AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1927168 times)

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: the difference between each and every
« Reply #16815 on: August 06, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
Grammar > Easily confused words > Each or every? We use each to refer to individual things in a group or a list of two or more things. It is often similar in meaning to every, but we use every to refer to a group or list of three or more things.  Google search

Sorry, but that's an inadequate definition. The difference is in the implication of individual consideration and  possible differentiation between units, vs uniformity and standardization.

'each zebra has stripes', suggests any given zebra may just as likely not have stripes. 'Every zebra has stripes', suggests that is a universal feature.

'I insulted each one of them' suggests giving seperate, personalized insults. 'I insulted everyone' implies making one insult that applies to all.

'Each one of you find a solution' and 'everyone find a solution' mean working alone as opposed to collaborating.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:45:41 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16816 on: August 06, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Grammar > Easily confused words > Each or every? We use each to refer to individual things in a group or a list of two or more things. It is often similar in meaning to every, but we use every to refer to a group or list of three or more things.  Google search

Sorry, but that's an inadequate definition. The difference is in the implication of individual consideration and  possible differentiation between units, vs uniformity and standardization.

'each zebra has stripes', suggests any given zebra may just as likely not have stripes. 'Every zebra has stripes', suggests that is a universal feature.

'I insulted each one of them' suggests giving seperate, personalized insults. 'I insulted everyone' implies making one insult that applies to all.

'Each one of you find a solution' and 'everyone find a solution' mean working alone as opposed to collaborating.

you say "'each zebra has stripes', suggests any given zebra may just as likely not have stripes. "  This is not true. Both mean that all the zebras have stripes.

I don't think your take on this is "perfect". From another source....

"Each" and "every" mean the same thing and are considered singular nouns so they take singular verbs. (Note the singular verbs in the following examples.)

If you want to get technical, you can use "each" to emphasize the individual items or people:

Each car is handled with care.

Inspectors scrutinize each egg to make sure it isn't cracked.

And you can use "every" to emphasize the larger group:

Every car should use hybrid technology.

The Egg Farmers of America want eggs on every table for breakfast.

People often say “each and every” for emphasis, but it is redundant, and I almost always advise brevity when it comes to usage.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/each-and-every
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:47:17 PM by knarf »
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16817 on: August 06, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »

"Each" and "every" mean the same thing and are considered singular nouns so they take singular verbs. (Note the singular verbs in the following examples.)

If you want to get technical, you can use "each" to emphasize the individual items or people:

People often say “each and every” for emphasis, but it is redundant, and I almost always advise brevity when it comes to usage.

Do 'Each child is tall' and 'every child is tall' mean the same?

I'll bet that would be an American source , the English would say that if you want to get technical they mean the same thing, not that you CAN use them to emphasize the individual or collective, as they ALWAYS do. She gives no examples where they don't as they would stand out as wrong, so she has what is technically correct and what is meant, back to front. She should have said that if you want to get technical, they are the same thing.

An English would also have said "hybrid technology should be used in every car", instead of suggesting inanimate objects are users in the sense they are capable of independent actions. Cars which run on (use) either gas OR electricity can not combine both to be hybrid. The car is the used, not the user in the sense of being capable of something that it should, but can't do. "Should" denotes a decision maker with a choice, something cars are not

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:45:37 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16818 on: August 07, 2020, 09:46:39 AM »

Do 'Each child is tall' and 'every child is tall' mean the same?

I'll bet that would be an American source , the English would say that if you want to get technical they mean the same thing, not that you CAN use them to emphasize the individual or collective, as they ALWAYS do. She gives no examples where they don't as they would stand out as wrong, so she has what is technically correct and what is meant, back to front. She should have said that if you want to get technical, they are the same thing.

An English would also have said "hybrid technology should be used in every car", instead of suggesting inanimate objects are users in the sense they are capable of independent actions. Cars which run on (use) either gas OR electricity can not combine both to be hybrid. The car is the used, not the user in the sense of being capable of something that it should, but can't do. "Should" denotes a decision maker with a choice, something cars are not

I like the way you think...to hell with these American purveyors of laziness (mentally). I aim sticking with your definition...though I will probably never run into  difficulty getting my point across, unless I blatantly misuse either of the words. :)
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
We are 99.9% the same, DNA wise.
« Reply #16819 on: August 07, 2020, 09:52:37 AM »
I added this to the Science category... but it is very relevant in TODAYS world!

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,13848.msg192990/topicseen.html#msg192990

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Stonehenge Scientists Find Evidence of Britain's First Civil War
« Reply #16820 on: August 07, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
INJUSTICE!!!!                                                INJUSTICE!!!!                                                   INJUSTICE!!!!                                  INJUSTICE!!!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7KWNmg8ce8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p7KWNmg8ce8&fs=1</a>

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
FBI monitored Seattle's George Floyd protests to find violent agitators in crowd
« Reply #16821 on: August 07, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »

(KOMO) – Over the last month as protests for racial justice filled the streets of Seattle the FBI was watching closely for violent and destructive agitators in the crowds.

Images of George Floyd’s last breath mark a moment in American history that has and will change our nation.

The immeasurable anger here in Seattle began to spill over May 30 when a peaceful demonstration was overcome by violence, looting and arson.

"We immediately stood up a command post to work very closely with the Seattle Police Department and our joint terrorism task force to see if we could identify those individuals who were bent on violence, on high jacking the peaceful protests to commit acts of violence that would be potential violations of federal criminal law," said Raymond Duda, Special Agent in Charge with the Seattle FBI Office.

The FBI said this mayhem was created by a lot of locals and people who traveled from out of state to do all this harm.

The FBI said all along they have been watching closely to determine of these violet acts are part of a larger “organized” movement.

Arrests for this destruction have been made and more are expected. Threats of arson and more topped the list toward Seattle Police Department and facilities, the FBI said.

"As this situation played out we continued to get fairly specific intelligence regarding threats to the East Precinct," Duda said.

A person was eventually arrested for setting fire just outside the precinct. Police abandoned the building June 8.

"There were threats that spanned the spectrum (37) threats from the far left threats from the far right," Duda said.

The FBI said while they were providing intelligence to the Seattle Police Department they were not involved in the decision to leave the precinct.

The federal agency said they had intelligence of possible explosive devices, firearms and extensive distribution of illegal narcotics –all just outside in the area that had become the Capitol Hill Organized Protest – an autonomous zone where on several nights violence turned deadly.

"In our intelligence collections efforts spend as much time on threat emanating from those individuals in the chop as much as it did identifying threats focused on those individuals at the CHOP," Duda said.

The city chose to shut down the CHOP after crime and violence took over the neighborhood and many felt the message of racial justice and police reform had been lost.

But the FBI and so many others point to the peaceful protests that started a movement that will likely change Seattle forever.

"I think this defines us as a democracy and I do believe it will eventually lead to meaningful discussion and change that will make us all better," Duda said.

https://komonews.com/news/local/fbi-monitored-seattles-george-floyd-protests-to-find-violent-agitators-in-crowds

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
In a world of poverty and injustice

An anti-mask protestor holds up a sign during a right-wing protest "Stand For America Against Terrorists and Tyrants" at State Capitol on July 18, 2020 in Columbus, Ohio

With limited time and passion to give to causes, it’s crucial we choose ours well. So well done Facial Justice Warriors for ignoring other issues until a fight worth fighting came along – being asked to occasionally wear a mask
Bob Geldof once spoke of compassion fatigue: the notion that we have limited emotional resources when it comes to ‘doing our bit’ for a good cause. We can’t help everyone all the time, so it’s important to choose your battles wisely.

This is why I salute the Facial Justice Warriors (FJWs), a term I have coined for those people tirelessly and selflessly campaigning against rarely-enforced laws requiring them to wear a face mask for a few minutes if they happen to be, say, in a shop or on a bus, in an attempt to slow the spread of Covid-19.

While others have spent their precious energy campaigning against things like poverty, crime and injustice, the FJWs have bided their time, waiting for a really serious issue to trigger their activism. And now they have it: an annoying dress code.

We’ve had anti-mask marches, we’ve had Bible-quoting mask truthers marching through supermarkets (warning: the truth may differ from truther to truther), we’ve had a wave of maskless selfies from brave FJWs risking the wrath of apathetic teenage shop assistants and, of course, we’ve had the FJW online battalions warning us of the #plandemic.

And what warriors they are.

Pundamentalism
@Pundamentalism
·
Jul 26
Why does every ‘no mask selfie’ picture look like they’re staring into their microwave, waiting for a ready-meal to cook.

6:36 AM · Jul 26, 2020
See the latest COVID-19 information on Twitter

These people will absolutely not be told to wear a mask for a small percentage of their week, even if there is a reasonable chance that doing so could prevent people from catching an unpleasant and potentially fatal virus because the FJWs’ civil liberties are far more important.

They will not allow a minor inconvenience to interfere with their lives when instead they can protect us from sadistic governments who have finally found a way to control our behaviour having failed to do so for millennia with all those other laws. FJWs, I can only assume, also refuse to submit to such authoritarian liberty-destroying diktats such as having to drive on a designated side of the road or wear clothes in public places.

If only they’d been around in World War II. While all those sheeple were complying with blackout rules and rationing, the FJWs would have been having black market BBQs and laser shows in their back gardens, really telling Churchill and whoever the 1940s Bill Gates was (Einstein?) where to shove their science. Because did you know that statistically, the chances of you dying from a German bomb were less than those of you dying from tripping over a kerb in a pitch-black street or from not eating enough butter? True fact.

These guys are sticking it to the Man for the greater good. They could have campaigned to end homelessness or improve mental health awareness. They could have taken on (actual) bullying or racism. They could have mentored vulnerable young people or worked to rehabilitate offenders. But no, they’ve found an even higher hill and they’re going to die on it, with their final breath unhindered by cloth.

They will ignore the fact that, while you can dispute the infection and death rates, only the most dedicated conspiracy theorist doesn’t believe the coronavirus pandemic is real and that wearing a mask in the very limited situations where it’s required might just impede its effects. They will also ignore how limited those situations are.

They will trot out evidence that they got off Twitter of masks actually killing people or increasing acne or something, which is why medical staff, factory workers and people in the Far East who wear them for hours a day in non-pandemic times are always keeling over in the street.

They will point to conflicting data about the efficacy of masks and argue that it’s “inconclusive” but refuse to err on the side of caution when they can err on the side of doing whatever they want, consequences be damned.

They will ignore that fact that almost no-one likes wearing a mask and very few want to, but that most people don’t really see it as a big deal and realise that it’s a temporary nuisance. They will ignore that fact that governments clearly don’t want to make people wear masks because it’s not, and has never been, a vote-winning policy.

And, of course, they will ignore accusations of hypocrisy. I have every faith that if you had a Venn diagram that showed the cross over between FJWs flouting these laws and the people who are very much in favour of strict enforcement by the state of any rules they agree with, perhaps things like “getting tough” with other kinds of protesters, then you could call that diagram a “circle.”

Which is great because, when they go to the supermarket to take their rebellious selfie or save our souls from all the lies, they can get their cake and eat it – without anything getting in their way.

They will do all this because, well, probably because they’re amazing, selfless people who simply want #justiceforfaces.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/496555-mask-hating-facial-justice-warriors-covid/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Don Winslow Films - #AmericasGreatestMistake - 1min. 50sec.
« Reply #16823 on: August 07, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJy3FM_sLqM&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BJy3FM_sLqM&fs=1</a>

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Ohio governor tests positive for Covid-19 ahead of Trump visit
« Reply #16824 on: August 07, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has tested positive for Covid-19 hours before he had been due to meet with President Donald Trump, who is visiting the Midwest state.

The Republican governor cancelled plans to greet Mr Trump at the airport due to the test result.

He will remain at home for the next 14 days, his office said on Thursday.

Mr DeWine is the second US governor to contract the virus after Republican Kevin Stitt of Oklahoma.

"I had no symptoms, no reason to think that I had Covid-19," the governor said on Thursday.

The positive test was just the second for the governor since the outbreak began, following standard protocol ahead of a visit with the president. He received a nasal swab on live television in June in attempt to encourage Ohioans to be tested and received a third test to confirm his positive result on Thursday.

Ohio has seen over 90,000 Covid-19 cases and 3,500 deaths.

Mr DeWine was praised in the beginning days of the outbreak in the US for taking early action to stem the tide of infections.

Ohio was the first state in the US to close schools due to the pandemic and was among the first to shutdown businesses.

The US governor who saw it coming early
The state's lieutenant governor was also tested on Thursday and was found to be negative.

Upon arriving in Cleveland to tour a factory and deliver remarks on the economy, Mr Trump told reporters "we wanted to wish him [Mr DeWine] the best. He will be fine".

Mr Trump added that the governor has "done a fantastic job".

Mr Stitt, the Oklahoma governor, was infected in mid-July.

Last month, Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert discovered he was infected with Covid-19 after he was tested by the White House before travelling to his home state with Mr Trump.

His plan was cancelled and Mr Gohmert, who frequently did not wear a mask while interacting with lawmakers on Capitol Hill, was forced to remain in Washington.

Illinois Republican Rodney Davis also tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday. Over a dozen members of Congress have been infected with the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53687442

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Congress urges Postal Service to undo changes slowing mail
« Reply #16825 on: August 07, 2020, 10:16:27 AM »
WASHINGTON — (AP) — Lawmakers from both parties are calling on the U.S. Postal Service to immediately reverse operational changes that are causing delays in deliveries across the country just as big volume increases are expected for mail-in election voting.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said Thursday that changes imposed by the new, Republican postmaster general "threaten the timely delivery of mail — including medicines for seniors, paychecks for workers and absentee ballots for voters — that is essential to millions of Americans.''

In separate letters, two Montana Republicans, Sen. Steve Daines and Rep. Greg Gianforte, also urged the Postal Service to reverse the July directive, which eliminates overtime for hundreds of thousands of postal workers and mandates that mail be kept until the next day if distribution centers are running late.

Content Continues Below
And 84 House members — including four Republicans — signed yet another letter blasting the changes and urging an immediate reversal.

"This action, if not rescinded, will negatively impact mail delivery for Montanans and unacceptably increase the risk of late prescriptions, commercial products or bill delivery,'' Daines said Thursday in a letter to Postmaster General Louis DeJoy.

"Delaying mail service is unacceptable,” Gianforte wrote to DeJoy. “Do not continue down this road.”

In their letter, the 84 House members said it is "vital that the Postal Service does not reduce mail delivery hours, which could harm rural communities, seniors, small businesses and millions of Americans who rely on the mail for critical letters and packages.'' The letter was led by Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., chairwoman of the House Oversight Committee, who has called DeJoy to testify at a hearing next month.

The flurry of letters came as the top Democrat on a Senate panel that oversees the Postal Service launched an investigation into the operational changes.

The cost-cutting measures, intended to address the Postal Service's longtime financial problems, were imposed last month after DeJoy, a Republican fundraiser and former supply-chain executive, took over the top job in June. DeJoy, 63, of North Carolina, is a major donor to President Donald Trump and the Republican Party. He is the first postmaster general in nearly two decades who is not a career postal employee.

Michigan Sen. Gary Peters, the top Democrat on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said DeJoy has failed to provide answers about the service delays, despite repeated requests.

Peters is asking the public to provide their stories about delays or other problems with deliveries.

The Senate inquiry comes as lawmakers increasingly focus on the Postal Service, which is reeling from mail delays and financial problems at a time when record numbers of mail ballots are expected in the November presidential election because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump, a vocal critic of the Postal Service, contended Wednesday that "the Post Office doesn’t have enough time” to handle a significant increase in mail-in ballots. “I mean you’re talking about millions of votes. .. It’s a catastrophe waiting to happen.″

DeJoy met with Schumer and Pelosi Wednesday in a closed-door session that Schumer called “a heated discussion.″ Democrats told DeJoy that “elections are sacred” and urged him not to impose cutbacks “at a time when all ballots count,″ Schumer said.

“For 245 years, the Postal Service has worked to provide reliable, consistent and on-time delivery that keeps Americans connected no matter where they live – especially in rural areas," Peters said. "Unfortunately, in recent weeks, I’ve heard firsthand from constituents, postal workers and local officials in Michigan who have encountered problems with the timely and dependable service they count on to conduct business, get prescription medications and critical supplies and even exercise their right to vote.''

Democrats have pushed for $10 billion for the Postal Service in talks with Republicans on a huge COVID-19 response bill. The figure is down from a $25 billion plan in a House-passed coronavirus measure. Key Republicans whose rural constituents are especially reliant on the post office support the idea.

With her state's vast and difficult terrain, “the Postal Service is a primary source of knowledge, commerce and basic necessities,” said Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska. For Alaskans, additional help from Congress "is truly a necessity — not a convenience,'' she said.

David Partenheimer, a spokesman for the Postal Service, declined to comment on the letter from Democrats. But he said the agency is using all available resources to “match the workload created by the impacts of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.″ The Postal Service has “a liberal leave policy” and is aggressively trying to hire qualified candidates to replace tens of thousands of workers who have gotten sick or opted not to work because of the pandemic, he said.

“We appreciate the patience of our customers and the efforts of employees as conditions change on a day-to-day basis,″ he said.

Partenheimer disputed reports that the Postal Service is slowing down election mail or any other mail. “We continue to employ a robust and proven process to ensure proper handling of all election mail consistent with our standards,'' he said.

Republican Reps. Peter King of New York, David McKinley of West Virginia, Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania and Daniel Webster of Florida joined the House letter, which was signed by 80 Democrats.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/politics/democrats-demand/SL5NP5WDLIDZ6EVKAQ4SFDZXVQ/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Seeking refuge in US, children fleeing danger are expelled
« Reply #16826 on: August 07, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
HOUSTON (AP) — When officers led them out of a detention facility near the U.S.-Mexico border and onto a bus last month, the 12-year-old from Honduras and his 9-year-old sister believed they were going to a shelter so they could be reunited with their mother in the Midwest.

They had been told to sign a paper they thought would tell the shelter they didn’t have the coronavirus, the boy said. The form was in English, a language he and his sister don’t speak. The only thing he recognized was the letters “COVID.”

Instead, the bus drove five hours to an airport where the children were told to board a plane.

“They lied to us,” he said. “They didn’t tell us we were going back to Honduras.”

More than 2,000 unaccompanied children have been expelled since March under an emergency declaration enacted by the Trump administration, which has cited the coronavirus in refusing to provide them protections under federal anti-trafficking and asylum laws. Lawyers and advocates have sharply criticized the administration for using the global pandemic as a pretext to deport children to places of danger.

MORE STORIES:
– 'See you in court': ACLU files nearly 400 cases versus Trump
– AP Exclusive: Migrant kids held in US hotels, then expelled
– Hundreds of children wait in Border Patrol facility in Texas
No U.S. agents looked at the video the boy had saved on his cellphone showing a hooded man holding a rifle, saying his name, and threatening to kill him and his sister, weeks after the uncle caring for them was shot dead in June. And even though they were expelled under an emergency declaration citing the virus, they were never tested for COVID-19, the boy said.

Three weeks after their uncle was killed, the children fled Honduras, crossing the U.S.-Mexico border alone. Under the normal process set out by U.S. law, they would have been referred to a government facility for youth and eventually placed with their mother. Instead, they were expelled on July 24 after three days in U.S. detention and now live in Honduras with another uncle who is looking to leave the country himself.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection declined multiple requests for comment on the boy’s story, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement also declined, saying the children had been in Border Patrol custody until they boarded a deportation flight operated by ICE.

Spokesmen for both agencies have refused to answer most questions about how they treat roughly 70,000 adults and children expelled under the emergency declaration issued in March. They have refused to say how they decide whether to expel children or where to detain them before expulsion, including in hotels where at least 150 unaccompanied children as young as 1 year old have been held.

Much of what’s known about expulsions has come from the accounts of children like the 12-year-old boy, who recounted his experience to The Associated Press last week with a recall of details that makes him seem older.

The AP is not identifying the boy, his sister, their mother or where their mother lives in the U.S. because of fears the children are still targeted by the people who killed their uncle.

Dr. Amy Cohen, executive director of the advocacy group Every Last One, interviewed the boy several times and said she found him credible based on her conversations with hundreds of other immigrant children.

“When he has an opportunity to exaggerate or embroider his story, he absolutely does not,” Cohen said. “And he is consistent with everyone he has talked to. There’s no sense that the story is rehearsed.”

Six children have died since 2018 after being detained by the Border Patrol, several in conditions that raised questions about how the agency treats children. The agency says it has instituted new medical checks and takes anyone determined to need additional care to a hospital.

Full Coverage: Immigration
Mark Morgan, the acting Customs and Border Protection commissioner, said Thursday that expulsions conducted under a section of U.S. public health law known as Title 42 were necessary to protect his agents. Morgan said 10 CBP employees have died after contracting COVID-19.

“There’s no doubt that Title 42 has prevented more tragic loss among our own workforce,” he said.

In court, meanwhile, the Trump administration has argued children it is seeking to expel are not entitled to protections under the Flores settlement, a 2-decade-old court agreement that sets standards for the detention of immigrant children.

The children’s uncle took them in three years ago after their mother fled with their older sister due to gang threats, according to the family.

It’s not clear who killed the uncle. But the boy said he remembers family members deciding not to have his uncle taken to the hospital because they feared they wouldn’t be able to afford to get his body out of the morgue.

The killing frightened the family. According to the boy, he was left alone in his uncle’s home with his sister to fend for themselves. The boy said he cooked meals for them with the beans and eggs left in the house.

Then, one day, he said, a man approached him outside the house, asked to see his phone and gave it back with a video saved on it. In the video, viewed by the AP, a masked man said the siblings’ names and warned: “You either join us and start working with us,” or end up like your uncle. The same day, someone left a note outside their home threatening them, he said.

“It reminded me of my uncle’s death,” he said. “I felt a lot of fear.”

They joined a large group of migrants leaving Honduras in hopes of reaching the U.S, he said. After the group split up in Guatemala, a man took him and his sister through Mexico and to the border.

Experts say MS-13 and other gangs often deliver death threats verbally, and migrant groups and routes through Mexico and Central America are known to be controlled by human smugglers who charge thousands of dollars per person. The boy’s mother says she doesn’t believe her son or any other relative paid a smuggler.

The siblings crossed the border around July 21 and were apprehended by Border Patrol agents, the boy said. Based on his description, it appears he and his sister were detained at the Border Patrol’s central processing center in McAllen, Texas, where children and adults are separated into large cages of chain-link fencing. Opened during the Obama administration, the same processing center was used two years ago to detain hundreds of parents and children separated by the Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy.

The boy said he was held in a cage with about 20 other boys his age and older. He was separated from his sister but could see her from a distance in another enclosure.

Once a day, someone took their temperatures, but the boy says he was never given a medical exam or a test to see if he had the virus. He said he wore a mask he brought with him from Honduras.

He was able to call his mother from custody once before he and his sister were expelled. The phone call she received was from a number in McAllen.

The next call the mother received was from an official in Honduras, a few days later, asking her to send a relative to pick her kids up from a shelter for deported children. That was how she learned they had been expelled, she said.

She sat recently in the trailer where she lives with family, including her elder daughter, now 16.

