AuthorTopic: Please give input on how to investigate this...  (Read 676 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Please give input on how to investigate this...
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
When I was in St. John, I read about this controversial marina project that's been proposed and at least nominally and preliminarily  approved by the local and federal powers that be.

There were a couple of current articles in the local small circulation newspaper, and you can read these:

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2013/12/17/federal-funds-go-planned-coral-bay-marina-st-john

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/index.php/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/9029-st-john-marina-plan-will-change-coral-bay-both-on-water-and-on-shore

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/index.php/component/content/article/600-news/2014-04-news/8926-moravian-church-official-heralds-plans-for-coral-bay-marina-project

Anyway if you want the short version, here's the deal.

1, That bay is one of the last free places to live on a boat in US waters.

2. There are moorings in the bay that sailboats owners pay maybe $300 bucks year to hook up, and I doubt they run many people off for not paying. It's like one of the most laid back places on earth. All that is going away.

3.There's a very old West Indian (black) church congregation with prime beachfront, which apparently they optioned sometime back.

4. There's a guy who claims to have a construction company. His back trail seems to lead to Houston and Baton Rouge. His credentials are highly suspect, but I'd like to know more about him. The address given for his Houston llc is a fairly modest tract house out in the burbs.

5. There's a woman "managing partner" who seems to me to be the SO of the builder. Much younger, Says she had a corporate recruitment business at the same time BF/husband was in Houston. Both their linked-in blurbs make them sound like Highly Successful Entrepreneurs.

6. There's a local politico (attorney, former legislator I think) who is also a Cruz Bay rental car agency owner.

7. There's a respected black business owner who seems to be the fixer for the local black community concerns.

8. Somehow these people got 1.3 million taxpayer dollars, which they apparently spent on the wildest set of plans and the most professional investor pro forma that kind of money will buy. They are talking a big gated community of 3-4 million dollar homes, some high end retail, plus a megayacht basin.

9. It is without a doubt going to cause environmental problems if they build what the plans show, not that that matters, I guess, in the face of climate change...but it still pisses me off.

10. There has been a community of boat bums in that bay for fifty years. They're gonna have to move. And to where? Not sure there is a place like that left anywhere.

Everything I've checked makes me think this is a big scam and a conduit scheme. I'm going to write something about it. Suggestions?

They want to turn this:

into this:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:41:46 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Please give input on how to investigate this...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »
When I was in St. John, I read about this controversial marina project that's been proposed and at least nominally and preliminarily  approved by the local and federal powers that be.

There were a couple of current articles in the local small circulation newspaper, and you can read these:

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2013/12/17/federal-funds-go-planned-coral-bay-marina-st-john

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/index.php/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/9029-st-john-marina-plan-will-change-coral-bay-both-on-water-and-on-shore

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/index.php/component/content/article/600-news/2014-04-news/8926-moravian-church-official-heralds-plans-for-coral-bay-marina-project

Anyway if you want the short version, here's the deal.

1, That bay is one of the last free places to live on a boat in US waters.

2. There are moorings in the bay that sailboats owners pay maybe $300 bucks year to hook up, and I doubt they run many people off for not paying. It's like one of the most laid back places on earth. All that is going away.

3.There's a very old West Indian (black) church congregation with prime beachfront, which apparently they optioned sometime back.

4. There's a guy who claims to have a construction company. His back trail seems to lead to Houston and Baton Rouge. His credentials are highly suspect, but I'd like to know more about him. The address given for his Houston llc is a fairly modest tract house out in the burbs.

5. There's a woman "managing partner" who seems to me to be the SO of the builder. Much younger, Says she had a corporate recruitment business at the same time BF/husband was in Houston. Both their linked-in blurbs make them sound like Highly Successful Entrepreneurs.

6. There's a local politico (attorney, former legislator I think) who is also a Cruz Bay rental car agency owner.

7. There's a respected black business owner who seems to be the fixer for the local black community concerns.

8. Somehow these people got 1.3 million taxpayer dollars, which they apparently spent on the wildest set of plans and the most professional investor pro forma that kind of money will buy. They are talking a big gated community of 3-4 million dollar homes, some high end retail, plus a megayacht basin.

9. It is without a doubt going to cause environmental problems if they build what the plans show, not that that matters, I guess, in the face of climate change...but it still pisses me off.

10. There has been a community of boat bums in that bay for fifty years. They're gonna have to move. And to where? Not sure there is a place like that left anywhere.

Everything I've checked makes me thing this is a big scam and a conduit scheme. I'm going to write something about it. Suggestions?

Try emailing Ray Jason.  He probably knows some of the Boat Bums.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
I'd really like to know more about the builder guy. I figured I could get the scoop on a Houston builder. Builders always have complaints and lawsuits, but I couldn't find much of anything about him in terms of online reviews or feedback. Just not...much...there.

He also claims to have attended Liberty University from 2001 -2007. (The Houston years.) Liberty University is a hard core fundamentalist Bible College in Virginia, with 90,000 online students. I'm guessing he was one of those.

Went to LSU for two years, 73-75, does not appear to have graduated. Listed his curriculum as building technology or something like that. Has had a real estate license since 1976.

Claims to have had his own construction company since 77. Claims to have been on TV in Baton Rouge as a cohost of some local show. for a couple of years or so.

I just think their CV's are mostly trumped up.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
try emailing Ray Jason.

I posted something on NBL on that blog of his Guy put up today. But I doubt he'll see it. Not sure I ought to even bother Ray, although I'm sure he would be unhappy to hear the news.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
Eddie,
Pull a Dunn & Bradstreet on them.
That should clear up any questions.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind