AuthorTopic: Study finds Climate Deniers get far too much Air Time  (Read 1308 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Study finds Climate Deniers get far too much Air Time
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:49 AM »
This is something most of us suspected anyways -- now a rigidly scientific survey has basically proven it:

That self-proclaimed experts, aka 'Climate Change Deniers' (as a result of human activities) -- receive far too much time in media, given their actually proportion of the population, known as peer-reviewed Scientists.

The survey went through great pains to find a "representative population" to sample from; the "sample size" responding to the survey (1868 scientists) -- makes the study's conclusions 'rock solid':

Climate Contrarians Overrepresented in Media Coverage, New Survey Finds

Scientific survey finds media may be skewing its coverage of climate science by seeking out views of a small minority who questions man-made warming.

by John H. Cushman Jr., InsideClimate News, insideclimatenews.org -- Aug 11, 2014

There is an overwhelming consensus among expert scientists studying climate change that man-made pollution is the main cause of global warming. But the media may be skewing its coverage of the issue by persistently seeking out the views of a contrarian minority, according to a new study.
In an opinion survey of nearly 1,900 scientists, 90 percent of the respondents with more than 10 peer-reviewed articles to their name "explicitly agreed with anthropogenic greenhouse gases being the dominant driver of recent global warming," the study found.
[...]

"Those who most strongly disagree with the discernible influence of anthropogenic GHGs [greenhouse gases] on climate are overrepresented in the media," the authors wrote.

Here is the Question that set off the authors 'detectors' regarding the Media's misconstruing of this "debatable issue" -- in a "fair and balanced" both-sides-are right way:
Q3. How would you characterize the contribution of the following factors to the reported global warming of ∼0.8 °C since preindustrial times:  GHGs, aerosols, land use, sun, internal variability, spurious warming?
Qualitative answer options ranged from “strong cooling” to “strong warming”. “Spurious warming” refers to global mean surface temperature change being overestimated due to artifacts in the data, such as Urban Heat Island (UHI) effects.

Q3b. How would you describe the level of scientific understanding for each of these factors?

Answer options ranged from very low to high.

For the vast majority of seriously peer-reviewed Scientists -- there is no debate.

Here's a few snapshots from the Report that finds, 'Climate Deniers get far too much Air Time' -- to give you some idea of its scope and seriousness.

[emphasis has been added.]

Scientists’ Views about Attribution of Global Warming

Bart Verheggen, Bart Strengers, John Cook, Rob van Dorland, Kees Vringer, Jeroen Peters, Hans Visser,  and Leo Meyer

The general public is strongly divided over the question of human causation of climate change.[1] Many believe that climate scientists are equally divided with respect to the same question, in contrast to what several studies[2−5] have found. Perceptions about the level of agreement or disagreement among scientists influence people’s acceptance of scientific conclusions and their support for related policies.[6,7] Public perception of climate change and of the scientific consensus on the subject, in turn, is influenced by ethical, social, and political values and attitudes.[8,9]
Scientists are considered a trusted source of climate information;[10]  hence, public commenters frequently use the purported existence of either strong agreement or strong disagreement as an argument pro or contra the validity of assessments by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Leviston and Walker[11] showed that the general public has a tendency to overestimate the prevalence of contrarian opinions in climate science and to underestimate the level of agreement.
[...]

ABSTRACT:  Results are presented from a survey held among 1868 scientists studying various aspects of climate change, including physical climate, climate impacts, and mitigation. The survey was unique in its size, broadness and level of detail. Consistent with other research, we found that, as the level of expertise in climate science grew, so too did the level of agreement on anthropogenic causation. 90% of respondents with more than 10 climate-related peer-reviewed publications (about half of all respondents), explicitly agreed with anthropogenic greenhouse gases (GHGs) being the dominant driver of recent global warming. [...]
That last sentence cited from the Abstract, looks like this in chart form -- with the various lines, being a proxy for the respondent's professional expertize (their number of peer-reviewed papers in the Climate field):

This graph is one of many that Authors compiled from their Survey Results.

It basically says the more credible you are as a Climate Scientist, the more likely you are to agree that humans are causing Climate Change and that it is a serious problem.

Media Programming Directors should take note -- and stop treating "both sides of this issue as being equal."

Because it has NOW been "scientific proven" that they are NOT equal. One side of the climate discussion is far more prevalent and accepted than the other, to very very significant degree ...

Think about the "debate" between The Flat Earth Society vs NASA Scientists sending spacecraft into orbit and beyond, and you might start to get sense of the lop-sided nature of this of this "fair and balanced Debate" -- otherwise known as human-caused Climate Change ... happening as we speak (... as we continue to dismiss it, following our Media's uninformed lead).

found at: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/11/1320859/-Study-finds-Climate-Deniers-get-far-too-much-Air-Time#
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING. BACKWARDS!

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Study finds Climate Deniers get far too much Air Time
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
The Right-Wing Press' New Climate Change Lie
No, global warming is not on "hiatus"

For some reason I couldn't copy the article but you can read it here.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119033/conservatives-misrepresent-climate-scientist
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING. BACKWARDS!

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »
Denying climate change is like a guy getting caught in the act of adultery by his wife and saying "Who you gonna believe? Me or your lying eyes?"

Climate change is obvious. It's going to get a lot more obvious soon. I'm sure the paid shills will find something else to lie about, or some other way to shift the blame.

Air time is fairly irrelevant to those of us who don't have a TV set. LOL.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
Climate change is obvious. It's going to get a lot more obvious soon. I'm sure the paid shills will find something else to lie about, or some other way to shift the blame.

Anthropogenic climate disruption (aka, "climate change") is a collective symptom of a global pattern of behavioral addiction.  [ https://www.google.com/#q=behavioral+addiction ]

The "paid shills" are the equivalent of the tobacco industry spokespersons prior to the widespread cultural acknowledgement of the undeniable hazards of smoking.  Their job is to conspire with the addicts in their denial and ignorance -- to prevent a collective awakening ("hitting bottom") from a collective delusional trance.

Our culture does not recognize collective (cultural) behavioral addiction as real and important. We are taught to think of addiction in narrowly personal terms. A person is an addict, never a whole society!

Our culture is behaviorally addicted to a substance known as fossil fuels.  And the cultural "mainstream" (media, schools, churches, etc.) is deeply in the thrall of enabling. [ https://www.google.com/#q=enabling+addiction ]

It's important to recognize that our cultural model for therapy, "treatment," medicine, etc., is very individual oriented -- to the point that we can hardly imagine our need for a collective form of therapeutics for collective treatment of psychopathology -- or any other sort of pathology. We do not tend to understand that the treatment for collective behavioral addictions must be focused upon a whole society rather than merely on individuals within that society.

Until we have a paradigm shift in "the healing arts" which acknowledges and understands collective behavioral addiction, our collective addiction will proceed as usual.

Individuals who think that "the problem" with our fossilly fueled world is "them" ("They will never change, so why should I?") are deep in the thrall of collective pathology. And the cultural (and media) mainstream is on their side!

My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Eddie said,

Air time is fairly irrelevant to those of us who don't have a TV set.
  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

One phenomenon that I think is quite positive is the FACT that the children of the rich that have most to lose from a remake of civilization with max energy use quotas regardless of monetary wealth are raising holy hell in the colleges to go 100% Renewable energy. Daddy and mommy probably think it's "just one of the hippy phases". I don't think so. The children of the rich have HAD IT with the environmental trashing BULLSHIT pushed as "economic progress".  ;D
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
Denying climate change is like a guy getting caught in the act of adultery by his wife and saying "Who you gonna believe? Me or your lying eyes?"

Look for more externalized costs coming to a theatre near you.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Look for more externalized costs coming to a theatre near you.

Wouldn't it be nice if it were a theatrical performance? We could leave the theater -- with or without a ticket refund!

For the first time ever we--as a species-- have nowhere else to go to escape our ruinous ways. No nearby planets offer adequate air or temperatures. No faraway island or continent will provide an escape route.  Clearly there is no longer an "away" to throw our trash or emissions to.

As for externalized costs, we're a thousand times over budget! All of the imaginary money in the world can't plug this hole.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!