AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1469136 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The purpose of life is to be a nobody
« Reply #13380 on: July 12, 2019, 08:05:41 AM »
Acknowledging unimportance liberates us from the grips of the self-centered voice in our head that’s chiefly responsible for many of life’s difficulties.

We all experience the world like we are at the center of reality.

We think and we feel in relation to how our senses absorb information and how this information mingles with our personal memories. The subjective perception created by these interactions provides the illusion of importance.

We forget that this perception only exists in our minds and that everyone near us is walking around under exactly the same psychological mindset.

In truth, we’re just one of the billions, and over the course of history, everything about us is insignificant. Even people like Newton and Einstein, who we revere for their contributions to humanity, are only slightly less insignificant.

Our universe contains one septillion stars (a one followed by 24 zeroes) and a lot of these stars contain many, many more motes of dust that we call planets. If any of us ceased to exist tomorrow, little would change beyond the subjective emotional states of the people in our immediate circles.

Earth would continue its orbit, and the laws of physics would remain intact. We’re nothing more than a fraction of a ripple in an infinite sea of entropy.

Many of us don’t like hearing this. It conflicts with the story our mind tells.

We’re brought up to think that we’re special, and we like believing it. But I don’t say any of this as a cynic or to depress you. In fact, quite the opposite. I say it because distinguishing between our subjective perception and the objective reality is the key to living a meaningful and important life.

Acknowledging unimportance liberates us from the grips of the self-centered voice in our head that’s chiefly responsible for many of life’s difficulties.

It’s the voice that compares us to people that don’t matter, it’s the same voice that convinces us that we’re entitled to a comfortable and easy life, and it’s indeed this voice that has us chasing arbitrary measures of success.

And the result?

We spend our time acquiring things we don’t want or need, we falter at the first sign of hardship and inconvenience, and one day, we wake up to a ticking clock realizing that, all this time, we’ve lived somebody else’s life.

The surest way to be unfilled is to walk around like you hold some sort of a privileged position in the universe. It’s not only a completely false and harmful illusion, but it also overlooks the fringe benefits of being a nobody.

I’d like to walk you through them.
1. Being a nobody allows us to truly experience and appreciate the profoundness of the sublime

In 1757, Edmund Burke published one of the most influential works in aesthetics. It’s a branch of philosophy that deals with the nature of beauty.

In it, he separated sensory experiences into The Beautiful and The Sublime.

We’re all familiar with The Beautiful. It can be summarized by the standard definition. We see it every day in the things we find stunning and pleasant. The Sublime, however, is different. It’s more than just visually enticing. It’s overwhelming. It makes us feel small, and it has the power to engulf us.

It’s found when we are in awe at the might of nature, it’s experienced in the emotion of love, and it’s discovered when we are compelled by a great work of art. It’s a heightened sense of existence beyond comfort and normalcy.

To fully indulge in The Sublime, we have to give up a part of ourselves. We are forced to accept a degree of inferiority for a connection to something greater. The risk of vulnerability is balanced by the reward of ecstasy.

No one is immune from experiencing this wonder, but ego and a deep sense of personal importance get in the way. They seek ecstasy without accepting vulnerability, and they then find themselves cornered with fear.

There is nothing desirable about it. It leads to a kind of paralysis that steals the potential of experiencing some of the great joys in life. It may be masked with humor or rationality, but in truth, it’s nothing more than insecurity.

Being a nobody, you don’t have this problem. You accept that you’re already naked, so you may as well put it on display to try and gain something.

More often than not, you do.
2. Being a nobody frees us from the irrational pressures and expectations of an uncertain world

We live our lives guided by labels and hierarchies. It’s how we make sense of a complex reality. That said, these labels and hierarchies aren’t absolute.

A tree isn’t a tree because a law of nature has defined it as a tree. It’s a tree because our cognitive brains have learned to understand it as such. It’s our way of translating sensory noise into a mode of organization that’s useful.

This is a crucial distinction. Our observation of reality is an approximation confined by the boundaries of language. It’s uncertain and in large part unpredictable. As the late Nobel Laureate Albert Camus noted, we live to reason with an unreasonable world and it often leads to a conflicted life.

When you bind these labels and hierarchies too closely to your identity, you anchor your expectations to things that are fundamentally fragile.

If you gain your worth from being a CEO and the fact that you wield a degree of power in the context of a business, rather than, say, from intrinsic values, then you will eventually find yourself in a position of conflict.

Life isn’t concerned with your artificial sense of importance. At some point, there will be a divergence between the story you tell yourself and the cold, hard reality. Your net worth won’t matter, and the fall will be much steeper.

When you are a nobody, however, you don’t pretend that a label — whether good or bad — is anything more than a figment of our collective imagination. You liberate yourself from many of the petty societal pressures of existence.

You may still assume a certain role with pride, but knowing that it doesn’t make you any more or less important grounds you on a firmer foundation.

It’s a small mental shift that makes a big difference.
3. Being a nobody gives us the humility to realize that it’s our struggles that define us, not our desires

When we convince ourselves that we’re more special than what the universe dictates, we tend to develop a sense of entitlement about what life owes us.

We choose to believe the surface-level stories about what happiness and success look like, and we are quick to think that they don’t cost a thing.

The harsh truth is that the universe doesn’t owe anyone anything. It’s utterly indifferent to what you or I want. It exists as it does based on the forces that act on it, and to shape an outcome in our favor, it’s on us to pick our battles.

It’s fine and well to want an amazing career, but walking around with the assumption that you deserve one won’t get you there. It’s the price that you are willing to pay that will. It’s that initial unrewarded work and those long, long hours of blood and sweat and tears with no end in sight that will.

To accept such struggles, it takes humility. It requires you to acknowledge that you’re just like everybody else that wants a great job, a wonderful relationship, and consistent happiness. Your desires aren’t unique.

It means that you accept that the difference isn’t in what you want, but in what you are willing to suffer for. It’s about the trade-offs you’re willing to endure, the beatings you’re willing to take, and it’s about knowing that in spite of all of that, the fruits of your labor may still not amount to anything.

It’s about boldly staring life in the face and having the courage to say:

“I might not be much, and I know I won’t always get what I want, but it sure as hell doesn’t mean that I won’t try.”

And that, ultimately, is the purpose of life. To try and see reality in its true form and then to do what you can to shape it into what you wish it were.

You’re already a nobody, and as am I. We’re not owed anything. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can focus on the things we can change. And there’s a lot we can change. It’s not easy, but that’s precisely why it’s valuable.

We’re each a negligible part of a vast cosmic entity, and there really is something beautiful about that if you choose to see it for what it is.

https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/the-purpose-of-life-is-to-be-a-nobody
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Chronic High Tide Flooding on US Coasts Predicted to Get Much Worse - NOAA
« Reply #13381 on: July 12, 2019, 08:37:56 AM »
A new annual report from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) warns that the recent increase in “nuisance” flooding in coastal areas is expected to continue in coming years as relative sea levels rise.

https://sputniknews.com/environment/201907121076220075-noaa-increase-high-tide-flooding/

This is already a well-established phenomenon is SE Virginia. The DOD is finding itself concerned about the naval bases, and is hamstrung by the Frump adman's denial of client change in terms of implementing plans. As for the rest of us, we've put up with three "hundred year floods" in the last decade.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
A Minnesota trucking company closed down for good without any warning on Friday, leaving hundreds of workers out of work.

According to LME, Inc.'s website, a statement went on to say that the company ceased operations due to "unforeseen circumstances."

The following is a full statement from the company:

"We apologize for the inconvenience of the situation but effective July 12, 2019 LME Inc. will no longer be making pickups or deliveries of freight due to unforeseen circumstances and have ceased operations. Our plan is to utilize an alternate carrier to assist in getting all freight delivered and some staff are remaining to help with that. Freight handled by the alternative carrier will be billed by the alternative carrier but with your LME rates applied to the invoice. There will be some delays in the transits of these moves and they may be significantly delayed in some remote locations. LME Inc."

Joe Habeck, a New Ulm resident and driver for LME Trucking for the past eight years out of its terminal in Courtland, said he was out driving Thursday when the company told him to come back, drop off the truck and eventually stated the company was closing.

"They said, 'come back' and I said 'why' and they said 'can't tell you, just come back," he said. "Then they said, 'we're done, get your stuff and go home.'"

Habeck noted he was supposed to get paid on Friday but wasn't. He says he is owed about $2,400 still from the company in total.

"I have a new truck I just bought. Don't know how I'm going to pay that," Habeck said. "I have car insurance, a family to feed and no health insurance now. I'd like to know what happened and give me my money I am owed. I worked for it-- it's stealing from me, basically."

Habeck's emotions are running high, alike his former co-workers.

"Honestly I'd like to cry but I don't know, I'm just in shock yet," he said. "They [co-workers] are all in shock [and] they don't know what to next."

LME Trucking's website says the company employed over 600 people in multiple states — listing 3M and John Deere as major accounts.

https://kstp.com/business/minnesota-trucking-company-lme-inc-abruptly-closes-hundreds-of-employees-without-jobs/5421344/
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Schwarzenegger invites Trump to 'compare tax returns'
« Reply #13383 on: July 13, 2019, 06:27:57 AM »

Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) hit back at President Trump Thursday after the president hammered the actor over his hosting of the NBC show “The Celebrity Apprentice.”

“You know what? He died,” Trump said of Schwarzenegger at a social media summit. “I was there.”

Schwarzenegger is the last Republican to be governor of California, leaving office in 2011.

“I’m still here. Want to compare tax returns, @realDonaldTrump?” Schwarzenegger responded.

Schwarzenegger invites Trump to 'compare tax returns'
© Greg Nash

Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) hit back at President Trump Thursday after the president hammered the actor over his hosting of the NBC show “The Celebrity Apprentice.”

“You know what? He died,” Trump said of Schwarzenegger at a social media summit. “I was there.”

Schwarzenegger is the last Republican to be governor of California, leaving office in 2011.

“I’m still here. Want to compare tax returns, @realDonaldTrump?” Schwarzenegger responded.

The two have feuded in the past, with Trump often needling Schwarzenegger for the ratings decline “The Celebrity Apprentice” experienced under his stewardship and hitting him over his tenure as California governor.

“Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger did a really bad job as Governor of California and even worse on the Apprentice...but at least he tried hard!” Trump tweeted in 2017.

Schwarzenegger responded to that broadside by sharing a news article featuring his disclosure of his tax returns.

Critics hammered Trump during his 2016 White House bid for being the first major-party presidential candidate in decades to refuse to release the returns. Trump has said in the past that he would make his returns public once the Internal Revenue Service finished auditing him.

But the IRS has said an audit does not preclude someone from making tax returns public.

Schwarzenegger declined to endorse Trump in the 2016 White House race.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/452852-schwarzenegger-invites-trump-to-compare-tax-returns

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The One Viable Solution To Climate Change
« Reply #13384 on: July 13, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
The current existential question facing the human race is climate change. If we continue on the current path, some currently populated areas of the planet will become uninhabitable. For instance, coastal cities will be submerged and the whole nation of Bangladesh will be displaced. Everyone will be affected.

Something has to be done. But what? The problem is that none of the paths presently under consideration are viable, except one.

The Limits Of Wind, Solar And Batteries

As explained in a paper from the Manhattan Institute, we are near the theoretical limits of what is possible from efficiency improvements in existing hydrocarbon technology or from wind, and solar energy and battery storage: those technologies are radically inadequate to handle the challenge of climate change.

Hydrocarbons collectively supply 84% of the world’s energy. wind, solar, and batteries provide about 2% of the world’s energy and 3% of America’s.

There have been suggestions that the technologies of wind and solar power and battery storage could be significantly enhanced in the way that improvements in computing and communications have been drastically lowering costs and increasing efficiency. These suggestions ignore profound differences between systems that produce energy and those that produce information.

For instance, as the Manhattan Institute report points out:

Solar technologies have improved greatly and will continue to become cheaper and more efficient. But the era of 10-fold gains is over. The physics boundary for silicon photovoltaic (PV) cells, the Shockley-Queisser Limit, is a maximum conversion of 34% of photons into electrons; the best commercial PV technology today exceeds 26%.

Wind power technology has also improved greatly, but here, too, no 10-fold gains are left. The physics boundary for a wind turbine, the Betz Limit, is a maximum capture of 60% of kinetic energy in moving air; commercial turbines today exceed 40%.

The annual output of Tesla’s Gigafactory, the world’s largest battery factory, could store three minutes’ worth of annual U.S. electricity demand. It would require 1,000 years of production to make enough batteries for two days’ worth of U.S. electricity demand.”

There is simply not enough room for improvement in these technologies to make a big enough difference.

Nuclear Power

Other experts push for greater investment in nuclear power, which is the second largest low-carbon power source after hydroelectricity. It supplies about 10% of global electricity generation. While these experts push for nuclear power as “the answer”, disasters like Chernobyl and Fukushima dominate the popular imagination about nuclear power and make wider implementation politically difficult.

While experts claim that the technological and safety obstacles that once affected the nuclear sector have largely been overcome, laymen continue to worry about the safety of storing nuclear waste for thousands of years. Presently, waste is mainly stored at individual reactor sites and there are over 400 locations around the world where radioactive material continues to accumulate. It would be an improvement if there were centralized underground repositories which are well-managed, guarded, and monitored, but no one can guarantee the fail-safe longevity of those arrangements for thousands of years. Unless and until the storage question of nuclear waste is resolved, nuclear power can hardly be seen as a rational answer to climate change. Pursuit of this option could be jumping out of a climate frying pan into a nuclear fire.

More Regulatory Action And Voluntary Efforts

Meanwhile, regulatory action or voluntary efforts will be utterly insufficient to make a difference. The 2015 Paris Agreement called on countries to individually make their best efforts to contain the damage. This was perceived as a positive step, but it was not enough to stay climate change, even if the Agreement were to be fully implemented.

Under the Paris Agreement, each country is to determine, plan, and regularly report on the contribution that it undertakes to mitigate global warming. No mechanism forces a country to set a specific target by a specific date, but each target should go beyond previously set targets.

Introducing further regulations and controls with ever more intrusive impacts on lifestyles would require enormous political support, which is unlikely to be forthcoming in the current divisive political climate.

The more important problem is that the best efforts by countries individually, even in the unlikely event that all fulfilled their obligations, would not be nearly enough to deal with the issue. That’s because the countries don’t have the technology that would enable them to make enough impact. The current technologies, even with the best will and motivation in the world, will not get the job done. No amount of Paris Agreements can change that. It's like agreeing to try to fly to the moon on a bicycle.

The Paris Agreement 2015 was a setback in the sense that it fueled the illusion that the problem of climate change can be solved by government regulation in each individual country. It can't. It's not that kind of problem.

The Only Viable Solution

The human race didn’t succeed in handling big challenges in the past by upgrading yesterday’s technologies or passing new laws. The Internet didn’t emerge from improving the dial-up phone or regulating phone calls. The electric light bulb didn’t appear from efforts to develop better candles or telling people to use less light. The automobile didn’t arrive by trying to breed faster horses.

The human race solved big problems through basic research that led to radically new technical solutions that changed everything.

A New Manhattan Project

So what if a massive effort in basic research with the best minds and adequate funding was undertaken to find new technology for creating non-polluting energy for the planet?

What if it was launched by one country to get it started and then other countries were invited to join it so as to make it a multinational effort.

Is there any real alternative, except denial?

When do we stop our magical thinking and work on the one thing that will sustain the human race? Is there anything more urgent or important?

When do we start?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2019/07/12/the-one-viable-solution-to-climate-change/#5bb4ea0b8808

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
This baby was born on 7-Eleven Day at 7:11 pm, weighing 7 pounds and 11 ounces
« Reply #13385 on: July 13, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »

Proud parents Johntez Brown and Rachel Langford holding newborn baby J'Aime Brown.

7-Eleven Day typically means free Slurpees for everyone, but this year's celebration turned out more special than usual for one Missouri family.
Rachel Langford of St. Louis gave birth to a baby girl on July 11 -- yes, 7/11.
That's not all, baby J'Aime Brown was born at 7:11 pm, weighing seven pounds and 11 ounces.

Langford, who also has a six-year-old son, told CNN she kept on seeing the numbers 7 and 11 during her pregnancy, but didn't think it meant anything.

"I thought it was weird at first, and I didn't know that (the numbers) meant so much," she said. "A lot of the times (during the pregnancy) I would look at the clock and it was 7:11."

Although a bit "freaked out," both mom and baby are doing well.
Langford says she even plans on telling the convenience store chain about the coincidence.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/13/us/711-baby-trnd/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+CNN+-+Most+Recent%29

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Appearing on MSNBC’s “AM Joy” the author of “TrumpNation,” Tim O’Brien, claimed that the Southern District of New York investigators uncovered a wealth of photographic evidence from accused child trafficker Jeffrey Epstein’s Manhattan townhouse that could clear up — or confirm — accusations made by a woman who claimed Donald Trump raped her in Epstein’s home in the ’90s.

Speaking with host Joy Reid, O’Brien noted that Epstein’s home has cameras in every room leading him to believe that there is a treasure trove of tapes showing criminality.

According to the journalist, “When I worked on my book about Trump, Trump regularly talked to me about Jeff Epstein and he felt they had lifestyles that were in synch. But what is happening now with this investigation in the Southern District and they’re going to get access to Jeffrey Epstein’s videos.”

“The other thing is, there is an outstanding claim a Jane Doe claim filed right before the election by a woman in her 30’s who said in the ’90s when she was 13, Donald Trump raped her in Jeffrey Epstein’s townhouse in the Upper East Side,” he continued. “The veracity of that claim can be tested now by the Southern District.”

“They’re investigating what occurred in Jeffrey Epstein’s townhouse,” he remarked. “They should interview every woman who came in and out of that townhouse, including the woman that made this claim against the president right before the election.”

Adding, “She withdrew her claim because she got death threats, so the White House says her claims were baseless,” O’Brien suggested, “That can be tested very quickly.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/epstein-investigation-could-turn-up-proof-of-womans-claim-trump-raped-her-in-accused-predators-home-trump-biographer/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Serena Williams didn't let her loss to Simona Halep in the Wimbledon final on Saturday deter her from making a larger point about the fight for equal rights.

During her post-match press conference, Williams was asked about those saying she should "stop fighting for equality" and give more of her attention to tennis.

"The day I stop fighting for equality ... will be the day I'm in my grave," Williams said in response.

The reporter specifically cited comments WTA founder and International Tennis Hall of Famer Billie Jean King made in June, per George Bellshaw of Metro:

"She's got business, a baby, she's trying to help gender equity, particularly for women of color, she's actually on the Billie Jean King leadership initiative, she and Venus are both advisors for it. [It makes winning a Slam] much harder. I would like to see her put everything else aside from that. She's got people working on these things."

King did add it's "not fair" to Williams to ask her to do that, but it's "just a wish I have" to see what the 37-year-old could do with tennis as her sole focus. She later clarified her remarks on Twitter:

Billie Jean King
    ✔
    @BillieJeanKing

I would never ask anyone to stop fighting for equality. In everything she does, Serena shines a light on what all of us must fight for in order to achieve equality for all.
    12:40 PM - Jul 13, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

994 people are talking about this

Serena and sister Venus, along with King, have been outspoken in advocating equal pay for women's tennis players.

In a July 2017 essay for Fortune, Serena wrote about the difficulties women of color face in the working world:

"I'd like to acknowledge the many realities black women face every day. To recognize that women of color have to work—on average—eight months longer to earn the same as their male counterparts do in one year. To bring attention to the fact that black women earn 17% less than their white female counterparts and that black women are paid 63% of the dollar men are paid. Even black women who have earned graduate degrees get paid less at every level. This is as true in inner cities as it is in Silicon Valley."

Williams and men's world No. 1 Novak Djokovic are similar in terms of career tournament wins and Grand Slam titles. Djokovic has a 74-72 advantage in career wins, but Williams has a 23-15 edge in Grand Slam victories.

Williams has earned $88.9 million in prize money, while Djokovic's $132 million in prize money is the most in ATP history, per Forbes.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845453-serena-williams-the-day-i-stop-fighting-for-equality-is-the-day-im-in-my-grave

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
We don't need a climate emergency. We need a climate war
« Reply #13388 on: July 13, 2019, 06:29:14 PM »
OPINION: Julie Anne Genter seems to be used to hostile crowds.

The associate transport minister started her speech to the Vehicle Importers Association's midwinter dinner on Wednesday with a lengthy explanation of her travel methods, explaining that despite what many in the audience might have heard, she was not "anti-car".

Her speech came a day after she launched a sweeping policy to clean up the cars coming into New Zealand, setting up a "feebate" that would penalise gas guzzlers to pay for subsidies on cleaner cars (not just electrics).

Her speech ended with a way of talking about climate change that might be our only hope of properly fighting it - a comparison to World War II.

Wars are a much better way of thinking about what the world economy needs to do to properly address climate change than "climate emergencies" - a buzzy legislative instrument Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is open to.

Emergency responses are almost the opposite of what climate change requires. Emergencies last for small periods of time and require governments to temporarily act quickly to deploy resources to the effected area, in order to make an abnormal situation normal again.

Almost everyone accepts that the normal rules should be suspended for this immediate response - dairy owners hand out water, respondents work overtime, and normalcy is eventually restored.

Climate change is nothing like this. It is urgent but not urgent like an earthquake is. And fixing it requires a much more structural change to the way the world is run than other emergencies do, over the 12 years the very conservative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change thinks we have left to stop the worst of it.

War is much better. Wars take several years, require cooperation between countries, and often produce millions of refugees, much like climate change will. Vast technological change can be engendered as countries gear their entire economies towards a singular goal outside of simple growth. (Growth can come as a bonus however: the US had a deficit of 26 per cent of its GDP in 1943, about five times the size of its deficit currently, and its bruising punishment for all this borrowing was two decades of solid growth and the cementing of it as the pre-eminent power of the world.)

Of course, we are bound to lose this war. A huge amount of damaging climate change is already locked in. Here in New Zealand and around the world people are obsessed with reducing plastic waste, a worthy cause that is nowhere near as important as reducing carbon emissions. The lifestyle changes individuals are being pushed to enact will have minuscule material impact, but have been shown in studies to actually reduce support for the kind of big policies which could change things. Global emissions continue their rise.

There are all sorts of arguments you can make about whether Genter's car scheme is the best way forward. The Greens have a problem of assuming that anyone opposed to their vision of the world just hasn't had it explained to them well enough. It is possible to want to fight climate change in a different way than them. Indeed, National leader Simon Bridges was a huge fan of electric vehicles himself, to the point where he implemented an effective $40m subsidy for them.

But what you can't really do any more is ignore climate change as an issue, much as politicians in the late 1930s couldn't really ignore Hitler. The opposition will naturally oppose the government's efforts to fight climate change. The best way for them to do that would be with a full plan themselves.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/114192119/we-dont-need-a-climate-emergency-we-need-a-climate-war

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Serena Williams didn't let her loss to Simona Halep in the Wimbledon final on Saturday deter her from making a larger point about the fight for equal rights.

During her post-match press conference, Williams was asked about those saying she should "stop fighting for equality" and give more of her attention to tennis.

"The day I stop fighting for equality ... will be the day I'm in my grave," Williams said in response.

The reporter specifically cited comments WTA founder and International Tennis Hall of Famer Billie Jean King made in June...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845453-serena-williams-the-day-i-stop-fighting-for-equality-is-the-day-im-in-my-grave

I am no fan of tennis or golf, but I found myself watching Serena and Halep play yesterday.
Halep made short work of her in two sets, an d it wasn't as close as the score. Serena had moments, but the match came down to two words: young legs.
Halep was just faster and more maneuverable and seemed to anticipate Serena's shots.
Neither gravity nor age are our friends.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:18:18 AM by knarf »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

The reporter specifically cited comments WTA founder and International Tennis Hall of Famer Billie Jean King made in June...

I am no fan of tennis or golf, but I found myself watching Serena and Halep play yesterday.
Halep made short work of her in two sets, an d it wasn't as close as the score. Serena had moments, but the match came down to two words: young legs.
Halep was just faster and more maneuverable and seemed to anticipate Serena's shots.
Neither gravity nor age are our friends.

LOL. I find that some super rich celebrities, Serena is worth 180 million, are very passionate about this cause or that...even climate war. Why don't they divest their millions to these causes and live in 1 reasonable house and shop at regular grocery stores.

Offline UnhingedBecauseLucid

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: We don't need a climate emergency. We need a climate war
« Reply #13391 on: July 14, 2019, 06:27:06 AM »
Climate change is nothing like this. It is urgent but not urgent like an earthquake is. And fixing it requires a much more structural change to the way the world is run than other emergencies do, over the 12 years the very conservative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change thinks we have left to stop the worst of it.

War is much better. Wars take several years, require cooperation between countries, and often produce millions of refugees, much like climate change will. Vast technological change can be engendered as countries gear their entire economies towards a singular goal outside of simple growth. (Growth can come as a bonus however: the US had a deficit of 26 per cent of its GDP in 1943, about five times the size of its deficit currently, and its bruising punishment for all this borrowing was two decades of solid growth and the cementing of it as the pre-eminent power of the world.)

What we need more than anything else is to educate those virtue signaling white knights to complete their own education on this matter (which appears to not be worth a damn) and to CORRECTLY FORMULATE what is REALLY REQUIRED:
A "war on climate" is a war on growth.
A transition would increase CO2 emissions without corresponding purchasing power amputation... and the final product would have to be an economy that consumes roughly a third of the energy that we currently use.

I'll start "cooperating" when the leaders get their shit together and COME CLEAN.
If they don't come clean, the wars they'll get will be more akin to the conventional ones...

Man can do what he will, but he cannot will what he wills.
­~ A. Schopenhauer

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
STRATEGY: Company ‘Long Shots’ Could Include Public Relations Campaign, Suing Community

The property at 807 Peters Road in Randle has been purchased by Crystal Geyser, which intends to build a bottling plant along the Cowlitz River — a plan that has drawn fierce opposition from nearby residents in the rural area.

In an email accidentally sent to The Chronicle but apparently meant for the company’s president, Crystal Geyser Chief Operating Officer Page Beykpour said the company’s planned water bottling operation in Randle is likely “dead because the opposition has successfully convinced officials and the media against us.”

“I can tell you 100% in its current proposed nature, it will get rejected,” Beykpour wrote. “The County may even change the zoning to disallow our operations on the property. We are fortunate not to have been sued yet.”

The email sent to The Chronicle was addressed to “Ronan,” likely CG Roxane President Ronan Papillaud. Beykpour claimed, apparently intending to address his boss, that The Chronicle was “in bed with the opposition.” The message also outlines the company’s possible strategy for “long shot” options to try to salvage the project.

The first option mentioned by Beykpour is to hire a public relations firm to gather “grassroots” support, a response to the overwhelming community opposition the project has already generated. He said he had contacted someone who had put him in touch with an organizer who was “of the people.” Once the company has mobilized enough people, Beykpour said, it could bring pressure on government officials and the media to “change the conversation.”

Option No. 2 was a more hardball approach.

“We sue the subdivision for their damage to the (aquifer) due to irrigation and septic system failures,” Beykpour wrote. “Hopefully, this gets them to the table and they are prepared to have an open minded communication about the site being off property but piping distance away. When I’m (sic) Washington we looked at a good location piping distance away, but even if you hide the building, we cannot escape the truck traffic complaint for others who have joined this group.”

Beykpour added that either strategy was unlikely to succeed, but that wouldn’t necessarily stop the company from trying.

“All of the above are super long shots, but from my perspective worth it,” he wrote. “We will face the same all over Washington and Oregon, unless we find the unicorn site. All we lose if we pursue this strategy is time and internal resources, and some minimal costs associated with the PR firm and filing a lawsuit. The biggest risk is negative PR from a lawsuit, but frankly, if substantiated we have something to rest on. Otherwise, I say we dump this site. Please let me know your thoughts.”

Earlier in the email, Beykpour referenced a message with The Chronicle that he believed to be off the record, though the conversation was never specified as off the record, in which he stated other “there are other potential uses for this property that have been considered by other buyers.” He said that he hoped the information was leaked by The Chronicle “to possibly motivate the subdivision to come to the table.”

He did not respond to a question asking about potential other uses or sales.

Crystal Geyser’s proposal, which was first made public this spring, was to build a 100,000-square-foot water bottling plant on its newly purchased Peters Road property along the Cowlitz River. The plant would have extracted 400 gallons a minute from springs on the site. At present, the company is in the permitting process with the Washington State Department of Ecology. To build the plant, it would also need to obtain a special use permit from Lewis County.

The project has drawn swift and fierce opposition in the community. A town hall in Randle drew close to 300 residents who showed up to express their concern. Saturday, the Cowlitz Tribal Council voted unanimously to oppose the plant. More than 1,500 people belong to an opposition Facebook group known as the Lewis County Water Alliance. Scores of residents have attended recent county commission meetings to voice their frustration, and commissioners have expressed concerns of their own.

“Now the public can see how they actually work and think,” said nearby resident Craig Jasmer, who has become the face of the opposition group. “They’re not honest guys.”

Jasmer said he was still “skeptical” that the threat is over.

“We still need to keep our momentum going,” he said. “It’s tough to figure out, when have we won this battle? How do we know we’ve won?”

He said one good indicator would be if Crystal Geyser sold the property, but he remained concerned about the rest of the county if the company were to seek to relocate.

County commissioner Edna Fund said she was “speechless” after hearing the tactics Crystal Geyser outlined in the email.

“Wow. Is that just amazing,” she said. “It is so hard to believe that they would sue citizens and also try to fake people who are opposing the opposition. Oh my goodness.”

Fund added that Randle residents should take pride in making themselves heard.

“Those Randle folks, whether it's the library or water, they're on it,” she said. “They're energized, they organize and do their research and ask good questions. Kudos to them for their community action.”

In a brief phone call with The Chronicle, Beykpour pleaded for the email not to be published, as it was intended to be a “confidential” internal communication about “strategy.”

“You’re really going to take my email and print my email completely out?” he asked.

Chronicle policy is to release newsworthy information to its readers, even if entities wishing to suppress the information released it inadvertently.

Asked about potentially suing the neighbors, Beykpour responded: “We’re vetting that issue out. We’re vetting to see what damage their activities have potentially caused the aquifer.”

George Gigounas, an attorney with the billion-dollar multinational law firm DLA Piper, said in a voicemail to The Chronicle that he represents CG Roxane. He threatened the newspaper with legal action if this story is published.

"That document is attorney-client privileged and it is against the law for you to print it," Gigounas said. "If you do print it, we will pursue all damages affordable by law. If you continue to threaten to print it, we will seek a temporary restraining order as quickly as possible to prevent you from doing that."

That claim of attorney-client privilege does not hold up, said media law expert Michele Earl-Hubbard, president of the Allied Law Group, who explained that attorney-client privilege does not apply to the press.

“(Attorney-client privilege) is a lawyer thing, it's not a reporter thing,” she said. “I think they're freaking out, with good reason. It's not (Beykpour)'s privilege to breach, it's (Papillaud’s). (Beykpour) screwed up in breaching privilege … (Attorney-client privilege) shouldn't work when it comes to the press. This is your job — to publish things.”

http://www.chronline.com/news/crystal-geyser-mistakenly-emails-chronicle-randle-bottling-project-likely-dead/article_cd562296-a434-11e9-85e8-03a953d811a6.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
At least 47 people killed in Nepal floods
« Reply #13393 on: July 14, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »
Large areas have been submerged by heavy monsoon rain in recent days, with many rivers still above flood level

The death toll in Nepal from flash floods and landslides in the past three days has risen to 47, with dozens more injured or missing, according to the Nepalese government.

Incessant monsoon rains have pounded many areas in the mountainous country since Thursday, submerging large areas of land, inundating homes and destroying bridges and roads across the country.

A home ministry statement on Sunday said 47 people had been confirmed dead and 28 injured; it also said 29 people were missing.

Television channels showed roofs of houses submerged in flood waters in the southern plains and people wading through chest-deep water with their belongings on their heads.

Officials said in some areas rains had eased, but some rivers in the eastern part of the country were still above flood level. Authorities asked residents to remain alert.

The Kosi River, which flows into the eastern Indian state of Bihar, was among those that had risen above the flood level.

A Nepalese police official, Ishwari Dahal, said all 56 sluice gates of the Kosi barrage on the Nepal-India border had been opened last night for six hours to drain out 371,000 cusecs of water, the highest accumulation in 15 years. A cusec is a measurement of flow, equivalent to one cubic foot per second.

“Its water level has gone down now,” Dahal told Reuters from the barrage site in south-east Nepal.

The Kosi has been a serious concern for both India and Nepal since it broke its banks in 2008 and changed course, submerging swaths of land and affecting more than 2 million people in Bihar state. About 500 people died in that disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/14/at-least-people-killed-in-nepal-floods-monsoon

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hong Kong extradition protesters escalate fight in suburbs
« Reply #13394 on: July 14, 2019, 06:51:47 AM »
HONG KONG (Reuters) - Tens of thousands rallied in a large Hong Kong suburb on Sunday, driven by abiding anger at the government’s handling of an extradition bill that has revived fears of China tightening its grip over the ex-British colony and dismantling its freedoms.

Millions have taken to the streets over the past month in some of the largest and most violent protests in decades over an extradition bill that would allow people to be sent to mainland China for trial in courts controlled by the Communist Party.

Police equipped with riot gear clashed with some protesters who used metal barriers and other objects to block off roads.

Demonstrators marched in sweltering heat of about 32 degrees Celsius (89.6°F) in Sha Tin, a town between Hong Kong island and the border with China, extending the protests outwards from the heart of the financial centre into surrounding neighbor.

“These days there is really no trust of China, and so the protesters come out,” said Jennie Kwan, 73.

“Didn’t they promise 50 years, no change? And yet we’ve all seen the changes. I myself am already 70-something years old. What do I know about politics? But politics comes to you.”

Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997 under a “one country, two systems” formula that guarantees its people freedoms for 50 years that are not enjoyed in mainland China, including the liberty to protest and an independent judiciary.

Beijing denies interfering in Hong Kong affairs, but many residents worry about what they see as an erosion of those freedoms and a relentless march toward mainland control.

Hong Kong’s embattled leader, Carrie Lam, has said the extradition bill is “dead”, but opponents say they will settle for nothing short of its formal withdrawal.

Some protesters on Sunday waved banners appealing to U.S. President Donald Trump to “Please liberate Hong Kong” and “Defend our Constitution”. Such scenes are certain to rile Beijing, which has been angered by criticism from Washington and London over the controversial bill.

Others waved British and American flags, while banners calling for Hong Kong’s independence billowed in the sultry breeze from makeshift flagpoles.

One placard featured a picture of Chinese leader Xi Jinping with the words: “Extradite to China, disappear forever.”

Chants of “Carrie Lam go to hell!” rang through the crowd, gathered well away from the island heart of the financial centre which has witnessed the largest and most violent demonstrations over the past month.

Organizers said around 115,000 attended Sunday’s rally. Police put the number at 28,000 at its peak.

PROTESTERS SPAN GENERATIONS

The bill has stirred outrage across broad sections of Hong Kong society amid concerns it would threaten the much-cherished rule of law that underpins the city’s international financial status. Young, elderly and families joined the latest protest.

The protests have caused the former British colony’s biggest political crisis since its handover to China. Demonstrators stormed the Legislative Council building on July 1 and ransacked it.

“I support the youngsters, they have done something we haven’t done. There is nothing we can do to help them, but come out and march to show our appreciation and support.”

Protesters are also demanding that Lam step down, the withdrawal of the word “riot” to describe demonstrations, the unconditional release of those arrested and an independent investigation into complaints of police brutality.

Police have condemned what they describe as “violent protesters” and stressed that officers will investigate all illegal acts.

One woman, in her mid-50s, said protesters had harassed her after she tried to defend the police, whom activists described as “dogs”.

“It’s verbal violence,” said the woman, who gave her name only as Catherine. “People just surrounded me and shouted rude language and that makes me feel I am living in fear.”

Mass protests over the bill since June have morphed into demonstrations over democracy and broader grievances in society.

On Saturday, a largely peaceful demonstration in a town close to the Chinese border turned violent as protesters hurled umbrellas and hardhats at police, who retaliated by swinging batons and firing pepper spray.

The government condemned violence during Saturday’s protests against so-called “parallel traders” from the mainland who buy goods in bulk in Hong Kong to carry into China for profit.

It said that during the last 18 months it had arrested 126 mainland visitors suspected of infringing the terms of their stay by engaging in parallel trading, and barred about 5,000 mainland Chinese also suspected of involvement.

Earlier on Sunday, hundreds of journalists joined a silent march to demand better treatment from police at protests.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-extradition/hong-kong-anti-extradition-protesters-fire-up-fight-in-the-suburbs-idUSKCN1U904G?utm_source=reddit.com

“I never missed a march so far since June,” said a 69-year-old man who gave only his surname, Chen.