AuthorTopic: Collapse Cafe 9/21/2014  (Read 3331 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Collapse Cafe 9/21/2014
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
Fun Vidcast with Roamer talking about life out in the Bakken and then Steve from Economic Undertow joined us to talk about general monetary issues, then Monsta dropped in from the UK to talk a little about retail banking issues.  Nice casual chat about Doom.  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DL65z3ikol8?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DL65z3ikol8?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse Cafe 9/21/2014
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »
I watched this one...first in a month or so. I appreciate the fact that RE asked Steve if he thought collapse was a year or two out.  I don't think Steve really answered this question. All in all, just a lot of doomer back slapping.  It's like watching a "support group". I suppose this is why I do not tune into many of these vidcasts/podcasts. 

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
I watched this one...first in a month or so. I appreciate the fact that RE asked Steve if he thought collapse was a year or two out.  I don't think Steve really answered this question. All in all, just a lot of doomer back slapping.  It's like watching a "support group". I suppose this is why I do not tune into many of these vidcasts/podcasts.

More Negative Waves from JP.  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ncbEucjsNFU?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ncbEucjsNFU?feature=player_detailpage</a>

Fortunately, we have plenty of folks who do not agree with JP.  The Anniversary Vidcast with Ugo and Gail has around 1550 Views now.  The Cli-Fi Podcast is pulling in listens at a clip of around 20/hour, now at 352 on Opening Day.  :icon_sunny:

For me, it was nice to talk to Roamer and find out more about what he is doing in the Bakken.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »

I'm sure your groupie followers are hypnotized by your "smooth - no debate" casts.  But I just don't see this pulling in newbies and retaining them. In these casts, everyone is a doomer - there is no debate or argument.  Just doom masturbation. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »

I'm sure your groupie followers are hypnotized by your "smooth - no debate" casts.  But I just don't see this pulling in newbies and retaining them. In these casts, everyone is a doomer - there is no debate or argument.  Just doom masturbation.

According to Google Analytics, your assessment would be incorrect.

The Diner is up 50% in Daily Visitors over the last 2 months from an average of 400 Visitors/Day to 600 now.

Diner circulation is up 100% from a year ago at around 40,000 Page Views/Month to around 85,000 now.

The Diner Split between New and Returning Visitors stays around a near perfect 50% as the circulation increases.  If we were not keeping newbies, the Returning Visitor percentage would be dropping.

Far as Groupies go, wait till my first Live Performance at the Superdome!  :icon_mrgreen:

RE Superstar of Doom TM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:38:23 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
now at 352 on Opening Day.  :icon_sunny:

Cli-Fi Podcast has now passed the 400 Listen Barrier @ 404.  That is an additional 52 Listeners in the last 1.5 hours.  Around 30 Listeners/Hour right now. :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
I share JoeP's sentiments about alot of doomer backslapping going on.  I logged onto the cafe just hoping for a more open ended cafe discussion, didn't expect to be put on the spot about anything.   For the record I don't have a well formed opinion about where we are at and what is likely concerning collapse.  The general format of these little chats implicitly assumes we are on similar perspectives.

I do very much fear that a fracing bubble may precipitate economic turmoil in the next year or so. I don't think it means a complete unwind of the industrial complex though.  I'm pretty doom agnostic right now, never the less i'm more inclined than ever to get rolling on SUNstead projects, preferably in deeper wilderness country, not because of fear but because its my lifestyle preference. 

To me the far far more interesting and fruitful conversation we could all be having is how to evolve new solar based lifestyles using a hybridization of the tremendous amount of technology we have available at this point.  Which is exactly what i plan to focus on once i have the money saved up to get rolling on it.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
I share JoeP's sentiments about alot of doomer backslapping going on.  I logged onto the cafe just hoping for a more open ended cafe discussion, didn't expect to be put on the spot about anything.   For the record I don't have a well formed opinion about where we are at and what is likely concerning collapse.  The general format of these little chats implicitly assumes we are on similar perspectives.

I do very much fear that a fracing bubble may precipitate economic turmoil in the next year or so. I don't think it means a complete unwind of the industrial complex though.  I'm pretty doom agnostic right now, never the less i'm more inclined than ever to get rolling on SUNstead projects, preferably in deeper wilderness country, not because of fear but because its my lifestyle preference. 

To me the far far more interesting and fruitful conversation we could all be having is how to evolve new solar based lifestyles using a hybridization of the tremendous amount of technology we have available at this point.  Which is exactly what i plan to focus on once i have the money saved up to get rolling on it.

It is always a treat to hear from you Roamer. I wish you the absolut best in anything you are pursuing.  You have my email address, so  anytime you would like to chat about anything, do not hesitate to shoot me an email. You are the real deal. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
I share JoeP's sentiments about alot of doomer backslapping going on.

I made an Open Invitation for anybody to show up.  If somebody with the opposite perspective showed up, there would be less "backslapping" and more CNN style YELLING.  LOL.

JP is free to show up at one of these Doom Chats and share his perspective with our VAST Viewership.  :icon_sunny:

Meanwhile, his After-the-Fact Negative Waves are just Sour Grapes. :P

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:11:03 PM »
Diner Soundcloud is now past 500 Total Listens on the day.

We may break through to 700 today.  Past record for total listens in a day is around 666  :evil4:.  LOL.

RE
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:12:50 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
I share JoeP's sentiments about alot of doomer backslapping going on.

I made an Open Invitation for anybody to show up.  If somebody with the opposite perspective showed up, there would be less "backslapping" and more CNN style YELLING.  LOL.

JP is free to show up at one of these Doom Chats and share his perspective with our VAST Viewership.  :icon_sunny:

Meanwhile, his After-the-Fact Negative Waves are just Sour Grapes. :P

RE

It takes real effort to create something. Effort, invention, and many hours.

Criticizing the work and efforts of others while creating/contributing NOTHING is just so . . . MKing.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »

It takes real effort to create something. Effort, invention, and many hours.

An UNGODLY number of hours in this case.  ::)

Parenthetically though, we blew by Gail on OFW Global today on Alexa.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »

For me, it was nice to talk to Roamer and find out more about what he is doing in the Bakken.

RE

Looked like he was transmitting from a mancamp. We didn't even have telephone service to some of those, back in the day. I also didn't catch whether or not his service uses mud pulse telemetry (the stuff I grew up on) or if he is in on the new electro-magnetic stuff, I've seen the demos at conferences and whatnot but it wasn't around back when we were inventing these types of technologies. He probably isn't using the old steering tools anymore, talk about old technology,  my guess is there is no training anymore for how to use a whipstock either, but I am curious, are they still using single shots to occasionally benchmark the MWD tools? Are well bore surveys accepted from the MWD surveyors or does the directional driller run a multi-shot for the final wellbore location?

Sorry I wasn't allowed to respond to your foray into the Bakken earlier Roamer, it was verboten. Enjoy the coming winter!!! Spent one up near Lesser Slave Lake many many moons ago, you never really forget that kind of cold after having been through a winter of it.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »

I think that sounds completely reasonable. I should mention, back when we were running MWD back in the day, some of the hands were literally living on the rigs year round, going to the top of the list for the next job, not having to pay rent, saving their money, and then  buying charter fishing companies with their money, one even bought half of some small island in the Caribbean. Certainly in the kind of career you are embarking on you make hay while the sun shines, I've been through two busts now, one of them while working on the rigs, and when things slow down, they slow hard. It happened in the Bakken during the spring and summer of 2009, and it certainly can happen again if the current heavy duty supply increases in the US continue to put the hurt on investment in less savory places, geo-politically speaking.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »

Looked like he was transmitting from a mancamp. We didn't even have telephone service to some of those, back in the day. I also didn't catch whether or not his service uses mud pulse telemetry (the stuff I grew up on) or if he is in on the new electro-magnetic stuff, I've seen the demos at conferences and whatnot but it wasn't around back when we were inventing these types of technologies. He probably isn't using the old steering tools anymore, talk about old technology,  my guess is there is no training anymore for how to use a whipstock either, but I am curious, are they still using single shots to occasionally benchmark the MWD tools? Are well bore surveys accepted from the MWD surveyors or does the directional driller run a multi-shot for the final wellbore location?

Sorry I wasn't allowed to respond to your foray into the Bakken earlier Roamer, it was verboten. Enjoy the coming winter!!! Spent one up near Lesser Slave Lake many many moons ago, you never really forget that kind of cold after having been through a winter of it.

Hey MKing we're still using mud pulse on the majority of the jobs here.  My understanding is that in the Bakken the depth makes a full on EM job not possible, though we do have a hybrid tool which has both EM and mud pulse which is gaining popularity.  No whipstocks, no multi-shots either, the Drillers accept our surveys as long as qualifiers are good. Wouldn't of even known what you were talking about with whipstocks and multi-shots but for the fact that i've been reading some old school drill engineering textbooks for extra background on the rig.

Not my first winter in the Bakken, spent one winter working on a coal plant not too far away, worse yet i spent part of the last winter working outside building towers in -35 deg windshield.  I'll manage as long as i get some good books and weights to get some exercise in.

I'll be really curious to see where directional drilling tech goes in the coming years, solid state gyros, EM and rotary steerable systems all look pretty interesting.  Could definitely keep drilling costs at bay while we go after the difficult oil.