“I wanted something to be done and to be able to be calm, to know that my children are safe with me,” she said, crying. “No part of Honduras is safe.”

https://apnews.com/1144b498194cd6b6818acd04d7880e05

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
'Worst nightmare': Laid-off workers endure loss of $600 aid
« Reply #16827 on: August 07, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »

In this July 15, 2020, file photo, job seekers exercise social distancing as they wait to be called into the Heartland Workforce Solutions office in Omaha, Neb. The extra $600 in weekly unemployment benefits has expired, the federal eviction moratorium has ended and federal money to help businesses retain workers has grown lean.

An unemployed makeup artist with two toddlers and a disabled husband needs help with food and rent. A hotel manager says his unemployment has deepened his anxiety and kept him awake at night. A dental hygienist, pregnant with her second child, is struggling to afford diapers and formula.

Around the country, across industries and occupations, millions of Americans thrown out of work because of the coronavirus are straining to afford the basics now that an extra $600 a week in federal unemployment benefits has expired.

“My worst nightmare is coming true,” said Liz Ness, a laid-off recruiter at a New Orleans staffing agency who fears she will be evicted next month without the added help from Washington. “Summer 2020 could be next year’s horror movie.”

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill are struggling to work out an agreement that would restore some federal jobless aid. A marathon meeting in the Capitol on Thursday night generated lots of recriminations but little progress on the top issues confronting negotiators. Even if they do reach a deal, the amount is likely to be less than $600. And by the time the money starts flowing, it could be too late for many Americans who are already in dire straits

“Members of Congress may have the luxury to come to an agreement this week and vote next week and then roll it out over several weeks,” said Brian Gallagher, CEO of United Way Worldwide. “Families don’t have that luxury — they are out of money tomorrow.”

In the meantime, up to 30 million Americans, their jobs lost or income slashed by an outbreak that has paralyzed the economy and killed close to 160,000 people in the U.S., are trying to get by solely on state unemployment benefits, which on average are less than $400 a week.

On Thursday, the government said nearly 1.2 million laid-off Americans applied for unemployment last week. That is a decline from the previous week. Still, it was the 20th straight week that at least 1 million people sought jobless aid. Before the coronavirus, the number had never surpassed 700,000 in a single week.

The rescue package being worked out in Washington would contain more than $100 billion to help reopen schools, another round of $1,200 direct payments to most people, and hundreds of billions of dollars for state and local governments to help them avoid furloughing workers and cutting services as tax revenues shrivel.

Some Republicans in Congress argue that the extra $600 in unemployment benefits is so generous that it is discouraging people from going back to work. Several university studies have cast doubt on that. Economists and labor experts say that the benefits certain jobs carry, such as health care, can be enough for people to go back to work even if the pay is low.

Bethany Racobs-Ashford, the makeup artist with two small children, said the $600 had been a “lifeline.”

The 32-year-old Dallas resident was just entering the busy wedding season, when she typically earns the bulk of her income, when the outbreak struck, and she lost her job. Her state unemployment aid amounts to only about $828 a month.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do now,” she said.

Fearing eviction from their home, Racobs-Ashford and her family moved in with her 70-year-old mother. She worries about taking on a new job that could compromise her family’s health.

Jackilyn Lopez of Tucson, Arizona, said the $600 had been a “godsend” for her family since she lost her job as a hygienist in March, when most dental practices shut down. She and her husband have an 18-month old daughter, and Lopez is due to give birth in three weeks.

Her employer has reopened but has yet to recall Lopez. She feels fortunate that her husband has kept his job as an assembly worker at a laser manufacturer. But Lopez, 30, just received her first weekly unemployment check without the $600, and it was only $213.

“Our groceries are more than that each week, with the diapers and formula,” she said.

Food banks, pantries and other safety net organizations report soaring demand from people in need. Charitable groups worry the problem will worsen with the end of the $600 and the expiration of coronavirus-era moratoriums on evictions.

Up to 23 million renters nationwide are at risk of being evicted by the end of September, according to COVID-19 Eviction Defense Project, a coalition of economic researchers and legal experts.

“We are going to have tens of millions of families not just in desperate need, but they are going to be out of their home, and it’s going to be catastrophic,” the United Way's Gallagher said.

United Way, which runs the 211 network, a service that connects the needy with help, typically receives 11 million calls a year. This year, it foresees 20 million calls.

The Greater Boston Food Bank, one of the nation’s largest food banks and a supplier for hundreds of pantries, soup kitchens and senior centers, said it is seeing the highest demand in its 40-year history. Many people are seeking help for the first time.

So far, food banks and pantries that rely heavily on donations say giving has been strong since the outbreak hit.

In Florida, whose tourism industry has been pummeled, 38-year-old John Brenner of Plantation lost his position as a hotel manager and has been out of work for four months. Florida’s weekly unemployment aid is capped at $275 a week, so “I’m quite reliant on that extra $600,” he said.

“The anxiety the Senate is giving me isn’t helping much,’’ Brenner said.

____

This story has been corrected to show that Lopez is expecting her second child, not her third.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/My-worst-nightmare-Laid-workers-endure-loss-of-15464324.php

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Soucheray: And our ability to reason is swept away
« Reply #16828 on: August 08, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »
It now develops that wearing a mask to safeguard against the coronavirus is not enough. Dr. Anthony Fauci said that wearing goggles or eye shields would also help.

“Theoretically,” Fauci told ABC News in an interview, “you should protect all the mucosal surfaces, so if you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it.”

Mucosal surfaces are the nose, mouth and eyes. Fauci is not lobbying to mandate such a thing. He is merely pointing out that an airborne virus can enter the body through any of the mucosal openings.

I’ll give it a shot. I have a variety of goggles left over from the days when I routinely used a bench grinder to polish motorcycle bits or grind something down that didn’t fit. I also have a respirator mask from the days of frequent varnishing. I am used to all of these accoutrements, I just never thought I would take the whole costume out into the public looking like a large unearthly insect.

It will not come to pass, of course. We are a country divided about even wearing a simple mask. Every day there seems to be a viral video of a non-masker screaming obscenities at a masker or a masker screaming obscenities at a non-masker.

We have gone completely mad, you know. It could be the Samer Theory. I was made aware of the Samer Theory several years ago when a fellow told me his friend, Samer, then in the military in some capacity as an electrical equipment expert, warned people that we were all going bananas because of all the radiation in the air. Cellphones in particular, Samer theorized, were causing people to suffer incremental brain damage.

Makes sense to me. Something has to explain an almost universal meltdown over a virus invading our shores, which viruses have done throughout our history. Why is this one different? The Samer Theory would suggest that this virus is different because it arrived at a time when all our electric devices have been in use long enough now to have made us goofy and unpredictable.

I’ll give you a personal example which I am hesitant to admit, but will do so as possible corroboration of Samer’s concern.

The other day, I masked up and went to the hardware store to get a tube of construction-grade glue and a caulking gun. Years ago, in the goggle and bench-grinder days, I did dozens and dozens of caulking jobs, mostly on the old boats I used to work on. When I got home, I glanced at the instructions and noted that I was to puncture the inner seal. Of course. I could do this with my eyes closed.

Inexplicably, I punched a hole in the top of the tube, but not through the spout! I had even cut the tip of the spout as I had done a million times! I thought it odd, but presumed I was to provide the tube some relief from air pressure. I put that baby in the caulking gun and off I went to my project, which was to glue down the end of a railing cap that had started to lift.

You know perfectly well what happened. When I pulled the trigger, the glue just burped through the hole I had punched in the tube, but not through the spout! It was one fine mess and made me realize instantly that I had taken leave of my senses. I have a pretty good knack around the garage, but that dropped me from a 10 on the knack scale to zero. It was tantamount to filling the back seat with gas, ignoring the fuel door.

I do not wonder lightly if such a complete lack of sense is a COVID symptom. More likely, it was an example of the Samer Theory. I would submit that maskers and non-maskers yelling at each other in stores is a momentary lapse of reason no different than my failure to properly prepare a tube of glue.

What the hell is happening to us?

https://www.twincities.com/2020/08/01/soucheray-and-our-ability-to-reason-is-swept-away/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Examples of being "swept away"
« Reply #16829 on: August 08, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »