AuthorTopic: Official Diner Minimum Wage Thread  (Read 3501 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Official Diner Minimum Wage Thread
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:27:43 AM »
Kicking this off with the Burger Flippers Strike.

From ZH.

RE

Fast-Food Workers Strike, Arrested Across America: The Unseen Costs Of The Minimum Wage

Tyler Durden's picture

"Get up! Get down! Fast-food workers run this town!" were the chants from fast-food workers in over 100 cities across America today, as empowered by President Obama's explanation of 'fairness', they demanded a $15-per-hour minimum wage amid strikes, rallies, and acts of civil disobedience.

"They want $15 an hour and McDonalds Corporation should give it to them immediately" - Protest Organizerr Rev. Charles Williams II

Many fast-food chains and independent restaurants have said that a $15 hourly wage would lead to big price increases on their menus or make it impossible to eke out a profit, adding that they "believe that any minimum wage increase should be implemented over time so that the impact on owners of small and medium-sized businesses." Police arrested 19 workers in NYC and several dozen were placed in handcuffs in Detroit and organizers strongly denied unconfirmed fast-food industry accusations that some workers were being paid $250 to $500 by the union to strike. While the economic reasoning for a minimum-wage hike has been dead-and-buried, we try one more time to explain the hidden costs of the minimum wage.

As The LA Times reports,

Fanny Velazquez, 36, said she was participating in the rally to fight for better wages to support her family. A single mother with three children, ages 11, 14 and 16, she said she struggles to make her $9.34-an-hour pay cover all the bills.

The South Los Angeles resident has been working at McDonald's for eight years doing a variety of jobs, usually working 20 hours a week. But lately, Velazquez said, the company has often cut her hours to 15 a week. She also qualifies for welfare and food assistance.

"It's difficult, it's not enough to pay my bills," she said.

A series of protests funded in part by the Service Employees International Union and local activist groups have sought to spotlight the plight of low-wage workers and push for higher pay.

And USA Today continues...

Strikers began to gather in more than 100 cities early Thursday, affecting major chains from McDonald's to Wendy's to Burger King. Shortly after 7 a.m. ET on Thursday, police arrested 19 workers who sat down in the street — and refused to move — outside the bustling McDonald's at New York's Times Square, reports the New York City Police Department. Up to several dozen striking fast-food workers were placed in handcuffs and arrested in Detroit, as well.

"There has to be civil disobedience because workers don't see any other way to get $15 an hour and a union," says Kendall Fells, organizing director of the organizing group Fast Food Forward, which is financially backed by the Service Employees International Union. "There's a long history of this, from the civil rights movement to the farm workers movement."

Organizers strongly denied unconfirmed fast-food industry accusations that some workers were being paid $250 to $500 by the union to strike. " Workers are not getting paid to strike," says Fells. "It's an age-old tradition in the union movement that workers who are losing pay by going on strike get support from other workers through strike funds. Other workers are supporting strikers through a strike fund, as they have since this movement started."

The strike comes just days after President Obama appeared to lend support to the so-called Fight for $15 movement at a Labor Day speech in Milwaukee. "All across the country right now, there's a national movement going on made up of fast-food workers organizing to life wages so they can provide for their families with pride and dignity," Obama said.

In a statement, McDonald's said

"We believe that any minimum wage increase should be implemented over time so that the impact on owners and small and medium-sized businesses — like the ones who own and operate the majority of our restaurants — is manageable."

And we leave it to Josh Grossman of The Ludwig von Mises Institute blog to explain, The Unseen costs of the minimum wage...

A recent article at US News and World Report by Pat Garofalo quotes Associated Press writer Christopher Rugaber who says that “US states that boosted their minimums at the beginning of the year, the number of jobs grew an average of 0.85 percent from January through June. The average for the other 37 states was 0.61 percent.” However, this appears to be another example of the Broken Window fallacy refuted by Frédéric Bastiat in his famous essay “That Which is Seen and Unseen.” In the introduction Bastiat states that

"in the economy, an act, a habit, an institution, a law, gives birth not only to an effect, but to a series of effects. Of these effects, the first only is immediate; it manifests itself simultaneously with its cause — it is seen. The others unfold in succession — they are not seen: it is well for us if they are foreseen. Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference — the one takes account of the visible effect; the other takes account both of the effects which are seen and also of those which it is necessary to foresee."

By raising wage rates, the public can see their states’ minimum-wage earners making more money. This is the factor that is seen. What is unseen is the number of jobs destroyed or citizens who would have been able to obtain jobs if the minimum wage were never raised in these states in the first place.

But even the government statistics do not add nearly as much support as the pro-minimum wage group implies. Florida, for example, was one of the thirteen states that raised its minimum wage to $7.93 per hour as of January 1, 2014. Looking at monthly seasonally-adjusted employment and unemployment data for Florida, comparing January to May 2014, we find that the unemployment rate actually increased from 6.1 percent to 6.3 percent, respectively. The unemployment rate of Florida might be several times larger but for the fact that only those still actively seeking work are considered to be employed, and do not include those who are underemployed or have given up looking for work. In addition, this data clearly demonstrates that the Florida unemployment rate was decreasing every month prior to the minimum wage being raised from 7.4 percent in July 2013 to 5.9 percent in December 2013 before increasing to 6.3 percent upon introduction of the new minimum wage in January. It’s dangerous to draw broad conclusions from a single statistic like this, but it’s clear that we can hardly conclude, as Garofalo has done, that minimum wage hikes “have little to no effect on employment.”

Another weakness behind the claims that minimum wages raise the well-being of workers, is that it does not state what kinds of jobs are being created. An increase in government jobs, for example, does not create added wealth to a state’s economy. In fact, such jobs are a drag because they have to be paid for by imposing higher taxes on the productive sector of the economy.

Even more uncertainty is added if we consider Cantillon effects, which tell us that in response to money-supply inflation, prices (including labor prices) do not change uniformly and at the same speed, so the effect of raising the minimum wage will be different in each of these thirteen states.

Finally, if raising minimum wages does increase the number of jobs in these states, why don’t their governors and legislatures raise the minimum wage to $100 to $1,000 dollars per hour? To ask the question is to answer it as even these interventionist politicians know that no one besides government bureaucrats would still be employed under such as system. Any first-year economics student knows that, all things being equal, as the price of an item increases, demand for that item decreases accordingly. Wage rates are labor’s price. As wage rates increase, employers demand for workers will decrease. By increasing the minimum wage, politicians in these thirteen states are condemning many of their citizens to unemployment.

Murray Rothbard perhaps said it best when he argued that the minimum wage “is compulsory unemployment, period … the minimum wage law provides no jobs; it only outlaws them; and outlawed jobs are the inevitable result.”

Enough?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:33:05 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Official Diner Minimum Wage Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
TheGuardian had an article about this five days ago:  I left a comment there which basically I'll recycle here.

436 people nationwide arrested wanting to get paid for one hour's of work an amount SIGNIFICANTLY less than a typical family would spend for their fast food meal where these same employees work. An interaction which takes only two minutes of a fast food workers time.

The math is telling me republican fat asses just want to get fatter. But what's new. In America freedom does not mean equality. One would need French Fries for that. In American freedom means freedom to oppress. An upside down topsy turvy world where people are tools to be used up only to be then discarded and thrown away. Less than slaves.

Where groups of people, imaginary people, predatory collections of people with no collective soul. Collections without direction or feeling are considered real people with civil rights. Groups who are able to call out the police to maintain the existing order of exploitation. Groups who exist to mine society for their own gain, nothing more.

I rant.

People too lazy to fix their own food can pony up and give fast food workers $15 an hour. That includes me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:05:41 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

I rant.

People too lazy to fix their own food can pony up and give fast food workers $15 an hour. That includes me.

Sounds good. Because what happens next will be wage inflation for all those folks currently making between minimum wage and $15/hr, which will then cascade into higher paid workers, and so on and so forth. So EVERYONE will get a raise.

Good deal!! Trigger some inflation undoubtedly, but that comes with the territory.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:14:42 PM »
Kicking this off with the Burger Flippers Strike.

From ZH.

RE
Murray Rothbard perhaps said it best when he argued that the minimum wage ďis compulsory unemployment, period Ö the minimum wage law provides no jobs; it only outlaws them; and outlawed jobs are the inevitable result.

Jesus, what next?

Charles and David Koch publishing an op-ed, "Minimum Wage: Threat or Menace?"

More libertarian claptrap, authored by people who not only have never worked in food service, but don't even know personally anyone who works in food service...The strikers have it exactly right. People in power will never "give" anything to workers. They have to organize, and take it.

In 1968, I work as a union laborer for the princely sum of $5.075 an hour. That was more than 200 bucks a week, and that was some serious money to help me make my way through college. At that time minimum wage was $1.60 an hour,  which translates to $10.80 in  today's dollars.  The buying power the minimum wage has declined steadily since 1968.

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
The buying power the minimum wage has declined steadily since 1968.

As has union membership probably. Unfortunately, as union workers gave us the Pinto, the Chrysler K car, Gremlin, Cutlass Diesel, Vega, Mustang II, many folks, myself included, grew up buying imports. Matter of fact, the Volt is the first Chevy I've ever purchased, and it is because Chevy really went out on a technological limb with this one and deserved, finally, to retrieve a consumer lost for decades because of what was once considered "union quality".

Fair disclosure, both parents were union their entire adult lives, and I've only worked a union job once in my life. It was the only job that I never received a severance from when let go because there was a rule that said I hadn't done something required, paid the tithe to the steward, whatever. Every other job, ALL non-union, when let go or leaving, have received some form of severance. Funny how that one worked out.

Needless to say, as Mr Union Bolting on Lugnuts, or his kids, have discovered, the union didn't save his job, it just bloated the bottom line enough that the corporation could afford to ship it elsewhere. I think unions are generally a good idea, with spotty implementation. 
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »

I rant.

Sounds good. Because what happens next will be wage inflation for all those folks currently making between minimum wage and $15/hr, which will then cascade into higher paid workers, and so on and so forth. So EVERYONE will get a raise.

Good deal!! Trigger some inflation undoubtedly, but that comes with the territory.

I think we have a lot more to worry about from Federal Reserve helicopters dropping pallets of C notes on Wall Street than from any hyperinflation being triggered by burger flippers. 

Besides which you are dead to rights wrong.  Injecting money into the lower strata of society actually stimulates the economy!  The reason is extra money has to go right back out to meet basic needs.  The poor can't even hold it long enough to keep their hands warm.  They have to eat and pay rent.  Extra money can't be saved and tucked away in hedge funds by them like Wall Street money can.  Giving poor people money actually stimulates the economy three times more effectively than giving the same amount of money to rich people.  It's been studied.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:32:12 AM »
The buying power the minimum wage has declined steadily since 1968.

As has union membership probably. Unfortunately, as union workers gave us the Pinto, the Chrysler K car, Gremlin, Cutlass Diesel, Vega, Mustang II, many folks, myself included, grew up buying imports. Matter of fact, the Volt is the first Chevy I've ever purchased, and it is because Chevy really went out on a technological limb with this one and deserved, finally, to retrieve a consumer lost for decades because of what was once considered "union quality".

I am fascinated to learn that union workers commissioned and designed the Pinto, the Chrysler K car, Gremlin, Cutlass Diesel, Vega, etc. That people on the assembly line made the strategic decisions to foist of these deeply impaired products off on the American consumer. Were responsible for the flawed R&D; did the marketing and product studies; and informed the corporate strategy. And heretofore I had thought it was built in arrogance in the executive suites that led these solons to believe they lived in a consequence-free zone, which in turn led them to make decisions that would effectively cede their markets to the Japanese...

And here all along it was the unions we should have blamed.

It is interesting that our grandparents probably fought in the union movement; our fathers were a part of that movement. Today, "children of steelworkers boo public schoolteachers, the children of autoworkers vote in their towns to stiff the cops, and they cheer swaggering louts like the governor of New Jersey who are proud to have arranged the looting of the pensions of thousands of firefighters." (Charlie Pierce)

United States of Amnesia, indeed.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:24:48 AM »

I rant.

I think we have a lot more to worry about from Federal Reserve helicopters dropping pallets of C notes on Wall Street than from any hyperinflation being triggered by burger flippers.

Same idea was thrown out for examination during the last helicopter episode, and it didn't work out that way. No, my bet is that market fundamentals, consumer behavior, both mean more than what the Fed can accomplish with gentle nudges here and there.

You can give Wall Street the cash, but you can't force an American to spend it. And that is really what the goal is, people spending, not banksters keeping it in a vault to comply with some rule related to capital reserves.

Quote from: K-Dog

Besides which you are dead to rights wrong.  Injecting money into the lower strata of society actually stimulates the economy!

That's what I said. Of course low level spending stimulates the economy...and a faster moving economy then leads to various types of inflation as the supply side reconfigures around that new demand load, overtime hours for some folks, increased costs to get 2X more chemical feedstock, the tanks to hold it, a little factory expansion requiring some borrowing, and then inflation begins to tick up as well. Suddenly China-Mart see's a surge in shoe sales, they can't get all the product being demanded, they locate another supplier, the price is a little higher, ChinaMart cuts the deal to get the stock, and presto...shoe prices bump up at ChinaMart.

The reason is extra money has to go right back out to meet basic needs.  The poor can't even hold it long enough to keep their hands warm.

Living pay check to pay check isn't a condition of poverty in America. It is a lifestyle choice. A bad choice, but no different than the ignorance that led to the housing bubble and accompanying crash. Gotta have that new flat screen! Greyhound bus? Are you KIDDING!! Someone give me a plane ticket!! A manual transmission in my car and no radio?! Screw that! Give me a new loaded up Camry!

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/25/news/economy/middle-class-paycheck/

They have to eat and pay rent.  Extra money can't be saved and tucked away in hedge funds by them like Wall Street money can.  Giving poor people money actually stimulates the economy three times more effectively than giving the same amount of money to rich people.  It's been studied.

Of course extra money can be squirreled away. I lived in a storage unit once, saving money for a big move to California. Used the heat from my air cooled motorcycle to keep the place livable  through fall and into winter. Still got damn cold. But I saved enough for 6 months living elsewhere after the big move.

But I agree, giving poor people money works great. But that kind of jump in minimum wage will also cause wage inflation, and far more than just minimum wage folks will get a hike, which leads to wage inflation, which leads only one of two places...companies employ fewer people to mitigate what would otherwise be cost increases, or they happily pass those costs along to the consumer.

Electricity for example. Change their labor cost profile, and they run straight to the utility commission, demanding a rate increase to compensate. And just that fast...your electricity rates go up 20% because the company creating the power sure isn't going to make less profit..and the consumer is on the hook for it. All because their labor cost profile changed.
-Dalai Lama

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
I am fascinated to learn that union workers commissioned and designed the Pinto, the Chrysler K car, Gremlin, Cutlass Diesel, Vega, etc.

Me too! Where did you learn that? Certainly workers machining, assembling and bolting bad read ends onto those cars, or not getting the doors to close properly on the assembly line isn't a design issue, but a "gee this doesn't seem to line up quite right so let the dealer fix it" attitude.

But union workers DESIGNING the things, that was someone else's job. There job was just to bolt it together, and count on the union to make sure that when they didn't get the parts on there quite right, protect them.

Quote from: Surly1
That people on the assembly line made the strategic decisions to foist of these deeply impaired products off on the American consumer.

They didn't. They bolted them together badly. The strategic decision to build cars came from management.

Were responsible for the flawed R&D; did the marketing and product studies; and informed the corporate strategy.

Unions guys couldn't bolt wheels onto axles correctly, certainly you can't allow them NEAR any of this stuff.

And here all along it was the unions we should have blamed.

You can't blame them. They were doing exactly what was expected of them, to whit, to survive. No different than an individual organism, unions want to grow, get bigger, flourish, creating more versions of themselves. That failed with the bloat that came along with them. So you can't blame someone for doing a half assed job when that is all that was expected of them. And better yet, they are protected from the consequences of their quality by said union.

It is interesting that our grandparents probably fought in the union movement; our fathers were a part of that movement. Today, "children of steelworkers boo public schoolteachers, the children of autoworkers vote in their towns to stiff the cops, and they cheer swaggering louts like the governor of New Jersey who are proud to have arranged the looting of the pensions of thousands of firefighters." (Charlie Pierce)

United States of Amnesia, indeed.

Children of boomers have been taught many things by their parents, and given us the socially and morally bankrupt country we live in. Unions were just a small part of it, Hollywood had more to do with it in the long run. That and the boomers not teaching their kids what their parents had taught them, which was the real core to American success until the boomers deep sixed it in favor of SUVs and Harleys, borrowing, consumerism, ignoring any hint of personal responsibility for anything, basically just throwing everyone else to the wolves in their rush to get more than their neighbors.

