AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1350605 times)

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Knarf's Knewz Channel
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
Surly said,
I am deeply grateful to knarf for posting his content up in any form whatsoever.

ME TOO!

If Ka gets carpal tunneling syndrome from scrolling, that's too bad.  ;D People LIKE graphics and articles that do not require link clicking to get the full story. My channel, with over 160,000 views, is evidence of that.    8)

That said, I agree with Ka that long, LONG articles can turn people off  as well as have copyright issues.    I get around that by doing the SNIPPET trick along with different font sizes and colors to emphasize the money quotes as teasers to get the reader interested. It works. :emthup: But that takes work.  ;)

Where I part company with Knarf is in his statement to RE that he does not necessarily agree with a post he publishes but puts it up there to get commentary. I will NEVER post something I disagree with and do not support UNLESS I do so in the context of criticizing it in editorial fashion. 

RE isn't too fond of my penchant for animated smileys and gifs :whip:, but I think a lot of readers like them!

Of course there are various "opinions" out there about my journalistic style.  :icon_mrgreen:
 :argue:  :violent4:   :angry4: :iamwithstupid:  :evil4:   :evil7:  :laughing6:

At any rate, Knarf is bringing more beady bubbles here. I celebrate his efforts!  :emthup:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:59:26 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
Thanx agelbert for the encouragement. By the way i do not think i agree with anything i post totally! HA!  :)
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
I really do not want this to cost more for RE if I post the whole article but I do not know how that works...

It doesn't cost any more to paste the whole article rather than a link or snippet.  Personally I like the full articles so I don't have to go offsite.

In terms of copyright, people paste willy-nilly on forums all the time, I've never heard of anyone caring about that.  On your Blog this can be a problem, but as Surly mentioned anyone we cross post we get explicit permission from them.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Ground: Southeast Louisiana is Disappearing, Quickly
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
This land being swallowed by the Gulf is home to half of the country’s oil refineries, a matrix of pipelines that serve 90 percent of the nation’s offshore energy production and 30 percent of its total oil and gas supply, a port vital to 31 states, and 2 million people who would need to find other places to live.

By 2100 there won't be any oil to refine anyhow.  If they are still fracking up the NG then, they can just extend the pipelines a little further, a few feet of water won't make a difference.

Far as the local residents go, they all should move onto Houseboats.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Can I make a recommendation? That you just give the headlines as a link to the article, maybe plus a comment or the first paragraph or a picture or something, like Surly does, so the readers can select which they want to read. When you paste in the entire articles it takes a long time to scroll down through articles. Also, it makes sure you aren't reprinting without permission, though I'm not sure anyone cares about that anymore.

Would like to second Ka's recommendation.

Personally, I like seeing the entire article in front of me if it is not of novella length.

The Diner is getting rather active however, and a bit of conservation on valuable Diner forum space seems reasonable to me.

When on a laptop, or tablet, the scrolling and loading of page after page can become tedious and quite a chore. On a desktop I find it to be less of a problem.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tepco Says 400-Kg Control Console Fell Into Fukushima Fuel Pool
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »
By Emi Urabe and Peter Langan August 29, 2014

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501) said it’s detected no change in radiation levels in the Fukushima Dai-Ichi No. 3 reactor building after a 400 kilogram piece of equipment slipped from a crane and fell back into a pool holding spent uranium fuel rods.

The accident happened at around 12:45 p.m. today as the company was attempting to move what it described as a crane control console, according to a statement on its website.

The console, which is about a meter wide and 1.6 meters high, was blown into the pool on March 14, 2011, when the No. 3 reactor building exploded following an earthquake and tsunami that wrecked the Fukushima plant.

Today, the utility known as Tepco was attempting to move the device as part of its cleanup at the site, said spokesman Hiroshi Itagaki. No one was injured and no changes to radiation levels have been detected, he said. The crane was being operated by remote control.

Itagaki said the company is unable to say at present whether the accident damaged any of the uranium fuel rods in the pool, but the stable radiation readings indicate otherwise.

Three reactors melted down in the disaster at the Fukushima plant on March 11, 2011. Tepco has started to remove spent fuel assemblies from the pool in the neighboring reactor building No. 4.

found at: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-08-29/tepco-says-400-kg-control-console-fell-into-fukushima-fuel-pool
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Dumbing Down of America – By Design
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
Great article, be sure to check it out!!!!!

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-dumbing-down-of-america-by-design/5395928

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
California plan for water tunnels violates environmental rules, EPA says
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO TO GET WATER!!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/california-plan-water-tunnels-violates-environmental-rules-epa-200351223.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
USDA seizes more than 1,200 illegal giant snails
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
 By MARY CLARE JALONICK
20 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The giant African snail damages buildings, destroys crops and can cause meningitis in humans. But some people still want to collect, and even eat, the slimy invaders.

The Agriculture Department is trying to stop them. Since June, department authorities have seized more than 1,200 live specimens of the large snails, also known as giant African land snails, all of them traced back to one person in Georgia, who was selling them illegally.

The USDA discovered the snails through a tip from social media at the end of June. From that tip, the department seized more than 200 snails from a person on Long Island, New York, who identified the seller in Georgia. The department then interviewed the seller and seized almost 1,000 more snails in Georgia, plus one each in Indiana, Pennsylvania and New York.

Agriculture officials said the investigation was ongoing and they would not identify any of the individuals.

It's important to capture the snails without delay, authorities say, because they multiply so quickly, producing 1,200 or more offspring a year. And the snails, which can grow larger than the size of a fist, have no natural predators in the United States. People are their only threat.

Florida authorities know this all too well. Agriculture officials there are in their third year of trying to eradicate the snails. They were discovered in Miami in September 2011, and they've been found on houses, where they eat plaster and stucco to gain calcium for their shells, and in residential gardens, where they tear through plants.

Mark Fagan, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Agriculture, said the agency so far has found 141,000 snails in 26 areas of Miami-Dade County. Luckily, he said, they have not yet progressed into any of the state's rich agricultural areas. The snails eat 500 types of plants, including most row crops and citrus, so keeping them away is an important investment for the state's $100 billion-a-year farm industry.

Florida first saw the giant snails in the 1960s, when a boy from Miami was believed to have smuggled some of them in from Hawaii. His grandmother eventually released his snails into her garden — starting an infestation that took 10 years to eradicate.

Fagan said state officials don't know how the latest infestation started. But people have different reasons for importing the snails. Sometimes they arrive accidentally in luggage or cargo. The USDA believes most of the snails it has seized this year were being collected by hobbyists who wanted them as pets. They are also used in some African religious practices and even in some cosmetic procedures. And some people consider the snails a food delicacy.

Consumption was the apparent reason for one person's attempt to bring 67 live snails into California in July. U.S. Customs and Border Protection at Los Angeles International Airport intercepted the snails, which were declared by a person from Nigeria, as for human consumption and destined for a location in Corona, California. Customs officers said the person appeared not to know that importation of the live snails into the United States was illegal.

Eating or handling them could be dangerous, government officials said. According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the snails can carry a parasitic worm that can lead to meningitis.

The Agriculture Department said it wants to warn people about the threat. People may not know the live snails are prohibited in the United States, and if those people report that they have them, they won't face any penalties. Those who knowingly import them illegally could face fines.

"The more people who know about giant African snails and know that they are illegal in the United States, the better we are in keeping them out," said Wendolyn Beltz, a director in the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. "If they didn't know and they are reaching out to us to do the right thing, there will be absolutely no penalties for that."

It is legal to import frozen giant African snails for consumption in the U.S., and live snails are legal and available in some parts of Europe, as well as other foreign countries, so people may not be aware of the U.S. ban. The snails seized by the USDA this summer came from Britain, the department said.

Dr. Jim Young, an entomologist at USDA who identifies snails and other species intercepted in international commerce, said the best bet is just to be careful when you are abroad.

"Don't play with snails when you are on vacation," he said.

found at: http://news.yahoo.com/usda-seizes-more-1-200-illegal-giant-snails-041019299.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Russian Hackers Said to Loot Gigabytes of Big Bank Data
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
Thats a lot of DATA!!!!!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-28/russian-hackers-said-to-loot-gigabytes-of-big-bank-data.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Pentagon says Iraq operations costing on average $7.5 million per day
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
That is just the Iraq operations.....we are going broke!

http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-says-iraq-operations-costing-average-7-5-185956689.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Massive Half-Mile-Long Crack Appears in Ground in Northern Mexico
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »
Massive Half-Mile-Long Crack Appears in Ground in Northern Mexico

Last week a video emerged of a giant fissure in the Northern Mexican desert, 3,300 feet long and up to 25 feet deep. Speculation centered at first around an earthquake, but the region is not known for seismic activity. I personally checked out the U.S. Geological Survey earthquake data because the Buena Vista Copper mine (the fourth largest in the world by output) is only about 150 miles north of the enormous crack, and earlier this month they spilled 40,000 cubic meters of sulphuric acid into two rivers during the worst spill in Mexico’s modern mining history. But I found no reports of tremors in the region and authorities were skeptical that this had anything to do with an earthquake.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-MAPOFshM0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6-MAPOFshM0&fs=1</a>

Fast forward to Tuesday, Aug. 26, the Washington Post posted a story with this headline: Why no one should freak out about the giant crack that opened in the Mexico desert. The Post reports:

The chair of the geology department at the University of Sonora, in the northern Mexican state where this “topographic accident” emerged, said that the fissure was likely caused by sucking out groundwater for irrigation to the point the surface collapsed.

“This is no cause for alarm,” Inocente Guadalupe Espinoza Maldonado said. “These are normal manifestations of the destabilization of the ground.”

I’m sorry, no. These are not normal manifestations of natural activity, this the result of human activity run amok. Just because Cthulhu isn’t clambering out of the breach to wreak havoc on humankind does not mean we shouldn’t be alarmed by the fact we’ve sucked so much water out of the ground that the surface of the earth is collapsing.

Barely a month ago NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory warned of ‘shocking’ groundwater losses in the Colorado River basin, a major watershed to the north of Sonora with similar climate and landuse. Using gravitational data from the satellite-based Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) instrument, scientists found “the basin lost nearly 53 million acre feet (65 cubic kilometers) of freshwater. That’s almost double the volume of the nation’s largest reservoir, Nevada’s Lake Mead. More than three-quarters of the total—about 41 million acre feet (50 cubic kilometers)—was from groundwater.”

NASA’s measurements of groundwater based on gravity. Areas in red show a deficit in groundwater, blue indicates surplus. Image credit: NASA/JPL

The Washington Post also reports that cotton used to be a major crop, but intrusion of saltwater from the Sea of Cortez caused some areas to become unusable for agriculture. However, there is still plenty of large-scale agriculture as evidenced by the Landsat image below.

Hermosillo region of Sonora, Mexico, as seen by Landsat 8, on Aug. 17. Bright green rectangles in the middle of the desert are irrigated fields. However, around the green fields, there appear to many fields that are not being irrigated this season—seen as tan rectangles with a faint grid of roads in between parcels. The blue geometric shapes on the left appear to be salt-drying pans. Image credit: NASA/USGS via SkyTruth

Groundwater reserves can take centuries to recharge, so industrial-scale extraction of water for big agriculture in the middle of the desert cannot continue forever. In the U.S., water managers are facing an uphill battle to control water use in the Colorado River Basin and from the Ogallala Aquifer which stretches from Texas to South Dakota. Factor in that hydraulic fracturing is permanently removing water from the hydrological cycle in some of the most drought-stressed regions of the West, and you have a serious problem.

To be clear, the entire southwestern U.S. is not necessarily about to fall in on itself all at once, but it is struggling to support large-scale agriculture, enormous demand for water from a revitalized onshore oil and gas industry, and a growing population. Maybe this chasm in the desert doesn’t herald the coming of Judgement Day, but perhaps we should be freaking out about our poor judgement.

found at: http://ecowatch.com/2014/08/28/massive-fissure-northern-mexico/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Bummer, Elizabeth Warren, Bummer
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 06:09:20 AM »

Nobody is perfect, least of all politicians. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus during the Civil War. FDR marched thousands of Japanese Americans into internment camps. Jefferson was a slave-owning southerner who very likely would have fought on the side of the Confederacy thanks in no small part to his anti-federalist, and pro-slavery views (he actually bred slaves; let that sink in for a moment). And well, it appears that Senator Elizabeth Warren — a woman upon whom many progressive and liberal hopes are pinned – is an Israel apologist.

And she’s dead wrong about the recent violence in Gaza, to boot.

For a woman who is so perfectly on-point in her analysis and criticism of our current economic climate and system, Warren’s commentary on the crisis in Gaza at a town hall meeting recently is shockingly old school. “…when Hamas puts its rocket launchers next to hospitals, next to schools, they’re using their civilian population to protect their military assets. And I believe Israel has a right, at that point, to defend itself,” Warren told her assembled constituents. It’s so disheartening to see a woman like Warren, or presumed 2016 candidate Hillary Clinton make such boldly hawkish, pro-Israel statements. The issue isn’t that Warren isn’t right, and that Israel doesn’t have a right to defend itself, but that Israel has shown zero ability to exercise restraint in their response, and I was under the impression that even the most hawkish of liberals believes in judicious, measured and appropriate levels of military force being used; not the kinds of wanton mayhem and death rained down upon Gaza last month. Perhaps I was wrong about my fellow lefties’ views of war and peace.

I’ve made a solemn promise to myself not to get even remotely think about 2016′s presidential race until after the mid-terms, which are just around the corner. So I’m not going to declare myself in favor of one prospective candidate or the other. However, as I did briefly touch on in another piece, I’m hoping Senator Warren’s presence is felt for a long, long time in the Senate. She’s the kind of feisty reformer we need right now. I’ve always thought of her as being perhaps a modern day Teddy Roosevelt — unafraid to get in the ring with the mightiest of financial titans and duke it out in defense of the American working class. Perhaps Ms. Warren also shares Teddy’s love of war and violence as well, and man would that really bum me out.

Even her rhetoric itself is super-duper disappointing. It’s bargain basement, garden variety pro-Israel stuff that you’ve heard a million times from a million people. “America has a very special relationship with Israel,” was one of her “gems.” And of course, you can’t be a pro-Israel politician in America without reminding everyone that “Israel lives in a very dangerous part of the world, and a part of the world where there aren’t many liberal democracies and democracies that are controlled by the rule of law. And we very much need an ally in that part of the world.” Because remember, it’s so much easier to excuse imperialism and bloodshed over an arid strip of sand in the desert when you paint everything in a healthy shade of nationalism. We can’t let the only democracy in the Middle East fall! If that Democracy starts raping kittens in the street and throwing orphans into wood chippers we have to stand by them, because they happen to have a style of government that is similar to ours, and therefore we are inextricably linked to them, no matter what levels of sheer barbarism they stoop to!

I’ve never once defended Hamas for their part in this shit-show. I’ve never once said that Hamas has a right to fire rockets into Israel. But I will never tire of pointing out the fact that Israel has the people of Gaza pinned down and penned-up. Where are the people of Gaza supposed to go when they are warned that the building they live in, or worse the building their sick children are getting care in, is about to be blown to smithereens? Senator Warren’s comments on the violence are extremely disappointing in their black-and-white portrayal of the situation.

There simply is no justification for the levels to which Israel and Benjamin Netanyahu have escalated the violence in Gaza. Of course Israel has a right to defend themselves against attacks. That’s what their goddamned iron Dome is for, after all, right? And yes, they most certainly have a right to bring their attackers to justice. If their attackers do not want to go peacefully, Israel indeed has a right to use deadly force if necessary. It’s not pretty, and as someone who considers themselves a realistic, pragmatic pacifist, I understand that some people are so twisted up inside their own assholes on a religious level that they may not be capable of coming along peacefully to stand trial for war crimes. But none of that is an excuse to invoke carnage so ugly and so indiscriminately that more than three-quarters of the body count is from civilians.

If your enemy is hiding behind a classroom full of third graders, you don’t shell the goddamned school. You certainly don’t level the school if you’re able to bat away the overwhelming majority of the shots fired at you. You don’t have to excuse your attackers’ aggression to use judicious and prudent judgment as to the level of response that you give. Why is it so terrible for a sitting Senator or member of Congress — hell, a fucking Commander in Chief — to tell Israel that they need stop being bullies? You don’t swat a fly with an atom bomb, after all, so why are we electing people who would turn a blind eye to the idiotic and vicious levels of violence that Netanyahu has unleashed on the people of Gaza?

I’m not ready to think about 2016 yet; not with any kind of serious thought. But I do know one thing for certain, my preference will be to vote someone — anyone — who has a vision of a world where we can call out our allies for being overly-aggressive, dildo-wielding clowns all the time. In my estimation that person will also very likely see the futility of our self-perpetuating cycle of violence and bloodshed in a region that has seen more than enough of it over the course of human history. I don’t care if their last name is Clinton, Warren, Bush, or Magilicuddy. I’m tired of hawks. We’ve let hawks run the show for long enough I think; it’s time for someone who knows the most awesome exercise is power is the one least often exercised.

Restraint.

found at: http://www.politicalgarbagechute.com/bummer-elizabeth-warren-bummer/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
What I Learned From Debating Science With Trolls
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »
“Don’t feed the trolls” is sound advice, but occasionally ignoring it can lead to rewards.

Must read!

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/nature-and-technology/learned-debating-science-trolls-89154/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
You Can't Understand ISIS If You Don't Know the History of Wahhabism in SA
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 06:21:10 AM »
You Can't Understand ISIS If You Don't Know the History of Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia

The article includes...

WATCH: What Saudi Arabia Has To Do With The Islamic State
THE SAUDI DUALITY
MUSLIM IMPOSTORS

"Those who would not conform to this view should be killed, their wives and daughters violated, and their possessions confiscated, he wrote. "

BRIEF HISTORY 1741- 1818

"Their strategy -- like that of ISIS today -- was to bring the peoples whom they conquered into submission. They aimed to instill fear. "

HISTORY RETURNS WITH ISIS
OIL WEALTH SPREAD WAHHABISM

"On the one hand, ISIS is deeply Wahhabist. On the other hand, it is ultra radical in a different way. It could be seen essentially as a corrective movement to contemporary Wahhabism."

found at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alastair-crooke/isis-wahhabism-saudi-arabia_b_5717157.html