AuthorTopic: Jhana/Samadhi and Stilling the Mind, easy to read :)  (Read 1339 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Jhana/Samadhi and Stilling the Mind, easy to read :)
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »

The four material absorption states (see this article for more information) signify varying levels of meditative absorption, known in the Pali as “jhana” and in Sanskrit as “samadhi.”

Depending on how long we’ve been meditating (and especially whether or not we’ve experienced a good meditation retreat or two) — and how long our meditation sessions last — we can expect to encounter one or all of the jhana states described by the Buddha and others. Giving rise to jhana/samadhi is one of those things that may take time and perseverance, so if we are interested in living the holy life of a dedicated contemplative, we will NOT give up if things don’t start popping right off the bat. It will happen.

The second jhana is, among other things, marked by a stilling of the mind. In practice, there is a letting-go of conscious effort in applying and sustaining attention with regard to the object of meditation (i.e., the breath). This letting go is accompanied by the arising of “bliss and joy born of tranquility,” which have begun to manifest in the first jhana (i.e., “bliss and joy born of withdrawal”).

As the “bliss and joy born of tranquility” intensify, the mind actually becomes distracted from the distractions of discursive thought.

In other words, as samadhi increases (which it inevitably does the longer we sit), it literally displaces the thoughts, images, feelings and other assorted “junk” that the mind wants to generate when not “being meditated.”

My message to those just beginning their meditation practice is to put in as much time on the cushion as you can, regardless of the hit-and-miss nature of relative “success” that comes along. Begin by focusing on the breath, but as things settle in — say, ten or fifteen minutes into your sit, knowing that this time will decrease as you become more adept — allow your awareness to acknowledge any pleasant sensation that may visit you. For most, these pleasant sensations are subtle and fleeting, as body discomfort and the racing contents of the mind tend to dominate the beginner’s efforts. This is okay — at some point, you will notice a pleasant sensation, and you’ll want to immediately shift your attention from the breath to this sensation.

The pleasant sensation will, once it’s drawn your awareness, begin to expand and deepen, often moving into different bodily places and/or levels of intensity. Allow this new object of meditation (“bliss and joy born of tranquility”) to guide you.

As the bliss and joy inevitably intensify, you will notice that your mind automatically begins to still.

If mind-activity reasserts itself, simply go back into the pleasant sensation(s), and notice that the mind regains its stillness that much quicker.

As your meditation sessions increase in length — especially over the magic one-hour mark — you’ll notice that the level of samadhi increases to such intensity that the mind no longer lapses back into aimless activity.

When this happens, you are at the point of transitioning into the third jhana… which is the topic for another article. Just know, however, that the transition between second and third jhana is symbolized by the Dark Night of the Soul.

What this means is, the intensifying levels of jhana/samadhi (meditative absorption) begin to dig, dig, dig into the deeper parts of your being, exposing those aspects of your life that have gone unexamined and are likely fueling negative manifestations in your daily life.

Many contemplatives are so frightened and/or otherwise turned-off by these experiences that they give up on meditation altogether, convinced that it has made life worse than ever.

The wisdom at this point, of course, is to continue forward — and, in fact, to increase your commitment to the contemplative life.

No turning back; march straight ahead, all systems go.

Trust in the Divine Energy to guide you aright, to transform and heal you at the deepest levels, and to (ultimately) sever the “fetters” that bind you to suffering in this world.

This is salvation, this is enlightenment.

found at: http://rightabsorption.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/jhanasamadhi-and-stilling-the-mind/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:23:50 PM by knarf »
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: PATANJALI’S TEN TYPES OF SAMADHI
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:31:32 PM »

Long article, but explains the different states in consciousness when a serious person meditates for a considerable time.

http://dondeg.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/patanjalis-ten-types-of-samadhi/

