AuthorTopic: Knarf's Knewz Channel  (Read 1943101 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Trump Admin Pushes Oil Drilling In National Forests
« Reply #17115 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »
The Trump administration took the wraps off a new rule that will make it easier to drill for oil and gas in national forests. At a time when communities are suffering from dirty air and the dangers of a warming planet — from wildfires and heat waves to hurricanes and derechos — we cannot afford to transform critical carbon sinks into drilling sites that threaten our health and collective future.

The Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest in Montana contains areas that could be more easily opened to oil and gas drilling due to this proposed rule. U.S. Forest Service

For more than 50 years, robust public participation in management of the National Forest System has resulted in the conservation of critical ecosystems and priceless natural resources. Because of the myriad uses of these 193 million acres spanning 47 states, a wide array of stakeholders have a strong interest in preserving the economic, spiritual, recreational, and environmental value of these forests and grasslands. And preserving these values for the future prosperity and well-being of all isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s commanded by the law governing their management.

The potential for conflict between these uses—especially development related to logging and mining versus recreational uses or conservation uses—has yielded robust debate for decades about the most prudent uses of these vast stretches of land. The new rule, however, seeks to shut the public out of that debate in order to serve the interests of the fossil fuel industry, one of the most destructive industries on the planet. Historically, fossil fuel extraction has had a limited presence on national forest land: as of 2019, only 2.7 percent of the entire acreage of the National Forest System had been leased for uses by the oil, gas, coal, and geothermal industries. Today’s proposal threatens to speed up giveaways of National Forest lands while short-circuiting environmental review.

The most concerning changes that the rule makes to longstanding U.S. Forest Service practices relating to oil and gas leasing have to do with eliminating critical environmental reviews, quashing public participation, and removing important Forest Service oversight. In particular, the rule:

Alters the process the Forest Service uses to consent to the Bureau of Land Management offering oil and gas leases on Forest Service lands. The new rule requires the Forest Service to give the Bureau consent prior to conducting site-specific environmental reviews required under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), even when existing environmental analyses are outdated.
    Eliminates the Forest Service’s current review process for specific lands being offered for lease, in which the Forest Service determines whether NEPA has been adequately addressed and whether leasing is consistent with the Forest Service’s management plans.
    Removes the requirement that the Bureau of Land Management confirm the Forest Service’s consent prior to starting a lease sale, making it more difficult for the Forest Service to stop harmful lease sales.
    Eliminates the requirement of public notice, and the opportunity for public comment, of the decision to approve the plan an oil and gas driller would follow — known as a Surface Use Plan of Operations — when developing a drilling site.
    Eliminates the requirement that the Forest Service review the environmental consequences of drilling operations before approving a surface use plan.
    Gives drilling operators the right to request unlimited extensions to deadlines to fix violations of  terms of the Forest Service’s management plans, even when those violations are the result of negligence or misconduct.

When combined with the Trump administration’s NEPA rollbacks, the new rule will speed up oil and gas drilling on Forest Service lands while reducing transparency and curtailing environmental review.

While the rule will affect forests across the country, forests across the Interior West could see some of the biggest changes. By compiling reports from the Bureau of Land Management, the Wilderness Society and Rocky Mountain Wild have mapped the forests in Colorado, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah where there is known oil and gas potential. As of this writing, these forests and grasslands include:

Arapahoe, Medicine Bow, Routt, Gunnison, Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, White River, Pike, San Juan, Rio Grande, Comanche, and Pawnee in Colorado;
    Beaverhead, Deerlodge, Custer, Gallatin, and Helena in Montana;
    Humboldt-Toiyabe in Nevada;
    Santa Fe, Carson, Cibola, Gila, Lincoln, and Kiowa in New Mexico;
    Ashley, Wasatch, Uinta, Cache, Manti-La Sal, Fishlake, and Dixie—representing every national forest in Utah.

Many of these forests are near Tribal lands and include the traditional territory of Indigenous Peoples, raising added concerns that this rule will further undermine Indigenous interests and sovereignty as it undercuts public input on land management decisions.

The West is far from the only region likely to be affected. National forests in Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, and Kentucky, for example, overlay extensive known oil and gas deposits and contain several hundred production sites. For example, the nearby Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania, which overlays privately-owned minerals and has been subject to extensive drilling, paints a stark picture of what any push to sell off federal rights to oil and gas resources could do to national forests elsewhere in the country. Further south, national forests in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana have all been identified in past analyses as having potential for oil and gas development.

At the end of the day, this rule represents another example in the long list of irresponsible federal land management choices that have become a hallmark of the Trump administration. In the face of intersecting crises related to biodiversity loss, climate change, and the onset of a global pandemic, the administration has barreled ahead with selling off rights to public lands to the oil and gas industry.

In doing so, they are exacerbating growing environmental catastrophes that require land managers to essentially take the exact opposite course. This moment requires ecosystem rehabilitation and recovery, an end to fossil fuel extraction, and the conservation of natural forests. Allowing more fossil fuel drilling with less public review threatens the future of these landscapes that people across this continent have relied on for thousands of years.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/01/trump-admin-pushes-oil-drilling-in-national-forests/
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: HUGE change is upon us all!
« Reply #17116 on: September 23, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »
                                                                                                                                        NECROCAPITALISM

Necrocapitalism: a form of capitalism where a country's trade and industry are founded on, linked to and dependent directly or indirectly on death and the profits accruing from it. ... Since then, necrocapitalism has evolved to denote wider practices of the current capitalist model.

For the last week I have worked on a new blog site named "NECROCAPITALISM". Most all the extreme collapse in our world is due to this phenomena. On the new blog I have gathered many articles ( not newz ) that are directly related to the Plutocracy that directs the distribution of resources to favor the wealthy at the expense of human well being.

I check the diner everyday ( and will continue to do so ) to get a feel for where it is heading and join in discussions when I can add something to them. @ RE...Hopefully the worst of your treatment has passed. (Colonoscopies SUCK ). I hope it won't be long before you can return home, and continue the life you want.

Please take a look at the new blog at http://openmind693.wordpress.com
Feel free to comment on the posts, and suggest other pertinent information regarding this travesty...especially the last one "SOLUTIONS?"

There is another blog by the same name but this is no big deal in this menu since they have separate tool-tips.  I manipulate this map of links daily and now you are in my system.  I may do something fancy to feature you better later.  Right now you are in a place on  my page for me to use.  I read Catlin Johnstone which is on the next menu up frequently.

I have been busy with my page lately.  https://chasingthesquirrel.com/
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE change is upon us all!
« Reply #17117 on: September 23, 2020, 10:16:29 AM »

There is another blog by the same name but this is no big deal in this menu since they have separate tool-tips.  I manipulate this map of links daily and now you are in my system.  I may do something fancy to feature you better later.  Right now you are in a place on  my page for me to use.  I read Catlin Johnstone which is on the next menu up frequently.

I have been busy with my page lately.  https://chasingthesquirrel.com/

Your website is fantastic K-Dog! Great work...it is extremely comprehensive, and your posts are very well written and spot on. I appreciate you adding my simple blog to your list of relevant sites!!
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Psychopath-in-Chief
« Reply #17118 on: September 24, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
"Trump reminds me of my dad, the serial killer," Kerri Rawson writes.

“I THINK I have the best temperament or certainly one of the best temperaments of anybody that’s ever run for the office of president. Ever. I’ve been nice, but after watching that performance last night, such lies, I don’t have to be so nice anymore. I’m taking the gloves off, right, yes? Just remember this, Trump is going to be no more Mr. Nice Guy.”

“Normally, I’m a pretty nice guy. I’m sorry, but I am. You know, I’ve raised kids, had a wife, you know, president of the Church, been in Scouts. It goes on and on. But, yeah, I have in mean streak in me, so. And it occasionally flares up, takes control.”

After nearly four years of living under the sniveling pandering of Donald John Trump, the former quote is easily recognizable. The latter? Belongs to my dad, Dennis Rader, whom I lived with for 26 years, carefully treading around his ever-changing tempers, moods, and whims, as if navigating littered broken eggshells. As he says in the quote, Dad is a father of two, was a husband for 34 years, a Scout leader and church president—and the BTK (Bind, Torture, Kill) serial killer.

I grew up idolizing my dad, toddling after him, my little hand clinging to his rough calloused one, gardening, fishing, camping. As a young adult, I hiked next to him for a week in the depths of the Grand Canyon, encouraging each other on. Six years after that, he, nearly in tears, walked me down the aisle. I often called him my best friend. He taught me about life, inner strength, and doing the right thing. He embraced me in bear hugs, taught me how to wrap a fishing line, and uproaringly fun, sent me crowd surfing at college football games.

Yet on bad days, Dad came home moody and dark, raging like a storm, demanding control: rigid obedience. Dad expected my brother and me to toe the line, and we knew at a young age to rarely ever cross it. Early on, I learned how to dodge and manage him by watching my mom: take the blame, apologize quick—let him have his way. He punched emotional and verbally abusive holes into me that I will never fully recover from. He attempted to strangle my young adult brother in front of Mom and me—twice. We knew he could be a brute, but we thought that was the worst of it. We had no idea that we’d spent three decades living with a serial killer. He lived every day of his life with us as a lie. He betrayed us, and ultimately destroyed his family, his last victims.

In 1974, Dad murdered four members of a family, including two children. After that, he murdered six more women. He lived a double life for 31 years, until finally, trapped within his own narcissistic follies, he was caught by law enforcement, pleading guilty in 2005 to ten counts of murder. He’s currently serving a life sentence of 175 years in solitary confinement in a maximum-security Kansas prison.

Dad had been locked away 11 years by the time 2016 and the rising Republican spectacle hit. At first I watched it with detached humor, but that quickly changed to aghast horror, as I realized Trump was a serious contender. Recogizing what Trump was, I became rolling ill to the pits of my stomach.

Trump was Dad. Dad was Trump.

Trump wasn’t just a corrupt, immoral, piss poor choice for any leader, let alone the highest office in the world—he was extremely dangerous, a threat to every living person on this planet; they needed to be warned.

I took up my cause to social media, especially Facebook, where I had long friendships, some going back decades, with many conservative Evangelicals who voted Republican. I knew I was up against “family values,” but I also knew these were good people who knew my story and knew what my dad was. I assumed they would listen to me. I was sadly mistaken. I got called a “lib,” rejected over my support of the LGBTQ community, berated for my pro-choice stances, and overwhelming was told: “No way am I voting for that lady.”

In the fall of 2016, it became clear that not only was Trump a serial philanderer, but also a sexual assailant and rapist, possibly even of under aged children. When the “grab the p” tapes came out, I couldn’t imagine anyone actually voting for him, let alone the “family value” folks. But in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, while taking in the fall colors, my family passed many large red and white “Make America Great Again” signs, thumbing their noses at us. Fear crept up—our country was in trouble. Not long after, I sat stunned on election night, tears rolling down my face as the white map turned red. They, my beloved friends, had held those thumbed noses and voted Trump.

The first winter after the election, I fell into depression. It didn’t seem real. How could this vile man have been chosen to lead our great country and the greater free world? How could my fellow countrymen have voted for him? Was I the only one who saw him for what he is? I was alone, stumbling, lost in the dark.

I’ve been waiting every day since that night on the couch, tears pooling, for the immense travesty of Donald Trump to be rectified. It’s not just as we have come to learn now, that a mobbed-up criminal and his minions have been installed into the White House by our enemies; it’s that a pathological liar, a malignant narcissist, a psychopath is leading the free world.

Trump is Dad and Dad is Trump.

“I can barely stand to listen to Trump speak.” I’ve heard it over and over from survivors of abuse, especially those who have survived living under a sadistic narcissist. I’ve felt the same way since 2016. If you line up quotes of my dad’s and Trump’s next to each other, I would have a hard time telling them apart.

“With the Oteros and Bright, all of the males were put down quickly (or I tried to) before I prepared the females. If during my crime run, a male happened to be there or to come in, he would be killed very quickly.” —Dennis Rader, Confession of a Serial Killer

“If he can in any way profit from your death, he’ll facilitate it, and then he’ll ignore the fact that you died.” —Mary Trump, Too Much and Never Enough

Dad gets off on stalking, torturing, and murdering people: your mothers, sisters, daughters, brothers, husbands, sons. The older textbooks call him a Sexual Sadistic Psychopath; the newer ones talk about NPD: Narcissistic Personality Disorder; ASPD: Antisocial Personality Disorder; and Sadism.

Trump’s niece, Mary Trump, a clinical psychologist, writes in Too Much and Never Enough: “I have no problem calling Donald a narcissist—he meets all nine criteria as outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), but the label gets us only so far.” Mary goes on to say that “a case could be made that [Donald] also meets the criteria for antisocial personality disorder, which in its most severe form is generally considered sociopathy but can also refer to chronic criminality, arrogance, and disregard for the rights of others.”

“They could ID me. I wore no mask. I felt like leaving them as they were, but something Dark told me to murder them.”  —Dennis Rader, Confession of a Serial Killer

Trump admitted to Bob Woodward on March 19 that he deliberately minimized the danger. ‘I wanted to always play it down,’ the president said. ‘I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.’”

In their final interview, on July 21, Trump vented to Woodward: ‘The virus has nothing to do with me. It’s not my fault.’”

“If Bob Woodward thought what I said was bad then he should have immediately, right after I said it, gone out to the authorities so they can prepare.” —Donald Trump, 9/10/20

A bully, abuser, predator, sadist, narcissist, psychopath, sociopath: choose your word for what my dad is, what Trump is. They want to blame anyone other than themselves for their horrific choices. My father stood in court in front of surviving family members and blamed the victims that he murdered for their own deaths. Trump, with his passive inaction, or intentional total disregard for human life, has so bungled the covid response that he now has over 200 thousand American deaths on his hands, yet wants to blame the journalist who interviewed him.

Forensic psychiatrist Bandy Lee, author of The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, writes, “We are facing a democide of genocidal proportions, because we have handed power to someone who is anti-human in psychology. When criminality combines with mental pathology, this kind of large-scale violence becomes possible. This bottomless need to place his own psychic survival above any protection of the public should rather be a warning. This means he would be equally inclined to destroy the nation or the world—which he has the power to do—if he were to feel humiliated from the loss of an election, for example.”

Trump isn’t insane, and I’m not sure he’s suffering from dementia, either. He’s in control of what he wants you to see, where and when—it’s all a big game. Why are we not catching predators like my dad quicker, and why has no one put Trump behind bars yet? One reason: they hide right next to us. They blend well, function more highly than we expect, and they can stop; they have gaps. Another key reason: they have the ability to express and feel a wide range of normal human emotion. At least in the case of my father: love and empathy.

People can’t swallow that a murderer of children can love. So they dismiss it, narrowly placing someone like my father into one category. When they do this, they miss his true modus operandi, skipping over suspects. Dad was never looked at once in 31 years, until a week before his arrest.

It’s not that someone like my father has no ability to have empathy or love, it’s that he has the ability to turn the switch off. Thus, he easily crosses moral lines that most folks would never come near. In my father’s words, he “cubes.” Switching and controlling personas, what he wants you to see and how he decides to interact. He mimics and mirrors what he thinks you want to see. But under the infinite cube of masks is a real person with a range of true emotions. That’s who we need to study and learn, so we can stop them from causing so much harm.

“Donald’s failings cannot be hidden or ignored because they threaten us all.” —Mary Trump, Too Much and Never Enough

As we near the election, I expect Trump to continue to ramp up his insanity, pushing what he can to continue to capture his diminishing base. A cornered predator has little to lose. As the enormous strain of being near the end of being useful as a bought-out chaos agent by our enemies, and with the protections of being the President soon to be lifted, I expect Trump to become more and more unstable, vile, and dangerous. We must stay on vigilant watch, continuing to call him out on his lies.

Abusers like my dad and Trump insist on loyalty, allegiance, control; they will go to great lengths to pound these demands into those around them. They want to cut us off, make us feel alone, afraid, stumbling around in the dark, or worse, to give up entirely. They derive pleasure and power from our pain, and if we die in the process, so much the better.

Almost four years later, I can still feel the hopelessness of election night and the dark, empty months after. Yet even on our darkest days, like the 2017 Charlottesville riots, hope can be found if you look hard enough. That awful night, I found myself online searching for answers, and ran into like-minded Resistance folks. Their fight for what is right and just lifted my spirits. Over the past years, we’ve fought hard to hold the blue line: truth, justice, law, and light win out.

The election is six weeks from today. The fate of our country, its people, and the world lie in our hands. Joe Biden is an honest, decent man, with decades of experience. Biden, along with Kamala Harris, and their solid, experienced team can right this wayward ship before it’s too late. Don’t choose four more years under the jackboots of our oppressor.

Now is the time to choose our destiny: life, liberty, and the right to pursue happiness. Your well being, the well being of your children, and their children, depend on you making the right choice. We can take back our country and our lives, but we must decide to do it together. United, standing on the line of truth, our abusers stand no chance against us. Join me, let’s lock arms, and take back what’s rightfully, lawfully ours.

https://gregolear.substack.com/p/psychopath-in-chief

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Billionaire Ray Dalio Says Capital Markets Are No Longer ‘Free Markets’
« Reply #17119 on: September 24, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3IGP03REEXQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3IGP03REEXQ&fs=1</a>

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
A Homeland Security spokesperson said Wolf was unaware of the contracts until contacted by the media. Wolf's Senate confirmation hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf during the Republican National Convention at the White House on Aug. 27.

The consulting firm where the wife of acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf is an executive has been awarded more than $6 million in contracts from the Department of Homeland Security since September 2018, according to records on the federal government website USA Spending.

Wolf became chief of staff at the Transportation Security Administration, a DHS agency, in 2017 and chief of staff to Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen in 2018. He took over as acting secretary in November and has been nominated to become secretary. His confirmation hearing before the Senate is scheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday,

Wolf's wife, Hope Wolf, is vice president of professional staff operations at Berkeley Research Group, a consulting firm. Although the company has a long history of federal contracts, it did not do work for DHS until after Wolf became the TSA's chief of staff in 2017.

A DHS spokesperson said Wolf was not aware of the contracts until he was contacted by the media.

"At no time in any of his positions since joining DHS has Acting Secretary Wolf been involved in awarding any contracts," the spokesperson said. "Even if he were involved with the procurement process for this particular contract, which he was not, he would have had to recuse himself due to even the appearance of impropriety."

Kyle Herrig, founder and president of Accountable.US, a left-leaning watchdog group, said the $6 million in contracts may be a conflict of interest.

"After Mr. Wolf joined DHS, it began pumping millions of dollars into his wife's firm, which also happens to be his largest financial asset," Herrig said. "The arrangement is highly problematic and warrants congressional scrutiny."

