AuthorTopic: Peak Customers: The Final Liquidation Sale  (Read 8270 times)

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Peak Customers: The Final Liquidation Sale
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »
I suppose Komodo Dragons were high maintenance on the Ark, ya think? Huh?

Hah!

A friend of mine is the best DP (director of photography) in the area, and shot a commercial for the Virginia aquarium about the Komodo dragons, complete with open mouth and flicking tongue, complete with extreme close-up.  And if memory serves, the Virginia Aquarium placed in effigy to advertise the fact that they had them.  As I recall, both efforts one advertising awards.

I'm in love with this critter. Very interesting differences between a Dragon's routine and mine.  I love this reptile because it has a story different than my life.

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »
I'm in love with this critter. Very interesting differences between a Dragon's routine and mine.  I love this reptile because it has a story different than my life.
Have you seen The Freshman with Marlon Brando and Matthew Broderick?

Warning: if not, you will absolutely hate it if you don't stick around to the end....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »
I'm in love with this critter. Very interesting differences between a Dragon's routine and mine.  I love this reptile because it has a story different than my life.
Have you seen The Freshman with Marlon Brando and Matthew Broderick?

Warning: if not, you will absolutely hate it if you don't stick around to the end....

I have not seen The Freshman.  Will certainly record it next time it pops up in the online tv guide. Looked it up in Rotten Tomatoes and it seems like a Komodo is Kontra?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:50:36 PM by JoeP »
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
Getting back to Inflation v. Deflation, its like walking towards a cliff-edge where the edge is actually a narrowing point - you will fall eventually, but whether you go off the left side or the right side depends on the way the controlling forces (the central banks) are pushing, and how hard.

At the moment the macro threat is Deflation, so lower interest rates and money-printing is trying to create inflation.  But the amounts needed for it to work are getting bigger, and Black Swan events (like a Grexit) would need MUCH more to stabilise things.  And the feedback loops between financial data and the corresponding corrections are getting faster and less accurate.

To complicate matters, the newly printed money isn't going to the people at the bottom, who would spend it all as soon as they got it, giving the retail sector a good boost. Instead it is going to those who are creditworthy, who buy more shares, paintings, race-horses, luxury penthouses, and inflating prices of same.  So even now Deflation hasn't won.

And all the time central bank interventions in markets is hiding inherent risk - Ex-Plunge Protection Team Whistleblower: "Governments Control Markets; There Is No Price Discovery Anymore" making sudden big bankruptcies more likely.

You can't say the question is settled yet, because "it" hasn't happened yet.  And anyway if it doesn't say so on Wikipedia, it's not true.   :-\
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
Don't say it can't be done, because it has been done, and will be done a thousand times bigger if necessary.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-10-14/pensioners-big-winners-in-104b-stimulus-splurge/541086
Pensioners big winners in $10.4b stimulus splurge
Emma Rodgers
14 Oct 2008

Australia's 4 million pensioners are set to receive almost $5 billion in payments before Christmas in a new economic stimulus plan announced by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd today.

Low income families and first-time homebuyers are also set for benefits under the $10.4 billion plan, which the Government hopes will protect Australia's economy from slowing growth as the global economic crisis continues.

Single aged pensioners will receive a payment of $1,400, with couples receiving $2,100.

Families who are eligible for Family Tax Benefit A will be paid $1,000 for each child, as will those who have dependent children on other benefits such as youth allowance.

Mr Rudd says almost 4 million children will receive the payment.

Disabilitiy pensioners are also eligible for the $1,000 payment as are carers.

The payments will be made on December 8.
[more]
The State is a body of armed men