AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1396479 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Knarf's Knewz Channel
« Reply #11805 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:50 PM »
Cannabis went legal state by state, and under the Obama administration, the federal government wisely decided to not pursue prosecution of individuals who were abiding by their particular state statutes...even though federal law still made pot illegal everywhere.

When Trump was elected, there was a lot of worry, because Jeff Sessions was known to be anti-pot...but apparently they still have largely stayed with the prior guidelines set when Holder was AG...and only went after interstate smugglers and black market wholesalers.

Under federal law, pot was a Schedule 1 drug, same as heroin...which is a category that essentially says the drug has no medical benefits.

Only CBD has been removed from Schedule 1, as of now. It is a schedule 5.

The FDA is a joke, bought and paid for by big pharma.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: January 12, 2019, 05:31:41 AM »
All I can say is that when I'm high I'm not fit to drive :evil4: Don't think I'm fit for much else except eating and sleeping. Gee not much different from what I'm regularly fit for :icon_scratch:. Crap I might as well get high :laugh:.
Nullis in Verba

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
“They can’t go to work, and so then they have the vacation.”

President Donald Trump’s chief economic adviser is in hot water with Americans after trying to spin his boss’s four-week shutdown, the longest in history, as a free “vacation” for federal workers.

Kevin Hassett says many federal workers were planning on taking vacation at the end of the year, but since Trump’s shutdown began on December 22, they are “better off” than they would have been without the shutdown.

“A huge share of government workers were going to take vacation days, say, between Christmas and New Year’s,” Hassett, smiling, told PBS Newshour economic correspondent Paul Solman, according to Politico.

“And then we have a shutdown, and so they can’t go to work, and so then they have the vacation, but they don’t have to use their vacation days,” he says, as if “the vacation” is a gift. “And then they come back, and then they get their back pay. Then they’re — in some sense, they’re better off.”

Watch

---pbs video

JM Rieger

@RiegerReport

White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett on furloughed workers:

“They can't go to work and so then they have the vacation, but they don't have to use their vacation days. And then they come back, and then they get their back pay. Then they're—in some sense they're better off."
3:49 PM - Jan 11, 2019

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/watch-trumps-chief-economic-adviser-says-shutdown-giving-unpaid-federal-workers-free-vacation/
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: January 12, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
All I can say is that when I'm high I'm not fit to drive :evil4: Don't think I'm fit for much else except eating and sleeping. Gee not much different from what I'm regularly fit for :icon_scratch:. Crap I might as well get high :laugh:.

It affected me more when I was young..

But I smoked a lot from age 15 to 35 and then quit cold turkey and abstained for nearly 20 years. Toward the end of my earlier incarnation I began to experience an interesting phenomenon. I began to not get noticeably high at all. And it wasn't because the pot I was smoking was bad...it wasn't.

Now I have to smoke the very strong concentrates to feel impaired. With enough THC it's possible, but I only feel that way when I smoke dabs, which I seldom indulge in. Hash oil doesn't do it. Even today's killer sensimilla clones  only give me a very mild buzz. Guess political tolerance is not my only tolerance.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: January 12, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »

It affected me more when I was young..

But I smoked a lot from age 15 to 35 and then quit cold turkey and abstained for nearly 20 years. Toward the end of my earlier incarnation I began to experience an interesting phenomenon. I began to not get noticeably high at all. And it wasn't because the pot I was smoking was bad...it wasn't.

Now I have to smoke the very strong concentrates to feel impaired. With enough THC it's possible, but I only feel that way when I smoke dabs, which I seldom indulge in. Hash oil doesn't do it. Even today's killer sensimilla clones  only give me a very mild buzz. Guess political tolerance is not my only tolerance.

I smoked a lot in the past too. Smoking THC levels of about 16 will get me a little high. They have pot that has a ranking of 22. I f I get Medical Marijuana I think I will get 3/4 indica 1/4 sativa about 17, I don't want get wasted just relief.
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
👨‍⚕️ Pain Remedies
« Reply #11810 on: January 12, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »
I don't want get wasted just relief.

You want Relief from Pain?  You came to the right place.  I am the GLOBAL EXPERT on PAIN 😧.

2 Tylenol, 3 Ibuprofen, 2 Percocet, 3 Shots Glenlivet 18 year old Single Malt Scotch, 4 Cold Smoked Nova Scotia Salmon & Cream Cheese on Crostini, 1 bottle Mineral water to wash it all down with.  You can substitute for the Crostini with your favorite absorptive & stomach lining coating snack.  Don't follow this recipe on an empty stomach, it will not forgive you.

Call me in the morning.

Dr. RE 👨‍⚕️
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:48:46 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 👨‍⚕️ Pain Remedies
« Reply #11811 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:38 AM »

You want Relief from Pain?  You came to the right place.  I am the GLOBAL EXPERT on PAIN 😧.

2 Tylenol, 3 Ibuprofen, 2 Percocet, 3 Shots Glenlivet 18 year old Single Malt Scotch, 4 Cold Smoked Nova Scotia Salmon & Cream Cheese on Crostini, 1 bottle Mineral water to wash it all down with.  You can substitute for the Crostini with your favorite absorptive & stomach lining coating snack.  Don't follow this recipe on an empty stomach, it will not forgive you.

Call me in the morning.

Dr. RE 👨‍⚕️

That recipe sounds like the pain relief would bring on sleep in the near future. Marijuana is a stimulant too. Especially Sativa.
I would love the Crostini though for SURE!

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #11812 on: January 13, 2019, 01:54:44 AM »

Call me in the morning.

Dr. RE 👨‍⚕️

Even for the of us inclined to speed through the warnings about opioids and alcohol, be advised that you need a tolerance and track record for alcohol as an accelerator. The three shots listed above would cripple a rookie. Ill advised. This from a guy who for years chased Vicodin with a Manhattan.

:emthup: :emthup: :emthup: in re the full stomach.

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
An Ocean Engineer and a Nuclear Physicist Walk Into Congress …
« Reply #11813 on: January 13, 2019, 03:17:03 AM »
MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. — From a couch on the back deck of a dockside restaurant, the Beatles playing in the background and a breeze blowing off the water, Joe Cunningham gestured to Shem Creek.

“This could be the reality here, of oil rigs and oil spills off the beach,” Mr. Cunningham said. “An oil spill could just decimate the area, and all of a sudden instead of people coming to Charleston, South Carolina, they high-tail it down to Florida or somewhere else.”

Offshore drilling might not captivate voters in most parts of the country, but it did here. For months, Mr. Cunningham called for the restoration of a federal ban as his Republican opponent, Katie Arrington, talked about immigration and warned that a vote for him would be a vote for Nancy Pelosi’s “San Francisco values.” And in November, Mr. Cunningham, 36, defeated Ms. Arrington in a House district that last elected a Democrat four years before he was born.

It was one of the biggest upsets of the midterms, and it turned on an ideal issue for a candidate who, before he became a lawyer, was an ocean engineer.

“‘We believe in science’ — that line always drew applause,” he said in an interview. “I think it’s a sad state of affairs when you have to actually say that. Imagine someone saying that about any other subject, like, ‘I believe in history’ — topics that are proven with evidence and facts and numbers.”

Mr. Cunningham is one of at least 11 freshman representatives with a background in science, medicine or technology. Eight of them are Democrats, and they are some of the first victors of a trend that began soon after President Trump was elected: Alarmed by inaction on climate change and the administration’s marginalization of experts, many more scientists have been entering politics.

“There is this growing consensus among the scientific community that they need to go beyond advocacy and signing polite letters and actually get involved in electoral politics,” said Shaughnessy Naughton, a chemist and the president of 314 Action, a two-year-old organization that supports candidates with scientific and medical backgrounds. The group — which raised $4 million for the 2018 elections — trained about 1,500 prospective candidates and supported the eight winning Democrats, as well as Senator Jacky Rosen and more than 30 successful state-level candidates. (While members of any party can attend trainings, the group doesn’t endorse Republicans for federal offices because, Ms. Naughton said, “we can’t justify supporting Republicans when the G.O.P. platform is aligned against scientific consensus on issues like climate change.”)

Elaine Luria, an engineer who operated nuclear reactors in the Navy, flipped Virginia’s Second Congressional District, which had been represented by a Republican for 16 of the past 20 years. Kim Schrier, a pediatrician, won Washington’s Eighth District, which had never elected a Democrat. Sean Casten, a biochemist, defeated a six-term Republican incumbent in the Sixth District of Illinois. T.J. Cox, a chemical engineer, won in California; Chrissy Houlahan, also an engineer, in Pennsylvania; Lauren Underwood, a registered nurse, in Illinois; and Jeff Van Drew, a dentist, in New Jersey.

At least three Republicans with science or medical backgrounds, and starkly different views, also won House seats: Mark Green of Tennessee, a former Army physician; Kevin Hern of Oklahoma, a businessman with a degree in aerospace engineering; and John Joyce of Pennsylvania, a dermatologist.
Editors’ Picks
Gumbo, the Classic New Orleans Dish, Is Dead. Long Live Gumbo.
Down and Out of Tennis at 22. Back at 28.
Cancer Pushes New York’s ‘First Girlfriend,’ Sandra Lee, Onto Political Stage

In several of the districts that flipped, science was at the very center of the campaign. 314 Action spent $500,000 on advertising in Mr. Cunningham’s race, hammering the offshore drilling issue, and it was largely based on that issue that Mr. Cunningham received endorsements from several local Republican officials. The same issue resonated in coastal Virginia, where Ms. Luria said she “did not meet a single person on the campaign trail, regardless of political affiliation, who wants offshore drilling off of our coast.”

For Mr. Casten — a former cancer researcher with degrees in molecular biology, biochemistry and biochemical engineering — the big issue involved Sterigenics, a company that sterilizes medical equipment at a facility in Willowbrook, Ill. The plant uses a carcinogenic chemical called ethylene oxide, and a Department of Health and Human Services report released in August found a high risk of cancer in nearby communities. (Sterigenics said the report had “purposefully relied upon a worst-case scenario for assessing risk.”)

The report became a liability for the incumbent Republican, Peter Roskam, who had received campaign contributions from the American Chemistry Council. The council and Sterigenics had been lobbying the E.P.A. for several years not to classify ethylene oxide as a known human carcinogen, and Mr. Roskam — whose spokeswoman declined to make him available for an interview — had supported legislation to put industry representatives on the E.P.A. boards that make such decisions.

Now that they are in Washington, the Democratic scientists-turned-representatives face a new challenge. Many of them said that, beyond addressing climate change and other science-related issues, they wanted to bring a more scientific mind-set to Congress.

For the last six years, the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology was led by Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican with no scientific background. Under him, the committee investigated the debunked idea that global warming had “paused,” subpoenaed organizations whose research affirmed the reality of climate change, and promoted rules that reduced the number of scientists and increased the number of industry representatives on E.P.A. advisory panels. At times, committee members showed a basic lack of scientific knowledge: During a hearing in 2014, Steve Stockman, another Texas Republican, said it was nonsensical to think melting glaciers and ice sheets would increase sea levels because glasses don’t overflow when the ice cubes in them melt.

Mr. Smith has now retired, and four other Republicans on the committee were not re-elected. The new chairwoman, Eddie Bernice Johnson, a Texas Democrat and former psychiatric nurse, is the first person with a scientific background to hold that position since the 1990s. Ms. Johnson said in an interview that she had invited the new scientists to join, though committee assignments may not be finalized for several weeks.

But the old dynamics are not going to disappear.

There will continue to be tension even with some of the scientists on the other side of the aisle: Mr. Hern, the aerospace engineer elected in Oklahoma, has questioned whether human activity is the primary cause of climate change, and Mr. Green, the doctor from Tennessee, repeated the debunked claim that vaccines can cause autism. (He later backtracked, telling HuffPost that children should be vaccinated.) They, too, feel their experience gives them a more authoritative voice and, in Mr. Hern’s words, “an understanding of many of the issues that others might not have.”

Representative Don Beyer of Virginia, a Democrat on the science committee, acknowledged that eight people could not “change the entire culture.” But, he said, they could change Congress’s perspective.

“So often, our perspective of politicians is lawyers and people with the gift of gab,” Mr. Beyer said. “Now we’re getting people that have a deep knowledge of mathematics and physics and chemistry and biology, and that’s a really important perspective in an increasingly scientific world.”

Mr. Cunningham is already preparing a bill that would ban drilling off the Atlantic coast for 10 years. Mr. Beyer and Bill Foster — an Illinois Democrat and physicist who is the only member of Congress with a doctorate in a scientific field — described several other legislative priorities for the committee, including more oversight of the E.P.A. and other science-related government bodies; regulation of developing technologies like human genetic engineering, artificial intelligence, cryptocurrencies and mobile payments; and, of course, measures to combat climate change. One of the first may be carbon pricing legislation — which would charge corporations for their carbon emissions — because unlike more aggressive measures, Mr. Foster said he believed that might get through the Republican-led Senate.

Mr. Foster said he believed Mr. Casten would be particularly helpful on carbon pricing. With experience in both biochemistry and business, Mr. Casten can “really talk about the nuts and bolts about what it means,” he said, “and how different industry sectors will react to that, and how that’s going to affect the carbon footprint of different industries, in a quantitative way.”

Ultimately, that sort of subject expertise, more than the Sisyphean task of changing the congressional approach to science, may be the new members’ most immediate contribution.

While talking about Ms. Luria, a nuclear engineer, Mr. Foster recalled the congressional discussion of the Iran nuclear agreement, which included a page describing the technical changes Iran needed to make to its reactor cores to ensure that the reactors could not produce large quantities of weapons-grade plutonium.

“Democrats and Republicans were coming to me in this period saying, ‘Bill, what does this mean and how should I vote on it?’” he said. “With Elaine there, at least that will cut my workload in half. We’ll have two competent members who can talk about reactor cores.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/13/us/politics/scientists-congress.html

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: January 13, 2019, 05:00:25 AM »

Call me in the morning.

Dr. RE 👨‍⚕️

Even for the of us inclined to speed through the warnings about opioids and alcohol, be advised that you need a tolerance and track record for alcohol as an accelerator. The three shots listed above would cripple a rookie. Ill advised. This from a guy who for years chased Vicodin with a Manhattan.

All I know, and it's not much, is that usually, acetaminophenen (Tylenol) and alcohol don't mix. I know Glenfiddich is great for everything :emthup:. Had a case once where the client was a closet alcoholic and took a bunch of Tylenol to relieve her back pain. She woke up 3 weeks later with a liver transplant from Stanford Medical center. She almost didn't make it. Just saying. . . be careful when mixing stuff.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: January 13, 2019, 06:37:37 AM »

Call me in the morning.

Dr. RE 👨‍⚕️

When it's you versus the Grim Reaper in the Battle for All the Marbles, you pull out all the stops.  Not even the Reaper can handle this.  Even with a high tolerance for alcohol like I have, this will fucking knock you on your ass.  The mixture with the Percocet does that.  Don't plan on going anywhere except from your desk to your bed, if you can make it that far without falling down first.

When you finally do wake up (if you do), back it up with a Loaded Bloody Mary to cure the hangover.

Don't Fear the Reaper.  Get him too shit-faced to do his job.  (more old guys doing the rock & roll thing)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbzcSlcWd18" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WbzcSlcWd18</a>

RE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:51:09 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
1950s Western Predicted a Border Wall From a Fictional Con Man Named Trump
« Reply #11816 on: January 13, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGWL1mMJHss&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kGWL1mMJHss&fs=1</a>

An episode of a 1950s Western drama may have foretold America’s current border wall crisis more than 60 years ago. Politics today and the show both feature men named Trump with a wall that is promised to protect every citizen from danger.

“Trackdown” aired on CBS between 1957 and 1959 and took place in Texas following the Civil War. The series followed Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman, played by Robert Culp, on his adventures protecting the people of the Lone Star State. The 30th episode of the show, titled “The End of The World,” premiered on May 9, 1958, and saw a con man named Walter Trump, played by Lawrence Dobkin, attempt to scam the entire town.

Snopes confirmed that the eerily prescient episode was real.

The fictional Trump warned the Texans that apocalyptic meteors would strike the town at midnight, but he could protect everyone. “I bring you a message,” he said. “A message few of you will be able to believe…but be not afraid my friends: I also bring you the means with which to save yourself.”

His solution was to build a wall made of magical metal that would repel the meteors and keep everyone safe. As the citizens started to believe Trump, he offered to give them walls for $50 each. However, Ranger Gilman wasn’t convinced. Pandemonium erupted in the town, but in the end Gilman arrests Trump for grand theft and fraud.

Even though “Trackdown” was a fictional show, the events of that episode closely mirror what is happening today. As today’s government shutdown enters its third week with no compromise on the Mexican border wall in sight, the country may be hoping for a Ranger Gilman of its own to bring an end to it.

https://variety.com/2019/politics/news/trackdown-1950s-tv-show-border-wall-trump-1203106000/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Right-wing activists stormed the security wall surrounding House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s California mansion and demanded access into the building Monday.

The group was led by Laura Loomer, an activist who has been at the center of many stunts, including interrupting congressional hearings and chaining herself to the doors of Twitter’s New York offices.

Loomer was joined by a small group of alleged illegal immigrants from Guatemala. Loomer and her accomplices carried a large banner with the faces of notable Americans who have been killed by illegal immigrant crime over the recent years attached to its surface.

The entire event was live-streamed on Twitter.

Will Sommer
‏Verified account @willsommer

Right-wing activist Laura Loomer, last seen chaining herself to Twitter HQ, has jumped the fence at Nancy Pelosi's Napa home and set up a tent protesting immigration. Now she's chanting "Nancy, Nancy!"

12:01 PM - 14 Jan 2019

2,336 Retweets
    5,341 Likes

During one part of the video, Loomer could be seen marching to the door of Pelosi’s mansion, demanding she be let in to make a “sandwich” with the other illegal aliens. Loomer found the door to be locked and complained that it was “hypocritical” of Pelosi to not have “open doors and borders” to her own property.

The authorities eventually arrived on scene and at the time of this writing, were attempting to escort Loomer and her cohorts off the premises.

The government is currently in the third week of a partial shutdown due to negotiation disagreements between congressional Democrats and President Donald Trump on funding for border security.

Pelosi has said that a border wall is “immoral” and declared that Democrats will not give “one cent” to funding a border wall. Nancy Pelosi recently told the press that GOP demands for a border wall to secure the southern border is an “act of desperation.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/activists-pelosi-mansion-wall/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Donald Trump had a terrible weekend. The Washington Post reported that Donald Trump concealed the details of five meetings with Putin and that he even went so far as to physically take possession of interpreter Marina Gross’ notes, further instructing her not to speak to anyone about the contents of the meeting, not even senior White House or State Department officials. That’s rather damning behavior on the face of it. Why wouldn’t Trump want his closest national security advisers to be aware of the content of the discussion between him and Putin?

As media outlets worldwide blasted out this bombshell of a story, Trump turned to good ol’ reliably friendly Fox News in an attempt to take control of the media narrative and diminish the obviously damning news. He called in to speak with Fox host Jeanine Pirro, whose dedication to Trump rivals that of Sean Hannity. He was obviously expecting fluff questions, and Pirro delivered, but even then, he couldn’t help himself. When asked directly whether he was working for Russia, he just couldn’t bring himself to say no. Seeing the negative headlines that resulted over the past 24 hours, he addressed the issue when asked again this morning and finally said, “No, I never worked for Russia,” before berating the reporter for even asking the question. You can see this exchange below.

But, let’s get back to the Pirro interview, because he did something else remarkable during the call: He suggested that the Fox News host and other media look into Michael Cohen’s father-in-law. Here’s the full exchange between Pirro and Trump, discussing Michael Cohen’s upcoming public testimony before the House Oversight Committee. [Shout-out to Daily Kos community member KeithDB for the transcript and felony details; join the community discussion in his post here.]

PIRRO:  All right.  And now, of course, Little Adam Schiff, as you call him, is going to be dragging in, and Jerry Nadler are going to be bringing in Michael Cohen, an already-proven liar, to Congress, convicted of it. You know, are you—are you worried that—

TRUMP:  No, look, I was a client of his. You know, and you’re supposed to have lawyer/client privilege, but it doesn’t matter because I’m a very honest person, frankly. But he’s in trouble on some loans and fraud and taxi cabs and stuff that I know nothing about.

PIRRO: And taxi medallions.

TRUMP: And in order to get his sentence reduced, he says, I have an idea, I’ll tell—I’ll give you some information on the president. Well, there is no information. But he should give information maybe on his father-in-law, because that’s the one that people want to look at. Because where does that money—that’s the money in the family. And I guess he didn’t want to talk about his father—he’s trying to get his sentence reduced.

So, it’s pretty sad. You know, it’s weak and it’s very sad to watch a thing like that. I couldn’t care less.

PIRRO: What is his father-in-law’s name?

TRUMP: I don’t know, but you’ll find out, and you’ll look into it because nobody knows what’s going on over there.

Again, I was a client. I was a client. He has a law firm. They broke into his law firm sometime early in the morning, I guess, and they took—this couldn’t happen to anybody except you’re dealing with McCabe, you’re dealing with the remnants of Comey.

And wait until you see how it all ends up, you watch. McCabe, Lisa Page, Strzok, wait until you see how that all ends up, including some others that I could name ... We’ll make—we’ll make front page news if I do.

It seems unmistakably clear that Donald Trump is encouraging a major media network to pursue an investigation of a witness who is scheduled to publicly testify with damning information on Donald Trump. This action appears to meet the threshold of felony witness tampering. Democrats think so too, and they warned Trump to cease his public attacks on Michael Cohen. From NBC News:

The integrity of our process to serve as an independent check on the Executive Branch must be respected by everyone, including the President," Democratic chairmen Elijah Cummings, Adam Schiff and Jerrold Nadler of the House Oversight, Intelligence, and Judiciary Committees said in a joint statement.

"Our nation’s laws prohibit efforts to discourage, intimidate, or otherwise pressure a witness not to provide testimony to Congress. The President should make no statement or take any action to obstruct Congress’ independent oversight and investigative efforts, including by seeking to discourage any witness from testifying in response to a duly authorized request from Congress."

From possible witness tampering to obstruction of justice, there is a reason Donald Trump is so eager to stop Michael Cohen from telling the world all he knows about Donald Trump. Cohen’s lawyer and representative, Lanny Davis, told MSNBC’s Kasie Hunt over the weekend that Michael Cohen is quite simply the “greatest threat” to Trump and his presidency: “Donald Trump sees Michael Cohen, and I would say justifiably, as the greatest threat to his presidency and what could be criminal and impeachable actions as president.”

For what it’s worth, Michael Cohen’s father-in-law, Fima Shusterman, has been linked to organized crime and was convicted in 1993 for crimes related to money laundering. Trump reportedly hired Cohen as a favor to Shusterman. And Trump seemed to have no problem with Shusterman when Trump was in the business of whatever it was he was doing before he ran for office.

As we get closer to Michael Cohen’s Feb. 7 testimony, it seems extremely likely Trump’s behavior will continue to spiral downward as the walls begin to close in.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/1/14/1826089/-Trump-s-call-in-to-Fox-News-backfires-and-he-may-have-committed-a-felony-in-the-process

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Mnangagwa Seeks Cash in Russia as Zimbabwe Descends Into Chaos
« Reply #11819 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:12 AM »

Protesters block the main route to Zimbabwe's capital Harare from Epworth township on Jan. 14.

Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa said he’s seeking loans from Russia on a visit to Moscow as protests erupted across his country Monday, leaving 24 people injured and five possibly dead.

“I can’t say that we want this much or that much,” he said in an interview with the state-run Russian news agency RIA Novosti published Tuesday ahead of a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Kremlin announcement of the talks made no mention of loans and Moscow has in the past been reluctant to bail out struggling allies, though Russia has recently been building ties in Africa.

In Zimbabwe, the protests spread from the capital, Harare, to the second city of Bulawayo and some smaller towns. They followed the government’s decision to increase taxes on fuel, more than doubling the price of the already scarce commodity and making it the world’s most expensive when compared to prices quoted by GlobalPetrolPrices.com.

The Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights said 13 protesters were treated for gunshot wounds on Monday. NewsDay, a Harare-based newspaper, reported the same organization as upping the number of injured to 24 and five killed during the demonstrations.

Authorities ordered Internet service providers to restrict access to social-media sites including WhatsApp, TechZim reported Tuesday.

The opposition Movement for Democratic Change said in an emailed statement its headquarters in Harare were broken into Monday night and set ablaze by unknown assailants.
Russian Reach

Mnangagwa’s trip to Russia, which began Monday, was planned before the protests erupted. He’s also scheduled to visit Kazakhstan, Belarus and Azerbaijan before flying to Davos, Switzerland, in an effort to raise investment for his economically blighted nation.

In the RIA interview, he invited Russian companies to discuss investing in oil and gas projects in Zimbabwe, as well as in the energy sector. Russia’s state-owned diamond giant Alrosa PJSC Monday announced plans to return to Zimbabwe to develop new mining operations with the support of the government.

From Libya to Madagascar, Russia has been carving out a niche in Africa in part by shoring up strongmen in unstable but potentially rich states. The Kremlin has made the region a focus of its efforts to reassert geopolitical prowess and open new markets for domestic companies hamstrung by Western sanctions. Putin will host more than 50 leaders from the continent for the first Russia-Africa summit this year.

In the RIA interview, Mnangagwa rejected opposition allegations that Russia or China meddled in the elections that brought him to power in 2017.
Protests Continue

In Zimbabwe, Mnangagwa’s absence leaves Vice President Constantino Chiwenga, a retired general, in charge of the southern African country.

Security Minister Owen Ncube told the state-controlled Herald newspaper that the MDC, non-governmental organizations and civil-society bodies were to blame for Monday’s violence.

“The prevailing security situation in the country is a culmination of a well-orchestrated series of events by the MDC Alliance working in cahoots with NGOs, civic society, youth organizations, pressure groups and individuals,” he told the Herald, adding that the “MDC Alliance activated its notorious terror groups.”

The Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions, which called for three days of protests on Sunday, urged Zimbabweans to continue the demonstrations today.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-14/zimbabweans-are-left-reeling-as-cash-starved-economy-implodes