AuthorTopic: Official Diner Minimum Wage Thread  (Read 3502 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Official Diner Minimum Wage Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
So was poaching white tail deer on the farm to A) keep them from eating the corn and B) feed the family.
Actually, if this was in Pennsylvania, and your family earned at least 70% of its income from farming, this wasn't necessarily illegal (at least at the time I took the hunter safety course, many years ago).  You just couldn't kill another until one was consumed, and none of the meat could leave the farm, except, of course, in people's stomachs.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »
In my family none of this is even interesting, my uncle, instead of going to his college graduation in Michigan, put a canoe in the local river in Pennsylvania. Grandma picked him up in the GOM 120 days later. Now THAT was an adventure, according to my uncle.

Ray Jason can keep his Sea Gypsy stuff, THAT's what I would want to do with a boat if I didn't have to worry about my body betraying me....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
So was poaching white tail deer on the farm to A) keep them from eating the corn and B) feed the family.
Actually, if this was in Pennsylvania, and your family earned at least 70% of its income from farming, this wasn't necessarily illegal (at least at the time I took the hunter safety course, many years ago).  You just couldn't kill another until one was consumed, and none of the meat could leave the farm, except, of course, in people's stomachs.

My family didn't farm for a living, we farmed to have food. Granddad was the only one employed at the time, and back then you could get a permit to clean out extra deer from damaging the crops. We didn't have one. Knew some folks who did though, and they were what I might call REAL farmers, although as with most small family farms someone was usually working to bring in some cash as well.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
In my family none of this is even interesting, my uncle, instead of going to his college graduation in Michigan, put a canoe in the local river in Pennsylvania. Grandma picked him up in the GOM 120 days later. Now THAT was an adventure, according to my uncle.

Ray Jason can keep his Sea Gypsy stuff, THAT's what I would want to do with a boat if I didn't have to worry about my body betraying me....

My uncle rocked in a way doomers would love. Lived his life on communes, built all kinds of cool houses out of as natural materials as he could, stuck with natural foods, became vegetarian, had like 6 kids and raised them right, all of them are  cool, lived out his final years maintaining a New England hobby farm, keeping some new england radio personality in a nice weekend spread. Always admired him. A bit spiritual for my tastes, but he was cool, and that trip down the Mississippi was his beginning.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »

What a WIMP!  How come he didn't Portage the Canoe back?

Pecos Bill would have hitched a ride on a Tornado.

Now everyone in the West knows that Pecos Bill could ride anything. No bronco could throw him, no sir! Fact is, I only heard of Bill getting' throwed once in his whole career as a cowboy. Yep, it was that time he was up Kansas way and decided to ride him a tornado.

Now Bill wasn't gonna ride jest any tornado, no ma'am. He waited for the biggest gol-durned tornado you ever saw. It was turning the sky black and green, and roaring so loud it woke up the farmers away over in China. Well, Bill jest grabbed that there tornado, pushed it to the ground and jumped on its back. The tornado whipped and whirled and sidewinded and generally cussed its bad luck all the way down to Texas. Tied the rivers into knots, flattened all the forests so bad they had to rename one place the Staked Plains. But Bill jest rode along all calm-like, give it an occasional jab with his spurs.

Finally, that tornado decided it wasn't getting this cowboy off its back no-how. So it headed west to California and jest rained itself out. Made so much water it washed out the Grand Canyon. That tornado was down to practically nothing when Bill finally fell off. He hit the ground so hard it sank below sea level. Folks call the spot Death Valley.

Anyway, that's how rodeo got started. Though most cowboys stick to broncos these days.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 08:43:16 AM »

What a WIMP!  How come he didn't Portage the Canoe back?

I never asked. I was never much of a water guy, any more than he was a backpacker or hunter guy.
-Dalai Lama

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »

Did he have a friend to bamboo pole catfish on the way down with?  I hope he had some good smoke for the corncob pipe.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:01:04 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »

Did he have a friend to bamboo pole catfish on the way down with?  I hope he had some good smoke for the corncob pipe.

Not that I recall him telling. Quite a bit of camping along the banks of the river, met some fine people he was still talking to and visiting decades later. No mention of what might be considered the more "rude" side of the human family, but even if he had met those types, my uncle was a real live and let live kind of guy. He would have complied with not being in the right place, smiled as he apologized for any transgression and been on his way. Needless to say, we have different outlooks on how to handle certain situations.
-Dalai Lama