AuthorTopic: Where Have All the Doomers Gone?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Where Have All the Doomers Gone?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »
Something is going on with experienced doomers.  I include myself in the observation.  In the face of a mass media manipulated by the Powers That Be the futility of expounding collapse points of view has become apparent.  To what end will we piss in the wind.  Nobody cares.  The extreme difficulty of trying to prepare for collapse with a lack of collapse aware existing community is apparent to us all.  Keeping the wolf from the door today becomes the focus of the day, not what the wolf will do tomorrow. 

The greater part of society is now in full decline.  The drive for hedonistic distraction by electron has become the only interest.  This drive is now stronger than the average sex drive.  The idea of contributing to a greater good is forgotten.  So many lost in their personal desire for pleasure and distraction now falter at providing even for their own families.  To imagine that such would care where society and the world is going is silly.  We are the land of I've got mine you get yours.  The collapse community has had an epiphany and realizes concern about the global health of the planet and the future of our nation is a private concern to be shared only between those of like minds.  Anything else has become a wank and a threat to HOMELAND SECURITY.

I say the collapse community is still very much alive but that to evangelize is futile unwanted and even dangerous.  I say this has now become appreciated by the core of the collapse community.  America is a religious land that sacrifices all to a religion of positive thinking and the god of growth.  Reality is a poor player upon this stage which for all its sound and fury now signifies nothing in our land of lost souls.  Talking about reality is blasphemy and the current collapse of gas prices gives the PTB party line a first down in their deceptive game of life.

And to those who felt the needed to disparage the green in this thread.  I say f u!
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
I say the collapse community is still very much alive but that to evangelize is futile unwanted and even dangerous.  I say this has now become appreciated by the core of the collapse community.

I became aware of peak oil back in the late 70s with M. King Hubbard's book.  So, I have been preparing for a couple decades: I took a survival course with Christopher Nyerges back around 1993.  I mainly was working the environmental side, I knew that people wouldn't come around to the economics until after conventional oil production peaked in the mid 2000s and gas prices spiked a few years after that.  What I was totally unprepared for was how quickly people adapted to paying close to $4 a gallon.  I thought that was going to be the jolt to wake people up, like pouring boiling water into a cold aquarium full of frogs.  So, 2009 was when I realized there would never be a mass movement that would make any difference. 

So where are all the doomers?  As one prepper puts it, it's "Too late to fix things, and too early to fight."
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
I took an interesting class my junior year in college - Environmental Economics. This was the year 1981. One of the course material books we used in this class was "The Limits to Growth".  So I suppose the idea of limited finite resource supplies has always been bouncing around in my head since reading this book 33 years ago.  It became more pronounced beginning around 2005 when oil prices really started climbing. 

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »
From  jdwheeler42's link: 

America is like a speeding locomotive that is on fire and someone has greased the tracks. Ahead in the distance; the bridge over the chasm is out and there is nothing we can do to stop it. We are going over the cliff.

Perhaps just another collapse metaphor; but one that is no exaggeration.  And a longer quote from the same article. 

"
I personally donít believe that a political solution to our nationís problems is possible at this point. There are too many people beholden to too many special interests that have too much money. I will still vote for the candidates I believe in, but I am not going to simply vote for a party because I believe they will do anything different than another party.

I am also not going to go riot or protest my government because that is the same as voting in terms of futility. We are at an odd place in history I believe where unfortunately we have to let the music play out and see what happens. I donít believe we can fix anything now, but you can prepare. I also donít believe that we need violent revolution. At least not at this time although I do believe that is in our potential future. It is the path we seem to be on and none of the traditional methods of averting this have worked. This could ultimately be our own fault but regardless, things need to change. The time isnít now, but I do think it is inevitable.
"

Perhaps  if the collapse community had a politician we could believe in things might be different.  But Bernie Sanders is only one guy.  The rails are greased.

To JoeP.  I read 'The Limits to Growth' before '81' and have collapse roots that go way way back.  I took LTG it in but for years later I was young and foolish and was believing like a good properly raised drone and ignorant citizen that responsible people were working the problem.

HA HA HA and HO HO HO to that !
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:52:28 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
I read 'The Limits to Growth' before '81' and have collapse roots that go way way back.  I took LTG it in but for years later I was young and foolish and was believing like a good properly raised drone and ignorant citizen that responsible people were working the problem.
Oh, but they have been... seriously!  It's called

DEPOPULATION

Your mistake was thinking that they weren't total sociopaths....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »

Perhaps  if the collapse community had a politician we could believe in things might be different.

I don't think anybody could have stopped this outcome, the whole Political game has always been a Racket, with the energy and banking industries both full of criminals and con men who fleece the public for their own personal gain.

What will of course put a stop to it is the collapse of the monetary system, but this will take a while to play out and there will be quite the mess in the aftermath.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »

Perhaps  if the collapse community had a politician we could believe in things might be different.

I don't think anybody could have stopped this outcome, the whole Political game has always been a Racket, with the energy and banking industries both full of criminals and con men who fleece the public for their own personal gain.
The last chance we had to seriously make a difference politically with regard to Peak Oil was Jimmy Carter's second term.   ::)

For the monetary system it was before Woodrow Wilson....

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »

What will of course put a stop to it is the collapse of the monetary system, but this will take a while to play out and there will be quite the mess in the aftermath.

RE

No nobody could have stopped the outcome but with some political skin in the game candle and cup sales might have done well.  Circles of the concerned could be singing Kumbaya in parks.

Someone's crying, my Lord, kum bay ya      Someone's crying, my Lord, kum bay ya,      O Lord, kum bay ya.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »

I plan to take the plunge today and finally buy a Volt, and I'm helping one of the kids buy another Prius. Since gas is suddenly cheap, the lack of demand for sensible cars has driven the price down. It's still a good decision.

Saw this and thought of the fun you can have  EV if you just went a WEE bit more upscale Eddie.

Having gone 0-60 in under 3 seconds before on a motorcycle, I can say that this Tesla makes it look like, and it apparently is, one of those delights you can experience every day on your way to the office without near the drama I am familiar with.

The reactions in the video are about right for even slower acceleration, having pulled this thing a time or two on unsuspecting passengers with far less powerful cages.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/automotive/2015/01/29/tesla-0-to-60-insane-mode/22516411/
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama