AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1498859 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Knarf's Knewz Channel
« Reply #12120 on: March 16, 2019, 10:32:43 AM »
Much better to suck off the centurions of the status quo. Let's never do anything, but clutch pearls and wring hands
I'm not advocating for that either, but the inertia is so immense, the problem so multi-dimensional, that whatever explanation of the Situation you provide has to be unassailable TEFLON. Whatever you'll do will have to be done steadfastly with historically unheard of resolve.
Gimmicks are prone to backfiring.

Then where to start? Young people, whose lives are in line to be trashed, have tried this gimmick to get the attention of term elders, who nod, smile, and get back to the Godswork of making their quarter.

I completely agree that the inertia is immense, and the forces of greed so richly and deeply arrayed as to make the effort seem futile. Which is right where they want ordinary people. throwing up our hands, sighing, and saying "what's the use?"

I wonder what "explanation of the cause" of anthropogenic climate change" could be made to your satisfaction?

What do you mean "you wonder" ?  You're on the Doomstead Diner for crying out loud !
You know damn well the climate change issue isn't one to be looked at in isolation.
You either give a proper assessment of the WHOLE BIG PICTURE to show you're TRULY COMPETENT ... or you PROVE that you're not by throwing a grab bag of progressive policies and throw them under the umbrella of a half assed Green New Deal  ...

If we wait for that, we might as well go full trump. As it is, the debate seems to be, "here we dead in ten years or 100 years?"

Perhaps the "Green New Deal" is half-assed. At least it's a start. All you get from republicans (and the corpadems who love their donors) is some variant of "drill baby, drill."

but Ocasio-Cortez majored in international relations and economics at Boston University, graduating cum laude in 2011.

I've been reading about energy, economics and finance for over 13 years non stop now, and the time has long passed that such a resume would actually impress me.
The truth is, a science and economics background should now be mandatory qualifications for any government leadership position in all advanced countries. The system is to complex now for overly ambitious lawyers, economist and 'social scientists' to have a go at demonstrating what 'Silo Thinking' can do for us...

You are taking my comment out of context. Citing AOC's credentials was not meant to impress you, but merely to reply to the fuckwit who described her as a "twit." If you have followed her work this far in the House, she's done a really good job in her public outings. Especially for a rookie. I was much impressed with how she spent her five minutes during the House Oversight Committee hearing. I think she will represent her district, and her generation , pretty well. Expect the republicans to richly fund Joe Crowley or some other opponent to get her removed in the next election. She poses far too much of a threat to the status quo, just by mentioning certain policy issues that were never to be spoken of publicly, lest we proles get our hopes up.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline UnhingedBecauseLucid

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12121 on: March 16, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
I was much impressed with how she spent her five minutes during the House Oversight Committee hearing. I think she will represent her district, and her generation , pretty well.

I confess to not having heard her speak for very long, a few writing only quotes here and there...
She's still young, and therefore still has much too learn, that's why I find her to be a little too presumptuous for someone having such blatant blind spots.
As far as I'm concerned, you arrive thoroughly prepared, or not at all, if you're out to 'lead the world'.

Let's wait and see...but I swear, ...if she utters the words "green growth" ....

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:43:23 PM by UnhingedBecauseLucid »
Man can do what he will, but he cannot will what he wills.
­~ A. Schopenhauer

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Climate protests: First the students, now adults in France
« Reply #12122 on: March 16, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
PARIS (AP) — While some yellow vest protesters rioted along a famed Paris avenue, elsewhere in the French capital an entirely different scene unfolded Saturday: tens of thousands of people marching peacefully to urge faster government action against global warming.

Families, movie stars, activists and politicians were among 30,000 people who demonstrated from the city’s famed Opera Garnier to the Republic Plaza. Some carried signs reading “There is no Planet B” and “Dinosaurs also thought they had time.”

It was among dozens of climate rallies around France on Saturday, the day after student climate protests took place in hundreds of cities in more than 100 nations.

Singing songs and holding hands, the French climate protesters were a sharp contrast with the violence on the Champs-Elysees avenue, where yellow vest protesters and troublemakers set fires, ransacked luxury boutiques and clashed with French riot police who were firing tear gas and water cannon to disperse them.

French President Emmanuel Macron made a passionate call this week to speed up the global fight against climate change. He sees himself as a guarantor of the 2015 Paris climate accord, and has stood up firmly to skepticism from U.S. President Donald Trump.

But activists say Macron’s government isn’t ambitious enough in cutting emissions. Scientists have warned for decades that current levels of greenhouse gas emissions are unsustainable, so far with little effect.

Saturday’s protest was part of what Greenpeace, Oxfam and two French environmental groups call “The Affair of the Century,” an activist effort they launched in December.

An online climate petition garnered more than 2 million signatures and backing from stars like Juliette Binoche and Marion Cotillard. The groups then filed legal action Thursday to try to take the state to court to speed up action against global warming.

Those moves can have political consequences, however.

The yellow vest protest movement is an example of the challenges of aggressive climate policy. It started out of anger over rises in fuel taxes that Macron said were necessary to wean France off using fossil fuels. Protesters said they disproportionately hit working classes in the provinces who rely on their cars to get to work, school, doctor’s offices and stores.

Macron later delayed the fuel tax hike because of the fierce protests.

Saturday’s marches came the day after angry students in more than 100 countries walked out of classes to protest what they see as the failures by their governments to cut emissions of heat-trapping gases.

https://apnews.com/2002b876ce0a46a8b0e19c84719c6504
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING. BACKWARDS!

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Lots of pics from twitter and more....It is a total mess!  Another freak weather event that is going to cost millions, if billions.

https://weather.com/safety/floods/news/2019-03-15-record-flooding-nebraska-iowa-south-dakota-bomb-cyclone-snowmelt

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
"Medieval" Diseases Flare as Unsanitary Living Conditions Proliferate
« Reply #12124 on: March 16, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
Typhus and other infectious illnesses hit homeless communities

Jennifer Millar keeps trash bags and hand sanitizer near her tent, and she regularly pours water mixed with hydrogen peroxide on the sidewalk nearby. Keeping herself and the patch of concrete she calls home clean is a top priority.

But this homeless encampment off a Hollywood freeway ramp is often littered with needles and trash, and soaked in urine. Rats occasionally scamper through, and Millar fears the consequences.

“I worry about all those diseases,” said Millar, 43, who said she has been homeless most of her life.

Infectious diseases—some that ravaged populations in the Middle Ages—are resurging in California and around the country, and are hitting homeless populations especially hard.

Los Angeles recently experienced an outbreak of typhus—a disease spread by infected fleas on rats and other animals—in downtown streets. Officials briefly closed part of City Hall after reporting that rodents had invaded the building.

People in Washington state have been infected with Shigella bacteria, which is spread through feces and causes the diarrheal disease shigellosis, as well as Bartonella quintana, which spreads through body lice and causes trench fever.

Hepatitis A, also spread primarily through feces, infected more than 1,000 people in Southern California in the past two years. The disease also has erupted in New Mexico, Ohio and Kentucky, primarily among people who are homeless or use drugs.

Public health officials and politicians are using terms like “disaster” and “public health crisis” to describe the outbreaks, and they warn that these diseases can easily jump beyond the homeless population.

“Our homeless crisis is increasingly becoming a public health crisis,” California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in his State of the State speech in February, citing outbreaks of hepatitis A in San Diego County, syphilis in Sonoma County and typhus in Los Angeles County.

“Typhus,” he said. “A medieval disease. In California. In 2019.”

The diseases have flared as the nation’s homeless population has grown in the past two years: About 553,000 people were homeless at the end of 2018, and nearly one-quarter of homeless people live in California.

