PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Favorite Film Clips

AuthorTopic: Favorite Film Clips  (Read 27245 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Favorite Film Clips: "The Shining"- Here's Johnny!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2TVooUHN7j4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2TVooUHN7j4</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Favorite Film Clips - Fight Club
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
You had to know someone would eventually post it. 

Fight Club - This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:38:32 PM by EndIsNigh »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Film Clips - Fight Club
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »
You had to know someone would eventually post it. 

EIN!  Where ya been, Mate?  Gone Walkabout?  Your Sheila limiting your Internet time?  Out in the Bush huntig Crocs?  What? Get the Bloody Hell back in here!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Film Clips
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »
Mate you've got the lingo of a fair dinkum aussie!  Nice of you to notice I haven't been around.  I've been doing some hard yakka on my bizzo.  I'm only a week away from being ready to sell my products.  Just in time for the economy to collapse!  :-\  I've invested the past six months of my time, and a bit of moolah, into this thing but there's not a day I don't wonder WTF I'm doing carrying on with it.  I'm at the point where I need to spend a lot more moolah to take it to the next level.  I also made the rookie mistake of telling family and friends that I quit my job to pursue this business.  If I back out now, I lose face.  Despite understanding losing face is an ego trip, it's still a bitter pill to swallow.  What if I quit and the can is kicked down the road another 5-10 years?  I gotta say I'm really undecided at the moment and struggling psychologically.  I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all of the above, not to mention visions of collapse, species extinction, and all the rest of the worlds woes I seem to be carrying on my shoulders.  I've had some pretty dark thoughts while plumbing the depths of despair.  The type of thoughts that have me wondering if it's worth going on...at all. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
Mate you've got the lingo of a fair dinkum aussie!

More RE Personal History.  After Dad the Pigman divorced my Mom and finished making bad loans to SA Countries, he was transferred to Oz to become involved in acquisiton of a small Aussie bank by Chase Manhattan, the Rockefeller Bank he served as Apparatchik for.

For the 3 years he was down there, I flew back and forth twice a year, spending my summers and Christmas breaks down in Oz. My HS years.  In the winter, I extended out the vacation for a month and took my schoolwork with me.  Not that I did any of it during the time, but that was the deal made with TPTB at Stuyvesant, and they were fine with it.  In those days, nobody really cared if you did your Homework at Stuy High, all that mattered was how you did on the Midterm and Final.

My best buddy Simon was a real fair dinkum Aussie, so I had plenty of time to learn the jargon.  Got halfway decent at the accent also.  Simon's car at the time was a Rolls Canardly.  Its an Aussie brand, maybe you've heard of it?  Rolls down the Hill, Can'ardly can get back up again. LOL.

I have great memories of those years, part of the flotsam and jetsam of the life of one of the lucky ones moving through the Age of Oil in those years.  Perhaps I will write about them at some point.

Nice of you to notice I haven't been around.  I've been doing some hard yakka on my bizzo.  I'm only a week away from being ready to sell my products.  Just in time for the economy to collapse!  :-\  I've invested the past six months of my time, and a bit of moolah, into this thing but there's not a day I don't wonder WTF I'm doing carrying on with it.  I'm at the point where I need to spend a lot more moolah to take it to the next level.  I also made the rookie mistake of telling family and friends that I quit my job to pursue this business.  If I back out now, I lose face.  Despite understanding losing face is an ego trip, it's still a bitter pill to swallow.  What if I quit and the can is kicked down the road another 5-10 years?  I gotta say I'm really undecided at the moment and struggling psychologically.  I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all of the above, not to mention visions of collapse, species extinction, and all the rest of the worlds woes I seem to be carrying on my shoulders.  I've had some pretty dark thoughts while plumbing the depths of despair.  The type of thoughts that have me wondering if it's worth going on...at all.

What's the biz exactly?

Try not to let yourself get overwhelmed by the collapse.  At least for me, it is a great catharsis each night to get in front of the laptop and rant about the collapse.  I also am starting up now with another biz in the Mat Valley, so last cupla days I haven't had time for a new article on the Blog.

Straddle the 2 Worlds the best you can these days.  Collapse is on the Horizon, but it has not yet arrived in all places or to all people as of yet.  So for the most part you still need to go about your daily Bizness.  Whiel doing so though, PREP UP, both physically and psychologically.  The Diner is the place where we all get together to cover the second part and support each other and figure it out best we can.  Your participation and perspectives from Down Under are valued here immensely.

Now time for this old ocker off his kadoova to go yabber some more on the topic of TEOTWAWKI!  Carry on like a pork chop and chuck a wobbly or 2 , Mate!  Always appreciated here on the Diner!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:40 AM »
I've invested the past six months of my time, and a bit of moolah, into this thing but there's not a day I don't wonder WTF I'm doing carrying on with it.  I'm at the point where I need to spend a lot more moolah to take it to the next level. I also made the rookie mistake of telling family and friends that I quit my job to pursue this business.  If I back out now, I lose face.  Despite understanding losing face is an ego trip, it's still a bitter pill to swallow.  What if I quit and the can is kicked down the road another 5-10 years?  I gotta say I'm really undecided at the moment and struggling psychologically.  I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all of the above, not to mention visions of collapse, species extinction, and all the rest of the worlds woes I seem to be carrying on my shoulders.  I've had some pretty dark thoughts while plumbing the depths of despair.  The type of thoughts that have me wondering if it's worth going on...at all.

hey, E. keep your chin up. this too shall pass and all that.

me? 1] i do not worry about losing face. 2] it's never too late to cut my losses. 3] i refuse to let money i have already spent control me. 

when you are ready to make a decision and you feel you are in a good frame of mind, sit on it a little bit longer and if it sticks make the decision and OWN that shit. and don't look back. and don't forget to consult your wife. :) making difficult decisions together is great collapse practice, even if only one of you is 'collapsing.' in the meantime hang in there keep on doing what your doing.

i'd say a very good rule of thumb is to only consider dark thoughts as potentially actionable when you're in a neutral or positive state of mind. this isn't to say that dark thoughts in the depths of despair are any less valid. but unless one is half-looking for attention there are obviously no do-overs when it comes to offing oneself. M and i have a suicide pact: we have to go together or neither of us can go. if we both agree down the road that it is too pointless to go on then we won't. as i recall our dearly departed (from DD) p01 and his wife have a similar arrangement.

relevant favorite film clip(s): the spectacular last seventeen minutes of 'the seventh continent:'

(1989)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q8S5nvxgMKc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q8S5nvxgMKc&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PwXKfkMPRwk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PwXKfkMPRwk&fs=1</a>

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:09:15 PM by reanteben »

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 03:58:44 AM »
Thanks RE and Ben for the support.  I found it helpful.  RE I assume you were living in Sydney during your time in Oz?  Which suburb?  I like Australia in general, but there are heaps of yobbos.  I hadn't heard the Rolls Cannardly joke before, very Aussie!

Adding to my anxiety is that I believe industrial civ not only appears like it will collapse, but also it needs to go down and I am concerned that the bread and circuses will continue another hundred years or more.  I've been evaluating my actions in terms of, does this perpetuate this insane suicidal system?  Hence the self-criticism and doubts about the business plans.  Even if it drags on, morally and for my own mental health, I feel I shoulf be pursuing a self-sufficiency path.  In my defense, we probably don't have enough cash savings to make this a reality.

As for what the business is.  I have been vegetarian for about 12 years and stopped consuming animal products altogether for close to a year.  I find it's tremendously healthy and have always enjoyed creating and preparing food.  I recognised a gap in the market for frozen convenience meals that are free of animal products.  There's only one competitor.  I also believe in the benefits of organic food.  Putting these two together, I've created some really tasty completely organic vegetarian/vegan meals.  My research indicates it should do well, but of course there are clear risks around transport and refrigeration costs.  I definitely don't want to go back to IT, so I will push ahead and see how it goes.  The upshot is while I won't make a big income, I should have a good amount of free time in which to prep up and reskill.

Ben, I watched the clips.  Wow.  Sobering stuff.  I've taken your "pact" suggestion on board, it's a good one.  Thanks again for the support and sound advice.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
Dad lived in Sydney suburbs, Winston Hills as I recall.

The food biz could be a good one for the future, if you can make some modifications.  Perhaps besides Freezing, you can look into ways to dry and vacuum seal the meals for preservation.  Still requires plastic for the vaccum sealing of course, but overall much less energy consumptive than keeping stuff frozen until sold.

Industrial civilization does look bound for the dung heap here, and evidence points more to a fast crash now than a long emergency, IMHO.  See the Dmitri Orlov article I put up last night here, or go to his blog.

Since it is generally impractical to break away completely, although Peter has done a pretty good job of this, the main thing is to prepare your personal skill sets for some level of self-sufficiency, and then have some community beyond just immediate family to link up with.  Past that, its tough to do a whole lot besides packing away all the usual preps.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »
Thanks again for the support

sure thing, E. well that's a pretty swell business, and when it goes tits-up along with everything else you'll be able to smile about it.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:18:34 AM by reanteben »

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
RE, I've been considering ways to adapt the business with changing conditions.  I think I may have to not only adjust the method of production and storage, but also the food itself.  It all depends on how things play out.  If it's really bad, I have to wonder about the demand for niche food when any food at all will be in short supply.  While no one can accurately predict the future, at least I'm not completely blind to the risks, and that should provide some advantage.

In the meantime, I am prepping up.  As part of my business I've got a lot of food supplies in storage at home, of the type that keeps well like dry legumes, rice, and canned goods.  I like the notion that when the SHTF I can just eat my supplies and products.  I've also got a big rainwater tank (it feeds our toilets and provides garden water) and have ordered a hand powered UV water purifier.  Maybe you've seen this gadget?  I've yet to receive it, but looks cool.

http://www.steripen.com/sidewinder

I also have a reverse osmosis filter that attaches to our faucet, and while it relies on water pressure, I can imagine ways that it could be adapted to a gravity fed system whereby I rig a faucet to an elevated bucket.

As for cooking, I understand the mechanics behind rocket stoves and soon I will be constructing and testing a version made from steel food cans.

I studied horticulture many years ago, before I made the Empire/status driven decision to enter the field of IT, and understand the primary principles of organic gardening and permaculture.  I'm currently growing a variety of food in mobile planter bags in our backyard including beets, onions, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, citrus (lime, orange, lemon), native spinach, and eggplant.  My next project will be to attempt some high protein crops like lentils and chickpeas.

I suppose, given all of the above, I'm better positioned than a great majority of people.  We have no debts and some cash savings, but not sure what to do with that (other than buying the preps I have been).  I know Nicole Foss recommends short term bonds and cash, but storing it at home isn't without risks. 

The philosophical dilemma for me is that even if Civilisation doesn't collapse, our lifestyle is killing the planet and our souls.  So why wait when we can go a more primitive route that's better for both our mental health and that of the ecosystem we rely on for continued existence?  I think I have the mental strength to attempt something like that, but while my wife has lived in ascetic conditions before, I don't think she's prepared to take that leap...yet.

Offline Mark N

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »
EIN quote

“What if I quit and the can is kicked down the road another 5-10 years?  I gotta say I'm really undecided at the moment and struggling psychologically.  I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all of the above, not to mention visions of collapse, species extinction, and all the rest of the worlds woes I seem to be carrying on my shoulders.  I've had some pretty dark thoughts while plumbing the depths of despair.  The type of thoughts that have me wondering if it's worth going on...at all.”

I have struggled mightily with a very similar situation for a couple years now. I play blues music and after years of struggling I am finally playing with great musicians and playing a few very cool clubs and festivals. The small amount of success makes me feel somehow worse. I have struggled on with music long after everyone else got a real job, and I have always poured 100% of myself into it. That is the problem; I cannot pull off preparing for the inevitable collapse of industrial civilization while giving 100% to music. I got a big blues festival this Friday and I really don’t want to play anymore. It is crazy situation for me and I completely sympathize with what you are going through.

I am moving back to the remote mountains where I grew up as soon as I can. My friends who tour nationally in the music biz are starting to lose money on tours based on gas prices, and just wait until this next wave of economic destruction hits. I realize that there could be five to ten years of BAU left; but I can’t keep playing music waiting for the axe to fall. I hope to mow the grass at one of the many state parks that are where I am moving Forrest Gump style. I will get a jump on poverty and off the grid living before it is imposed on me. Best of luck to you EIN I hope your business venture works well in the time left.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
Here is a wonderful clip that any of us can use when we find ourselves in disagreement with the received wisdom of another poster. Here's the vid, and I will post the embed code separately below:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?rel=0</a>

The code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5hfYJsQAhl0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I found it while stumbling across a clip entitled, "The 100 Greatest Movie Insults of All Time." Just for fun.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSEYXWmEse8?rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PSEYXWmEse8?rel=0</a>
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 05:35:37 AM »
Mark, thanks for sharing your story.  It's a bit of a comfort knowing there are others out there facing the same quandary.  I think your plan is a good one.  The beauty of it is, even if BAU goes on another 50 yrs (not likely of course) it's still a better way to live.  Good luck to you too mate!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite Film Clips: Guillotine
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »
Short Film just discovered tonight on You Tube, featuring excerpts from a B/W film I have never seen about the French Revolution.  Well done vid by an Amateur for an English Class.  Some of the most Graphic Guillotine scenes I have ever seen.  Anybody know the name of the Film the scenes came from?  I gotta get it on DVD.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lo5BBHtn4tM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lo5BBHtn4tM</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite Film Clips: Outlaw Josey Wales Kill Count
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 12:03:50 AM »
Watch Josey take out the Army of the Illuminati!  Ride with Josey as he fills Banksters Full of Lead!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ryuXHtAIqXU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ryuXHtAIqXU</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN