AuthorTopic: Diner & SUN Donation Buttons  (Read 4974 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Diner & SUN Donation Buttons
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »
Courtesy of Peter, we AT LAST have Donation Buttons up on the Diner and on the SUN  :icon_sunny: website! :multiplespotting:

These Donation Buttons go to DIFFERENT bank accounts and are for different purposes.

The Diner Donate button is for Diners to contribute to pay our internet costs if they want to keep the Diner Ad-Free and to show your appreciation for all the hard work we do to keep the Diner spiffy and chock full of juicy Doom-info.  If we ever get more than the costs, the excess will first be used to do some paid advertising of the Diner on Google and various websites.  After that we'll pay our Diner contributors something by the article.  This Donation is NOT TAX DEDUCTABLE.  A Suggested Donation for Regular Diners is $5/month, if all the regulars contribute this it should be enough to cover costs and keep the Diner Ad Free.  This is a typical Magazine Subscription cost.

The SUN  :icon_sunny: website Donate Button is for a different purpose, to help us grow the SUN  :icon_sunny: Project and fulfill the Mission to SAVE AS MANY AS WE CAN.   This Donation IS TAX DEDUCTABLE!!!!! Small Donations will go into a general Operations Fund.  Large Donations of $10K+ will go into a Capital Expenditure fund to set up the first SUNstead.

Peter is also working on setting up a Subscription system for Diner Premium material, which now is basically the Podcasts and Vidcasts.  They should be available both a la carte at $1 each, or $5 for a monthly subscription, or $50 for yearly.  Podcasts will still be available Free on Soundcloud, after a delay of 2 weeks to start with.  We'll see how that goes.

Please direct any FAQ type questions about donations in this thread.  For specific information that might be private, PM me.

OK Diners, $PONY UP!$  Let's see if the Diner can support itself and not depend on me to keep it going.

RE
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:29:24 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Diner & SUN Donation Buttons
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:32:22 PM »
  How much does it cost now as it stands? As a supposedly equal partner in founding the Diner, how much has surly1 been contributing all along?

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
  How much does it cost now as it stands? As a supposedly equal partner in founding the Diner, how much has surly1 been contributing all along?

With the added bandwidth I use every month, the registration costs, server costs, Soundcloud costs etc, about $2000/year I estimate right now.  Every jump up in readership makes the server more expensive, right now the Diner is on the Jumbo plan for a shared server, next step up is a dedicated server, which would triple the server cost.  Then there are always more costs for stuff like the CPA to fill out tax returns, fees to Da Goobermint etc.

I fund this all myself.  I haven't asked Surly or anyone else for funding assistance to date.  I'm in so far maybe $5-10K, depends how you figure it.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:47 PM »
   That's a lot RE and considering what a "Gentleman's Club" the Diner has become not counting the "free for alls" I myself think five bucks a month for being overseen and educated is probably a bargain. I certainly wouldn't want someone "richer than God' to have to shoulder the whole load himself. It's only fair that we blabber mouths contribute. Please do carry on. Would like to know what the staunchest of gentleman citizens think. The ones with the really deep pockets and therefore the most say just like it normally is everywhere else. Karpatok

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
   That's a lot RE and considering what a "Gentleman's Club" the Diner has become not counting the "free for alls" I myself think five bucks a month for being overseen and educated is probably a bargain. I certainly wouldn't want someone "richer than God' to have to shoulder the whole load himself. It's only fair that we blabber mouths contribute. Please do carry on. Would like to know what the staunchest of gentleman citizens think. The ones with the really deep pockets and therefore the most say just like it normally is everywhere else. Karpatok

The "Richer than God" status is irrelevant really, if you have a deep enough pocket you can fund just about anything.  I'm not trying to do that, it's the "Lord of the Manor" paradigm.

What I did here was to provide Seed Money to get this going.  The idea is to make it Self-Supporting so it doesn't NEED a "Sugar Daddy".

In fact, if it ever did become self-supporting, I could be essentially voted off the island if the Diners as a group decided I was too big an asshole to have around.  LOL.  Numerous ways to do that, though I won't elucidate them for you and make it easy.  LOL.  Wresting the Doomstead Diner "brand name" from me would be difficult and demand a court battle of course, see John Waters and Pink Floyd for this.

Mainly, I like having a platform I can write on and rant on so I set this one up to do that.  As has become clear over time, I can't keep the platform totally free of editorial control or "censorship", it goes too nuts when I do that.

Still, the Diner is basically for Diners.  I organized it, I funded the startup.  The Diner has matured and it needs to stand on its own two feet now.

Not gonna charge anything if you can't afford it.  Information should be free.  However, if you do have spare FRNs and you feel the Diner has Value, then as a Diner you should help it not just stay up and running, but grow.

RE
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:57:03 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »
Hey! We already got a Monthly Subscriber!

That's the Good Newz.  :)

Bad Newz is so far said subscriber's $5 transaction could not be processed by Pay Pal.  :(  Pay Pal will try again in 5 days.

A note to subscribers:  It helps to have money in your Pay Pal account when you subscribe.  LOL

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
As a result of the Generosity of a couple of Diner Regulars, the Diner will remain Ad Free for at least another week.  :icon_sunny:

If we can bring in just $30/week on the Diner, around $1500/year, NO ADS!

We are working on the Final Hookups for the SUN  :icon_sunny: Donation button.  That is the TAX DEDUCTABLE one to help build the SUN  :icon_sunny: Project, not keep the Diner Ad Free.

I will not announce the names or amounts from the Contributors for their Privacy.  They may however reveal themselves they are Diner Supporters and I will confirm it.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Donation & Purchase Technical Difficulties
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
Thanks to the Diners who have attempted to make Donations and/or test the Purchase button on the Cultural Stupidity Rant.

This may be appearing to work on your end, but so far Pay Pal is not transferring any funds for the Purchases or for recurring Donations.  A couple of Individual Donations were processed.

We are working on figuring out what is wrong, in the meantime don't try to make any further donations or purchases until I get some update from Peter and/or DS on this.

We did get our A-OK All Clear letter from SC Charities for SUN  :icon_sunny:, so if you want to make a TAX DEDUCTIBLE contribution to the SUN  :icon_sunny: project, contact me or LD and we'll send you information for sending a Snail Mail Check until we get the Button system and Pay Pal working right.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner & SUN Donation Buttons: A Donation gets through!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
The Diner got a nice $100 Donation today from a Lurker!  Female too!  This is the biggest single contribution made yet to the Diner.

We had several people sign up for recurring Donations, however those are not Processing by PayPal.  If you are going to Support the Diner, do it with Single Contributions until the Back End folks figure out what is going on there.

We do have a Developer working on Sprucing up the place now, so some changes may happen in the next few weeks.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Diner & SUN Donation Buttons: A Donation gets through!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 07:09:50 PM »
A second Donation today, this time from a Diner Regular!

We got this month's bills covered here!

Thanks for the Support Diners!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
The Diner got another Triple Digit Donation today from another one of our Lurkers!  The recent Donations have covered the costs of running the Diner for about the first quarter of 2015, so the Diner is coming closer to being self-sustaining!  :icon_sunny:

Reminder to all Diner Contributors, do NOT try to make a Recurring Donation, it doesn't work.  Only Single Donations are processed by Pay Pal.  We're still working on that problem and other upgrades.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DINER ACHIEVES SUSTAINABILITY!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I am Pleased to Report that the Diner is now for the most part Self-Sustaining from Donations, despite the problems with the Recurring Donations.

The last 2 months have seen enough Donations to cover the main Server and the Soundcloud Bill and URL Registration.

I am looking into paying up 2 years in advance on everything, so that when I buy my Ticket to the Great Beyond in the likely not too distant future, the rest of the Diners will be able to reorganize and keep it running until the Internet Goes Dark.

The Diner remains relatively CHEAP to run because of the GIFT of services from folks like Peter, who set it up, Doomer Support who does maintenance periodically, and the Content Providers like me, Surly, Monsta and others.

There will be NO ADS of any kind in the forseeable future for the Diner because of the GENEROSITY of the Diners, both Lurkers and Loudmouths!  LOL.

Thanks to all who have contributed, and please remember NOT to sign up for a Recurring Contribution, as these things still do not Process.  Just make a Donation one time whenever you feel the need to divest yourself of some of your FRN Toilet Paper.  For a while, it may keep the Diner running.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
Day-um. Good work.

At this point would you rather see a small donation from yours truly go to the Diner or to SUN? Seems like SUN might need it more at the moment, to keep the non-profit status in place?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
BIGGEST DONATION EVER!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 05:46:23 AM »
YOWZA!

A BIG ONE JUST ROLLED IN FROM ONE OF OUR LURKERS!  UPPER TRIPLE DIGITS!

WE ARE NOW PAID UP ON THE DINER SERVER AND SOUNDCLOUD FOR THE NEXT 8 MONTHS!

THE DINER IS SELF-SUPPORTING!
  :o :o :o    :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

NEXT TASK, GETTING THIS GOING TO SET UP A SUNSTEAD!

NEVER QUIT, NEVER SAY DIE UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS!  ;D ;D ;D

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
Wow! Awesome.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.