I think a serious person meditating for a considerable time is the starting point to understanding it, which is gibberish to anyone who has not. This is why Jesus abridged all of that to the endpoint, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed you can command the mountains to be uprooted and cast into the sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOeBwVhoEE
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:50:32 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: PATANJALI’S TEN TYPES OF SAMADHI
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:20 AM »
As we gather in collective consciousness our hearts become our drums and our dreams are the heart’s song. The Shaman deep within our Being speaks as an audible silence that our Spirit hears and understands and calls us to gather with the Seen and Unseen, a cellular collective of all Ancestors from all corners of our Mother Earth bringing in the powers of the many Paths to the Center of the Circle Of Life.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jhana/Samadhi and Stilling the Mind, easy to read :)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »
UB, you are right....There was way too much Hindu language in the Pantanjalis explanation of stilling the mind...so i put a much easier one to understand up front....THNX!  Because I changed it you have to scroll back to the beginning or top to read the article.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:04:15 PM by knarf »
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »
This article says "My message to those just beginning their meditation practice is to put in as much time on the cushion as you can, regardless of the hit-and-miss nature of relative “success” that comes along. Begin by focusing on the breath, but as things settle in — say, ten or fifteen minutes into your sit, knowing that this time will decrease as you become more adept — allow your awareness to acknowledge any pleasant sensation that may visit you. For most, these pleasant sensations are subtle and fleeting, as body discomfort and the racing contents of the mind tend to dominate the beginner’s efforts. This is okay — at some point, you will notice a pleasant sensation, and you’ll want to immediately shift your attention from the breath to this sensation.
"

This not the way I was instructed to still the mind. It had nothing to do with how i felt. I was told to concentrate on a "spot" on the wall and to sit on my bed or wherever i was comfortable and when my mind wondered from concentrating on the spot, is just return my focus to this spot. I never got any gooey feelings from this. I would concentrate on the spot, my mind would wander i returned my focus to the spot and on it went for about a half an hour each session. After about 4 months of doing this, my mind would completely chill out, I would have no thoughts but I was completely conscious of everything. I had no inclination to move my body, i was content just sitting there. I started to be able to sit like that for an hour or more, then i was told to keep that state of mind while I walked around, and then when I encountered everyday situations. Of which I did, and have been doing for about 29 years.
  I really do not like when these new age Buddhists always refer to stilling the mind as some kind of bliss game. It is just not that way. It has allowed me to not have my ego mind constantly badgering my mind so my mind is interested in almost everything around me. I am not interrupted by what I believe, or about what i am going to say....it is living in the moment and reacting to life in a spontaneous fashion.

The article ends with this "This is salvation, this is enlightenment."  Bullshit. That is just new age feel good temporary make money rhetoric!

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
Words have power. I still the mind by using words such as :
I am Beauty
I am Florescence
I am Mastery
I am Grace
I am Immortality
I am Superabundance
I am Harmony
I am Emanation
etc.
Another great way to still the mind is to focus my physical being with nature. i.e. see myself at the beach
Hope this helps those struggling with anger issues....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »
This one of my favorite Buddhist passages/sayings. It is about the sixth and last "patriarch" of zen Buddhism.  Hyeneung, 638–713

Huang asked "You say you come from Neng, the great master. What instruction did you have under him?"
  Yung answered: "According to his instruction, no-tranquillization, no-disturbance, no-sitting, no-meditation - this is the Tathagata's Dhyana. The five Skandhas are not realities, the six objects of sense are by nature empty. It is neither quiet nor illuminating; it is neither real nor empty; it does not abide in the middle way; it is not doing, it is no-effect-producing, and yet it functions with the utmost freedom: the Buddha-nature is all-inclusive."
  This said, Huang at once realized the meaning of it and sighed: "These thirty years I have sat' to no purpose!"

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
Words have power. I still the mind by using words such as :
I am Beauty
I am Florescence
I am Mastery
I am Grace
I am Immortality
I am Superabundance
I am Harmony
I am Emanation
etc.
Another great way to still the mind is to focus my physical being with nature. i.e. see myself at the beach
Hope this helps those struggling with anger issues....

My view is whatever works for you to still your mind is what to do.  :)