AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1927197 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
This massive cosmic butterfly is pure galactic eye candy
« Reply #16770 on: August 02, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »

The butterfly nebula imaged by ESO.

Celestial objects come in all shapes and sizes, and most are a real treat to look at. Still, some are more breathtaking than others, and the massive blob of gas known to astronomers at NGC 2899 is in a class of its very own. The massive bubble is in the shape of a butterfly with its wings spread, and scientists as the European Southern Observatory just snapped the most detailed image of it to date.

The European Southern Observatory (ESO for short) says the object is somewhere between 3,000 and 6,500 light-years from Earth. A pair of stars sits near its center, and as one of them died it blasted surrounding gasses into space. The other star acted upon the gas as it was pushed away, and the result is a nearly symmetrical shape.

Massive collections of gas and dust like this are often the beginnings of a new system. As gravity acts upon the material it coalesces into shapes we eventually identify as planets. It takes a long, long time for this process to unfold, but for now, we’re treated to a nebula that is pure eye candy.

“NGC 2899’s vast swathes of gas extend up to a maximum of two light-years from its center, glowing brightly in front of the stars of the Milky Way as the gas reaches temperatures upwards of ten thousand degrees,” ESO explains. “The high temperatures are due to the large amount of radiation from the nebula’s parent star, which causes the hydrogen gas in the nebula to glow in a reddish halo around the oxygen gas, in blue.”

Along with the stunning image, the European Southern Observatory also created a stunning video showing where the nebula is located in the night sky. It starts from a wide sky field and zooms all the way in on NGC 2899, which is so tiny at first that it’s impossible to find amidst the mass of bright stars. Just take a look:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZD8XQyuBCY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pZD8XQyuBCY&fs=1</a>

Pretty wild stuff, huh? If that doesn’t make you feel tiny and insignificant, I don’t know what will.

Understanding the different stages of star and planet formation is important for astronomers that want to paint a clearer picture of the formative years of our own system. Will NGC 2899 eventually become a planetary system with gas giant planets? Will they have a chance to form before the still-active star at its center blows its top and blasts even more loose gas and debris into space? We won’t be around to find out, but it’s fun to think about.

https://bgr.com/2020/07/31/feast-your-eyes-on-a-cosmic-butterfly/
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Jim Clyburn: Trump is Mussolini
« Reply #16771 on: August 02, 2020, 10:57:19 AM »

Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) speaks during a news conference to discuss an upcoming House vote regarding statues on Capitol Hill on July 22, 2020 in Washington, D.C.

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn on Sunday likened President Donald Trump to Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini, warning that Trump would resist leaving office.

The South Carolina lawmaker and No. 3 House Democrat said on CNN's "State of the Union" that Trump has taken up "strong-arm tactics." Trump ignited an uproar last week after he floated the idea of delaying the November election, which he lacks the authority to do.

"I don't think he plans to leave the White House," Clyburn said of Trump. "He doesn't plan to have fair and unfettered elections. I believe that he plans to install himself in some kind of emergency way to continue to hold on to office."

Clyburn made the historical comparison to Mussolini after drawing attention for comments he made in a PBS interview released Friday comparing Trump to Adolf Hitler.

On Sunday, Clyburn said Trump was more akin to Mussolini and that Russian President Vladimir Putin "is Hitler." Mussolini's rule as Italian dictator lasted for two decades until he was deposed as Italy faced catastrophic defeat in World War II.

Trump has drawn bipartisan condemnation for his suggestion that the election should be delayed. The president has pointed to alleged fraud concerns around mail-in ballots.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, a Republican, told CNN on Sunday: "It's not helpful for the president to think out loud in a public fashion."

"The president should accept the results just like presidents in the past have accepted the results," Hutchinson said.

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows on CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday dismissed the controversy around Trump's election comments.

"We're going to hold an election on Nov. 3," Meadows said. "And the president is going to win."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/02/clyburn-trump-mussolini-390500
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
‘The Kremlin wants me dead’: Russia's sports doping whistleblower speaks out
« Reply #16772 on: August 02, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »

Grigory Rodchenkov in a scene from Icarus, the Oscar-winning documentary about doping in sport.

The man in front of me is wearing a disguise. We are talking on Skype. I’m at my home near London and Dr Grigory Rodchenkov is at an undisclosed location somewhere in America, guarded 24/7 by armed FBI agents. How is he? “My life is good. My mood is very good,” he says. He’s grinning, I think. Since he’s wearing a black scarf over his face and dark glasses, it’s hard to tell.

The cloak-and-dagger atmospherics surrounding our interview might seem a little overblown. Until, that is, you remember, Vladimir Putin’s roving assassins are trying to establish Rodchenkov’s secret location so they can snuff him out, a traitor to the state. Russia’s president has a long list of enemies. But Rodchenkov – the most significant sports whistleblower of the 21st century – is probably at the top.

Rodchenkov was director of Moscow’s anti-doping centre. The super-lab’s name is a misnomer. As Rodchenkov recounts in a gripping memoir, The Rodchenkov Affair, he ran Russia’s doping programme. He developed a novel drugs cocktail to help his country win. It featured three nearly undetectable anabolic steroids. Athletes swished it around the mouth, mixed with Chivas Royal or vermouth.

Russia’s state-sponsored doping operation was a highly sophisticated affair, refined over many years. And a successful one. Moscow cheated its way to medals in successive international competitions. They included the 2012 London Olympics, the “dirtiest in history”, according to Rodchenkov. The fraud reached its apogee at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, hosted by Putin and a moment of patriotic pride.

How much did the Russian president know? According to Rodchenkov, the lot. “He knew about this operation. He was informed on a regular basis, yes,” he says. After each doping episode, Russia’s sports minister Vitaly Mutko – a simple loyalist, in the book – would pop in and brief the president. Typically, Putin would ask if there was anything Mutko needed. “The state’s role is absolutely clear,” Rodchenkov says.

In the cold war, doping was rife across the Soviet bloc. Rodchenkov recalls how as a promising student athlete he first took performance-enhancing drugs in 1981, while sitting on the sofa of his Moscow apartment. His mother, a medic, injected a steroid called retabolil into his right buttock. “The drug felt intoxicating. I could feel energy pouring into my gluteus maximus, the most powerful muscle in a runner’s body,” he writes.

Rodchenkov read chemistry at Moscow State University. In the mid-1980s he got a job at the USSR’s doping- control lab. He thrived there, and rose to run the facility after elbowing out his boss. Rodchenkov admits in his career to covering up hundreds of positive doping results for Russian sportsmen and women, many of them stars. He says he coordinated this programme with Kremlin politicians and top sporting officials.

In politics, Putin was determined as president to project Russia as a great power. In the sporting arena, however, things were going less well. In 2010, he was disappointed by the Russian team’s failure at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, where it won just three gold medals. Sport and ideology go hand in hand; as the Sochi Games loomed, Putin gave orders for Russia’s performance to be improved as a matter of urgency, the whistleblower says.

I ask Rodchenkov how we should feel about the London Olympics? At the time they felt magical. We now know, thanks to his revelations, that there was rampant Moscow cheating. Rodchenkov acknowledges the Games were exceptionally dirty and blames in part the “poor analytical performance” of the UK’s anti-doping lab at Harlow, Essex. It failed to spot 126 positive doping cases, he says, including 82 in track and field.

By the time the Sochi Games arrived, Moscow had taken its doping operation to a giddy level. Rodchenkov says Putin sent in the FSB, the secret spy agency he once headed. A group of FSB officers were covertly inserted into Rodchenkov’s doping control team. The spies made a miraculous breakthrough: they discovered how to open tamper-proof bottles used in urine control tests. Positive samples could be replaced with clean ones.

Rodchenkov likens the backroom drama at Sochi to a thriller. “It was Ian Fleming! It was James Bond number two!” he says, with a note of pride. His lab perfected what he calls a “swapping system”. In advance of the Games, Russian Olympians produced clean urine samples. These were carefully stored. The athletes – especially the older ones, who got the most benefit – then swigged Rodchenkov’s potent drugs cocktail.

At the purpose-built Sochi lab where the urine samples from Olympic athletes would be taken after each event, Rodechnkov’s assistant,Yuri Chizhov, drilled a small hole in the wall. This was in room 125. The room connected with room 124, where the FSB had pre-stored clean urine samples in a fridge. Working in the dead of night, the scientists and the spooks exchanged bottles, as the athletes’ samples arrived. “It was a watertight fraud,” Rodchenkov recalls. “There were no security cameras.” Western doping-control inspectors who occasionally dropped by spotted nothing amiss; the mouse-hole looked like an inoperative power socket. “They were extremely naive. They couldn’t understand or estimate the magnitude of our lies and falsification,” he tells me. An FSB officer, Evgeny Blokhin, oversaw the entire operation, disguised as an innocent plumber. Rodchenkov describes Blokhin as a “pure foot soldier” from the provinces who “fulfilled orders”. He regards the Russian athletes who took part in the fraud as witting cheats. They knew that the state perks that went with Olympic status were dependent on keeping their mouth shut. Most of them did.

I have long been fascinated by the motivations of those who work for Putin’s shadow state: why do it? Between 2007-2011, the FSB broke repeatedly into my flat when I was the Guardian and Observer’s correspondent in Moscow, a small platoon of ghosts. Rodchenkov knows the FSB. He says its recruits are not “homogenic”. There is rivalry between Moscow spies and a powerful group from Putin’s home city of St Petersburg, he says. “Some people are patriotic,” he adds. “They are still obsessed with Leninist ideas. Others think they are James Bond. And some of them are thieves, fakers and scumbags. They just want to make money.” Blokhin, he says, knew nothing about doping when he got the Sochi assignment, codenamed Operation Resultat. He learned quickly and became a partner in what Rodchenkov calls “our fraud”.

By the time the Games ended, Rodchenkov was exhausted. He had outwitted Wada the World Anti-Doping Agency; Putin gave him the Order of Friendship. In 2015 his problems began, however. Germany’s ARD TV network accused him of presiding over a massive doping programme. And Wada recalled the Sochi samples, prompting Rodchenkov’s lab to dump positive bottles in a landfill site 30km outside Moscow.

Rodchenkov realised his situation was now extremely dangerous. In November 2015, he took the fateful decision to escape Russia. He packed a carry-on containing his computer hard drive: evidence of the Kremlin’s crimes. He flew to LA and stayed with the filmmaker Bryan Fogel, whose documentary on the affair, Icarus, would win an Oscar. A month after reaching the US, Rodchenkov confessed all on camera – the lies, the cover-up, the state’s omnipotent role.

Almost five years later, Rodchenkov says he made the right choice. He says he misses his family terribly – his wife, Veronika, and children Vasily and Marina – who stayed behind in Moscow with their dog. They have been holed up in a dacha outside the capital, trying to dodge coronavirus. “They’re clever people. They understand it’s much better for me not to be in a grave next to Nikita.” Nikita is Nikita Kamaev, Rodchenkov’s deputy. Kamaev was found dead in mysterious circumstances soon after Rodchenkov fled to California. Another colleague and sports executive, Vyacheslav Sinyev, died the same month. Rodchenkov believes both were murdered. “Nikita had been writing a book. I told him to stop it,” he says. The FSB terminated Kamaev with an “invisible inoculation”, he thinks.

Rodchenkov says writing his tell-all book was easy. As a teenager in the Soviet Union, he penned 44 volumes of diaries. He wrote the first chunk of The Rodchenkov Affair immediately after arriving in America. After blowing the whistle on Kremlin doping, Rodchenkov went into hiding, moving locations on multiple occasions. He wrote so much he had to “cook, stew and mix” the manuscript, he says jokingly – using the vocabulary of doping.

He scatters his memoir with quotations from George Orwell, who – he says – understood the deceitful nature of Moscow power. “Cheating, lying and denying are fundamental to political life in Russia,” Rodchenkov observes. He is a fan of Fielding, Dickens and Thackeray as well as Walter Scott and Iris Murdoch. He enjoys the Russian greats too – Lermontov, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, plus the poets Joseph Brodsky and Daniil Kharms.

Putin, of course, denies any wrongdoing. He says Russia is the victim of a hypocritical western plot, led by Washington and London. Few outside Russia are convinced. Rodchenkov’s revelations led directly to Russia’s Olympic Committee being suspended from world sport; the International Olympic Committee (IOC) rowed back on this and allowed some Russian athletes to compete in the 2016 Rio and 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics.

Moscow is currently appealing a four-year ban from major international sporting events. It’s unclear if its team will take part in next summer’s postponed Toyko Olympics or in the Winter Games in Beijing in 2022. There are few signs that the Kremlin is prepared to acknowledge wrongdoing; instead, Rodchenkov says, Russia last year deleted its entire database of doping test results, giving WADA a faked version with adverse entries stripped out.

At home, Russian state media depicts Rodchenkov as a fraud and a fabulist, who has sold out his motherland for 30 pieces of silver. Rodchenkov sees himself as a late-developing whistleblower. It may have taken a while before his conscience kicked in, but he eventually came out on the side of justice and transparency – enlightening the world about wrongdoing on a galactic scale by a pathologically untruthful regime.

He concludes his book by writing: “I am happy, finally, to be on the side of truth.” This is an admirable sentiment, but Rodchenkov is well aware of the price his moral stance entails. The Kremlin, he says, will kill him if it can: “It’s a fact of life. I was scared for two or three days only.” “I know it will never stop,” he says, “even when Putin dies.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/02/the-kremlin-wants-me-dead-russias-sports-doping-whistleblower-speaks-out

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Fitch Ratings downgrades its outlook on U.S. debt.
« Reply #16773 on: August 02, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »

The national debt topped $22 trillion in March. Cratering tax revenues and surging expenditures have driven record levels of red ink for the federal government in recent months.

The credit rating firm Fitch left the United States’ AAA rating untouched, but downgraded its outlook on what is effectively the national credit score, suggesting the country’s status as one of the world’s most trustworthy borrowers could be put at risk by the enormous deficits the federal government is running to combat the fallout from the pandemic.

“The outlook has been revised to negative to reflect the ongoing deterioration in the U.S. public finances and the absence of a credible fiscal consolidation plan,” Fitch analysts wrote on Friday in a report announcing the decision.

Cratering tax revenues and surging expenditures have driven record levels of red ink for the federal government in recent months. The United States’ budget deficit hit a record $864 billion in June as the government continued pumping money into the economy to support workers and businesses slammed by the pandemic. Some analysts expect monthly deficits to soon top $1 trillion.

Ballooning deficits have led to an explosion of new borrowing. Fitch noted that the Treasury Department borrowed just under $3 trillion dollars from the end of February to the end of June.

Much of the supply of new government bonds was, essentially, purchased by the Federal Reserve, which has bought $2.6 trillion in financial assets since the middle of March, Fitch noted.

The presence of the Federal Reserve, which can essentially create whatever money it wants and use it to buy assets, such as U.S. government debt, has depressed yields on government bonds even as debts and deficits rise sharply.

On Friday, the yield on the 10-year note fell to 0.53 percent, one of the lowest levels in recorded history, suggesting there is virtually no concern among investors about the country’s ability to service its growing debts.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/07/31/business/stock-market-today-coronavirus

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Why some Republicans are now targeting Trump, GOP senators, ABC announces
« Reply #16774 on: August 02, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TaL1cco8EAQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TaL1cco8EAQ&fs=1</a>

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Scientists Predict There's 90% Chance Civilization Will Collapse Within 'Decades
« Reply #16775 on: August 02, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
The most optimistic scenario would see only a 10 percent chance of civilization continuing, say experts in biological physics from Alan Turing Institute and the University of Tarapacá

It is just a matter of few decades when the world will witness the "irreversible collapse" of the human civilization, unless mankind drastically changes the course, said researchers from the Alan Turing Institute and the University of Tarapacá.

The physicists, Mauro Bologna and Gerardo Aquino have predicted that deforestation will claim the last forests on Earth between 100 and 200 years but the end of civilization would come sooner. As per their prediction, civilization has only a 10 percent chance to survive, which they described as the most "optimistic scenario."

The End of Civilization
The team of researchers believes that the end of civilization will come within decades. In the new study, which was published in Nature, the researchers wrote, "Clearly it is unrealistic to imagine that the human society would start to be affected by the deforestation only when the last tree would be cut down."

Before humans started to dominate the world, the planet was covered by 60 million square kilometers of the forest but now there are less than 40 million square kilometers of forest, revealed the study.

As trees and forests play a huge role to balance Earth's ecosystem, fewer forests will cause more deduction of oxygen from the blue planet and create an unwanted change in the food chain. "It is highly unlikely to imagine the survival of many species, including ours, on Earth without [forests]," the study added.

Based on the scientific model, the researchers came to the conclusion that due to resource consumption, a catastrophic collapse in the human population is the most likely scenario of the dynamical evolution based on current parameters.

The calculations have shown that maintaining the actual rate of population growth and resource consumption, particularly forest consumption, the humans have only a few decades left before the collapse of the civilization

The research finding added that "A rapid disastrous collapse in population occurs before eventually reaching a low population steady-state or total extinction. We call this point in time the 'no-return point' because if the deforestation rate is not changed before this time the human population will not be able to sustain itself and a disastrous collapse or even extinction will occur."

Deforestation Is Leading Towards the End
As most deforestation is happening in the tropical regions, a report by scientists from the University of Maryland revealed that the tropics lost about 61,000 square miles of forest in 2017-- an area equivalent to the size of Bangladesh.

The World Bank estimated that since the beginning of the 20th century, around 3.9 million square miles of forest have been lost. As per a 2018 report by The Guardian, every second, a chunk of forest same as the size of a soccer field is lost.

The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) have claimed that there are four commodities-- responsible for tropical deforestation-- these are beef, soy, palm oil, and wood products. They have estimated that an area almost the size of Switzerland—around 14,800 square miles-- gets lost due to deforestation every year.

Experts believe that developing alternatives to deforestation can help decrease the need for tree clearing which will save the human civilization from extinction. For example, instead of expanding agricultural land by cutting trees, if people adopt sustainable farming practices or new farming technologies and crops, the need for more land would be diminished.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/scientists-predict-theres-90-chance-civilization-end-will-collapse-within-decades-49295

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Knarf's Knewz Channel
« Reply #16776 on: August 02, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
Experts believe that developing alternatives to deforestation can help decrease the need for tree clearing which will save the human civilization from extinction. For example, instead of expanding agricultural land by cutting trees, if people adopt sustainable farming practices or new farming technologies and crops, the need for more land would be diminished.

What happens when the experts each have three kids.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
I ran into this guy on 1 of my search adventures recently. Dhar Mann
« Reply #16777 on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »
Before You Stress, Watch This | Dhar Mann

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/33D-LBICnVM&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/33D-LBICnVM&fs=1</a>

Here is an example of Titles to his Subscriber YouTube Site Which announces "We're not just telling stories, we're changing lives."

and over 8 Billion Views.

Criminal Applies For A Job At Restaurant, What Happens Next Is Shocking | Dhar Mann
1.1M views
1 day ago

6:52
NOW PLAYING
WATCH LATER
ADD TO QUEUE
Teacher Goes On Strike For More Pay, What Happens Next Is Shocking | Dhar Mann
1.5M views
3 days ago

4:46
NOW PLAYING
CEO Fat Shames Model In Beauty Campaign, He Lives To Regret His Decision | Dhar Mann
1.6M views
5 days ago

6:58
NOW PLAYING
Homeless Mom Collects Cans For Cash, Stranger Changes Her Life Forever | Dhar Mann
2.8M views
1 week ago

6:55
NOW PLAYING
Gold Digger Mocks Poor Woman's Ring, She Instantly Regrets Her Decision | Dhar Mann
2.7M views
1 week ago

6:32
NOW PLAYING
Customer Humiliates Burn Survivor, Then Instantly Regrets His Decision | Dhar Mann
1.9M views
1 week ago

3:02
NOW PLAYING
Couple Steals Parking Spot From Grandma, They Live To Regret Their Decision Forever | Dhar Mann
1.3M views
2 weeks ago

5:30
NOW PLAYING
Mean Girls Reject Teen From TikTok Dance Group, They Live To Regret Their Decision | Dhar Mann
4.1M views
2 weeks ago

7:46
NOW PLAYING
Poor Dad Can't Wash His Clothes, Stranger Changes His Life Forever | Dhar Mann
1.8M views
2 weeks ago

7:27
NOW PLAYING
Dad Kicks Out Son For Using LiveGlam Makeup, What Happens Is Shocking | Dhar Mann
2.1M views
3 weeks ago

10:34
NOW PLAYING
Mean Kids Harass Sad Elderly Woman, What Happens Next Is Shocking | Dhar Mann
2.3M views
3 weeks ago

6:39
NOW PLAYING
Skinny Girl Fat Shames Stranger, Instantly Regrets Her Decision | Dhar Mann
3.1M views
3 weeks ago

6:12
NOW PLAYING
Sick Grandma Takes Spoiled Teen's Bedroom, What Teen Does Next Will Break Your Heart | Dhar Mann
1.8M views
4 weeks ago

12:19
NOW PLAYING
Producer Harasses Aspiring Actress, He Lives To Regret His Decision | Dhar Mann
2M views
1 month ago

5:15
NOW PLAYING
Mom Has Children Of Two Races, Her Life Story Will Shock You | Dhar Mann
2.3M views
1 month ago

6:20
NOW PLAYING
Homeless Man Doesn't Have Shoes, Stranger Changes His Life Forever | Dhar Mann
2.4M views
1 month ago

5:38
NOW PLAYING
Lady Can't Afford Groceries, A Stranger Changes Her Life Forever | Dhar Mann
1.6M views
1 month ago

8:00
NOW PLAYING
Kid Steals Money From A Wallet, Stranger Teaches Her A Lesson | Dhar Mann
2.7M views
1 month ago

6:01
NOW PLAYING
Bartender Humiliates Poor Woman, He Instantly Regrets His Decision | Dhar Mann
2.9M views
1 month ago

6:03
NOW PLAYING
Police Officer Arrests Innocent Man, Lives To Regret His Decision | Dhar Mann
3.4M views
1 month ago

Dad Can't Afford Daughter's Wedding Dress, Stranger Changes Their Life Forever | Dhar Mann
1.7M views
1 month ago

Employee Gets Fired For How She Dresses, What Happens Next Will Shock You | Dhar Mann
3.4M views
1 month ago

Alcoholic Husband Abandons His Family, His Dad Teaches Him An Important Lesson | Dhar Mann
2M views
1 month ago

Boyfriend Jealous Of Girlfriend's Success, What Happens Next Will Shock You | Dhar Mann
2.1M views
1 month ago

Nurse Can't See Her Children Due To Covid, What Her Daughters Do Will Shock You | Dhar Mann
1.5M views
1 month ago

Spoiled Teen Sick Of Quarantine, Stranger Teaches Her A Lesson | Dhar Mann
2M views
1 month ago

This Lady's Baby Won't Stop Crying, A Stranger Changes Her Life Forever | Dhar Mann
2.4M views
2 months ago

Husband Takes Housewife For Granted, Then He Learns An Important Lesson | Dhar Mann
1.4M views
2 months ago

Daughter Tests Positive For Coronavirus, What Happens Next Is Shocking | Dhar Mann
2.7M views
2 months ago

Spoiled Girl Demands A Limousine, Poor Girl Teaches Her A Lesson | Dhar Mann
2.7M views
2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/c/DharMannOfficial/videos

That is the first page of about 60 pages of videos!

This is the Wikipedia story.

Dhar Mann

Dhar Mann

Born   Dharminder Mann
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
🏳️ Nationality   American
Other names   
University of California, Davis (B.A.)
💼 Occupation   
CEO of LiveGlam Inc.
💵 Salary :
🏡 Home town   San Francisco, California, U.S.
Title   CEO
❤️ Partner(s)   Laura G
🌐 Website   www.dharmann.com
Dharminder "Dhar" Mann (born 1984)[1] is an American entrepreneur who has engaged in business activities spanning a wide range of industries. He is currently the founder and CEO of LiveGlam Inc.

Contents
1   Business activities
2   Personal life
3   References
4   External links
Business activities
Mann's first business venture was a real estate mortgage brokerage company, which he started at age 19 while attending the University of California, Davis. The early success of the venture led him to withdraw from college, though he later returned and graduated from UC Davis in 2007 with degrees in Economics and Political Science.[citation needed]

In 2007, he founded a real estate property management company and continued his real estate business ventures.[citation needed]

In 2008, he started a luxury transportation company and in 2009 expanded his fleet to include exotic vehicles.[citation needed]

In 2010, he founded weGrow, franchise selling hydroponic supplies specifically for growing medical marijuana.[2][3][4] weGrow was acquired in 2014.

In 2012, Mann was arrested and indicted for defrauding the City of Oakland, California out of redevelopment funds, after he forged a signature on a document certifying that a contractor was paid with tens of thousands of dollars of government funds, when in fact the contractor had been paid nothing.[5][1][6] In 2014, Mann pleaded no-contest to five felony counts of fraud, and was sentenced to five years probation and ordered to repay the city $44,399 in restitution.[7][8][9]

In 2015, Mann founded LiveGlam, a subscription-based makeup club.[10]

Personal life
In September 2019, Mann proposed to his gay girlfriend Laura.[11]

and finally where this ran out of gas for me....the need for his personal economic growth, in an almost (you would think) unnecessary profession.

LiveGlam

Google says : LiveGlam is a global team of more than 50 talented individuals who work together as one big fam! The head of our family is CEO & founder Dhar Mann, who launched the startup from a 300-sq. foot studio apartment, with only $600. Talk about glamming on a budget. Dhar Mann – Founder and CEO of LiveGlam

And counting all the other sources of his income including his company, LiveGlam, and Dhar Mann Studios, according to our estimate, he has a total net worth of over $150 million dollars as of 2020. He earns $3 million a year through his YouTube channel only. LiveGlam is estimated to get around $20 Million as its annual revenue.

These are the for 4 of the 40 models they use on the website to advertise their products...(can't copy the whole web page it is very commercial. )

https://liveglam.com/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

When the Covid-19 pandemic made face masks an everyday essential, Japanese startup Donut Robotics spotted an opportunity. They created a smart mask — a high-tech upgrade to standard face coverings, designed to make communication and social distancing easier.

In conjunction with an app, the C-Face Smart mask can transcribe dictation, amplify the wearer's voice, and translate speech into eight different languages.
The cutouts on the front are vital for breathability, so the smart mask doesn't offer protection against the coronavirus. Instead, it is designed to be worn over a standard face mask, explains Donut Robotics CEO Taisuke Ono. Made of white plastic and silicone, it has an embedded microphone that connects to the wearer's smartphone via Bluetooth. The system can translate between Japanese and Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian, English, Spanish and French.
Donut Robotics first developed the translation software for a robot called Cinnamon — but when the pandemic hit, the robot project was put on hold. That's when the team's engineers came up with the idea to use their software in a face mask.

An appealing robot
Donut Robotics started life in a garage in Kitakyushu City, in Fukuoka prefecture, in 2014.
Ono co-founded the company with engineer Takafumi Okabe with the aim to "change the world with small and mobile communication robots."
With venture capital investment, the duo applied to Haneda Robotics Lab — an initiative that sought robots to provide services for visitors at Tokyo's Haneda Airport.
According to a spokesperson for Haneda Robotics Lab, robots fill a need as Japan's declining workforce will make it harder to recruit human staff.
Donut Robotics' Cinnamon robot — designed to provide tourists with useful information and help them to navigate the airport — was one of four translation robot prototypes selected by the project in 2016. Haneda Robotics Lab says Cinnamon beat the competition because of its appealing aesthetics and user-friendly design, and because the translation software performed well in noisy environments.

This success prompted the company to relocate to Tokyo and take on three new team members.
Ono says the Donut Robotics software uses machine learning developed with the help of translation experts and specializes in the Japanese language. He claims that "the technology is better than Google API, or other popular technologies" for Japanese language users, because most competitor apps focus on translating to and from English.
The team started testing a prototype at Haneda Airport in 2017 and continued developing the technology.
But earlier this year, Covid-19 hit Asia and the airport project ground to a halt. "We were running short of money and wondering how to keep the company going," says Ono.
The team sought a solution and came up with the idea to adapt its software for a product that would sell well in a pandemic.
A quickly growing market
The coronavirus pandemic has led to a boom in face mask sales, with mask-wearing in public now mandated in many countries around the world.
Seeing an opportunity to monetize their translation technology, Donut Robotics launched a fundraiser on Japanese crowdfunding platform Fundinno in June. They raised 28 million yen ($265,000) in 37 minutes, says Ono. "It was very surprising," he says, "because it would usually take three or four months to get that kind of money."

A second round of crowdfunding on Fundinno in July raised a further 56.6 million yen ($539,000), which Ono plans to use to develop translation software for the international market. To scale up production, Donut Robotics have partnered with a company in Tokyo, which they declined to name.
Ono says the first wave of distribution is expected to take place in Japan, with 5,000 to 10,000 masks available by December. They will be priced at $40 to $50, he says, with an extra subscription for the app. Donut Robotics will not expand overseas until April 2021 at the earliest, but there has been interest in the UK and US, where they plan to crowdfund on Kickstarter, says Ono.
The mask's Bluetooth chip can connect to smartphones up to 32 feet (10 meters) away, says Ono. He hopes the mask will make new social distancing norms in locations including hospitals and offices easier, by enabling good communication. "We still have many situations where we have to meet in person," he says. "In this new normal ... the mask and the app are very helpful."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/business/japanese-robotics-smart-face-mask-spc-intl/index.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Referring to a $400 billion 25-year trade deal between Iran and China U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on August 2 said the United States will apply all Iran sanctions also to the "Chinese Communist Party and their businesses and state-owned enterprises".

The comments on the Iran-China deal were made during an interview with the Sunday Morning Futures program of Fox News.

In response to a question on the agreement which the presenter said "is set to be in the final stages of approving", Pompeo said it "shouldn't be surprising that regimes that don't respect freedom at home and foment national security problems abroad would want to join hands" and added that the United States will be sure to enforce all the provisions it has and apply all Iran sanctions, "to the Chinese Communist Party and their businesses and state-owned enterprises as well".

Pompeo pointed out that the U.S. filed new sanctions on Iran on Friday which included expanding sanctions to Iran's metals industry but will also try to stop the lifting of the JCPOA weapons embargo that will expire in October. According to Pompeo, the United States will present a Security Council resolution aimed at keeping the embargo in place.

The lifting of the embargo will allow the Chinese and the Russians to sell weapons systems to Iran and then allow Iran to sell those weapons systems and other arms around the world as well, Pompeo said.

Pompeo also said countries in the Middle East should "see this for what it is as well" and added, "China’s entry into Iran will destabilize the Middle East. It will put Israel at risk. It will put the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Emirates at risk as well. Iran remains the world’s largest state sponsor of terror, and to have access to weapons systems and commerce and money flowing from the Chinese Communist Party only compounds that risk for that region."

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/pompeo-says-iran-sanctions-to-be-applied-to-china-if-400-billion-trade-deal-signed/30763560.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The worrying rise in river pollution coincides with a dramatic increase in the number of ‘wild swimming’ clubs

None of England’s rivers are safe to swim in, the results of a new investigation into Britain’s polluted waterways have revealed.

According to a study published in the Times, 86 per cent of rivers fall short of the EU’s pollution standards and none of them are tested regularly enough to be officially deemed safe for swimmers.

Half of all rivers overseen by the Environment Agency last year reportedly contained at least one hazardous pollutant – including pesticides and toxic metals.

Lack of prosecutions
Regional water companies which manage Britain’s sewage systems have long been blamed for the contamination.

But the number of prosecutions by Environment Agency has dropped dramatically in recent years, with only three cases brought against the water giants last year compared with 30 in 2014.

The agency reportedly even allows the companies to suggest their own penalties, with many of them usually getting away with a contribution to charity.

After the report’s publication, Kerry McCarthy, MP, said: “The Environment Agency needs to step up.”

Ms McCarthy also said the Environment Agency was “treating fines as the cost of doing business, rather than seeing them as a serious deterrent”.

Outdoor swimming clubs
The rising levels of pollution coincides with a sharp increase in the number of ‘wild-swimming’ clubs.

According to the Outdoor Swimming Society, their membership has soared to more than 70,000 having been just a couple of hundred a decade ago.

Swimmers are unaware that rivers across the country contain toxic materials such as lead and mercury, as well as insecticides.

Despite the failings, under current EU rules the government has committed itself to ensuring that all rivers are of a good ecological standard by 2027.

Campaigners, however, have warned that Britain is “not remotely on course” to hit the target.

i has contacted the Environment Agency for comment.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/uk-rivers-pollution-wild-swimming-environment-agency-322083

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Schools in Mexico will not reopen at start of academic year
« Reply #16781 on: August 03, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
BBC Covid-19 Updates

Schools in Mexico will not reopen at the start of the academic year on 24 August as the number of cases are too high, the country’s education minister has said.

Esteban Moctezuma said the decision was made to safeguard the health of students and teachers.

In response, the government has made a deal with major television networks to broadcast a nation-wide home schooling scheme.

More than 47,000 people have died in Mexico and more than 439,000 cases have been confirmed.

“The pandemic represents one of the greatest challenges of our time,” Mr Moctezuma said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53634115?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5f2814f8d1ff6e0665b292ed%26Schools%20in%20Mexico%20will%20not%20reopen%20at%20start%20of%20academic%20year%262020-08-03T14%3A00%3A11.353Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:def42f11-3476-4474-b30f-11b3536c214a&pinned_post_asset_id=5f2814f8d1ff6e0665b292ed&pinned_post_type=share

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tourism spend in Spain drops by 98.6 percent
« Reply #16782 on: August 03, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »

A man sunbathes at Talamanca beach in Ibiza on July 31, 2020

Spain’s tourism industry has taken a huge hit from the pandemic

Tourism expenditure in Spain in June was down 98.6 percent on the same period last year, according to new figures from the National Statistics Institute.

The average length of a trip to Spain dropped by one day, to 5.7 days on average, and foreign tourists spent only €133 million in June.

Spain has been one of the countries most affected by the COVID pandemic, and was put into lockdown between mid-March and mid-June.

A series of local lockdowns have since been imposed in parts of Catalonia and Galicia. On Sunday, some 11,000 residents in the towns of Íscar and Pedrajas de San Esteban, both in the northern province of Valladolid, were put into a 14-day lockdown.

Tourism accounts for about 14 percent of the Spanish economy, and there had been hopes the sector would rebound after the state of emergency was lifted. However, data on credit card use published by BBVA research suggests that foreign tourism in July was also down. Purchases with foreign credit cards were more than 50 percent below the levels of July 2019.

Spain has also been subject to further restrictions from other countries. Last month, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson added the country to the U.K.’s quarantine list.

Things aren't likely to improve much in August. Only a quarter of Spain's hotels — around 4,500 out of the 16,000 licensed hotels — are open, according to lobby group Mesa del Turismo.

https://www.politico.eu/article/tourism-spend-in-spain-drops-by-98-6-percent/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
COVID-19 long-term toll signals billions in healthcare costs ahead
« Reply #16783 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Late in March, Laura Gross, 72, was recovering from gall bladder surgery in her Fort Lee, New Jersey, home when she became sick again.

Her throat, head and eyes hurt, her muscles and joints ached and she felt like she was in a fog. Her diagnosis was COVID-19. Four months later, these symptoms remain.

Gross sees a primary care doctor and specialists including a cardiologist, pulmonologist, endocrinologist, neurologist, and gastroenterologist.

“I’ve had a headache since April. I’ve never stopped running a low-grade temperature,” she said.

Studies of COVID-19 patients keep uncovering new complications associated with the disease.

With mounting evidence that some COVID-19 survivors face months, or possibly years, of debilitating complications, healthcare experts are beginning to study possible long-term costs.

Bruce Lee of the City University of New York (CUNY) Public School of Health estimated that if 20% of the U.S. population contracts the virus, the one-year post-hospitalization costs would be at least $50 billion, before factoring in longer-term care for lingering health problems. Without a vaccine, if 80% of the population became infected, that cost would balloon to $204 billion.

Some countries hit hard by the new coronavirus - including the United States, Britain and Italy - are considering whether these long-term effects can be considered a “post-COVID syndrome,” according to Reuters interviews with about a dozen doctors and health economists.

Some U.S. and Italian hospitals have created centers devoted to the care of these patients and are standardizing follow-up measures.

Britain’s Department of Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are each leading national studies of COVID-19’s long-term impacts. An international panel of doctors will suggest standards for mid- and long-term care of recovered patients to the World Health Organization (WHO) in August.

YEARS BEFORE THE COST IS KNOWN
More than 17 million people have been infected by the new coronavirus worldwide, about a quarter of them in the United States.

Healthcare experts say it will be years before the costs for those who have recovered can be fully calculated, not unlike the slow recognition of HIV, or the health impacts to first responders of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York.

They stem from COVID-19’s toll on multiple organs, including heart, lung and kidney damage that will likely require costly care, such as regular scans and ultrasounds, as well as neurological deficits that are not yet fully understood.

A JAMA Cardiology study found that in one group of COVID-19 patients in Germany aged 45 to 53, more than 75% suffered from heart inflammation, raising the possibility of future heart failure.

A Kidney International study found that over a third of COVID-19 patients in a New York medical system developed acute kidney injury, and nearly 15% required dialysis.

Dr. Marco Rizzi in Bergamo, Italy, an early epicenter of the pandemic, said the Giovanni XXIII Hospital has seen close to 600 COVID-19 patients for follow-up. About 30% have lung issues, 10% have neurological problems, 10% have heart issues and about 9% have lingering motor skill problems. He co-chairs the WHO panel that will recommend long-term follow-up for patients.

“On a global level, nobody knows how many will still need checks and treatment in three months, six months, a year,” Rizzi said, adding that even those with mild COVID-19 “may have consequences in the future.”

Milan’s San Raffaele Hospital has seen more than 1,000 COVID-19 patients for follow-up. While major cardiology problems there were few, about 30% to 40% of patients have neurological problems and at least half suffer from respiratory conditions, according to Dr. Moreno Tresoldi.

Some of these long-term effects have only recently emerged, too soon for health economists to study medical claims and make accurate estimates of costs.

In Britain and Italy, those costs would be borne by their respective governments, which have committed to funding COVID-19 treatments but have offered few details on how much may be needed.

In the United States, more than half of the population is covered by private health insurers, an industry that is just beginning to estimate the cost of COVID-19.

CUNY’s Lee estimated the average one-year cost of a U.S. COVID-19 patient after they have been discharged from the hospital at $4,000, largely due to the lingering issues from acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which affects some 40% of patients, and sepsis.

The estimate spans patients who had been hospitalized with moderate illness to the most severe cases, but does not include other potential complications, such as heart and kidney damage.

Even those who do not require hospitalization have average one-year costs after their initial illness of $1,000, Lee estimated.

‘HARD JUST TO GET UP’
Extra costs from lingering effects of COVID-19 could mean higher health insurance premiums in the United States. Some health plans have already raised 2021 premiums on comprehensive coverage by up to 8% due to COVID-19, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Anne McKee, 61, a retired psychologist who lives in Knoxville, Tennessee and Atlanta, had multiple sclerosis and asthma when she became infected nearly five months ago. She is still struggling to catch her breath.

“On good days, I can do a couple loads of laundry, but the last several days, it’s been hard just to get up and get a drink from the kitchen,” she said.

She has spent more than $5,000 on appointments, tests and prescription drugs during that time. Her insurance has paid more than $15,000 including $240 for a telehealth appointment and $455 for a lung scan.

“Many of the issues that arise from having a severe contraction of a disease could be 3, 5, 20 years down the road,” said Dale Hall, Managing Director of Research with the Society of Actuaries.

To understand the costs, U.S. actuaries compare insurance records of coronavirus patients against people with a similar health profile but no COVID-19, and follow them for years.

The United Kingdom aims to track the health of 10,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients over the first 12 months after being discharged and potentially as long as 25 years. Scientists running the study see the potential for defining a long-term COVID-19 syndrome, as they found with Ebola survivors in Africa.

“Many people, we believe will have scarring in the lungs and fatigue ... and perhaps vascular damage to the brain, perhaps, psychological distress as well,” said Professor Calum Semple from the University of Liverpool.

Margaret O’Hara, 50, who works at a Birmingham hospital is one of many COVID-19 patients who will not be included in the study because she had mild symptoms and was not hospitalized. But recurring health issues, including extreme shortness of breath, has kept her out of work.

O’Hara worries patients like her are not going to be included in the country’s long-term cost planning.

“We’re going to need ... expensive follow-up for quite a long time,” she said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fallout-insight/long-term-complications-of-covid-19-signals-billions-in-healthcare-costs-ahead-idUSKBN24Z1CM?utm_source=reddit.com

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Pharma giant Sanofi charged with manslaughter in birth defects case
« Reply #16784 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »

Sanofi said it has filed a legal challenge to the indictment

French prosecutors have indicted pharma giant Sanofi for manslaughter over birth defects linked to an epilepsy drug, the company said Monday, in a long-running case that has also seen it charged with fraud.

The charges relate to the drug valproate, marketed as Depakine among other trade names, which studies say has caused disabilities in about 15,000-30,000 children whose mothers took the medicine while pregnant.

On the market since 1967, the drug is used to treat epilepsy, migraines and bipolar disorder.

But research found that when pregnant women took the drug, their children had an elevated risk -- between 10 to 40 percent -- of congenital malformations, autism and learning difficulties.

Sanofi is facing separate charges of aggravated fraud and unintentionally causing injury in 42 cases filed by families, but insists it had warned health authorities of the drug's risks already in the 1980s.

On Monday, the company confirmed a report in Le Monde newspaper that prosecutors have now also charged it with manslaughter.

But in a statement sent to AFP it insisted it had "fulfilled its obligation" of providing information on the drug and its side-effects, and said it "contests the validity of these proceedings."

Sanofi said it has filed a legal challenge to the indictment.

Under the French legal system, charges do not automatically result in a trial as prosecutors can decide not to proceed based on a lack of evidence.

Last month, a French court ordered the state to pay thousands of euros in damages over the scandal, saying officials should have ensured the drug was not taken by pregnant women.

The court found that health officials knew about the risk of birth defects from Depakine already in 1983, and of learning disabilities and autism from 2004.

Another 500 complaints have been lodged with France's national compensation agency for medical accidents, which has already proposed a 6.5-million-euro ($7.6-million) package for Depakine victims.

Sanofi, a France-based multinational, is working on a candidate vaccine against the novel coronavirus with Britain's GSK, for which it will receive up to $2.1 billion from the US government.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200803-pharma-giant-sanofi-charged-with-manslaughter-in-birth-defects-case