systems and interpersonal relations and respect are not your thing.

Have a nice day.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:28:53 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.