AuthorTopic: The Year in Doom 2014  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
The Year in Doom 2014
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »
Diners, I am asking for your help.

Even though it is been busy December for me, it occurs to me now would be a time to look back at the past year and write about the year doom. In your opinion, and from your perspective, what were the top stories this past year over that scenes would be worth considering? 

Some obvious candidates:

Ferguson/race war/hypermilitarized police

Ukraine civil war

MH-1/MH370 false flags

Ebola

ISIS

Midterm election results

State by state cannabis legalization

Boko Haram

Zionist Apartheid State's rape of Gaza

Dow 18,000, peak .01 per cent

What are your suggestions? Would welcome them.
I plan to work on this during the next several days, so if you have ideas, reply to this thread.

Thanks.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Year in Doom 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »
Growing economy?

Lower gas prices stimulating road trips and travel/tourism all around the country?

Best jobs growth in years?

New car sales breaking or nearly breaking records and consumers snap them up?

Lower unemployment?

Yet more exponential growth in renewables?

Ivanpah fully functional and online?

The first full decade past Darley's claimed peak natural gas cliff in America and record abundance and low prices still persist?

Doom so bad that doomers themselves are leaving the fold and fleeing to BAU?

China and Russia imploding because neither of them are as well run, economically speaking, as Exceptional America?

MKing reaches the 1000+ banned posts milestone?

Political sea change to throw out hope and changers that provided neither?

I mean Doom has been coming so thick and fast that most people probably can't even see it!!

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
Oil Price Collapse

Currency Wars & Yen, Ruble, Euro, Rupee, Real devaluation

Junk Bond Market Yield Explosion

Ukrainian Collapse

Malaysian Airline Downings

Japan-China South China Sea Battles

Secession Battles in Wales and Catalonia

Ebola

$18T Federal Deficit

Year of the SuperTyphoon

Full List (Bold for the BIG ONES)

3.1 Tropical Storm Lingling (Agaton)
3.2 Tropical Storm Kajiki (Basyang)
3.3 Typhoon Faxai
3.4 Tropical Depression 04W (Caloy)
3.5 Tropical Storm Peipah (Domeng)
3.6 Severe Tropical Storm Tapah
3.7 Tropical Storm Mitag (Ester)
3.8 Tropical Storm Hagibis
3.9 Typhoon Neoguri (Florita)
3.10 Typhoon Rammasun (Glenda)

3.11 Typhoon Matmo (Henry)
3.12 Severe Tropical Storm Nakri (Inday)
3.13 Typhoon Halong (Jose)
3.14 Typhoon Genevieve
3.15 Severe Tropical Storm Fengshen
3.16 Tropical Depression 14W (Karding)
3.17 Typhoon Kalmaegi (Luis)
3.18 Tropical Storm Fung-wong (Mario)
3.19 Severe Tropical Storm Kammuri
3.20 Typhoon Phanfone (Neneng)
3.21 Typhoon Vongfong (Ompong)
3.22 Typhoon Nuri (Paeng)

3.23 Tropical Storm Sinlaku (Queenie)
3.24 Typhoon Hagupit (Ruby)

January 2014 Springtime in Alaska

California Drought

Double the Average of yearly Earthquakes

Rise of ISIS

Richard Branson Virgin Spaceship Crash

NYS BANS Fracking

Ferguson, NYC, Cop Killings

52 Dead Banksters

and of course

THE METEORIC RISE OF THE DOOMSTEAD DINER FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP OF THE COLLAPSE BLOGOSPHERE!

Now at 83,000 Page Views/ Month (Google Analytics)
79,000 Listens on Soundcloud (Soundcloud Stats)
111 Frostbite Falls Daily Rants
57K FSoA, 266K Global Ranking (Alexa)
18 Page Views/Visitor, 52 min Time on Site (Alexa)
Video Cafes 600 Views Average (You Tube Stats)

April 2014 Diner Convocation

SUN gets Non-Profit status from the IRS

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.  LOL.

RE
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:49:23 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:33:49 PM »
Diners, I am asking for your help.

Even though it is been busy December for me, it occurs to me now would be a time to look back at the past year and write about the year doom. In your opinion, and from your perspective, what were the top stories this past year over that scenes would be worth considering? 

I'm probably not the best person to be throwing my two cents in on this because I've been relatively in a newz-avoidance mode most of the year.  My advice would be to go with the story/topic that is currently a player.  For example - Ukraine.  Or an environmental topic that is currently a big unresolved concern.  I'm NOT including the Cali drought in this category because I hear they've gotten a fair amount of precip recently.  I still think it's a concern, but bad timing far as a Doom topic goes.

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
I'm NOT including the Cali drought in this category because I hear they've gotten a fair amount of precip recently.  I still think it's a concern, but bad timing far as a Doom topic goes.

From National Geographic Newz

RE

Photo of people walking in rain.

Students made their way to classes at California State University, Fullerton, on December 2, as a powerful Pacific storm swept through the state.

Photograph by Mark Rightmire, The Orange County Register/AP

Brian Clark Howard

National Geographic

Published December 3, 2014

Rain has been soaking much of California this week, but the inches of much needed water are only a drop in the bucket amid the worst drought in the state's recorded history, experts warn.

"The rain is welcome—it sure helps—but one good storm is not enough," says Jeffrey Lorens, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service's Western Region. "We're still in a drought, and we will be for some time."

The rain threatens many areas of California with floods and mudslides, largely because of recent damage from wildfires spurred by the drought and by higher than normal heat.

Although the drought is far from over, the rain is already bringing some benefits, says Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at Stanford. The wildfire season has officially come to an end, he says. Grasses are sprouting in northern California, which didn't happen until as late as February last year. Wildlife and local watersheds are getting a break.

Rains that began on Monday and are expected to continue until Wednesday night or Thursday morning have already soaked most of the state with at least one inch of water, says Lorens.

He forecasts that most of the state will receive up to two inches of rain by the time the storm ends, while some spots in coastal mountains will see up to seven inches.

It seems impressive, but when it comes to rain, the state has a lot of catching up to do. The past few years have been so dry that most of the state is behind on precipitation by one to two years. This three-year period is being called the worst drought in the state's recorded history.

Photo of rain beginning to fall on recent burn areas in Carlsbad, California.
Rain begins to fall this week on recent burn spots in Carlsbad, in southern California.
Photograph by Mike Blake, Reuters

'A Long Way Off From Making a Dent'

November typically ushers in the wet season in California, but last month saw only 70 percent of the normal amount of precipitation.

San Francisco, for instance, is 27 inches (69 centimeters) of rain below normal levels this year. Los Angeles is 25 inches (64 centimeters) below normal, and San Diego is 13 inches (33 centimeters) below normal, according to Jan Null, a meteorologist who runs the consulting company Golden Gate Weather Services.

As a result of the dry conditions, most of the state's reservoirs are far below normal, with some as low as 5 percent of capacity.

That the ground has been so dry means that much of this week's rainwater has soaked into the ground, where it will eventually start to refill reservoirs or recharge groundwater.

Most water managers estimate that the state needs to see about 150 percent of normal rainfall in a given year to get out of the drought, says Null, who spent more than two decades with the National Weather Service in California.

"We're at the point where every inch of rain is beneficial, but we've had a severe deficit over the past three years," he says.

Every inch of rain in San Francisco erases only 3 percent of the city's recent deficit. "That means we don't have to make up every inch, but we're still a long way off from making a dent," says Null. (Learn more about the water crisis.)

Some relief may be on the way, with NOAA's three-month estimate predicting above normal precipitation for most of California.

The fast falling rain of recent days has elevated the risk of floods and mudslides in some areas. "Where we may begin to see some problems is below some steep slopes," Lorens notes.

Areas that had recently faced wildfires are also at increased risk for mudslides. That includes parts of the Sierra Nevada and the mountains around Los Angeles. Fire removes vegetation that otherwise absorbs precipitation, and it can leave a crust on the soil that makes water run off quickly.

Result of Changing Climate?

The drought has been driven by an unusual weather system over the ocean, likely exacerbated by climate change. Contributing to the dryness, this year is also shaping up to be the hottest on record in California, Swain says.

A key cause of the drought and heat, he says, has been a high pressure system, or "ridge," that was parked over the Pacific off the California coast. That system blocked storms from coming onshore. (Swain's Stanford colleagues published a study in September concluding that human-induced climate change has made that ridge much more likely.)

The ridge dissipated by late November and has been replaced by a low-pressure system, which has allowed rains to sweep in from the ocean, says Swain. The water off California has been warmer than usual, which is adding to the moisture available.

So far, however, the overall Pacific system does not resemble a typical El Niño, the pattern of heat transfer that drives large-scale weather changes and normally means more rain on the U.S. West Coast. What's happening on the coast could turn into an El Niño, but it's not one yet, because the Pacific waters are unusually warm. It takes patches of warm and cold for an El Niño to develop.

Watch: Find out how simple changes in ocean currents can lead to catastrophic weather conditions.

Scientists estimates that over the next few months, there is a 50 to 60 percent chance that an El Niño will develop. That would be the first time since 2009-2010, for a phenomenon that tends to occur in cycles of two or seven years.

"But it's important to remember that California is very sensitive to what's going on all around the northern Pacific," says Swain. "El Niño is not a slam dunk for drought relief, even if it does come."

Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
The recent rains might be a new trend for California.  Too early to tell, but I'm trying to be objective and positive here. No NEGATIVE WAVES please. Who knows, maybe the trend will change for the Austin area? That would a nice gift for our friend Eddie wouldn't it? 
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
The recent rains might be a new trend for California.  Too early to tell, but I'm trying to be objective and positive here. No NEGATIVE WAVES please. Who knows, maybe the trend will change for the Austin area? That would a nice gift for our friend Eddie wouldn't it?

Time will tell how it goes.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
Surly,
The failure of the NEOCONs to get WWIII started through the fun and mayhem in Syria, the Ukraine (MH17) and the recent cromnibus "appropriations" to BUY oil and gas infrastructure in the Ukraine and FUND propaganda against the Russians there too is THE story of the YEAR because it ties all the loose and rather desperate "ends" the fascists are up to in their Machiavellian zeal to justify WHATEVER to finish the job of obtaining the Apex Predator "brave new"ONE world gooberment of fossil fuel fascism.

The fact that this blatant and barbaric bullshit has been so brazen has actually united the BRICS in a currency battle against the dollar.

That is another blow to the NEO-Liberal EVOLUTIONARY DEAD END Predators 'R' US. We should have been in full blown war hysteria right now. If THAT had happened, the price of oil WOULD NOT have tanked. The WAR was part of saving fossil fueldom's bottom line! There are several historical examples of a "war" showing up RIGHT WHEN fossil fueldom NEEDED ONE.

Also, the HUGE effects of climate disruption making the Renewable Energy transition more imperative in the public's eyes would have been swept under the SUICIDAL Main Stream Media rug.

Our ASS is hanging by a thread but DOOM has been postponed (sorry, RE  :icon_mrgreen:) BECAUSE the WAR these bastards wanted DID NOT HAPPEN.

Of course, they will keep trying  :evil4:. But it gets more expensive for them EVERY DAY.

People are absolutely DISGUSTED with our government. And I DON'T mean just people like us.

Just check out the comments on a Ralph Nader Article at Counterpunch. See the HUGE number of up votes for conservatives, no less, that say we have a fascist government and have lost our freedom!  :o

Sure, they think that we can "go back" to when we had freedom. LOL! But the point is people REALLY are pissed. This is a huge obstacle for the Bernays style government Modus Operandi for obtaining a Causus Belli scam. GOOD!   :emthup:

The top guy on their hit list is a tough cookie. They had better bring a sandwich if they are going to take him on.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wYr_5gRMFRU#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wYr_5gRMFRU#&fs=1</a>
Russia's leader pets a Leopard. The cameraman got a good scare!  :o  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4W85OnL4xtY#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4W85OnL4xtY#&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3boC2D-iviI#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3boC2D-iviI#&fs=1</a>

AND NOW FOR A GREAT CAT FIGHT!  :emthup:  :icon_mrgreen:

CNN Edits Out RT Hostís Nasty (Agelbert note: but truthful!) On-Air Dispute with Christiane Amanpour     :angry4: :iamwithstupid:  :whip:

by Andrew Kirell | 3:23 pm, November 24th, 2014

Russiaís state-funded cable news channel is taking aim at CNN for inviting an RT host to discuss Kremlin politics but editing out her fierce criticisms of the American cable outlet.

In the Know host Anissa Naouai appeared last week on Christiane AmanpourĎs CNN International nightly talk show to defend her network against accusations that it is part of Russian President Vladimir PutinĎs ďpropaganda war.Ē The conversation apparently took a drastic turn for the worse when the guest went after the hostís personal connections to the U.S. Department of State.

Ultimately, Amanpour told Naouai, the most contentious bits were unworthy of airtime and would certainly be edited out. In response to the edits, RT posted video of its half of Naouaiís satellite feed, showing her answers that were omitted from the final product. CNN posted the full transcript to its website in the interest of transparency; RT did the same.

To be clear: News outlets routinely edit pre-taped interviews ó normally for timing purposes, but also to cut down on redundancies or rambling questions/answers ó and so this is not at all an ethical scandal. As a pre-taped show, Amanpour makes its guests aware that they will be edited down for time. This particular interview, as youíll see in a moment, happened to go very long.

But considering edits are a common practice in the news business, this story provides a fascinating glimpse into how and why words get left on the cutting room floor.

And when you compare the unedited clips to what actually aired on CNN, youíll notice RT is correct about one thing: Most of Naouaiís direct criticism of the American network and its host were edited out for broadcast. At one point in the unedited transcript, Amanpour herself makes clear to Naouai that the personal attacks render some of the footage unusable for TV.

The first tense moment removed entirely from broadcast occurred when Amanpour suggested to the other guest, anti-Putin politician Mikhail Kasyanov, that Naouai admitted RT perhaps exaggerates the threat of neo-Nazism in Ukraine:

AMANPOUR: Is it more than exaggeration? And as such, is it a fair interpretation of whatís going on and what are the consequences?

KASYANOV: Thatís not Ė

NAOUAI: I didnít admit that it was an exaggeration. I said who are we to say that itís an exaggeration as non-Russians. 30 millions of them were killed in World War II. I said, ďWho are we to say itís an exaggeration?Ē Thatís what I said exactly.

AMANPOUR: No, you didnít say that. You said they may Ė that might be an exaggeration, but then who are we to say that fears are exaggerated? Iíve got that on record. So donít worry about it. Thatís going to be played.

NAOUAI: Yes, I didnít admit that it was an exaggeration.

AMANPOUR: All right. But you actually did and Iíll play it and you can dispute it afterwards if you like. But I will play it and itís not a problem. Itís what you said.

Later in the interview, Amanpour asked Nauouai about another Russian channelís error in covering the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 tragedy. The entire passage was edited out, but you can sense the conversation getting more strained as the RT host began to rattle off examples of CNNís own errors:

NAOUAI: I have to point out that I donít represent the Russian media, but RT. I know the image youíre talking about, of course. It should be pointed out also that that image was on the Internet for quite a couple of months Ė unfortunately this channel took the bait. They didnít verify it. We did, of course. Thatís why we didnít show it. But to sort of condemn the First Channel for mistakes that weíve all make Ė- and I remember very well Jim Clancy of CNN showing a video in Donetsk in May of this year of a supposed helicopter being downed by these anti-Kiev fighters. We went online; we checked the video. The video was from Syria. We never even saw a retraction from CNN. So itís a little difficult to judgeÖ

And the discussion truly went off the rails when Naouai brazenly accused Amanpour of being a state propagandist herself. Check out this bitingly personal exchange below, from right after the host asked Naouai if itís ďhealthyĒ for Russian audiences to get only one view from RT. It gets ugly:

NAOUAI: Ötís an absurd question coming from someone thatís propagated the line of the State Department for over 15 years. I mean, itís absolutely absurd. 

AMANPOUR: Well, are you talking to me?

NAOUAI: Yes. Absolutely Iím talking to you. Who else would I be talking to?

AMANPOUR: Are you talking to me?

NAOUAI: Absolutely.

AMANPOUR: Youíve got to be kidding me.

NAOUAI: Youíve propagated the line of the State Department for over 15 years, starting with Yugoslavia and all the way into Syria. And now youíre doing it for Ukraine, essentially. Absolutely, Iím talking to you.

AMANPOUR: Oh, my goodness.  Have you seen any of my reports about Syria? Have you seen any of my reports about Syria?

NAOUAI: Iíve seen lots of your reports and in not one report where you find you questioning the United States government and their policy. And we, with our Russian propaganda, question those arms to the FSA, question those arms to al-Nusra and other leagues. And now today we have ISIS.

Again, this was all removed from broadcast. According to transcripts, Amanpour began scolding her guest for not having an ďadult discussion,Ē but Naouai simply responded that sheíd like for CNNís audience to be made aware of their hostís background. And thatís when the RT host invoked Amanpourís husband, former State Department official James Rubin:

AMANPOUR: They are aware of [my past work], which is why theyíve been watching me for a long time. But listen to me, I would like you seriouslyÖ

NAOUAI: Iím glad they do, and Iím sure they know who James Rubin is, Iím sure they watch your work in Yugoslavia.

AMANPOUR: Öas an act of research and as an act of education, go back and find all my work on Yugoslavia and all my work on Syria and match that with the policy of the United States government and furthermore, go back and watch what launched me and that was a to-and-fro with President Clinton challenging his policy on Bosnia and Yugoslavia. So Anissa, listen, I have respected you but I really donít think that you should be doing this to me, of all people, on this Ė on this broadcast and on this satellite link. And youíre wrong. And I challenge you to go backÖ

NAOUAI: Yes, how dare someone tell CNN to check who their sponsors are, what governments they are working with!

AMANPOUR: No! No!

NAOUAI: How dare someone come on CNN and say that!  ;D

AMANPOUR: No! Hey, excuse me, no, no, no, you just said whatever you wanted to say. When you become ad hominem to me, thatís a problem, because youíre not doing it from a basis of knowledge.

NAOUAI: Well, let your viewers decide, Christiane. I think thatís the fairest way out of this debate.   

Amanpour insisted that Naouai watch her antagonistic 1994 interview with then-President Clinton before making such assertions, and informed her guest: ďYou can be sure Iím not putting this on the air, Anissa. Itís a personal attack.Ē

Naouai said she is familiar with the interview and accused Amanpour of agitating for war in Kosovo. 
The CNN host finally ended it on this note, including an acknowledgement of the fact that sheíll have to provide a polite goodbye for the edited version of the interview:

AMANPOUR: Anissa, come on; youíve lost me, babe. Thank you very much. Thank you very much indeed. I really appreciate it. Iím sorry; I thought we could have an adult  ::) discussion. And we canít. Thank you so much. Alright. Now I have to pretend to thank you.

Watch the edited interview as it aired on CNN below (at link).
THEN watch the truth filled  UNEDITED  portion RT aired (at link):

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-edits-out-rt-hosts-nasty-on-air-dispute-with-christiane-amanpour/

Agelbert NOTE: CNN is part of the USA fascist propaganda machinery. Russia is no saint be they are spot on here.   

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-edits-out-rt-hosts-nasty-on-air-dispute-with-christiane-amanpour/

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:32:19 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
Theres straight shooting, I almost forgotten what a real journalist was.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
One doubts CNN will do many more interviews with RT reporters if they are going to record and air their outgoing feeds.  LOL.

Propaganda War in full Swing here.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
 And to think that in a former unenlightened life of self responsible "innocent ignorance" while trying to follow a path of"self realization", I even admired these slimy cunt bitch prostitutes passing themselves off as feminist ideal career women while every minute spreading their asses wider in the search for masculine acclaim. Every GodDamned one of them from Michelle the Bottemless Bottom to Hillary the inverted penis prosthesis, Christine Lagarde the well sanded African vaginosis and even old Albright, the purveyor of slick sly post menopausal money making Holocaustia deserves to be burned in Hell along with their Satanic partners in Transnational Crime. I hold women to a higher standard and if they fall short of emulating The Holy Virgin they deserve the burning of witches so unfairly given to women of yore. For these prominent whores of today no torture would be sufficient to pay for their betrayal of the true nature of women, unless of course one believes the true nature of women is depraved whoredom. Karpatok

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 08:47:09 PM »
AG, all, thanks for the ideas.

After the thread ripens I'll collect the ideas and get to work.

Watch the edited interview as it aired on CNN below (at link).
THEN watch the truth filled  UNEDITED  portion RT aired (at link):

Agelbert NOTE: CNN is part of the USA fascist propaganda machinery. Russia is no saint be they are spot on here.   

AG, this is absolute GOLD: :emthup: :emthup:

Am reminded of what Chomsky says: ďThe smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....Ē

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
Growing economy?
Lower gas prices stimulating road trips and travel/tourism all around the country?
Best jobs growth in years?
New car sales breaking or nearly breaking records and consumers snap them up?
Lower unemployment?
Yet more exponential growth in renewables?
Ivanpah fully functional and online?
The first full decade past Darley's claimed peak natural gas cliff in America and record abundance and low prices still persist?
Doom so bad that doomers themselves are leaving the fold and fleeing to BAU?
China and Russia imploding because neither of them are as well run, economically speaking, as Exceptional America?

MKing reaches the 1000+ banned posts milestone?

Political sea change to throw out hope and changers that provided neither?
I mean Doom has been coming so thick and fast that most people probably can't even see it!!

Emmie at work.

Offline Ka

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
The rise of protest parties (left and right) in Europe.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Surly,
Glad to be of service.  8)

Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State by RALPH NADER

By  Stephen E.  on April 15, 2014

Format: Hardcover
Polling data shows that Americans are disgusted with their government. Some of us blame the Right. Others blame the Left. Obviously, as one of American History's great progressives, Nader is not neutral in the battle between Right and Left. Far from it. I am not neutral either. I am a conservative, but I cheer this new book by Ralph Nader!

His still-supple mind and pure heart give him the ability to see what would be more obvious to the rest of us if it were not for the partisan hate machines and self interests that maintain our corrupted political system.

Whether on the Left or Right, we know that our government has been captured by the self interested. Super-majorities of Americans - comprised of citizens on the Right and Left - want an end to the legalized bribery and extortion now a the heart of our political system, the restoration of citizen government, fair elections, fair trade, a reasonable and constitutional foreign policy, and a break-up of the big banks. If we would only compartmentalize the areas where our disagreements are intractable, we could then turn and work together to solve many of the nation's critical and massively debilitating problems. We would be, as the title of Nader's book suggests, "Unstoppable."

Comment SNIPPET:
By  Alan F. Sewell  on April 29, 2014

The existing situation stifles all patriotic love of country, and substitutes in its place selfish greed and grasping avarice.

Government, instead of being the embodiment of equality, is but an instrumentality through which especial and individual advantages are to be gained.

By  Robert Krebsbach 
on May 17, 2014

Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase 
A short way into this book, it became clear: Corporatism is the enemy that lovers of democracy, freedom, and justice must unite against. The right/left, conservative/liberal labels are petty distractions that keep us from uniting to stop corporate tyranny.

I thought I was progressive until reading this book, but I resonated so completely with the thoughts of the Greats of conservatism that Nader quotes, that I could just as easily regard myself as conservative. That's how little it matters in the face of corporate economic globalization.

Pat Choate   on May 25, 2014

First, this is a very good book. It is also, I suspect, a disturbing book for those who label themselves as either a "Conservative" or as a "Liberal." As Ralph Nader effectively demonstrates, repeatedly, these epigrams are tools that others use to shape, if not control. the actions of large numbers of such self-identified people. And a major way these actions are shaped by such labels is to keep people from working together on policies and actions where there is agreement.

And the quickest way to ensure discipline and prevent joint action is to brand someone's actions as violating Liberal or Conservative principles.

As Nader documents with numerous examples, Corporations exert a powerful influence in shaping our national policies so that they and their owners are exempt from laws and regulations that hold them accountable. In recent years as these corporations have extended their influence into other nations, they have devised means and ways to use the U.S. Government to exert their influence into those other countries as well. The International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization are examples that immediately spring to mind.

Nader also subtly points out how defunct ideas and ideologies are parsed by Think Tanks and indentured intellectuals to protect Corporate interests and convey to voters a sense of powerlessness by the electorate. Nader provides examples of why that need not be so.

Ralph Nader has been a powerful influence in American public life for more than a half century. Whether you believe that his efforts are a force for a more democratic nation, or not, (I do), what is obvious is that he understands the reality of why and how the processes work, or increasingly do not work.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568584547/counterpunchmaga#customerReviews

The question, rather, is WHO are the Madame Defarge's of TODAY  KNITTING?...                             

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.