And now we sit around complaining about it, pretending it is doom, rather than the effect of a cause.
-Dalai Lama

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Seems to me blaming the Unions for design flaws is a bit of a reach.  Assembly line workers making strategic decisions without being shot.  I have to say who, what, were, when, and why on that one.  What's that?  OMFG my house is shaking; it's the ghost of Howard Zinn spinning.  Rest easy Howard rest easy, I'll take care of it.

I take it you must not be too fond of unions.  If that's your belief, and I know I'm reaching, how do you propose to keep capital from viewing labor as anything less than a cost to be minimized and marginalized, smoothed right out of the cost burden whenever, and in whichever way possible.  Perhaps you feel we are now in the Roman banquet lit by human torch stage of the great unwind and such trivialities no longer matter.

??

You mention the United states of Amnesia.  Here you go,  less than a hundred years and a constant rain of anti Union Propaganda steady wipes the memory slate clean.  Wipes clean the memory of blood.  Blood spilt trying to make our country a place where people can live decent lives.  My link is just one entry into a rich and detailed panorama of labor struggle history in America.  A history now long suppressed.

Howard Zinn: A reinvigorated labor movement needed for social upheaval.  This is a YouTube with Howard, 11 minutes long.  Uploaded Apr 10th, 2009.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:36:03 PM by K-Dog »

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
Seems to me blaming the Unions for design flaws is a bit of a reach. 

depends on whether or not cars with missing lugnuts is a design flaw. Poor machining? (granddad was a union machinist for Westinghouse) This was back in the day where people actually did a fair amount of the actual work making cars, versus the more robotic world of now. With the robots, it is all design issues except when someone touches somthing. Back then, the union touched all sorts of stuff. Leading to blown engines in Chevrolet Blazers at 40K ( that was fun), or the rear end of a Camaro exploding, including sending shrapnel through the floor pan of the car into the cabin (that was REAL fun!), or the time mom and I went to buy a new car (mom doing the buying) and Lee was telling us how good Chrysler was, so we went there first, jumped into that Charger...and it wouldn't start. Could have been just bad luck, weak battery, so we jumped into another...and returned it without even leaving the block, something with the front brakes was just howling the entire time.

All great fun!

So mom bought a Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi product rebadged) and drove the wheels off it until 20 years later it finally sat rusting in the back yard. 250K on the odo, original motor and tranny and running gear, nothing but occasional oil changes and an air filter...guy paid me $500 for the motor and tranny to make a dune buggy out of. When I bought my first car ever...it was a Honda.

Chevy Volt was the final straw, decided that if Chevy was going to build personal peak oil solutions for the masses, the least I could do was see if it resembled that Camaro and Blazer from way back when. Have to say....the designers AND whoever bolts them together nowadays did a damn good job.

I take it you must not be too fond of unions.

Mom and stepdad were union since slightly after birth. The stories they told were...well...disappointing. But I've only held one union job in my life, and I had no complaints about it.

If that's your belief, and I know I'm reaching, how do you propose to keep capital from viewing labor as anything less than a cost to be minimized and marginalized, smoothed right out of the cost burden whenever, and in whichever way possible.  Perhaps you feel we are now in the Roman banquet lit by human torch stage of the great unwind and such trivialities no longer matter.

??

I think management always looks at labor costs as something to optimize. That is different than minimized or marginalized.

No different than a family looks at their budget, or RE looks at his web hosting costs.

My link is just one entry into a rich and detailed panorama of labor struggle history in America.  A history now long suppressed.

Not where I come from. Teaching and coal mining were good paying jobs, and stepdad has been on the lines forcing teamsters to honor his picket line more than once. But unions do seem to have fallen into disfavor with the conversion of the US economy from manufacturing centric to more service centric.

Don't know why really, except that the same lack of ambition and force of will of the post boomer generations, raised during a time of plenty, works against them doing anything that takes balls and that innate thing that DRIVES people to excel at something. They cry, they complain, they get saved by mommy and quit whatever task they signed up. Lost 6 folks recently, none of them making it past 8 days when they realized that not all the $100K excavators they would be operating had A/C. And christ on a crutch, if you asked one of them to get out of the cab and fix a problem with a shovel for 5 minutes, you would think you'd asked them to coat themselves in excrement and lick it off.

