AuthorTopic: Science Skepticism? - Karl Denninger  (Read 845 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Science Skepticism? - Karl Denninger
« on: February 07, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
Science Skepticism?

An interesting point here, Scott makes...

Whatís is scienceís biggest fail of all time?

I nominate everything about diet and fitness.

Maybe science has the diet and fitness stuff mostly right by now. I hope so. But I thought the same thing twenty years ago and I was wrong.

I used to think fatty food made you fat. Now it seems the opposite is true. Eating lots of peanuts, avocados, and cheese, for example, probably decreases your appetite and keeps you thin.

I used to think vitamins had been thoroughly studied for their health trade-offs. They havenít. The reason you take one multivitamin pill a day is marketing, not science.

I used to think the U.S. food pyramid was good science. In the past it was not, and I assume it is not now.

There's a problem with what passes for science these days: It's corrupt.

The "diet and fitness" thing wasn't an accident, you see. Nor was it simply being wrong; science is wrong all the time; that, in fact, is the entire point of science -- to formulate a hypothesis, test it, and find out if it's correct.  It's frequently wrong.

What happens nowdays is that money substitutes for science.  If you don't publish you die in the academic world, and to publish you need grants -- many of them from government.

This in turn means that those who lobby government can "urge" them to support certain things -- and not support others.

Like, for instance, supporting the big agricultural producers in pushing the "food pyramid."

It's even worse when it comes to people with metabolic disorders such as diabetes.  It has been known for nearly 100 years that radically restricting carbohydrates is effective in dealing with Type II diabetes.  In fact, prior to the introduction of medication it was the only option to slow or stop the destruction of one's body if they contracted the disease.

But now it is actually recommended that diabetics "eat carbohydrates"!

Are they nuts?

No, they're corrupt.

GloBull Warming anyone?  There's another example.

Gardisil anyone, complete with Texas attempting to mandate it's administration?  Oh yes, side effects are uncommon, but when they happen they can include Guillian-Barre syndrome, which I will note is sometimes permanently crippling and can be fatal.

Behind all of these?  Billions of dollars.

It's not the failure of science, it's the corruption of science.

An intentional, outrageous and malicious series of acts, all undertaken for the purpose of profit at your expense, including in some cases at the expense of your life.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229818  :icon_study:

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Science Skepticism? - Karl Denninger
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
    I used to think the U.S. food pyramid was good science. In the past it was not, and I assume it is not now.
On the contrary, it is quite scientific.  I had an acquaintance who recognized it when it first came out -- it was extremely similar to the advice he got from the USDA on how to fatten his hogs most efficiently.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »
I know some foods such as red wine get included for antioxidants here and banned for the harmful effects of alcohol there,  but this is a bunch of aspersions without a single study cited or how it has been confouned. But he's right about 'globull warming' and money, doing anything about it is too expensive.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:36:41 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
It's not the failure of science, it's the corruption of science.

Thank goodness I never was required to do that kind of science. Scientists who allow themselves to be corrupted should be fired. It was the rule I worked under, it should be the rule we all work under.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama