AuthorTopic: Official Global Police State Thread  (Read 92598 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Official Global Police State Thread
« Reply #465 on: May 31, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
Once I was an engineer at a small company and the chief engineer who was Asian and a cousin of Chiang Kai-shek by the way, asked me if I would give special consideration to a black engineer who had applied for a job we had open.  It was weird to begin with because I have never been part of the 'owner' class and was not involved with any hiring on any serious level.  I have been a Dilbert.  The chief engineer himself had worked with the owners of the company many times in the past and was very connected with them.  I did interview people but so did everybody else in the department when a new person was hired.  All I was ever asked afterward was can you work with this person. 

I did not like the question and pinned him down to be clear on what he was asking.  It was clear Albert wanted to know if I would give special consideration to a black applicant.  I told him I needed to think about it.  He was leaning in the direction of special treatment.

For two days I thought about the different angles to the situation trying to see if the expected answer was fair.  I finally got back to him and said.

No I would not give a black man special consideration.  I would give him the same consideration as any other applicant and choose on experience and merit.

Wrong Answer and Albert and I never got along after that.  He construed my answer to be racist.  Albert was an odd bird.  That job evaporated when the dot-com bubble popped.  The company had to have a 40% layoff and was lucky to survive.

Albert wherever you are and I don't think it is here because you would be over a hundred now, remembering it all now I don't care if you are dead. 

I want an apology.  I  spent two days seriously deciding what was right and wrong about the situation and you did not respect that.

What would I actually do?

I'd make damn sure I was being fair and I'd evaluate all the qualifications twice.  Not to eliminate, that only takes once.  But to make sure I was not overlooking an accomplishment that could get a man a job.  Why, because life is not fair and it is up to us to make it fair where we can.

It depends on your definition of special treatment.  Is making sure somebody gets a fair shake special treatment?  If so my answer is yes I believe in special treatment.  I did not think that was the question I was being asked at the time.  From my point of view I was being asked if I would see sugar that was not there.

I never saw the resume.  The applicant was only interviewed by the owner and that was the end of things.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:32:40 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #466 on: May 31, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
I think you did the right thing Kdog. 

I've been thinking a good bit about the issue of "white privilege" lately.  If you are white, and not racist, you just about can't not think about it these days.  Something has always bothered me about the idea, and I think I'm starting to get somewhere with what it is.  I'm just going to lay it out there in the middle table so we can all have a good look at it. 

This is what bothers me most about it.  If I say that I have white privilege than what am I to do about it?  I also have a lot of privilege because I live in the fsoa.  Slaves, or at least slave wages likely put my cell phone and laptop together for me.  Wage slaves picked a lot of the vegetables and fruits that I eat.  What about them?  Is that their privilege?  Is it because they are mostly brown that they have to do those things to feed themselves and their children?  My point is that everything is relative, but more specifically everybody wants to talk about the relativity of white privilege in Murika. 

I'll readily admit that I do enjoy some white privileges.  I complained on the white people experiencing racism page that I had to wait a bit to get some hoses and fittings washed.  I felt that I had to wait longer because I was white and the employees were black.  The whole thing felt to me like they were making me pay for my white privilege.  As if to say, "not here white boy, you don't get white privilege here, we're going to make damn sure of that."  I had to do penitence for the crime of being white and enjoying my white privilege.  However, I was not asking for white privilege.  I was just asking some people to do a job they were getting paid to do.  No special privilege, just some consideration.  Common, human, consideration for another human.  Why should skin color get involved?  Is this white privilege?

What bothers me most about it is that it's meant to make me feel shame for being white.  What am I supposed to do about it?  Turn in my white card for a black card so that it will be fair?  As Kdog pointed out, life is not fair.  Nothing about life is fair that we don't make it so.  Fairness does not exist in nature.  Fairness is a man made idea, and it does not exist in the world, it only exists as an idea that we all must service.  The question remains, if I agree that I have white privilege, what am I to do about it as a white man?  Turn it back in?  I'm with Kdog on that.  Fuck white privilege.  If I have it it damn sure ain't worth the paper it's printed on.  I'm in the sleeper of a truck in a rest area 1000 miles away from my family.  This is my usual condition.  I get to see my family two days a week if I'm lucky.  The rest of the time I live on the road in a truck in a space that is much smaller than I could have for free were I to commit crime and go to prison.  At least there I wouldn't have to work for my little space and I still wouldn't be with my family.  Is this white privilege?   It's worth pointing out that in the fsoa whites are the minority in trucking. 

I ask again.  What the fuck am I supposed to do about white privilege?  I can't give it back.  I can't not be white.  I refuse to hang my head on account of it.  I can be proud to be white if I want to.  It just so happens that I don't give a shit what color I am.  I don't have pride in my skin.  If anything I have pride in my humanity.  Even that's not so true for me anymore.  I happen to think the ego is not worth being proud about.  An ego is like an asshole...we all have one. 

It seems to me that I'm being asked to be ashamed for being white.  That's what white privilege amounts to for me.  Well that and occasionally being made to wait longer on account of it.  Not to be inflammatory, but it's worth pointing out that Africans were the slaves of choice back in the days of the imperial expansion of the old world to the new because there already existed a well entrenched African slave trade.  It was simply convenient to get slaves from Africa because they were already rounded up and ready for sale.  In other words it was Africans that were capturing and enslaving and then selling other Africans.  Does that matter now?  I mean if I'm supposed to accept blame for my white privilege it seems like it should matter in my defense.  Maybe don't sell your kinsmen into slavery to begin with?   That's all in the past now though.  What's important now is that I pay for my white privilege. 

To be clear, I'm not blaming blacks for their own slavery.  Nobody alive now is responsible for that past.  That's really my point.  I'm not responsible for it and neither is anybody else.  We can't pay for the sins of our fathers.  We got rid of slavery.  At least the out in the open cotton pickin' type.  Now we just use slaves to make our shit for cheap, to pick our food, and to stock our for profit prison systems.  But you can't make any of that fair by punishing people who have nothing to do with the way things are. 

That's the soar spot for me.  I'm not going to accept punishment to make you feel better.  I'm not going to lower my standard of living so that you can raise yours so that it can be fair...because that would not be fair.  What I am going to do is continue working 70 hours a week.  I'm going to continue also living my life on the road which adds another 50 hours to that week.  Why would I do such a thing?  Because I'm providing for my white family. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 31, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »
If I say that I have white privilege than what am I to do about it?

You can't do anything about being caucasian, and neither can I.  There also isn't any good reason to feel guilty about it.

However, you can have empathy for the anger of the people who are most often on the wrong end of a Billy Club and whose children are shot way more often than yours are.  That is the result of the capitalist exploitation of this group of people, which began with slavery but certainly did not end there, and continues to this day.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 31, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
I'm in the sleeper of a truck in a rest area 1000 miles away from my family.  This is my usual condition.  I get to see my family two days a week if I'm lucky.  The rest of the time I live on the road in a truck in a space that is much smaller than I could have for free were I to commit crime and go to prison.  At least there I wouldn't have to work for my little space and I still wouldn't be with my family.

One more thing.  While living inside the cab of a Big Rig is something of a Badge of Honor not a lot of people can handle (and I did it for a whole lot longer than you have so far), it's NOT a Prison Cell.  You have the key to the door to get in and out, not a Prison Guard.  You can walk away from your truck any day you choose, any day you finally get fed up with the bullshit out on the road you face every day.  I did that, and one day you will also.  One day the fuel will run dry or the freight won't be there to pull and you will have to find something else to do with your meat package to provide for your family.  This does not qualify as a decent argument against what is current ongoing in racial politics.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #469 on: May 31, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »

You can't do anything about being caucasian, and neither can I.  There also isn't any good reason to feel guilty about it.

However, you can have empathy for the anger of the people who are most often on the wrong end of a Billy Club and whose children are shot way more often than yours are.  That is the result of the capitalist exploitation of this group of people, which began with slavery but certainly did not end there, and continues to this day.

RE

In 1831 William Lloyd Garrison of Massachusetts founded the newspaper The Liberator and in the following year he set up the New England Anti-Slavery Society. In 1833 he joined with Arthur and Lewis Tappan of New York in forming the American Anti-Slavery Society. Based in New York City, it made rapid progress and within five years had 1350 local chapters and about 250,000 members.

True I had to look that up but this is my legacy.  People who rant about white privilege forget there is more than one kind of white man.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 31, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »

RE

In 1831 William Lloyd Garrison of Massachusetts founded the newspaper The Liberator and in the following year he set up the New England Anti-Slavery Society. In 1833 he joined with Arthur and Lewis Tappan of New York in forming the American Anti-Slavery Society. Based in New York City, it made rapid progress and within five years had 1350 local chapters and about 250,000 members.

True I had to look that up but this is my legacy.  People who rant about white privilege forget there is more than one kind of white man.

None of them were sucessfull.  Slavery never ended.  It simply transformed to economic slavery.  It's a much more efficient method of enslaving large numbers of people, and yes some of them are caucasians also. Up here, we call them "Valley Trash", a variation on "White Trash". That's what the people fail to grasp, it's not about the color of your skin, it's about your caste in the society.  The Japanese have the Burakumin, the Indians have the Untouchables.  Every society has members of the Underclass who are oppressed by the Ruling Class.

As long as TPTB are successfull with making this about race rather than economics, we will have this conflict.

So it goes.  Everybody Knows.  That's why I am on the internet today, and why I was a Pirate Radio Talk Jockey back in the 70s in my teen years.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PuuCezrAUKk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PuuCezrAUKk</a>

RE
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:56:39 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It has GONE GLOBAL!  :o

While Black & Brown people are only 13% of the population in the FSoA, Globally White People (specifically Caucasians of European descent) are only 11.5% of the World Population of Homo Sap Meat Packages.

Houston, we've got a problem...

I am reminded here of Mohammed Bouazizzi, the Tunisian Fruit Vendor who set himself on fire and set off the "Arab Spring".

RE

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/31/866428272/george-floyd-reverberates-globally-thousands-protest-in-germany-u-k-canada

George Floyd Reverberates Globally: Thousands Protest In Germany, U.K., Canada

May 31, 20209:54 PM ET
Hannah Hagemann

U.S. protesters rallying against the killing of George Floyd and countless other black Americans are being heard around the world as demonstrators launched their own protests in the United Kingdom, Germany and Canada over the weekend.
Germany

In Berlin, protesters gathered Sunday at the U.S. Embassy, demonstrating for a second day.

Hundreds of German demonstrators marched in solidarity with American protesters Saturday and Sunday, and chanted "Stop Killing Us," "Black Lives Matter" and "No Justice, No Peace."

On a former section of the the Berlin Wall, in Mauerpark, a memorial popped up over the weekend depicting Floyd and "I can't breathe," some of his last words.

George Floyd, and his last words, were depicted in a mural by graffiti artist 'EME Freethinker' on a section of the former Berlin wall.
Markus Schreiber/AP

Beyond protests that gathered thousands at the capital over the weekend, four soccer players in Germany's Bundesliga league addressed Floyd's killing during games. One player took a knee on the field. Another exposed a shirt underneath a jersey that read "Justice for George Floyd."
U.K.

Thousands demonstrated on Sunday in London, according to the BBC, to protest Floyd's death and police brutality.

Britons concentrated their protest in central London, with hundreds taking a knee in Trafalgar Square for nine minutes, signifying the amount of time the former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin pinned George Floyd to the ground.
Article continues after sponsor message

They marched along the Thames and to the U.S. Embassy, chanting "Black Lives Matter" and carrying signs with slogans such as, "How Many More?" "Racism is a Global Issue" and "Your Silence Is Deafening."

Hundreds demonstrated in Trafalgar Square in central London on Sunday, and many kneeled, to protest the recent killing of George Floyd by police officers in Minneapolis.
Matt Dunham/AP

According to the Metropolitan Police 23 demonstrators were arrested in central London on Sunday.

Elsewhere in the U.K., demonstrations also took place in Manchester and Cardiff.
Canada

In Canada, Toronto citizens gathered in protest against injustice towards black people globally and against the death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a 29-year-old black woman who lived in Toronto, and the circumstances surrounding her death.

Korchinski-Paquet fell from her balcony while police officers were responding to a "domestic incident" in her home.
Iran

And in the Iranian city of Mashhad, a candlelight vigil was held in Floyd's honor, with Black Lives Matter posters and illustrations of Floyd posted.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More great video.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8BaCBHaWeIo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8BaCBHaWeIo</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Speaking of Trucking...

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rq8IrJ7Jznw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Rq8IrJ7Jznw</a>

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05/tanker-truck-george-floyd-protesters-minneapolis-bridge.html

Tanker Truck Speeds Into Thousands of George Floyd Protesters on Minneapolis Bridge

By Daniel Politi
May 31, 20209:45 PM

Crowds running away from a tanker
People react after a tanker truck drove into a crowd peacefully protesting the death of George Floyd on the I-35W bridge on Sunday in Minneapolis.
Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

In a confusing episode that authorities are still trying to clear up, a tanker truck sped toward a crowd of thousands of demonstrators who were marching on a bridge in Minneapolis late Sunday afternoon to protest the killing of George Floyd. Demonstrators managed to scatter, and surprisingly there were no immediate reports of any seriously injured protesters. The harrowing scene was caught on video from multiple angles and shows how the tanker truck barreled toward the crowd that was on the I-35W bridge.

Witnesses said the truck sped toward the crowd beeping its horn as dozens had taken a seat or a knee for a moment of silence. “A truck came. The horns were blaring. It was picking up speed. It was plowing down the highway into the protesters,” Melanie Ramos of Minneapolis told the Star Tribune. “It was the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen.” Another witness said he could smell the fuel and hear it “sloshing around” as the tanker approached. Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington described it as “one of the most dangerous things I’ve ever seen.”

Protesters swarmed the truck and pulled out the driver. Witnesses on social media said that law enforcement pepper sprayed peaceful demonstrators who had rushed out of the scene. There are reports that some demonstrators tried to stop the attack on the driver and several laid on him as protection. Police moved in and took the driver into custody. He was treated for non–life threatening injuries before being taken to jail. Officials say it isn’t clear whether the driver was injured by the crash or protesters.

Authorities said the truck was already on the freeway before it was closed for traffic about an hour earlier. “I don’t know the motives of the driver at this point in time,” Gov. Tim Walz said. “But at this point in time to not have tragedy and many deaths is an amazing thing.”
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #474 on: June 01, 2020, 06:46:53 AM »
I'm in the sleeper of a truck in a rest area 1000 miles away from my family.  This is my usual condition.  I get to see my family two days a week if I'm lucky.  The rest of the time I live on the road in a truck in a space that is much smaller than I could have for free were I to commit crime and go to prison.  At least there I wouldn't have to work for my little space and I still wouldn't be with my family.

One more thing.  While living inside the cab of a Big Rig is something of a Badge of Honor not a lot of people can handle (and I did it for a whole lot longer than you have so far), it's NOT a Prison Cell.  You have the key to the door to get in and out, not a Prison Guard.  You can walk away from your truck any day you choose, any day you finally get fed up with the bullshit out on the road you face every day.  I did that, and one day you will also.  One day the fuel will run dry or the freight won't be there to pull and you will have to find something else to do with your meat package to provide for your family. This does not qualify as a decent argument against what is current ongoing in racial politics.

RE

You mistake the point I was making here.  I didn't say living in the truck is the same thing as a prison cell.  I was just making a comparison, which works, albeit it's not perfect, but what analogy ever is. 

The point I was making is that I'm working.  There are many sacrifices to being a otr truck driver with a family.  There are other sacrifices that just come with the nature of the job.  As you pointed out not everybody can handle it, and the reasons why are many, some of which I pointed out.  I could go on with my list. 

This only applied to what I was speaking about with the racial tensions and history in that I'm working a job that is difficult.  It's a job that any black, brown, yellow, or white man can get so long as they have a clean driving record and the willingness to do what it takes.  It seems to me, and I haven't looked up the stats on this, but just from my own experience, there are many ore blacks in trucking now than there are whites.  For every driver I see I'd say half are black, another 25-30% brown, and then white. 

Trucking companies don't give a flying pig popcorn fart what color you are.  All they care is that you have a clean driving record, a cdl, and will comply with the rules and regulations in the trucking industry. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 01, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »

Trucking companies don't give a flying pig popcorn fart what color you are.  All they care is that you have a clean driving record, a cdl, and will comply with the rules and regulations in the trucking industry.

Indeed they do not, and they do have a large number by percentage of the B&B crowd as well as the Poor White Trash that take on the job as a last resort.  Along with a few outliers like me too, that chose to be downwardly mobile. lol.  I trained with a Black guy named Lincoln, I wrote about him if you remember.  2 of us in a flatop International with a trainer for 2 weeks.  We both survived that, but Lincoln did not survive his 1st year on the road.  He died in a wreck.

But then you also have to think about all the Lumpers for the Dry Boxes and Reefers and Pipe Cleaners for the Tankers  that work the docks and the pumping stations.  They get paid substantially lower than the truckers, and how many of THEM are white?  Close to ZERO.  That is absolute shit work not even White Trash will take.

The dichotomy is still there in the trucking industry, by percentages and statistics.  You have to look at the aggreegate, because it is a social problem across the society and due to the nature of the capitalist system.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
👮 George Floyd: UK protesters gather in solidarity with US
« Reply #476 on: June 01, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »
So it Grows, so it Goes.  Everybody Knows.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uqs4PyEaFCE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uqs4PyEaFCE</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
👮 Los Angeles Businesses Vandalized After Weekend Protests
« Reply #477 on: June 02, 2020, 04:57:30 AM »
...and now for some "Peaceful Protesting"...

One has to doubt how effective this is.  It definitely does not make for as lively a video.  ::)

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9OP8moLo3A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i9OP8moLo3A</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
👮 Trump considering a move to invoke Insurrection Act
« Reply #478 on: June 02, 2020, 05:04:39 AM »
The prelude to Martial Law.

RE

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/trump-considering-a-move-to-invoke-insurrection-act.html

Trump considering a move to invoke Insurrection Act
Published Mon, Jun 1 20206:11 PM EDTUpdated Mon, Jun 1 20208:57 PM EDT
NBC NEWS
Courtney Kube and Carol E. Lee

President Donald Trump is considering invoking a 213-year-old federal law that would allow him to deploy active-duty U.S. troops to respond to protests in cities across the country, according to four people familiar with the internal White House discussions.

Trump has warmed to the idea of using the Insurrection Act, adopted in 1807, to deploy troops as his frustrations mount over the protests that have followed the death of George Floyd, a black man who was killed in police custody last week in Minneapolis.

Some of the president’s aides have been encouraging him for days to invoke the act, as he weighs options for exercising executive powers to address the crisis. The act was last invoked during the 1992 Rodney King riots in Los Angeles.
watch now
VIDEO06:50
Trump: If states don’t take action, I will deploy military and solve problem for them

The White House did not respond to a request for comment for this article but at a briefing with reporters Monday, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany left open the possibility that the president could invoke the act.

“The Insurrection Act, it’s one of the tools available, whether the president decides to pursue that, that’s his prerogative,” McEnany said.

Governors can ask that the federal government send active duty troops to help in cases of civil unrest like the widespread protests plaguing U.S. cities over the last several days. But, so far, no governor has requested active duty troops to assist and instead have relied on local law enforcement and National Guard soldiers and airmen on state active duty.

Governors often prefer the National Guard forces in these cases because they can legally perform law enforcement duties in the U.S., whereas troops on active duty cannot or they violate the Posse Comitatus Act, a 1878 law that prohibits the government from using military forces to act as a police force within U.S. borders.

More from NBC News:
Trump calls governors facing unrest ‘weak’ and ‘fools,’ urges stronger police tactics
Trump dismissing advice to tone down rhetoric, address the nation
Aggressive policing tactics called into question as national protests flare

But the president could invoke the Insurrection Act to deploy active-duty troops without a request from a governor. Those troops would be allowed to conduct law enforcement missions. To invoke the act, Trump would first have to issue a proclamation to “immediately order the insurgents to disperse and retire peaceably to their abodes within a limited time,” according to the law.

In the past the Justice Department has drafted such proclamations. And according to the Congressional Research Service, the act has been invoked many times throughout U.S. history although rarely since the 1960s civil rights era. When it was invoked in 1992 during the Los Angeles riots, the move was requested by then-California Gov. Pete Wilson, not invoked solely by the president.

The Defense Department declined to comment on the possibility that the president could invoke the act.

One of Trump’s allies outside the White House, Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., urged Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act “if necessary” so U.S. troops can “support our local law enforcement and ensure that this violence ends tonight.”
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
👮 George Floyd protests: Questions about role of white protesters
« Reply #479 on: June 02, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgnME1JQKHM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CgnME1JQKHM</a>
Save As Many As You Can