It just floored me. In one case, the guy's mom literally came to a job site to collect him, her poor baby couldn't work in such conditions! 85F and sunny! 12 hour days to get the job done sometimes! What torture!

I don't know what was more distressing, their work ethic, or what their parents were teaching these 19-21 year olds in terms of tenacity, perseverance,  character or just CFS.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »

Of course extra money can be squirreled away. I lived in a storage unit once, saving money for a big move to California. Used the heat from my air cooled motorcycle to keep the place livable  through fall and into winter. Still got damn cold. But I saved enough for 6 months living elsewhere after the big move.

Living in storage units is illegal.  Big fines for storage unit owners who allow this.  How did you get away with it for 6 months?

How could you heat with a motorcycle engine in a storage unit without dying from carbon monoxide poisoning?  Where did you go to the toilet and shower?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »

WTF ?  :icon_scratch:

Living in storage units is illegal.  Big fines for storage unit owners who allow this.  How did you get away with it for 6 months?

How could you heat with a motorcycle engine in a storage unit without dying from carbon monoxide poisoning?  Where did you go to the toilet and shower?

RE
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
Seems to me blaming the Unions for design flaws is a bit of a reach.  Assembly line workers making strategic decisions without being shot.

The sad part is, it can actually work brilliantly.  I believe it was Peter Drucker who told the tale of a company who implemented a policy where anyone who figured out a way to save the company money, from assembly line worker to president, would get the first year's savings as a bonus.  They were able to keep their prices steady for decades despite a vastly weakening dollar.  Unfortunately, it wasn't able to overcome being in the wrong industry: trolleys, so they did go out of business in the mid 1960s.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »

Living in storage units is illegal. 

So was poaching white tail deer on the farm to A) keep them from eating the corn and B) feed the family.

How many days would you go without food before compromising your city born and store bought principles of what is legal? Better yet, how many days would you let your mother or sister go without food? The answer to those questions was not an academic one in my teenage years.

Quote from: RE
Big fines for storage unit owners who allow this.  How did you get away with it for 6 months?

Sleep in storage unit (nice setup, slept on floor but had sleeping bags, some shelving, supplies). Leave before dawn. I worked the 6AM-8AM shift at the field house prior to the start of class, took a shower, went to class. Bought a gym membership for the wife, she went with me at 6AM. Left her car parked on campus. She went to work. I went to school, worked various jobs during the day. Evening we would hang out in the dorm TV room where I had been a resident assistant the summer before, stayed there until after dark. Drove the motorcycle for 15 minutes to warm it up, back to the storage unit, open the door, everyone inside, close the door. Jam the lock from the inside so we couldn't be locked in.

Picked the unit that faced other units rather than the house and keeper further up on the hill.

Doesn't everyone do this kind of stuff as kids? I bicycled the C&O Canal trail from Cumberland to Washington when I was 9 and 10. By 12 I was backpacking eastern trails like the Black Forest in PA or Dolly Sods in WV. By 14 I did the Baker trail end to end, and tackled the Appalachian trail in PA. Built my first log cabin at 17. In college I ninja camped in Theodore Roosevelt NP (got a good story with that one), interstate medians, gullies on random farm land in -25F (good stories winter camping in general), spent about an entire summer cross country backpacking in the Cabinet Mountains of Montana. Got my 30-06 through the Chicago greyhound terminal as well, hiding that sumbitch in public was itself a skill.

In my family none of this is even interesting, my uncle, instead of going to his college graduation in Michigan, put a canoe in the local river in Pennsylvania. Grandma picked him up in the GOM 120 days later. Now THAT was an adventure, according to my uncle.

Staying hidden isn't that hard, storage areas were kids stuff.

Quote from: RE

RE

You didn't leave the motorcycle run. You warmed it up by riding it around, and then you parked it in the unit and turned it off. Those hundred pounds of aluminum and steel would give off heat for hours. And you went to the bathroom before you went in for the night, and used the bathrooms at the gym when you went out in the morning. The real problem was keeping someone from coming along and thinking you had left your unit unlocked, and them being so nice as to lock it for you. If you were inside, you would be screwed. Would have to cut your way out. So jamming the mechanism to not close, from the inside, was the real trick.

-Dalai Lama