AuthorTopic: Uncle Bobs Bucket List Tour  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Uncle Bobs Bucket List Tour
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
Im going to be in Toronto for about 6 weeks from the 4th of march but can get away for about a week and still meet my obligations. My initial plan was to go through detroit and see some urban farming, take a bus tour of route 66 from chicago and dont go all the way but get off near azozeo, spend a day there then fly back to toronto. Later on another weekend take a trip to niagra falls and vermont and see agb. I also have a stopover on the way back in atlanta, i want to see the georgia guidestones.

Im not totally tied to route 66 even though its much simpler with no real planning involved. would it be possible with only about a weeks time, instead to travel by bus and train taking a more northerly route via lincoln nebraska, and salt lake city to las vegas, then back to toronto via a more southern route through oklahoma city, appalachia and new york, Or is this too much in the time allowed? What would be a guesstimate of amtrak/greyhound ticket costs? Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:42:07 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle Bobs Bucket List Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
would it be possible with only about a weeks time, instead to travel by bus and train taking a more northerly route via lincoln nebraska, and salt lake city to las vegas, then back to toronto via a more southern route through oklahoma city, appalachia and new york, Or is this too much in the time allowed?

Sounds like a bit much to bite off, but maybe RE would disagree. I do know that northerly route might still be subject to snow storms in March. It might also be completely clear, but I wouldn't count on that.

I haven't checked on train tickets for anything in years...but the last time I did I decided it was way cheaper to fly, even though I do like rail travel.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:59:41 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Im going to be in Toronto for about 6 weeks from the 4th of march but can get away for about a week and still meet my obligations. My initial plan was to go through detroit and see some urban farming, take a bus tour of route 66 from chicago and dont go all the way but get off near azozeo, spend a day there then fly back to toronto. Later on another weekend take a trip to niagra falls and vermont and see agb. I also have a stopover on the way back in atlanta, i want to see the georgia guidestones.

Im not totally tied to route 66 even though its much simpler with no real planning involved. would it be possible with only about a weeks time, instead to travel by bus and train taking a more northerly route via lincoln nebraska, and salt lake city to las vegas, then back to toronto via a more southern route through oklahoma city, appalachia and new york, Or is this too much in the time allowed? What would be a guesstimate of amtrak/greyhound ticket costs? Thanks.

The Platinum rail line goes through Kingman, Az. It's the main line between Chi-Town & Santa Monica Calif.
Beautiful time of the year for train travel. The Mohave is in full bloom around March/April. There's a train
station here Bob.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 06:52:53 PM »
Beautiful time of the year for train travel. The Mohave is in full bloom around March/April.
Let me second that, there is nothing quite like seeing the desert in full bloom.  It'd be even better in an El Nino year, but you take what you can get.

I wouldn't even bother with the Eastern US in March unless you want to try to go to Buffalo to catch a legendary Lake Effect snow storm.  The spring ones are kind of special, seeing a foot or two of snow being dumped overnight and having it all melt the next day.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
Greyhound used to have a Discovery pass allowing unlimited travel, but I'm not sure they still offer it.

See The Country Side This Summer and Save More Than $100 With Greyhound's Discovery Pass; Unlimited travel For 7, 15, 30, or 60 days starting at $199

DALLAS (April 20, 2009) – Whether planning for extended summer vacation or travel tomorrow, Greyhound customers now can save more than 30 percent on the company’s Discovery Pass. The pass starts at $199 and offers customers unlimited travel to more than 3,100 destinations across the United States and Canada.

“The Discovery Pass is a great way to see North America for as little as $8.32 a day,” said Gary Graley, vice president, revenue development. “We recognize customers are looking for ways to save money but still be able to travel for summer.”

Customers can purchase seven, 15, 30 or 60 day Discovery Passes for $199, $299, $399 and $499 respectively.

Limited exceptions and restrictions may apply. For more information, visit discoverypass.com.

Amtrak offers a 15 Day, 8 segment pass for $459.

However, you can rent a car for $150/week, spend less money than the Amtrak ticket in gas and have wheels to tool around exploring.

In terms of how large a range, this depends on how much you like to drive or ride along on a bus or train.  To have time wherever you are stopping off at, I would keep the daily mileage to around 300 max, if it is mostly interstate and you can do 60mph average for the trip.  So for 7 days you figure a max of about 2000 miles for your loop.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
I wouldn't even bother with the Eastern US in March unless you want to try to go to Buffalo to catch a legendary Lake Effect snow storm.  The spring ones are kind of special, seeing a foot or two of snow being dumped overnight and having it all melt the next day.

Let me second that.

It was my dubious pleasure to drive I 90 between Erie and Buffalo  in late winter.  During that drive I encountered said "lake effect" snow.  One of the damnedest things I've ever seen; it was as if somebody dropped a stage curtain-- you suddenly drive immediately into snow which appears to be blowing from side to side  and accumulating madly. It takes no time at all for the roadway to disappear, and if the snow is vigorous enough, your visibility as well.  drive-through that for 15 to 25 miles, and as suddenly as it came up, you've driven out of it, and the feeling is as if someone suddenly lifted a stage curtain. I had driven in a lot of snow in my lifetime, but that was a first.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »

Let me second that.

It was my dubious pleasure to drive I 90 between Erie and Buffalo  in late winter.  During that drive I encountered said "lake effect" snow.  One of the damnedest things I've ever seen; it was as if somebody dropped a stage curtain-- you suddenly drive immediately into snow which appears to be blowing from side to side  and accumulating madly. It takes no time at all for the roadway to disappear, and if the snow is vigorous enough, your visibility as well.  drive-through that for 15 to 25 miles, and as suddenly as it came up, you've driven out of it, and the feeling is as if someone suddenly lifted a stage curtain. I had driven in a lot of snow in my lifetime, but that was a first.

Well, UBs Bucket List Tour doesn't have to start when he arrives in March.  He is here for 6 weeks total, so he can wait until April to do the tour.  By then, little chance of running into heavy snow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:17 PM »

Let me second that.

Well, UBs Bucket List Tour doesn't have to start when he arrives in March.  He is here for 6 weeks total, so he can wait until April to do the tour.  By then, little chance of running into heavy snow.

RE

Given local weather patterns of the past few years, more chance than there used to be.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »

Let me second that.

RE

Given local weather patterns of the past few years, more chance than there used to be.

True.  From a touring perspective and meeting people, the Amtrak Pass seems like the best deal.

The issue would be Schedules, since many of those interstate passenger trains do not run daily.  The 8 segment limit is about as much as you could possibly fit in a week.

Then you have the issue of how you get around once you make your destination station.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EWz on the Trains!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:49:07 PM »
I was curious about the idea of using my EWz on an Amtrak Train for a Tour.  :icon_sunny:

Here's the Rules for "Mobility Devices" for Handicapped people from Amtrak:

Wheeled Mobility Device Services
Boarding and Detraining

Amtrak will provide assistance to passengers with a disability who use a wheeled mobility device in the following situations:

High Platforms: Amtrak will assist you across the gap between the platform and the train by using a bridge plate.
    Low-Level Platforms: Amtrak will provide access to the train through the use of station-based mobile lifts.
    Bi-Level Trains: Amtrak will provide a ramp or station-based mobile lift to provide access to the lower level of the train.

Remaining in Your Wheeled Mobility Device or Transferring to a Seat

There are two onboard seating options for passengers that travel with wheeled mobility devices. These options are dictated by the type of device identified during a booking for accessible services. Accessible space and seats are available on Coach, Business Class and First Class cars.

If you use a wheeled mobility device that is not identified as collapsible, you must remain seated in your device en route to your destination. Amtrak recommends that your brakes be applied when the train is in motion.
    If you travel with a collapsible wheelchair, you must transfer to an accessible seat and stow your wheelchair nearby. Onboard Amtrak personnel will assist you with stowing the device if requested.

Wheeled Mobility Device Specifications

Amtrak trains accommodate most wheeled mobility devices in use today.

Dimensions: The device should not exceed 30 inches (76 centimeters) wide and 48 inches (122 centimeters) long, and should have a minimum of 2 inches (5 centimeters) of ground clearance.
    Weight: The weight limit for an occupied wheeled mobility device is 600 lbs (273 kg).
    Manual and battery powered: Amtrak permits both manually operated and battery powered wheeled mobility devices that meet these specifications.

My EWz is well under the weight and width specifications, and just slightly longer wheel end to end at around 51".  I probably could get away with saying it is 48", as it is less than that from hub to hub as a wheelbase is measured, and if you turn the front wheel sideways it is less than 48" long.

Of course you have to contact Amtrak in advance before all your trips.

I am checking out the rules on the Alaska Railroad, to see if I can take my EWz on the train from Wasilla down to Anchorage or up to Fairbanks.  Nothing on the website about this, so I am sending an inquiry email.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, getting the 8 segment pass has the advantage of it being a fixed price instead of costing more the closer to departure you book it, but of course need taxi  or hire car from train station to hotel etc. Mainly great plains, great divide, and sw desert, appalachia and niagra falls i wanted to see, dont care about man made monuments much. Maybe  a good idea to go in april also. I always thought toronto was directly above the new england states, now i see its inland in the middle of the great lakes above detroit, so can make a seperate weekend after some rest to niagra falls and vermont. seems from what i hear everyone likes the southwest, new york and las vegas are not to everyones taste, nobody likes LA, and its airport is to be avoided.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:26:40 AM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Joseph McCafferty

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:35:09 AM »
Only one way to travel and that is to hitch-hike penniless - you really get to meet the land and the people. Do it and you'll see that money is a barrier between people, not a connection.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:05:28 AM »
Only one way to travel and that is to hitch-hike penniless - you really get to meet the land and the people. Do it and you'll see that money is a barrier between people, not a connection.

Some of my best memories ever were generated while hitchhiking.

:emthup: :emthup: :emthup:
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »

Well said...........

Here's Lenedra Carroll's (Jewels Mother) story. She did exactly this.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkQwbQoqgCc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mkQwbQoqgCc&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
I took a trip to the Capitol today, and Im sure you all know that while the architecture is impressive there are a lot of police cars parked around the place just in case. Since I had seen most of the main things I was looking at the river seeing if there was a shortcut by the shore to the bridge to cross the river. I realized there was not and was going back to the way I had come when a police car stopped in front of me, may be because I took a picture of a police car and had a big backpack on that could have contained anything. That's fair enough even if it spoils my day a little by making me nervous. So while one policewoman was checking my ID in the car the other policeman was asking me questions and then decided to be helpful since they were satisfied I really did just want to cross the river.

Now to go back around to the closest bridge and across would have been about 1 mile and I had over an hour left to kill. He first said I would not have time to go across there, I said it had only taken about 15 minutes to get there from the station but he said rush hour would start soon and it would take an hour to get back. He then said I should take a different bridge that I could not even see and come back on the other bridge doing a loop to save time or I would not make it. In fact the bridge he directed me to was about twice as far, and he was sending me on a round trip of about four miles that would really make me late. I had a whole day public transport ticket, but had to take a taxi to save time to get back early.

I get that babysitting a building must be boring, but giving a tourist a bumsteer to try making you either too early or too late to leave is a shitty way to amuse yourself. If theyre so paranoid about people walking around why not wall the whole place off, just let people on official business in and be done with it.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:33:51 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME