AuthorTopic: Where Have All the Doomers Gone?  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Where Have All the Doomers Gone?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
I like to keep my eye on the ball the better to stay sharp, same as practising cloudbursting while im driving.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
I recommend, fall in love again, do what you love, take care of those you love, cultivate love wherever you can. Accumulate skills, knowledge and tools.  :emthup:

WHD

Here here!! Duncan has it right.

Statistics, engineering, applied mathematics, relational database programming and how to field strip your 1911 in the dark, put it back together again blindfolded, load it up and still put 2 rounds into the nearest zombies shirt pocket, all can come in handy in the modern world.

Unfortunate that so many don't understand this Duncan, it really is.

You forgot the part about love, MKing.  ;)

There have always been, and always will be, moochers looking to get something for nothing. They don't have any moral compunction about this...this...theft really. They profit by ignoring the costs to the benefits they require.

For every poor welfare moocher, you have the rich kind who profit so handsomely off QE money, assorted investment schemes impoverishing whole countries, manipulating data for profit, gaming the system to swindle current and future generations, polluting for profit without any real liability or concern for short or long term costs, the blowing up of asset bubbles and then when they burst only saving crony rich moochers.  :icon_sunny:

WHD

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
Re said:
Probably the most important reason to continue onward though is to further develop community as more and more people fall off the economic cliff.  I think it is also important to help people understand WHY this is happening, and disseminate knowledge of ways to deal with it, like building Greenhouses, Rocket Mass Heaters, etc.

Yes. And my greenhouse is getting a lot of notice, people walking and driving by. Not finished, a work in progress. I'll let you all know how it goes.

WHD

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Here here!! Duncan has it right.

You forgot the part about love, MKing.  ;)

I've got no problem with love. Difficult to build, raise and maintain a nuclear family without it, over a couple decades. But honestly, the type of faux Christian love for all beings and whatever else the herdthink requires of the zealots? That can be a bit difficult, can you see what would have happened to Darren Wilson if he had just blown kisses at Michael Brown when he was going for his gun?

Love is great, but it won't do you much good trying to express it by hugging a hungry grizzly in the hopes it will change its mind.

Quote from: WHD
There have always been, and always will be, moochers looking to get something for nothing. They don't have any moral compunction about this...this...theft really. They profit by ignoring the costs to the benefits they require.

For every poor welfare moocher, you have the rich kind who profit so handsomely off QE money, assorted investment schemes impoverishing whole countries, manipulating data for profit, gaming the system to swindle current and future generations, polluting for profit without any real liability or concern for short or long term costs, the blowing up of asset bubbles and then when they burst only saving crony rich moochers.  :icon_sunny:

WHD

I already said that. This is such a rich country, we can afford the moochers. Obviously. We do. It does. The moochers certainly don't care a whit about pollution and some of the other side effects of their consumption, even at the reduced levels offered to them by workers comp, social security, mooching from friends and relatives, permanent unemployed status or whatever. They are no different than those with money causing pollution, or whoever the cause de celeb might be blamed on.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »
Re said:
Probably the most important reason to continue onward though is to further develop community as more and more people fall off the economic cliff.  I think it is also important to help people understand WHY this is happening, and disseminate knowledge of ways to deal with it, like building Greenhouses, Rocket Mass Heaters, etc.

Yes. And my greenhouse is getting a lot of notice, people walking and driving by. Not finished, a work in progress. I'll let you all know how it goes.

WHD

You'll get MORE notice with a few pics on the blog.  Shoot some so we can see it.

You should also do Peter's Hydroponic setup in your basement.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Some really good commentary over on the Blog in the WP Comments for this article.

Nice to know people are reading even if they don't like Forum chatting.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 01:05:06 AM »
I have heard that some fire departments are trying to put the smackdown on the moochers, and this seems like a reasonable way of teaching moochers that yes...moocher...there is a cost to your behavior.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again
What's your next "reasonable" solution, taking children on welfare and selling them into slavery?  I'll bet Mrs. O'Leary didn't pay her fire service fee.  http://www.greatchicagofire.org/oleary-legend We already tried this solution of having subscriptions for fire protection, it didn't work.  A burning building anywhere in a city endangers buildings everywhere in the city.

If you want a better solution, put a lien against the house to cover the costs of fighting the fire, and any insurance money or sales proceeds have to go to that first.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »
What's your next "reasonable" solution, taking children on welfare and selling them into slavery?

"Reasonable Solution" and "MKing" in the same post is an Oxymoron.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 02:36:35 AM »
I have heard that some fire departments are trying to put the smackdown on the moochers, and this seems like a reasonable way of teaching moochers that yes...moocher...there is a cost to your behavior.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again
What's your next "reasonable" solution, taking children on welfare and selling them into slavery?  I'll bet Mrs. O'Leary didn't pay her fire service fee.  http://www.greatchicagofire.org/oleary-legend We already tried this solution of having subscriptions for fire protection, it didn't work.  A burning building anywhere in a city endangers buildings everywhere in the city.

If you want a better solution, put a lien against the house to cover the costs of fighting the fire, and any insurance money or sales proceeds have to go to that first.

Note MKing's term of the word "moocher." Oh he's bright enough, give him that. Carefully calibrated to invoke Ayn Rand and her satanic gospel; of which Emmie is yet another adherent.

There's a board for you, Emmie: www.theburningplatform.com

They gather there to lick and sniff one another, and they are Just. Like. You.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:53 AM »
Some really good commentary over on the Blog in the WP Comments for this article.

RE

Well, you know that from the numbers. Log on and look down, and at most any time  find 60 people on this site, any three of whom might be logged into the Forum.

Plus, you got a new blog article from Mister Roboto, and a WHD sighting.  What's not to like?
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 03:00:10 AM »

Jonathan Swift anticipated the comedic stylings of MKing several hundred years ago. His "A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People From Being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Publick" satirical essay from 1729, is where he suggests that the Irish eat their own children or sell them to the rich as food.  This in response to the English penchant for absentee landlordism and general exploitation of the Irish.

"I grant this food may be somewhat dear, and therefore very proper for Landlords, who as they have already devoured most of the Parents, seem to have the best Title to the Children."

We've all seen this play before.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 03:05:57 AM »

RE

Well, you know that from the numbers. Log on and look down, and at most any time  find 60 people on this site, any three of whom might be logged into the Forum.

Plus, you got a new blog article from Mister Roboto, and a WHD sighting.  What's not to like?

It's pretty good overall, but I am never satisfied.  LOL.

We are on a MISSION FROM GOD!

Surly               RE

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 03:19:38 AM »

Quote from: WHD

WHD

I already said that. This is such a rich country, we can afford the moochers. Obviously. We do. It does. The moochers certainly don't care a whit about pollution and some of the other side effects of their consumption, even at the reduced levels offered to them by workers comp, social security, mooching from friends and relatives, permanent unemployed status or whatever. They are no different than those with money causing pollution, or whoever the cause de celeb might be blamed on.

What a remarkable bit of tortured logic and equivocation. Breathtaking to behold. The welfare mother the moral equivalent of the capitalist who uses goverment leases, free money and corporate welfare to export costs off the balance sheet and onto the backs of the taxpayers.  quite a bit of leverage for a welfare mother.

But all tarred with the same tired ass, libertarian brush.  A variant of the "both sides do it" meme used as an excuse for intellectual laziness by the corporate media.

And note how "social security" is tossed in there with the list of "mooches."  this is a favorite technique of the agents of the plutocrats, in search for ever more money to deliver into the pockets of people who can never have enough .Social security is paid for with your money and your employers if working for wages, and all your money if self employed.  Beware of this when these so-called "reformers" come knocking.

And if you see MKing, secure your wallet and hide the silverware.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 04:13:25 AM »
What's your next "reasonable" solution, taking children on welfare and selling them into slavery?

If you do that, you'd be cuttin' in on Pope Francis' action. He's up on charges of child trafficking.
Here's the link.
Kevin Annett: Vancouver&Bangkok top child-trafficking cities. Archbishop, Judges in child sacrifices

"Reasonable Solution" and "MKing" in the same post is an Oxymoron.  ::)

RE
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
I recommend, fall in love again, do what you love, take care of those you love, cultivate love wherever you can. Accumulate skills, knowledge and tools.  :emthup:
WHD

This is the path I'm taking. Especially the love part -- though opening further into love means ... having to look closely at everything which inhibits, suppresses or denies it. So it's sometimes hard work, and scary! But worth it.  :( :laugh: ;) :o
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!