AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1437130 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
By a variety of measures, Americans are more religious than Europeans. According to a Pew Research Center study published in September 2018, even though the majority of people on the both sides of the Atlantic consider themselves religious, there are significant differences between Europeans and Americans.

For instance, nearly 70 percent of American Christians pray daily, and only 18 percent of self-described Christians in Europe say that they pray every single day.

Countless studies investigating the religiosity across demographic groups in both the United States and Europe have been published over the years, but only a few have probed the relationship between religiosity and morality.

As Professor Jim Davies of Carleton University wrote in The Conversation, research has suggested that cultural and genetic components influence morality — at least to an extent, according to Davies, this equation applies to non-believers as well, given that a society’s sense of morality is at least somewhat influenced by religion.

Investigating the link between religiosity and morality are two new studies conducted by Sarah J. Ward, a postdoctoral research scholar at Columbia Business School, and Professor Laura A. King.

For a study (“Moral stereotypes, moral self-image, and religiosity”) published in Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, the researchers conducted three surveys of 1,667 participants in an effort to investigate how religiosity and moral stereotyping influences moral self-image.

Ward and her team of researchers established that religious people tend to consider their religious group more superior to others, finding that “the association between religiosity and moral self-image was partially explained by impression management and perceptions of the morality of one’s religious ingroup.”

As Ward explained in statements supplied to PsyPost, religious people tend to believe that they share characteristics with members of their religious group, which they view as moral. This is why the perceived morality of a religious group can “rub off” on its members, according to the researchers.

For a related study (“Moral self-regulation, moral identity, and religiosity”) published in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Ward recruited 992 individuals to investigate how religious and non-religious people respond to having their moral-self image threatened.

Compared to atheists and non-believers, according to the study, religious individuals are more likely to compensate for “past transgression.” Their motivations appear to be largely egoistic, however.

“Indeed, the highly contextualized nature of religious prosociality suggests that the motivations underlying religious people’s sense of morality may be more in service of egoistic concerns.”

“People may pursue moral identity (or religion) for self-enhancing motivations, such as feeling that one is morally superior to others or displaying one’s prosociality publicly in hopes of social acclaim,” Ward said.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5444066/religiosity-morality-religious-people/
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Have you ever come across someone who possesses an impressive quality of inner cohesion? The kind that made you want to be around them for longer than you had intended to. Their crawling energy and the healing impact on your soul made you wonder ‘who is this person’, ‘what do they do’, ‘how do I become more like them’?

These are the kind of wise hearts that give many close and far the breath of life every day. These are the kind of wise hearts I aspire my heart to become a future leader...

Wisdom is the sixth quality of eight core human attributes we found in our research with Stanford University’s CCARE 21st century leaders should possess on their path to developing resilience and leading organizations of adaptability.

We live in a society that encourages us to think about how to have a great career but leaves us inarticulate about how to cultivate the inner life. The road to success is definitively paved through competition and so fiercely that it becomes all-consuming for many of us. It is commonly accepted today that information is the key source of all being; yet, information alone doesn’t laver one with knowledge as knowledge alone doesn’t lead to righteous action. In the age of artificial information, we need to consider beyond data to drive purposeful progression and authentic illuminations.

Wisdom in the context of leadership refers to our quality of having good, sound judgment. It is a source that provides light into our own insight and introduces a new appreciation for the world around us. It helps us recognize that others are more than our limiting impressions of them. It fills us with confidence that we are connected and better capable than we could ever dream of.

The people with this quality tends to lead from a place of strong internal cohesion. They have overcome fragmentation to reach a level of integration, which supports the way they show up – tranquil, settled and rooted. These people tend to withstand the hard winds of volatility and not easily crumble in the face of adversity. They ground their thoughts, emotions and behaviors in values that feed their self-efficacy and they heartfully understand perfectionism is an unattainable goal. There is an important distinction I must make: The kind of self-efficacy we mention here is complementary to psychological view and supports the kind of culture that says “Nobody is better than me and I am not better than anyone” in contrast to the popular definition of self-efficacy and self-esteem we have adopted over the years, which is more closely related to self-promotion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sesilpir/2019/05/19/morality-in-the-age-of-artificial-intelligence-why-do-we-need-wisdom-to-lead-in-the-future/#662771e71458
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Have you ever come across someone who possesses an impressive quality of inner cohesion? The kind that made you want to be around them for longer than you had intended to. Their crawling energy and the healing impact on your soul made you wonder ‘who is this person’, ‘what do they do’, ‘how do I become more like them’?

These are the kind of wise hearts that give many close and far the breath of life every day. These are the kind of wise hearts I aspire my heart to become a future leader...

Wisdom is the sixth quality of eight core human attributes we found in our research with Stanford University’s CCARE 21st century leaders should possess on their path to developing resilience and leading organizations of adaptability.

We live in a society that encourages us to think about how to have a great career but leaves us inarticulate about how to cultivate the inner life. The road to success is definitively paved through competition and so fiercely that it becomes all-consuming for many of us. It is commonly accepted today that information is the key source of all being; yet, information alone doesn’t laver one with knowledge as knowledge alone doesn’t lead to righteous action. In the age of artificial information, we need to consider beyond data to drive purposeful progression and authentic illuminations.

Wisdom in the context of leadership refers to our quality of having good, sound judgment. It is a source that provides light into our own insight and introduces a new appreciation for the world around us. It helps us recognize that others are more than our limiting impressions of them. It fills us with confidence that we are connected and better capable than we could ever dream of.

The people with this quality tends to lead from a place of strong internal cohesion. They have overcome fragmentation to reach a level of integration, which supports the way they show up – tranquil, settled and rooted. These people tend to withstand the hard winds of volatility and not easily crumble in the face of adversity. They ground their thoughts, emotions and behaviors in values that feed their self-efficacy and they heartfully understand perfectionism is an unattainable goal. There is an important distinction I must make: The kind of self-efficacy we mention here is complementary to psychological view and supports the kind of culture that says “Nobody is better than me and I am not better than anyone” in contrast to the popular definition of self-efficacy and self-esteem we have adopted over the years, which is more closely related to self-promotion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sesilpir/2019/05/19/morality-in-the-age-of-artificial-intelligence-why-do-we-need-wisdom-to-lead-in-the-future/#662771e71458

Good read  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
By a variety of measures, Americans are more religious than Europeans. According to a Pew Research Center study published in September 2018, even though the majority of people on the both sides of the Atlantic consider themselves religious, there are significant differences between Europeans and Americans.

For instance, nearly 70 percent of American Christians pray daily, and only 18 percent of self-described Christians in Europe say that they pray every single day.

Countless studies investigating the religiosity across demographic groups in both the United States and Europe have been published over the years, but only a few have probed the relationship between religiosity and morality.

As Professor Jim Davies of Carleton University wrote in The Conversation, research has suggested that cultural and genetic components influence morality — at least to an extent, according to Davies, this equation applies to non-believers as well, given that a society’s sense of morality is at least somewhat influenced by religion.

Investigating the link between religiosity and morality are two new studies conducted by Sarah J. Ward, a postdoctoral research scholar at Columbia Business School, and Professor Laura A. King.

For a study (“Moral stereotypes, moral self-image, and religiosity”) published in Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, the researchers conducted three surveys of 1,667 participants in an effort to investigate how religiosity and moral stereotyping influences moral self-image.

Ward and her team of researchers established that religious people tend to consider their religious group more superior to others, finding that “the association between religiosity and moral self-image was partially explained by impression management and perceptions of the morality of one’s religious ingroup.”

As Ward explained in statements supplied to PsyPost, religious people tend to believe that they share characteristics with members of their religious group, which they view as moral. This is why the perceived morality of a religious group can “rub off” on its members, according to the researchers.

For a related study (“Moral self-regulation, moral identity, and religiosity”) published in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Ward recruited 992 individuals to investigate how religious and non-religious people respond to having their moral-self image threatened.

Compared to atheists and non-believers, according to the study, religious individuals are more likely to compensate for “past transgression.” Their motivations appear to be largely egoistic, however.

“Indeed, the highly contextualized nature of religious prosociality suggests that the motivations underlying religious people’s sense of morality may be more in service of egoistic concerns.”

“People may pursue moral identity (or religion) for self-enhancing motivations, such as feeling that one is morally superior to others or displaying one’s prosociality publicly in hopes of social acclaim,” Ward said.

American's more religious because they supposedly pray more?  That is ridiculous.  Consider the average American prayer; "lord, please help me and mine achieve and acquire and heal this and that...and I swear I'll never choke the chicken or nanny again.  I swear I'll stop gambling and drinking if you can only do xyz for me."  Surly you gest with this nonsense. 

Americans are only more pseudoeverythingelse and better at the fakessudoness as well.  Sue sue pseudio as the english drummer put it in the 80's.

Furthermore, it's obvious that the overwhelming mess man has created since our inception has revolved around religion to being with.  Of cousre Siddhartha Gautama put an end to that...as you well know.  He broke the wheel of suffering.  But to do that requires breaking the self.  That's the very thing that communicates it's own religiosity, and argues how much more religious it is.  The statement "I'm more religious than you" is already a parady of religiosity.  Which itself is already less of what it purports to be. 

The most "religious" of man are mostly hiding from man.  Hiding in caves and obscure monasteries where the lack of ego if of primary concern.  Then they find the cave dwelling monks and write books about them. 

The truth cannot be met by words.  Words are concepts of the human mind.  Words break apart the suchness of what is.  The pigeon hole and corrupt.  But they are all that we have to cummincate with one another in this virtual space.  They are all that we have to slice up reality amongst ourselves. 

The concept of more religious is ridiculous to me.  You may as well argue about who is the better footballer. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile

American's more religious because they supposedly pray more?  That is ridiculous.  Consider the average American prayer; "lord, please help me and mine achieve and acquire and heal this and that...and I swear I'll never choke the chicken or nanny again.  I swear I'll stop gambling and drinking if you can only do xyz for me."

The face of Amerikan Religion.

Jeezus wants you to be RICH! 🤑

Go to law school, thump the Bible and specialize in bankruptcy law.  That'll do it. You're on your way to Heaven sitting at the table with the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner

Ya think?

So many of these "prosperity gospel" Christians are about being seen as highly visible Christians; they certainly don't live own accordance with the teachings of Jesus, as we have come to know them (See: immigrants [Samaritans]).

I tend to agree with LD that real spirituality is found in caves, monasteries, where hermits live, and away from ego display.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Tennessee Pastor Who Raped Daughter, 14, Gets Light Sentence Because Jesus
« Reply #12771 on: May 20, 2019, 05:12:53 AM »
Perhaps this should be posted under "Who They Are," but it seemed relevant to this thread.

Tennessee Pastor Who Repeatedly Raped Daughter, 14, Gets Light Sentence Because Jesus

MAY 13, 2019 BY

Nothing says “good Christian man” like rape and incest: Tennessee Pastor David Richards received a light sentence after being convicted of repeatedly raping his 14-year-old daughter.

In a despicable miscarriage of justice, Judge Steven Sword sentenced Pastor Richardsto only 12 years in prison for repeatedly raping his 14-year-old daughter over the course of several years. In court, prosecutors argued the severity and heinous nature of the crimes deserved a minimum of 72 years in prison, but Judge Steven Sword felt otherwise.

Judge Sword, showing sympathy and empathy for the rapist, while minimizing the human suffering caused by Pastor Richards, cited the “good work” the rapist and incestuous pedophile had done in the community in an attempt to justify the light sentence.

During sentencing, Judge Sword praised Pastor Richards’ longtime ministry and the support he still receives from his congregation as mitigating factors. Judge Sword also praised Pastor Richards for leading a Bible study while incarcerated.

Earlier this year a jury found Pastor Richards guilty on nine felony counts, including rape, incest and sexual battery by an authority figure.

According to the Knoxville News Sentinel, the Tennessee pastor raped and sexually abused his daughter Amber Richards for two years beginning when she was 14.

Amber Richards gave a moving victim statement Thursday, saying:

I wanted to throw my body away. Not a day goes by that I don’t, in some way, think of what he did to me.

Richards continued:

I firmly believe if given the opportunity, he would victimize another girl.

However, despite the overwhelming evidence, including forensic evidence showing traces of Richards’ semen on his daughter’s bed frame, many in the community refused to believe that Pastor Richards was a rapist.

For example, Pastor David Thompson, who shared ministry duties with Pastor Richards at My Father’s House Church of God in Lenoir City, said:

I find it impossible for me to believe he’s guilty of this. His business needs him. His family needs him. Our church needs him.

In fact, over 30 parishioners from the church came to court to show support not for the victim, but for the rapist.

At sentencing, Pastor Richards refused to take responsibility for his heinous crimes. Instead, the “good Christian man” blamed the victim while claiming he was innocent. Pastor Richards said:

I stand before you convicted of crimes I did not commit. … I’m not sure why I’m here. … but I assume it’s for His purpose.

Bottom line: Tennessee Pastor David Richards was supposed to get 72 years in prison after being found guilty of repeatedly raping his 14-year-old daughter, but instead he received only 12 years because Judge Steven Sword admired the good works of this “good Christian man.”

Pastor Who Repeatedly Raped Daughter, 14, Gets Light Sentence Because Jesus (Image via Twitter)
Pastor Who Repeatedly Raped Daughter, 14, Gets Light Sentence Because Jesus (Image via Twitter)
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Atlanta — A billionaire technology investor and philanthropist says his family is providing grants to wipe out the student debt of the entire 2019 class at Morehouse College.

Robert F. Smith made the announcement Sunday morning in front of nearly 400 graduating seniors, eliciting the biggest cheers of the morning.

"My family is going to create a grant to eliminate your student loans," Smith said, according to a tweet from the school.

Morehouse College is an all-male historically black college located in Atlanta. Smith is the founder and CEO of Vista Equity Partners, a private equity firm that invests in software, data, and technology-driven companies.

A Morehouse College representative told CBS News that the total amount Smith is pledging to donate is $40 million. The total debt the students have is still being calculated.

During his commencement speech, Smith referenced Martin Luther King Jr. and spoke of a 21st century tech-based economy being a "Fourth Industrial Revolution."

"When Dr. King said that the 'arc of the moral universe bends toward justice," he wasn't saying it bends on its own accord. It bends because we choose to put our shoulders into it together and push," Smith said. "Technology is creating a whole new set of on ramps to the 21st century economy, and together we well help assure that African Americans will acquire the tech skills and be the beneficiaries in sectors that are being automated."

Smith received an honorary doctorate from Morehouse during the ceremony. He had already announced a $1.5 million gift to the school.

Robert F. Smith, left, laughs with David Thomas, center, and actress Angela Bassett at Morehouse College on Sun., May 19, 2019, in Atlanta.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-f-smith-morehouse-college-commencement-speaker-says-hell-pay-off-class-of-2019s-student-loan-debt/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
VA Home Loan Secretly Ripped Off Veterans By $150 Million
« Reply #12773 on: May 20, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
For the past five years, the VA Home Loan program has knowingly withheld $150 million in refunds for certain disabled veterans.

A special investigation by my friends at Kare 11 exposed an internal report leaked by whistleblowers at St. Paul Regional Office. That report shows VA conducted its own audit five years ago concluding the agency was wrongfully withholding $150 million from certain veterans.

The crux of the problem lies with the VA funding fee charged to borrowers, usually a few thousand dollars per loan. Sometimes the loan is waived based on a veteran’s disability rating. Here, veterans whose disability claim is pending when the loan fee is billed should receive a refund if the date of entitlement is before the loan’s closing date.

However, VA has known that since at least 2014, the agency failed to make required changes.

Here is how the VA report starts out:

The St. Paul Regional Loan Center has discovered that in the last 8 years, Veterans have been paying funding fee charges when they were exempt from the Funding Fee. This report details the circumstances surrounding what caused this to happen, suggests options to ensure this does not happen in the future. As this is going to be a large undertaking we have also provided several options to return the money to affected Veterans.

The fees associated with these loans is well over $1 billion annually.
VA Home Loan Fix

The report concludes with a solution:

We estimate that Funding Fee refunds initiated by lenders currently take approximately 20 minutes to process. Extrapolating that number over the 47,588 anticipated refunds gives us an estimated 951, 160 minutes, or nearly 16,000 hours to complete. This would be approximately 8 full time employees (FTE) for 1 year. We believe that timeframe could be cut in half if a dedicated staff is utilized and they are allowed to apply all refunds to loans that are current.

So, to recap, VA has known about the problem since 2014. Almost six years have passed since the issue was brought to the attention of senior leadership. Yet, nothing.

Just prior to publication, Kare 11 received word from VA that the agency intends to act on the report. I can assure you any failure of the agency to address this VA Home Loan scandal coming into the election will not look good for the Trump Administration.
VA To Fix Funding VA Issue

VA’s Curt Cashour issued a press release with the following excerpt:

“A major issue under review is how VA credits borrowers who, after loan closing, were awarded disability compensation with retroactive effective dates. The department is working to determine how far VA can go to provide relief, given the current restrictions of applicable laws.

“VA’s ongoing quality review looked at millions of loans dating back to 1998 originations. Since the initiative is ongoing, VA has not totaled how many borrowers might be helped by the new efforts.”

Who was responsible for initially sitting on the report without taking action?

Kare 11 points the finger at Mike Frueh, then Director of the VA Home Loan program. What happened to Frueh since 2014?

He was promoted to VBA Chief of Staff.

Surprised?

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2019/05/20/va-home-loan-secretly-ripped-off-veterans-by-150-million/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Great white shark spotted in Long Island Sound for first time ever
« Reply #12774 on: May 20, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
 A sub-adult great white shark measuring nearly 10 feet long has been tracked in Long Island Sound off the Connecticut shore for the first time ever, marine researchers said on Monday.

The great white was being tracked Monday by the ocean research group Ocearch, which has been tracking the shark since last year, Chris Fischer, founder of the research group, told ABC News.

"Be advised! For the first time ever, we are tracking a white shark in the Long Island Sound," Ocearch researchers tweeted Monday

OCEARCH
‏Verified account @OCEARCH

Be advised! For the first time ever, we are tracking a white shark in the Long Island Sound. 9’ 8” @GWSharkCabot is just off the shore near Greenwich. Follow him using the browser on any device at http://www.ocearch.org

Fischer said the shark measures 9-feet 8-inches and was spotted off the shore of Greenwich, Connecticut.

"He was right up on the beach, very close," Fischer told ABC News.

He said his group first spotted the great white in Nova Scotia last fall, where he was pulled from the water, tagged with a tracking device and released back into the wild. He said his research team named the shark Cabot after the Italian navigator John Cabot, who explored North America in 1497 under the commission of Henry VII of England.

"To see him that deep into the Sound I think that that is a fantastic sign for the region and really interesting development for us because we just haven't seen them that deep into the Sound previously," Fischer said.

He said the presence of the shark in Long Island Sound indicates an abundance of sea life in the area for the predator to feed on.

"I think it's a really great sign for the Sound because these white sharks only go where there's an abundant amount of life, where the water is in pretty good shape," Fischer said. "That's a real positive sign for the Sound there."

He said that previously his group has only spotted a baby white shark just outside the mouth of Long Island Sound, just north of Montauk.

Since Ocearch has been tracking the Cabot, the great white has traveled all the way to Florida.

"Now he's making his way back north, probably back to the Nova Scotia region," Fischer said. "Something got his attention and brought him into the Sound to have a look."

He said he didn't believe there was any imminent danger for swimmers in the area, but cautioned that people should "demonstrate common sense" before going into the water.

Fischer said he suspects Cabot is just making a pit stop to feed on what is in the area, before heading back out to deep water and continuing north.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/great-white-shark-spotted-long-island-sound-time/story?id=63157568

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
U.S. Supreme Court sides with Native American elk hunter
« Reply #12775 on: May 20, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Monday ruled in favor of a Native American elk hunter, citing an 1868 treaty between his tribe and the U.S. government as it revived his legal challenge to a conviction for hunting out of season in Bighorn National Forest in Wyoming.

In a 5-4 ruling, the high court sided with Crow Tribe member Clayvin Herrera. It found that the treaty, which gave tribe members hunting rights on “unoccupied” lands, is still in force even though it was signed before Wyoming became a U.S. state in 1890.

Conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch, who has a record of backing tribal rights, sided with the court’s four liberals, with the other four conservative justices in dissent. The same lineup voted in favor of tribal rights in a previous case this term, ruling that members of the Yakima Nation did not have to pay taxes for importing fuel into Washington state.

Monday’s ruling does not immediately void Herrera’s conviction because the state can still argue that the Bighorn National Forest location where he and others hunted bull elk in 2014 is not “unoccupied,” meaning he would not have been able to legally hunt there.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, writing for the court, said treaty rights do not automatically disappear when a territory becomes a state. Sotomayor cited historical evidence that the Crow Tribe made a high priority of hunting rights during its treaty negotiations with the government.

“Yet despite the apparent importance of the hunting right to the negotiations, Wyoming points to no evidence that federal negotiators ever proposed that the right would end at statehood,” Sotomayor wrote. “This silence is especially telling.”

Herrera, who is from Montana, was charged with hunting elk off-season or without a state hunting license. He was convicted and received a suspended prison sentence, a fine and a three-year hunting ban. An intermediate Wyoming appeals court upheld the conviction in 2017 and the state’s Supreme Court left that ruling in place.

“We are gratified that the Supreme Court held that the treaty hunting right guaranteed to the Crow Tribe and Mr. Herrera was not abrogated by Wyoming’s admission to the union or the creation of the Bighorn National Forest,” Herrera’s lawyer, George Hicks, said in a statement.

It marked the court’s second ruling in favor of a hunter in the past two months. The court ruled in March that the federal government could not prevent an Alaskan man from riding his hovercraft on a river through territory overseen by the National Park Service to reach remote moose-hunting grounds in the northernmost U.S. state.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-hunter/us-supreme-court-sides-with-native-american-elk-hunter-idUSKCN1SQ1RN?utm_source=reddit.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Preliminary testing on one of packets using a drug detection kit revealed that it would be containing narcotics substance that would be valued anywhere between Rs 400-500 crore.

In an anti-smuggling operation, the Indian Coast Guard seized a drug-laden Pakistani vessel “Al Madina” off the Jakhau coast in Gujarat, official sources said Tuesday. A total of 194 packets, suspected to be containing Rs 500 crore worth of narcotics, were seized.

Advertising

Acting on intelligence input that a Pakistani fishing boat was waiting near International Maritime Boundary Line to deliver narcotics off Jakhau coast, the Indian Coast Guard dispatched a ship and two fast interceptor boats to apprehend the suspected vessel, said an official statement.

The Coast Guard chased the Pakistani boat and succeeded in boarding it despite rough sea conditions. Meanwhile, the crew of the vessel flung the bags containing the suspicious material into the sea. The boarding party of the Coast Guard ship took the Pakistani crew into custody and managed to retrieve seven bags from water.
Preliminary testing on one of packets using a drug detection kit revealed that it would be containing narcotics substance that would be valued anywhere between Rs 400-500 crore.
The vessel was apprehended following a tip-off by DRI and other intelligence agencies. The seized vessel is being taken to Jakhau or any other Coast Guard station for further investigations. This is the second such seizure on the Gujarat coast in last three months. Earlier in March 2019, 100 kilogram of heroine was seized in a joint operation by Coast Guard and Anti-Terrorist Squad, Ahmedabad.

*Source - International News Platform*

http://www.e-mindful.com/2019/05/drugs-seized-worth-more-than-4-billion.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Vibrator prize for Spanish squash champion spurs sexism debate
« Reply #12777 on: May 21, 2019, 05:13:40 AM »

A squash championship in northern Spain has sparked a debate about sexism in sport after female participants were awarded a vibrator, wax and a kit to remove foot calluses.

The top women players of the Asturias championship wrote to the local squash federation to complain about the incident.

It prompted resignations at the club that organised the event.

Contest winner Elisabet Sadó told the BBC that "things have to change".

Ms Sadó was awarded a trophy and a vibrator for getting the top spot in the competition.

The women in second, third and fourth places won an electronic foot file or hair removal wax.

"We were very surprised, very shocked. We think it's very sexist," Ms Sadó said.

"We wanted to explain it to everybody because we think... there's a lot of discrimination... [against women in sport] and things have to change."

The women sent the prizes to the local squash federation along with a letter of complaint. The federation has helped them to take action.

Maribel Toyos of the squash federation of Asturias (l) and competition winner Elisabet Sadó have criticised the prizes at the competition

Officials at Squash Oviedo, the club that organised the event, have stepped down over the incident, according to the federation.

"I think probably they just wanted to be funny or different," Ms Sadó said of their choice of prizes.

Ms Sadó said she was pleased that the incident had got people across Spain talking about sexism in sport.

"I think the important thing is that there is a public debate and laws in Spain and more protection so women can practise sport," she said.

The BBC has contacted Squash Oviedo for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48348431

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Grass Valley woman arrested after officers discover pipe bombs in her closet
« Reply #12778 on: May 21, 2019, 05:20:05 AM »

Mary Dalton of Grass Valley was arrested Saturday on suspicion of possessing a destructive device after pipe bombs were found in a closet of a home on Lamarque Court.

A woman was arrested Saturday after pipe bombs were found in a Grass Valley home.

Mary Dalton of Grass Valley was arrested on suspicion of possessing a destructive device and was booked into the Nevada County Jail, according to a news release issued by the Grass Valley Police Department.

Around 3:30 p.m. Saturday, police got an anonymous tip regarding bombs being kept in the 400 block of Lamarque Court, according to the release.

Responding officers found the pipe bombs in a closet within the home, according to the release.

Explosive ordinance disposal crews were called in from the Placer County Sheriff’s Office along with a bomb robot, according to the release.

The pipe bombs were later safely destroyed, according to the release. As of Sunday afternoon, Dalton remains in custody.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article230595569.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Wrongfully convicted man to receive $1.5 million after 46 years in prison
« Reply #12779 on: May 21, 2019, 05:24:37 AM »
Detroit — Before becoming America's most unlikely art phenom, Richard Phillips was in prison. In 1971, he was arrested for a murder we now know he didn't commit. To pass the time and temper the injustice, he painted.

"It was something to do, occupy my mind," Phillips said. "I could get off into one of my paintings and just be in there for hours."

That's how it was for 46 years, until he was exonerated last spring. That's more time served than any other exoneree in U.S. history.

After all that, they just let him go, without so much as a bus ticket. Failing him for a second time, until now. One year into his newfound freedom, the state attorney general finally agreed those lost years were worth $1.5 million. Now state legislators just need to approve the money.

Some of Richard Phillips' artwork.

His paintings are now selling for thousands of dollars and it's all because after nearly half a century of wrongful imprisonment. But Phillips said there was no time left for self-pity.

"I'm gonna be alright regardless, whether they compensate me or not," he said.

Which brings us to the most impressive pat of this story: Despite mistreatment after mistreatment, Phillips has actually found a bright side in all this.

"It would be remiss of me to actually want to keep all of this stuff rather than share it with the American public," he said.

A poignant reminder of what he lost, and what he found.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richard-phillips-wrongfully-convicted-man-awarded-1-5-million-after-46-years-in-prison/