AuthorTopic: Conservation Commutation Plan  (Read 17015 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Conservation Commutation Plan
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 06:30:57 PM »
I wonder here if buying the Yamaha S-Max Scooter will forever condemn me as a MATERIALIST

You KNOW the answer to that - your use of the word "toy" proves it.  The unsuitability of the toy for mounting a luggage rack means you couldn't even use it to buy a carton of beer on your way home.

The under seat trunk is large enough for a 12-pack.  Also, there is an aftermarket carrier that fits between your legs on the scooter floor.  Perfect size for a case of beer.  :icon_mrgreen:

Will I burn in EVERLASTING DAMNATION IN THE FIRE AND BRIMSTONE OF HELL?

No, but you will have to forego criticising anyone else for Materialism or risk being called a hypocrite.  Imagine the headline:
http://www.theautomaticearth.com/hypocrisy.htm
World famous collapse blogger buys petrol-powered, fuel-injected scooter to ride around Alaska on warm days  :icon_mrgreen:

My hypocrisy is already well documented and legendary.  ::)

And you haven't done a Full Life Cycle ERoEI on it yet.  I bet it contains lots of mag-alloy castings and other exotic materials, and the energy cost of factory-to-front-door delivery doesn't bear thinking about.  The supply lines for spare parts is fragile, and the chances of Yamaha going bankrupt is high:

http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/YAMHF.PK--Probability-Of-Bankruptcy
Based on latest financial disclosure Yamaha Motor Co Ltd has Probability Of Bankruptcy of 73% [within 2 years]. This is much higher than that of the sector, and significantly higher than that of Probability Of Bankruptcy industry, The Probability Of Bankruptcy for all stocks is over 1000% lower than the firm.

All of Japan is going bankrupt.  If I am going to buy it, I need to hurry and do it BEFORE they go tits up.

This has been a friendly message from Your Conscience.

I have UB on my other shoulder fighting for my Eternal Soul, so it's still a tossup.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »
Sigh.

I drove by the local Pawn Shop, and they have a few 250cc dirt bikes for sale, which pretty much can do everything the Yamaha Scooter does, slightly lower gas mileage but I can pick one up for less than $500.  Probably more reliable and definitely easier for a local bike mechanic to fix.

I just want that one last brand new industrial toy before it all goes south.  :-\

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »
Well that's good that your familiar with the risks involved.
I've laid a bike down twice in my sorted past as well.
No fun, to say the least. If I want the wind in my hair,
I'll buy a convertible Porsche, or VW Cabrio/rabbit ....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Alaska Railroad Conservation Commutation Plan
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:43 PM »
UB's thread on his Bucket List journey inspired me to check into using my EWz on the Alaska Railroad.

I don't know yet if they will allow me to bring it aboard, though I suspect they will.  Too much liability for not providing handicap accessibility.

At the moment however, whether they would allow it or not, it's not a feasible commutation mechanism between the Mat Valley and Anchorage.

First off, far as Passengers go, it only operates during the Tourist Season from around May to October or so.  Second, the cost per ride is in the $100s (one way), and that is for 1 direction, and they don't even have a listed fare for Wasilla to Anchorage, only for Talkeetna to Anchorage even though the trains do stop and pickup passengers in Wasilla.  I know they do, because I rode the train from Wasilla to Talkeetna once with a group of kids from my old job.  I wrote a blog about that trip, Riding the Rails on the Last Great Frontier.

However, if/when there is a fuel problem for the Carz, it would be very EZ to convert this to a commuter railroad with the EWz.  The fuel savings would be enormous here, as every day thousands of people drive their Carz in the Daily Commute to Anchorage from Wasilla and Palmer.

The Railroad itself could be powered by coal mined in Healy, which is RIGHT on the rail line.

It is mind boggling to think about all the fuel that could have been conserved had we simply upgraded the train system and developed small electric vehicles for the first and last mile.  You don't even need hi-tech Li-I batteries for this, old fashion Lead-Acid works fine, so it could have been done right at the beginning of the railroad era in the 1880s or so.  Bicycle folks like the Wright Brothers could have made the Scooters, charged up by Edison's electric plants.

WOULDA, SHOULDA, COULDA...

RE
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:16:04 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2015, 06:36:24 AM »
Sigh.

I drove by the local Pawn Shop, and they have a few 250cc dirt bikes for sale, which pretty much can do everything the Yamaha Scooter does, slightly lower gas mileage but I can pick one up for less than $500.  Probably more reliable and definitely easier for a local bike mechanic to fix.

I just want that one last brand new industrial toy before it all goes south.  :-\

RE

No rush. We are 7 years past the last claim of "all goes South" and here we all still are, hanging around talking about ways to buy more toys to drive around on warm summer days in Alaska because...they still have roads, and electricity, and cargo ships bringing said shiny toys even to the hinterlands.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
US Government debt has risen from 10 to 18 trillion Dollars in those 7 years.  Corporate debt likewise.  Industrial production has not picked up, even with the stimulus pedal pressed firmly to the floor.  All they have achieved is to kick the can down the road, giving them time to prepare for WW3 and the imposition of a fully-fledged fascist police state.  The next financial crash will see Plan B brought into action. Not long to wait now.

While Alaska has a lot going for it for those rugged individualists who can turn to hunting bears when the industrial food importing system fails, it is not a very benign ecosystem for humans to live in.  I prefer my bears on video. 
The State is a body of armed men

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
US Government debt has risen from 10 to 18 trillion Dollars in those 7 years.

Yep. I agree, bad political leadership is probably the thing with the highest probability of bringing the country to its knees.

Quote from: Palloy
Corporate debt likewise.  Industrial production has not picked up, even with the stimulus pedal pressed firmly to the floor.  All they have achieved is to kick the can down the road, giving them time to prepare for WW3 and the imposition of a fully-fledged fascist police state.  The next financial crash will see Plan B brought into action. Not long to wait now.

Been waiting a long time. Jimmy and stagflation, telling us that wearing sweaters and mining coal would save us from running out of oil. Or Ronnie and Star Wars, ready to push the button and start the war, while borrowing the country into poverty. 2008 and Great Depression II (otherwise known as the market buying opportunity of the century, to date).

And now lower oil prices are the trigger for something bad? At least with stagflation, the Cold War and crashing banks…I got it. But oil? The economy will lap this stuff up.

Quote from: Palloy
While Alaska has a lot going for it for those rugged individualists who can turn to hunting bears when the industrial food importing system fails, it is not a very benign ecosystem for humans to live in.  I prefer my bears on video.

Alaska does have quite a bit going for it, and there are even TV shows on how these rugged individualists fill in the time.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska Railroad Conservation Commutation Plan
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:15 PM »
Newz back from the Alaska Railroad is they are indeed "Scooter Friendly".  I just need to call them in advance with trip plans.

However, at the current prices they charge for a trip, long as I have my Mazda and Gas at anywhere NEAR the current price (even TRIPLE the price), it makes no economic sense to use this even for a trip up to Talkeetna.

I can R/T to Talkeetna for $20 in gas easy, less these days.  @$70 each way on the railroad, that is $140.  So if I want to scoot around Talkeetna obviously I am going to drive the Mazda with the Scooter in the back.

However, for the FUTURE, the current bi-level cars used for the Tourists can easily be reconfigured as "Scooter-Commuter" cars.  :icon_sunny:

Scooter Parking on the bottom level, passenger seating on the top level.  Equip the entrances with either ramps or lifts for stations without raised platforms.

RE
Save As Many As You Can