The diseases spread quickly and widely among people living outside or in shelters, fueled by sidewalks contaminated with human feces, crowded living conditions, weakened immune systems and limited access to health care.

“The hygiene situation is just horrendous” for people living on the streets, said Dr. Glenn Lopez, a physician with St. John’s Well Child & Family Center, who treats homeless patients in Los Angeles County. “It becomes just like a Third World environment where their human feces contaminate the areas where they are eating and sleeping.”

Those infectious diseases are not limited to homeless populations, Lopez warned. “Even someone who believes they are protected from these infections are not.”

At least one Los Angeles city staffer said she contracted typhus in City Hall last fall. And San Diego County officials warned in 2017 that diners at a well-known restaurant were at risk of hepatitis A.

There were 167 cases of typhus from Jan. 1, 2018, through Feb. 1 of this year, up from 125 in 2013 and 13 in 2008, according to the California Public Health Department.

Typhus is a bacterial infection that can cause a high fever, stomach pain and chills but can be treated with antibiotics. Outbreaks are more common in overcrowded and trash-filled areas that attract rats.

The recent typhus outbreak began last fall, when health officials reported clusters of the flea-borne disease in downtown Los Angeles and Compton. They also have occurred in Pasadena, where the problems are likely due to people feeding stray cats carrying fleas.

Last month, the county announced another outbreak in downtown Los Angeles that infected nine people, six of whom were homeless. After city workers said they saw rodent droppings in City Hall, Los Angeles City Council President Herb Wesson briefly shut down his office to rip up the rugs, and he also called for an investigation and more cleaning.

Hepatitis A is caused by a virus usually transmitted when people come in contact with feces of infected people. Most people recover on their own, but the disease can be very serious for those with underlying liver conditions. There were 948 cases of hepatitis A in 2017 and 178 in 2018 and 2019, the state public health department said. Twenty-one people have died as a result of the 2017-18 outbreak.

The infections around the country are not a surprise, given the lack of attention to housing and health care for the homeless and the dearth of bathrooms and places to wash hands, said Dr. Jeffrey Duchin, the health officer for Seattle and King County, Wash.

“It’s a public health disaster,” he said.

In his area, Duchin said, he has seen shigellosis, trench fever and skin infections among homeless populations.

In New York City, where more of the homeless population lives in shelters rather than on the streets, there have not been the same outbreaks of hepatitis A and typhus, said Dr. Kelly Doran, an emergency medicine physician and assistant professor at NYU School of Medicine. But Doran said different infections occur in shelters, including tuberculosis, a disease that spreads through the air and typically infects the lungs.

The diseases sometimes get the “medieval” moniker because people in that era lived in squalid conditions without clean water or sewage treatment, said Dr. Jeffrey Klausner, a professor of medicine and public health at UCLA.

People living on the streets or in homeless shelters are vulnerable to such outbreaks because their weakened immune systems are worsened by stress, malnutrition and sleep deprivation. Many also have mental illness and substance abuse disorders, which can make it harder for them to stay healthy or get health care.

One recent February afternoon, Saban Community Clinic physician assistant Negeen Farmand walked through homeless encampments in Hollywood carrying a backpack with medical supplies. She stopped to talk to a man sweeping the sidewalks. He said he sees “everything and anything” in the gutters and hopes he doesn’t get sick.

She introduced herself to a few others and asked if they had any health issues that needed checking. When she saw Millar, Farmand checked her blood pressure, asked about her asthma and urged her to come see a doctor for treatment of her hepatitis C, a viral infection spread through contaminated blood that can lead to serious liver damage.

“To get these people to come into a clinic is a big thing,” she said. “A lot of them are distrustful of the health care system.”

On another day, 53-year-old Karen Mitchell waited to get treated for a persistent cough by St. John’s Well Child & Family Center’s mobile health clinic. She also needed a tuberculosis test, as required by the shelter where she was living in Bellflower, Calif.

Mitchell, who said she developed alcoholism after a career in pharmaceutical sales, said she has contracted pneumonia from germs from other shelter residents. “Everyone is always sick, no matter what precautions they take.”

During the hepatitis A outbreak, public health officials administered widespread vaccinations, cleaned the streets with bleach and water and installed hand-washing stations and portable toilets near high concentrations of homeless people.

But health officials and homeless advocates said more needs to be done, including helping people access medical and behavioral health care and affordable housing.

“It really is unconscionable,” said Bobby Watts, CEO of the National Health Care for the Homeless Council, a policy and advocacy organization. “These are all preventable diseases.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/medieval-diseases-flare-as-unsanitary-living-conditions-proliferate/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-digest&utm_content=link&utm_term=2019-03-15_top-stories&spMailingID=58744404&spUserID=ODgxNTYyMzEyMjkS1&spJobID=1602002437&spReportId=MTYwMjAwMjQzNwS2

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
AOC's done a really good job in her public outings.
« Reply #12125 on: March 16, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »
Much better to suck off the centurions of the status quo. Let's never do anything, but clutch pearls and wring hands
I'm not advocating for that either, but the inertia is so immense, the problem so multi-dimensional, that whatever explanation of the Situation you provide has to be unassailable TEFLON. Whatever you'll do will have to be done steadfastly with historically unheard of resolve.
Gimmicks are prone to backfiring.

Then where to start? Young people, whose lives are in line to be trashed, have tried this gimmick to get the attention of term elders, who nod, smile, and get back to the Godswork of making their quarter.

I completely agree that the inertia is immense, and the forces of greed so richly and deeply arrayed as to make the effort seem futile. Which is right where they want ordinary people. throwing up our hands, sighing, and saying "what's the use?"

I wonder what "explanation of the cause" of anthropogenic climate change" could be made to your satisfaction?

What do you mean "you wonder" ?  You're on the Doomstead Diner for crying out loud !
You know damn well the climate change issue isn't one to be looked at in isolation.
You either give a proper assessment of the WHOLE BIG PICTURE to show you're TRULY COMPETENT ... or you PROVE that you're not by throwing a grab bag of progressive policies and throw them under the umbrella of a half assed Green New Deal  ...

If we wait for that, we might as well go full trump. As it is, the debate seems to be, "here we dead in ten years or 100 years?"

Perhaps the "Green New Deal" is half-assed. At least it's a start. All you get from republicans (and the corpadems who love their donors) is some variant of "drill baby, drill."

but Ocasio-Cortez majored in international relations and economics at Boston University, graduating cum laude in 2011.

I've been reading about energy, economics and finance for over 13 years non stop now, and the time has long passed that such a resume would actually impress me.
The truth is, a science and economics background should now be mandatory qualifications for any government leadership position in all advanced countries. The system is to complex now for overly ambitious lawyers, economist and 'social scientists' to have a go at demonstrating what 'Silo Thinking' can do for us...

You are taking my comment out of context. Citing AOC's credentials was not meant to impress you, but merely to reply to the fuckwit who described her as a "twit." If you have followed her work this far in the House, she's done a really good job in her public outings. Especially for a rookie. I was much impressed with how she spent her five minutes during the House Oversight Committee hearing. I think she will represent her district, and her generation , pretty well. Expect the republicans to richly fund Joe Crowley or some other opponent to get her removed in the next election. She poses far too much of a threat to the status quo, just by mentioning certain policy issues that were never to be spoken of publicly, lest we proles get our hopes up.

Well said, Surly. I admire your patience.

I briefly looked at this thread and my BS meter pegged the needle to the right (pun in tented  ;)) when I noticed the continual pejorative front door (and back door) sniping at the Green New Deal in general, and AOC in particular, from this fine fellow you are patiently debating.

The bottom line for EVERYONE that posts on this forum should be, but rarely is, that NONE of us here will have BEANS to do with shaping the future of humanity, PERIOD.

I am pretty sick of reading hand wringing CRAP from closet (or open) status quo defenders about how ANY attempts at transitioning to a 100% Renewable Energy, decentralized, non-exportable green jobs type economy that cleans up the environment, and consequently improves the the health of we critters that live off the environment, are "not enough", so let's just "DO NOTHING", EXCEPT, OF COURSE, BAD MOUTH anyone like AOC that claims there ARE REAL WORLD SOLUTIONS (THAT DOOM THE FOSSIL FUEL "Industry"). 

The people out there on the (possibly, but not guaranteed) planet saver=social justice side like AOC, Greta Thunberg, etc. et al DAILY struggling against the "people " on the GUARANTEED planet killer side like Mitch McConnel, Rex Tillerson, Koch Brothers, Trump, etc. et al ARE the ONLY HOPE we have, PERIOD.

The POLLUTING INDUSTRY SUPPORTING people should be constantly exposed for their treachery and empathy deficit disordered immoral, biosphere exploiting world view.

Ridiculing those like AOC that propose REAL WORLD SOLUTIONS, which include taking the polluters to the bankuptcy woodshed, is not rational.

Praising the efforts of AOC, Greta Thunberg, etc. et al IS rational.

GO GET EM', AOC, Greta Thunberg and RATIONAL FRIENDS all over the planet!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W5iHuSFJIEI&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W5iHuSFJIEI&fs=1</a>

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:54:50 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12126 on: March 16, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
Quote from: AG
Well said, Surly. I admire your patience.

I briefly looked at this thread and my BS meter pegged the needle to the right (pun in tented  ;)) when I noticed the continual pejorative front door (and back door) sniping at the Green New Deal in general, and AOC in particular, from this fine fellow you are patiently debating.

Deep, cleansing breaths, AG.

No sense arming the nukes until one has to. A lot of nuance is lost in text and idiosyncratic expression, anyhow. Sometimes we read and interpret things by what we bring to the party, rather than what is intended. Always good to clarify.
I tend to reserve the hard jabs and hooks for those who have demonstrated they deserve it. As you have seen.

There's a difference between clarifying someone's POV and laying down napalm. I'm sure I'm not competent to parse the in-and-outs of the Green New Deal, and I am sure it's half a loaf. But politics is the art of half a loaf. I consider the GND to be at very least a marker laid to signify an alternative approach to "drill baby, drill." Will it bend the warming graph? Not likely. Will anything? Not likely, from what I understand.
For now, that works for me. Anything else is nihilism.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: "Medieval" Diseases Flare as Unsanitary Living Conditions Proliferate
« Reply #12127 on: March 16, 2019, 02:09:32 PM »
Typhus and other infectious illnesses hit homeless communities

Jennifer Millar keeps trash bags and hand sanitizer near her tent, and she regularly pours water mixed with hydrogen peroxide on the sidewalk nearby. Keeping herself and the patch of concrete she calls home clean is a top priority.

But this homeless encampment off a Hollywood freeway ramp is often littered with needles and trash, and soaked in urine. Rats occasionally scamper through, and Millar fears the consequences.

This is a direct consequence of income inequality, and as the man says at the end of the article, these are all easily preventable.
When I finished reading, I thought of this old cartoon:

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #12128 on: March 17, 2019, 01:17:32 AM »
Candidate Booker is workin' the bong brigade for his run in '20  :icon_mrgreen:

Opposed: private prison owners, contractors of prison slave labor, bobblehead-nodding far-right evangelicals and police unions.
For: everyone else.
You missed big pharma; they want a monopoly on CBD at $30000+ a dose.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12129 on: March 17, 2019, 02:29:38 AM »
Candidate Booker is workin' the bong brigade for his run in '20  :icon_mrgreen:

Opposed: private prison owners, contractors of prison slave labor, bobblehead-nodding far-right evangelicals and police unions.
For: everyone else.
You missed big pharma; they want a monopoly on CBD at $30000+ a dose.

Quite correct; an oversight.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Oil spill still leaking into the Gulf of Mexico 15 years later
« Reply #12130 on: March 17, 2019, 04:21:37 AM »

Port Eads, La. — In 2004, Hurricane Ivan plowed across the Gulf of Mexico and triggered an oil spill that is still leaking. It's the longest continuous oil spill in American history.

Captain Rick Jiannuzzi took CBS News to where the Taylor oil rig once stood.

"Wherever it looks smooth, that's all the sheen," he said.

From the air, that sheen is visible for miles and you can even see it from space. Fifteen miles out, you can also smell it.

In 2004, Hurricane Ivan destroyed the MC20 oil platform operated by Taylor Energy. The company has spent over $400 million working alongside the U.S. Coast Guard to contain and clean up the spill which Taylor estimates has been leaking at a rate of about ten gallons a day for years.

But Florida State oceanographer and oil spill expert Ian MacDonald, who has studied the site for the government using underwater technology, thinks the leak is closer to 96 barrels a day. MacDonald convinced the Coast Guard that more oil is leaking than previously thought.

"We're talking about coming up on half a million barrels of oil," he said. "What's happening now is the Coast Guard and the government is saying wait a minute, we're going to take charge because we think that you're underestimating the amount of oil."

In a statement to CBS News, the company said, "Taylor Energy is raising the alarm about the junk science the Coast Guard is now using to justify activities that could destabilize the site."

The Coast Guard is now working with a private contractor to cap the well and will demand Taylor Energy pay the bill. But the fight over the spill has moved from the Gulf to a courtroom because Taylor has pursued legal action to block the containment.

Until the leak is stopped and the courtroom battle ends, we won't know how the spill will affect the marshlands or the fish and wildlife.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/taylor-energy-oil-spill-gulf-of-mexico-15-years-later-2019-03-15/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Facebook says it removed 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand mosque attack
« Reply #12131 on: March 17, 2019, 04:25:10 AM »
(Reuters) - Facebook Inc said it removed 1.5 million videos globally of the New Zealand mosque attack in the first 24 hours after the attack.

"In the first 24 hours we removed 1.5 million videos of the attack globally, of which over 1.2 million were blocked at upload...," Facebook said in a tweet bit.ly/2HDJtPM late Saturday.

The company said it is also removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content out of respect for the people affected by the mosque shooting and the concerns of local authorities.

The death toll in the New Zealand mosque shootings rose to 50 on Sunday. The gunman who attacked two mosques on Friday live-streamed the attacks on Facebook for 17 minutes using an app designed for extreme sports enthusiasts, with copies still being shared on social media hours later.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said she wants to discuss live streaming with Facebook.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-shootout-facebook-video/facebook-says-it-removed-1-5-million-videos-of-the-new-zealand-mosque-attack-idUSKCN1QY05X?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source=reddit.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Zimbabwe death toll rises to 64 after Cyclone Idai pounds country
« Reply #12132 on: March 17, 2019, 12:13:16 PM »
 HARARE (Reuters) - Cyclone Idai has killed at least 64 people in eastern Zimbabwe and destroyed homes, bridges and roads, making rescue efforts difficult, a government minister said on Sunday.

The tropical storm has already pounded neighbouring Malawi and Mozambique. The latter has cut electricity exports to South Africa, which led to rolling blackouts in Africa's most industrialised economy. [nL8N21307G]

"The death toll has risen from 31 to over 64 now. Some of the bodies have been found floating along the rivers," July Moyo, the local government minister told reporters.

"There are a number of people who are missing."

The government has declared a state of disaster in the eastern Chimanimani district, which borders Mozambique, allowing authorities to release funds to assist affected families.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who faced criticism from citizens and the opposition for travelling to the United Arab Emirates on Saturday, said he was cutting his trip short to make sure he was "involved directly with the national response."

Joshua Sacco, a member of parliament in Chimanimani, told Reuters by phone he had "never seen such kind of destruction before", adding that rescuers were struggling to reach those affected.

The ministry of information said access to the rescue operations was slowed by damaged infrastructure, including power and communication. Air force helicopters began carrying injured people to hospitals after the weather improved later on Sunday.

Some citizens started crowdfunding on Twitter to help those affected while the government sought assistance from individuals, private companies and international aid agencies.

Pictures shared on Twitter and television footage showed the extent of the damage, with rock falls and mudslides blocking roads and some houses submerged in water.

The storm is the worst to hit the country since Cyclone Eline in February 2000, which devastated eastern and southern Zimbabwe.

The country has faced a severe drought this year that has damaged crops. A United Nations humanitarian agency says 5.3 million people will require food aid.

https://flipboard.com/topic/middleeast/zimbabwe-death-toll-rises-to-64-after-cyclone-idai-pounds-country/a-pjWqzo_rRbWx8ih7YyHudg%3Aa%3A57565339-23f0a86881%2Freuters.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

The US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit upheld a district court decision Wednesday where a plaintiff sued a Michigan police officer for upgrading her traffic violation to a more serious speeding violation after she raised her middle finger at the cop.

A suburban Detroit police officer pulled over the plaintiff for speeding and issued her a non-moving violation. After she drove off, she flipped officer Minard off and the officer proceeded to stop her again less than 100 yards from the initial stop to upgrade her ticket to a more serious moving violation.

The plaintiff claimed that this was a violation of her Constitutional Fourth and First Amendment rights. Minard violated her right against unreasonable seizure when she was stopped a second time without probable cause. Extending her middle finger at the officer was also not a violation of any law and stopping her a second time to upgrade her ticket was an action to deter her from exercising her First Amendment rights to free speech and expression.

The officer moved for judgment based on qualified immunity, but the court found that his actions were a clear violation of the plaintiff’s constitutional rights.

https://www.jurist.org/news/2019/03/federal-appeals-court-holds-flipping-off-a-police-officer-is-protected-by-the-first-amendment/

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog

The US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit upheld a district court decision Wednesday where a plaintiff sued a Michigan police officer for upgrading her traffic violation to a more serious speeding violation after she raised her middle finger at the cop.

A suburban Detroit police officer pulled over the plaintiff for speeding and issued her a non-moving violation. After she drove off, she flipped officer Minard off and the officer proceeded to stop her again less than 100 yards from the initial stop to upgrade her ticket to a more serious moving violation.

The plaintiff claimed that this was a violation of her Constitutional Fourth and First Amendment rights. Minard violated her right against unreasonable seizure when she was stopped a second time without probable cause. Extending her middle finger at the officer was also not a violation of any law and stopping her a second time to upgrade her ticket was an action to deter her from exercising her First Amendment rights to free speech and expression.

The officer moved for judgment based on qualified immunity, but the court found that his actions were a clear violation of the plaintiff’s constitutional rights.

https://www.jurist.org/news/2019/03/federal-appeals-court-holds-flipping-off-a-police-officer-is-protected-by-the-first-amendment/

Should have written the bitch up for reckless driving and charged her $750 or a day in court explaining how paying attention to the officer enough to give him the finger jived with paying attention to the road and existing conditions.  Fool wrote her up for the wrong thing is the only thing that was wrong here and it should have been thrown out of court yes.

Reading it again I guess he may have done that.  In which case it is f---ed up that she could sue him.  And he could have kept it in his pants though it is understandable that he did not.  That  finger would have had to hand a card through a window or write a check for a hundred and a half or whatever the ticket was for.  Instead she turned it around and got paid.  Very bitchie.  I hope she does not run anybody over.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:04:22 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.