AuthorTopic: Martin Armstrong Debunks Obama's False Populism  (Read 16606 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Armstrong Debunks Obama's False Populism
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
Also, you have to remember that as long as you are going to run this type of monetary system, SOMEBODY has to be SOAKED to pay the bills.  You can't Soak the Poor, because you can't get Blood from a Stone.  The Middle Class has been bled dry now also, nothing left to get from them either,.  You can't Soak the Masters of the Universe, because they make the Laws through the Political proxies they buy.  This leaves just the Rich and Filthy Rich to be Soaked.  The Filthy Rich while they don't have enough money to buy politicians do have enough to hide the wealth in offshore tax havens.  Thus you are left with just the Rich locals whose biznesses are right here in America to soak.  You're Elected.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
Look, it's really no skin off my nose if the gooberment takes away the right of middle class people to put money in a tax-favored savings account to send their kids to college. My kids are grown, and I paid their freight without the benefit of such a program.

Actually I once had one but lost it in 96 when the IRS came after me. I never tried to start another one. Nor would I put money in a a Roth IRA or such-like. The gooberment will be taxing those too, in a few more years. It's just a matter of time.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
Fitzgerald: The rich are different than you and me.
    Hemingway: Yes, they have more money.

Great quote, but I'm given to understand that it was actually never said. It was made up by Hemingway. Originally it was in The Snows of Kilimanjaro, which was originally published in a magazine....but Fitzgerald, who was still alive at the time, complained to the publisher.

In later reprints elsewhere Fitzgerald's name was removed and the exchange attributed to a made-up character named Julian.

Fitzgerald complained because it made him look bad.  No tape recorders around in those days, so Hemingway pulled Fitzgerald's name out of it.  However, all you gotta do is read The Great Gatsby to know this is perfectly in synch with Fitzgerald's thinking.  So I think he said it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
Reminds me of another quote that  was never said:

Reporter to Willie Sutton, the famous bank robber: "Mr. Sutton, why is it that you rob banks?"

Sutton to reporter, "Because that's where the money is."

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »
Plenty of us have tried things, have failed, and have learned from the failure, and don't blame anyone else.

Absolutely. And then there are the tens of millions of others playing victim, mooching because…damn it…why should they work when folks like Eddie are there, paying most of the taxes used to support them?

Failing, and how we each deal with it, helps define us.

And I would throw in here that age matters, I see more than a few 50 somethings who just give off that vibe of "I've done enough, not enough time left to accomplish much, and now I just want to gently coast into the nursing home".

Far easier to be 30 and start over after some failure than a near senior citizen I suppose.

Quote from: Surly1
It really doesn't take too many years before you realize that measuring your worth in goods or cash is a loser's game.

How many did it take you? I can tell you exactly…29 years and 5 months for me. Got out of the game and started over. How many years do you think it takes the average Joe? 40 years? 60? Some folks…never perhaps?

Quote from: Surly1
One of the smartest men I know just retired, and he realized that the highest value in his life was to retain as much free time as possible. So for decades he was able to schedule his work life into three working days per week.

IMO, that is real wealth.

Definitely a smart man. We all place a value on different things, and certainly time and family are common things for people to orient their lives around.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
Plus you let them see your goodies. There is a reason "thou shalt not covet" is written into the Bible...even OLD folks knew the "why" on this one.

If you are talking about financial results, let me tell you straight up, that I quit the upward climb up that financial ladder on purpose. I didn't fail.

I did the same thing, and quite agree with you.

Quote from: knarf
The people I was around, the totally unimaginative things they talked about, the dealing and backstabbing that went on, the games you were made to play for the management and customers, and the total lack of spiritual friendships, that is why I left the business I was really good at ( conventionally speaking ). I covet no material wealth also to debunk that silly passage out of the Bible!

The signs of coveting are everywhere as far as I am concerned, carved right into the current culture we live in here in America. I fight it every day with the kids still.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »

Reporter to Willie Sutton, the famous bank robber: "Mr. Sutton, why is it that you rob banks?"

Even if he never said it, it makes sense.  Or it did anyhow when banks actually had money in them.  Nowadays it's the other way round.  Banks Rob People.  ::)

RE
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:25:10 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »
He's soaking any family with a combined gross income of 150K. That's scraping the bottom of the barrel on rich in my book, bubba.

Two DINKS as opposed to a family of 8? Menlo Park California as opposed to Duluth?
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
  You can't Soak the Poor, because you can't get Blood from a Stone. 

Strictly speaking that isn't true. Ever heard of sales tax? How about Lotto tickets.

Ever been busted? You cannot believe how they bleed people who can't even afford rent. Money to the probation officer. Money for court ordered classes. Money for this. Money for that. And they pay it...or go the fuck to jail.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
  You can't Soak the Poor, because you can't get Blood from a Stone. 

Strictly speaking that isn't true. Ever heard of sales tax? How about Lotto tickets.

Ever been busted? You cannot believe how they bleed people who can't even afford rent. Money to the probation officer. Money for court ordered classes. Money for this. Money for that. And they pay it...or go the fuck to jail.

Granted, however this is insufficient to keep the BAM operating making the world safe for Happy Motoring.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2015, 05:11:21 AM »

Even if he never said it, it makes sense.  Or it did anyhow when banks actually had money in them.  Nowadays it's the other way round.  Banks Rob People.  ::)
I suspect in a generation or two "it's like money in the bank" will have the opposite meaning it does today.

And on the subject of famous misquotes, an interviewer asked Senator Dirksen if he had really said "A billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you're talking real money!", his response was to laugh and say something like, "No but I like it."  And this happened early enough in his career that he might have adopted it and said it later.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Joseph McCafferty

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

1) Yes, the tycoon has gobs of credit. How much? An equal and opposite number to what the customers need to pay.

No, not equal and opposite.  There's an INTEREST charge on the debt.  It compounds over time, and as the Tycoon takes on more debt to build railroads (or Microshit, or Facepalm etc) eventually the Industry goes BK and the Taxpayers are left with paying off the debt.

2) Eddies customers aren't paying his debts. They are paying their debt for Eddie's wealth (sorry Eddie, just using you as an example - I could use myself) Eddie's wealth is his knowledge, skills and resources in dentistry. If you have a bad tooth and want to keep it, you have to pay your debt to Eddie. If Eddie wants to get more gold to fill more teeth, he has to pay his debt to the gold dealer.

Let's drop Eddie out of this and substitute The Internist, whose office I just returned from after a 45 minute Initial Visit which he charged $500 for, not including the Blood Tests.  I am paying his debt for the Big Lakehouse he lives in, his Office Building, the McMansions his staff lives in and so forth. The bigger the biz you run, the more debt there is floating around, which is shifted to the customer to pay.  The Internist has a captive clientele, so can live a high debt lifestyle charging whatever the Insurance companies will pay out.  If you don't have Insurance, you don't go to the doctor, it's too expensive.  That is demand destruction in Medicine.

3) I'm not talking about spiritual wealth - because there's no such thing. I'm talking about wealth, poverty and debt.

Surly brought up Spiritual Wealth, and I think quite a few Diners would disagree with the idea there is no such thing as Spiritual Wealth.  However, this conversation is about Material Wealth, so I was reinforcing this fact.

4) I'm not saying he's middle class. I'm not saying he's any class. I'm saying he's a man like you and me.

I am reminded here of the conversation between F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway:

Fitzgerald: The rich are different than you and me.
    Hemingway: Yes, they have more money.

The Class Difference is plain and obvious.  All you have to do is look at what kind of Domicile the person lives in.

RE

I don't know why I even bother pursuing with what I have to say, because all I hear from people on the internet relates to the accumulation of wealth and the monetization of wealth. Woe betide anyone who says there is a debt related consequence of the pursuit of wealth.

Even though I'm the only person in the world saying it I've been saying it since 1990 and it has not even taken a scratch from all the economic changes from then til now. That is, "One man's wealth, is another man's debt. Poverty is to own no wealth and no debt." Interest, money, growth and energy has nothing to do with this. Poverty, wealth and debt are conditions people live under, not instruments to change those conditions.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
"One man's wealth, is another man's debt. Poverty is to own no wealth and no debt." Interest, money, growth and energy has nothing to do with this. Poverty, wealth and debt are conditions people live under, not instruments to change those conditions.

Actually Steve just pointed that out again in a chat we are having on EU.

However, Energy has a LOT to do with Wealth & Debt, because it's the debt that gives you access to energy, and then its copious energy to waste which is Wealth.  Poverty is the condition of having little to no energy to waste.

RE
Save As Many As You Can