Berkeley Research Group declined to comment.

According to USA Spending, Berkeley Research Group's contracts with DHS are for "Information Technology Software," but it is not known what specific software was provided or to what component of DHS.

During his confirmation hearing, Wolf is likely to be asked about his role in the Trump administration's zero tolerance policy, which separated migrant parents and children in 2018; sending federal agents to protests in Portland, Oregon; and a whistleblower's complaint that DHS intentionally downplayed Russia's interference in the coming presidential election.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/dhs-awarded-6-million-contracts-firm-where-acting-secretary-wolf-n1240773

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
DOJ Designates New York City as an ‘Anarchist Jurisdiction'
« Reply #17121 on: September 24, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
The designation comes after a memo from President Trump earlier this month threatening to cut off federal funds for cities

New York City is one of three places that "have permitted violence and destruction of property to persist and have refused to undertake reasonable measures to counteract criminal activities," leading to its designation as an "anarchist jurisdiction," the Justice Department said Monday.

Rather than idle words, the designation has potential financial consequences. President Trump issued a memo earlier this month directing the DOJ to identify jurisdictions that, in its view, were not enforcing the law appropriately. Designated cities could lose their federal funding.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo minced no words in responding to the DOJ assessment.

“I understand the politics, but when you try to manipulate and distort government agencies to play politics, which is what the Trump administration has done from day one … this is more of the same," Cuomo said on a conference call with reporters. “The president can’t supersede the law and say I’m going to make those funds basically discretionary funds, which is what he would have to do.”

“If they actually do this, we will challenge it legally, and they will lose once again," he added.

Trump's Sept. 2 order gives the director of the Office of Management and Budget 30 days to issue guidance to federal agencies on restricting eligibility for federal grants for the cities on the DOJ list. Such grants make up a huge portion of NYC's already strapped annual budget -- more than $7 billion in fiscal 2021 alone, or 7.5% of the city's projected total revenue.

In justifying its decision, the DOJ cited New York City's rising gun violence, cuts to the NYPD's budget, and moves by various district attorneys not to prosecute charges related to protests earlier this summer. Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington were also hit with the same designation.

“We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance. It is my hope that the cities identified by the Department of Justice today will reverse course and become serious about performing the basic function of government and start protecting their own citizens," Attorney General William Barr said in a statement.

Both the city and the state have previously threatened to sue the federal government over the possible DOJ classification, which Mayor Bill de Blasio reiterated Monday. De Blasio, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler and Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan issued a joint statement Monday afternoon blasting Trump.

"This is thoroughly political and unconstitutional. The President is playing cheap political games with Congressionally directed funds," they said in a statement, blasting what they called "recklessness and partisanship from the White House."

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/doj-designates-new-york-city-as-an-anarchist-jurisdiction/2627588/

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Billionaire Ray Dalio Says Capital Markets Are No Longer ‘Free Markets’
« Reply #17122 on: September 24, 2020, 10:01:53 AM »
They never were.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Breonna Taylor Update: Denver Police Detain Man After Car Plows Through Protest
« Reply #17123 on: September 24, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »

People protest the grand jury decision in the Breonna Taylor case in front of the Colorado state Capitol in Denver on Wednesday. As the protest was breaking up, a motorist drove through a small crowd of protesters who had yelled at the driver to turn around.

Denver police detained a man after a vehicle plowed through a crowd of people demonstrating for justice in the Breonna Taylor case. The protesters were gathered near the Colorado state Capitol. Some of them had blocked the vehicle, which then sped away.

The incident, which came as people were leaving a large protest, was caught on video by Denver Post reporter Shelly Bradbury. Her recording shows a small group of people were thronged around a silver Volvo SUV, which abruptly accelerated, sending at least one woman to the ground and running over her bicycle.

"The person who was hit, Kate, said she is not badly hurt. Her wrist is scraped up," Bradbury said via Twitter.

"A car hits protester moments after we started to disperse," activist and Denver School Board member Tay Anderson said on Twitter.

In response to that tweet, state Rep. Leslie Herod asked Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and District Attorney Beth McCann if the motorist would face any repercussions.

Other footage from the scene shows that as the Volvo drove up to the area of Broadway and Colfax Avenue, protesters began blocking his path, shouting for him to turn around. The driver stopped and rolled down his window to yell back and forth with members of the crowd, as the tense situation escalated.

The Volvo sped off, but the Denver Police Department later announced, "One male has been detained."

The protesters had been part of a larger group that marched through Denver's streets Wednesday night, voicing outrage over the decision to indict only one of the three Louisville, Ky., police officers who played a role in the shooting death of Taylor in March. The officer was charged with three counts of wanton endangerment over shooting into neighboring apartments.

Several U.S. cities have seen clashes between drivers and protesters this summer, as people took to the streets in support of racial justice and against police brutality.

"It's at least the third time a driver has struck someone during a protest in Denver this year," the Denverite site reports. "On May 28, the first day of local protests over George Floyd's death, a driver hit a protester. Days later, another driver struck three officers and a bystander at a protest over racism and police brutality."

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/09/24/916450963/breonna-taylor-update-denver-police-detain-man-after-car-plows-through-protest-a

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
How Trump Is Planning on Winning the Election No Matter What
« Reply #17124 on: September 24, 2020, 10:24:38 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TlcO9_0KWIo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TlcO9_0KWIo&fs=1</a>

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
US Top Supplier of Arms in the Middle East
« Reply #17125 on: September 25, 2020, 07:29:25 AM »
US and European allies supply about 75% of the weapons in the region

A new report from the Center for International Policy (CIP) found that from 2015 to 2019, the US was the number one supplier of weapons in the Middle East and North Africa, supplying 48 percent of the region’s arms. Combining the US arms with its European allies, the Western countries provided nearly three-quarters of the weapons used in the area for that period.

The US was the top weapons supplier by a wide margin, with Russia coming in second at 17 percent. The next four leading suppliers were France with 11 percent, the UK at five percent, Germany at five percent, and China trailed behind exporting three percent of the region’s weapons.

The top recipient for weapons exports was Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom received 30 percent of the weapons transferred to the region. Seventy-four percent of the arms sold to Saudi Arabia came from the US, who is the top provider of weapons for all the Gulf countries.

The CIP study said that proponents for these arms sales describe them as “a force for stability, a way to cement alliances, a way to counter Iran, or, more generally, as a tool for creating a balance of power that makes conflict less likely.”

While US officials invoke the Iranian threat to justify arms sales to countries like Saudi Arabia and the UAE, the reality is, these weapons are mostly used to kill civilians in Yemen and end up in the hands of groups like al-Qaeda.

Besides Yemen, US arms have fueled wars in countries all across the region, in Libya, Egypt, Iraq, and Syria, to name a few. The study found that US arms often end up in the hands of opposing sides in these conflicts.

https://news.antiwar.com/2020/09/24/report-us-top-supplier-of-arms-in-the-middle-east/

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Judge Rules Tucker Carlson Is Not a Credible Source of News
« Reply #17126 on: September 25, 2020, 07:35:03 AM »

A federal judge, on Thursday, dismissed a defamation case against self-styled Fox News instigator, Tucker Carlson. The case was brought by former Playboy model Karen McDougal, who alleged she had a 10-month affair with Donald Trump after meeting him in 2006 and subsequently sold her story a decade later to the National Enquirer. Though the tabloid never ran the story, it was later made public that the publication engaged in “catch and kill” to suppress a number of skeletons in Trump’s closet. When the story was revealed, McDougal alleged that Fox News host Tucker Carlson defamed her when discussing it on air in Dec. 2018, telling his viewers that McDougal was soliciting a “ransom” in what “sounds like a classic case of extortion” of the now-president and that she “approached Donald Trump and threatened to ruin his career and humiliate his family if he doesn’t give them money.” McDougal said that Carlson and the network that airs him damaged her reputation by broadcasting those falsehoods and sought monetary damages.

Defamation suits are difficult to prove and prosecute, in part, because broad swaths of speech, particularly speech that can claim to be political speech, have sweeping protections under the First Amendment. When the New York Times reported on the suit in December, Lyrissa Lidsky, an expert in defamation law and the dean of the University of Missouri School of Law, said “the case against Fox News could come down to whether a reasonable viewer would think Mr. Carlson was accusing Ms. McDougal of a crime.”

Do Fox News viewers think Tucker Carlson tells them the truth? Are they, in fact, reasonable? The federal judge Mary Kay Vyskocil, who herself was appointed to the federal bench by Trump nine months ago, dismissed the case citing Carlson’s First Amendment protections. That is, Vyskocil bought the argument Fox News was pushing that Carlson is, first and foremost, not a provider of “the news” as we know it, or “facts” as we commonly understand them, and his audience knows this. They’re apparently in on the gag. Fox News doesn’t label Carlson’s speech parody because that’s embarrassing for a company with the word “News” in its name to admit; it’s not factual journalism because that implies some responsibility for the credibility of the information that you spew; instead, Fox News lawyers claim, Carlson is not “stating actual facts” but simply engaging in “non-literal commentary.” I couldn’t have described Carlson or Fox News better myself.

From Vyskocil’s opinion:

[In] the context of “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” the Court finds that Mr. Carlson’s invocation of “extortion” against Ms. McDougal is nonactionable hyperbole, intended to frame the debate in the guest commentator segment that followed Mr. Carlson’s soliloquy. As Defendant notes, Mr. Carlson himself aims to “challenge political correctness and media bias.” This “general tenor” of the show should then inform a viewer that he is not “stating actual facts” about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in “exaggeration” and “non-literal commentary”… Given Mr. Carlson’s reputation, any reasonable viewer ‘arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism’…”

In other words, “any reasonable viewer” doesn’t actually believe what Tucker Carlson is saying to be true. It is therefore unreasonable to take what Tucker Carlson says as truth. Good note, judge.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/judge-rules-fox-news-tucker-carlson-not-source-of-news-defamation-suit-mcdougal-trump.html

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Greta Thunberg and youth climate protests make a return
« Reply #17127 on: September 25, 2020, 07:45:20 AM »

Teenage environmental activist Greta Thunberg is back. She joined fellow demonstrators outside the Swedish Parliament on Friday to kick off a day of socially distanced global climate protests.

“The main hope is, as always, to try to have an impact on the level of awareness and public opinion so that people will start becoming more aware,” the 17-year-old told reporters.

The coronavirus outbreak has prevented the Fridays for Future movement that Thunberg inspired from holding its mass rallies in recent months, lowering its public profile.

Thunberg started her solo protests outside Sweden’s parliament in Stockholm on Aug. 20, 2018. Students around the world soon began following her lead, staging regular large protests, and she was invited to speak to political and business leaders at U.N. conferences and the annual World Economic Forum in Davos.

Thunberg’s blunt words to presidents and prime ministers, peppered with scientific facts about the need to urgently cut greenhouse gas emissions, have won her praise and awards, but also the occasional criticism and even death threats.

They demand that lawmakers stick to the 2015 landmark Paris climate deal that asks both rich and poor countries to take action to curb the rise in global temperatures that is melting glaciers, raising sea levels and shifting rainfall patterns. It requires governments to present national plans to reduce emissions in order to limit global temperature rise to well below 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

Thousands of primarily young protesters took to the streets of cities across Germany as part of the Friday for Future protests demanding for more to be done to fight climate change.

In the German capital, thousands rallied outside the landmark Brandenburg Gate despite heavy rain. Many, including local activist Luisa Neubauer, wore masks printed with the words “not another degree.” Elsewhere in Berlin, cyclists rode past the main train station and through downtown in a separate protest.

Outside Frankfurt City Hall, demonstrators held signs with slogans like “Environmental protection, not capitalism,” and “If you breathe air, you should care.”

One young woman held a poster of an ostrich with its head stuck in the ground and its posterior on fire. The poster’s slogan read, “Burying your head in the sand won’t help, your butt will still get hot.”

Thousands more took part in demonstrations in Bonn, Aachen, Cologne and elsewhere as part of some 450 registered protests across Germany.

During an earlier protest in the Arctic, British climate activist and ornithologist Mya-Rose Craig, stood on a piece of ice broken off from the ice cap.

The 18-year-old bird lover and founder of the non-profit Black2Nature said she believes it’s the most northerly climate strike ever. Her group encourages inner-city children from black and ethnic minority backgrounds to explore nature.

“Being on a tiny ice floe like this and just floating in the middle of a sea of slush has really just reminded me how delicate the Arctic is,” she said Sunday from north of the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard.

“I think the youth strike movement is amazing because it’s brought so much energy to the anti-climate change movement where suddenly hundreds of thousands of young people around the world have a voice and they’re using it.”

___

The story has been corrected to give the date of the Arctic protest as Sunday.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-climate-climate-change-environment-sweden-dcbcd6c09a8830c169dd89a41bd29c07?utm_campaign=Hot%20News&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=96037270&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-83donfphiXGS9Lhro4af-tEZYlxibJwf0KUnhaePGxWF0o00CMDLXP5RWGuvXnO6GXxjDQlfBdGsiYZlvJm4aHuksZtQ&utm_content=96037270&utm_source=hs_email

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The U.S. ‘War on Terror’ Has Displaced 37 Million People
« Reply #17128 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:58 AM »
Over the last week, considerable debate arose around a calculation I helped produce showing that the wars the U.S. government has fought since the attacks of September 11, 2001, have forced at least 37 million people — and perhaps as many as 59 million — to flee their homes.

As a co-author of the underlying report, produced for Brown University’s Costs of War Project, I was encouraged by the attention in the media — which ranged from the New York Times to Fox News — because it has generated interest in the millions of people displaced by the U.S. “global war on terror.” My American University co-authors and I note that no one inside or outside the U.S. government has previously calculated how many people these wars have displaced.

The report conservatively estimates that eight of the most violent “counterterror” wars the U.S. government has engaged in since 9/11 — in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, the Philippines, Somalia, Syria and Yemen — have produced 8 million refugees and 29 million internally displaced people. The 37 million total displaced is more than those displaced by any war since at least the start of the 20th century, except World War II.

Critiques of the report centered around the degree to which the U.S. government is responsible for displacement in all eight of these countries.

People agreed that the George W. Bush administration launched the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. However, some have said that the other countries we include in our estimate — Libya, Pakistan, the Philippines, Somalia, Syria, and Yemen — are incredibly complex conflicts in which the U.S. government has been a less central combatant, making it hard to say what role, if any, the U.S. government has played in creating displacement.

Yet the purpose of our report is not to assess relative responsibility for displacement among different actors. Our report says clearly, “We are not suggesting the U.S. government or the United States as a country is solely responsible for the displacement.” The Taliban, Iraqi Sunni and Shia militias, the Islamic State, Al Qaeda, the U.K. government and other U.S. allies, and Bashar al Assad share considerable responsibility along with other combatants, governments, and actors.

Instead, our goal, in keeping with those of the broader Costs of War Project, is to shed light on the often unacknowledged costs of the U.S. government’s 19-year-long “war on terror.”

Our study focuses on the eight countries where the U.S. government bears significant responsibility for wars it has launched (Afghanistan and the oft-ignored overlapping war in Pakistan triggered by invading Afghanistan, and Iraq); escalated as a major combatant (Libya and Syria); or intensified through drone strikes, battlefield advising, logistical support, weapons sales, and other military aid (Yemen, Somalia, and the Philippines).

Of course these are complex conflicts in which many actors — in many cases not primarily U.S. actors — have committed the violence that has displaced people. Still, we include countries  beyond Afghanistan and Iraq in our count because the U.S. government has played an undeniable and deep systemic role in these “other wars” through the “war on terror’s” combat troop deployments, contributions of military support, the rhetoric of “counterterrorism,” and the trillions of dollars that have supported these efforts. Reckoning with the effects of the entirety of our “war on terror” is a responsibility U.S. citizens cannot ignore.

With Syria in particular, many readers of the report have rightly noted the difficulty in assessing the U.S. role in causing displacement. Again, we are not blaming the U.S. government alone for the displacement of the 7.1 million Syrians we include in our total. Deep responsibility lies with other combatants who have played larger roles during the Syrian civil war (2011–present). They include Assad and the Syrian government, the Islamic State, Syrian rebel groups, the Russian and Turkish governments, and other outside forces.

As a result our methodology for calculating displacement linked to U.S. involvement in Syria was conservative. We began our calculation in 2014, when the U.S. military started fighting in Syria, but we could have included larger numbers displaced due to U.S. support for Syrian rebels since at least 2013. Some would argue that we should include all of Syria’s displaced (likely more than 20 million people since 2011) given the role of the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in destabilizing the Middle East and creating the Islamic State and other militant groups in the first place.

Our calculation also focused narrowly on Syrians displaced in and from five of Syria’s 14 provinces where U.S. forces have fought the Islamic State and operated from military bases since 2014. This is how we derive the figure of 7.1 million displaced, which is well under half of Syria’s total displaced people. It’s important to note that our calculation is an estimate based on the best available data from the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, and other international organizations; displacement statistics are always estimates giving a sense of displacement’s scale rather than precise counts.

The larger point is that tens of millions have been displaced by the wars the U.S. government has engaged in since 2001 in the name of fighting terrorism.

In Afghanistan and Iraq alone, the total displaced population reached 14.5 million. This sum itself exceeds displacement in any war since the start of the 20th century except World War II. Our report’s total also includes 3.7 million displaced Pakistanis; 1.7 million displaced Filipinos; 4.2 million displaced Somalis; 4.4 million displaced Yemenis; 1.2 million displaced Libyans; and the 7.1 million displaced Syrians.

Ultimately no number can convey the immensity of displacement’s damage. For individuals, families, towns, cities, regions, and entire countries, displacement has caused incalculable harm physically, socially, emotionally, and economically. We encourage others to build on and improve our research.

Many, we hope, will agree on the bottom line: we must focus on the suffering of those forced by war to flee their homes.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09/25/the-u-s-war-on-terror-has-displaced-37-million-people/

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Judge Rules Tucker Carlson Is Not a Credible Source of News
« Reply #17129 on: September 25, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »

A federal judge, on Thursday, dismissed a defamation case

[In] the context of “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” the Court finds that Mr. Carlson’s invocation of “extortion” against Ms. McDougal is nonactionable hyperbole, intended to frame the debate in the guest commentator segment that followed Mr. Carlson’s soliloquy. As Defendant notes, Mr. Carlson himself aims to “challenge political correctness and media bias.” This “general tenor” of the show should then inform a viewer that he is not “stating actual facts” about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in “exaggeration” and “non-literal commentary”… Given Mr. Carlson’s reputation, any reasonable viewer ‘arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism’…”

Fucker Carlson's new word for today is Pyrrhic Victory
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave