AuthorTopic: Peak Movies: 1968 Filmography  (Read 7706 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Peak Movies: 1968 Filmography
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 10:09:15 PM »
You forgot to mention the footage of the astronauts being filmed in a movie
studio & the guide wires that were pulling them up & down.
Filmographic evidence goes both ways, and the slope is unfavorable to you.  The credits specifically state that footage from Capricorn One was used in the Apollo Zero video.  That was a fictitious movie about faking the moon landings.  The evidence that the films were made in a studio can itself be easily manufactured, much more so now than back in the late 1960s.

The bit about the Polaroids on the lunar lander leg definitely is intriguing, but I was disappointed the Kubrick video didn't show a (convincing) picture of that.  Of course, to truly be effective, it shouldn't be part of an edited video at all, but rather be an URL that points to the picture on a NASA website.  That is a smoking gun that would definitely sway me.
You also haven't
discussed the fact that man cannot penetrate the magnetosphere. The furthest
distance traveled away from earth by any of the shuttle missions was less than 250
miles away from this planet. The shuttle crews complained of blackouts at those
altitudes.  The ruskies "cooked" 13 cosmonauts back in the 60's trying to penetrate the
magnetosphere. Unless this movie has been altered & you've been watching
a spliced version these facts were mentioned. I'm trying to locate some footage
of a woman cosmonaut who discusses this very issue. Please give me your
opinions on the issue of piercing the magnetosphere without cooking humans
from radiation.
I cannot find anything about the deaths you mention.  Numerous workers killed on the ground from an explosion on a launchpad, one cosmonaut killed on reentry, and 3 cosmonauts killed by depressurization, but nothing about cosmonauts being killed by radiation.

"Radiation" is one of those scary buzzwords, though, that people use very imprecisely.  There are many different kinds of radiation: alpha, beta, cosmic, electromagnetic -- which includes infrared, light, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma rays.  Each of those pose different kinds of threats.

Can humans survive the Van Allen Belt radiation?  It's like a day on the beach: you have towels, and umbrellas, and sunscreen, and drinks, and it can be a pleasant experience.  But if you are unprotected, it can be an extremely painful and even deadly experience.

So, yes, a trip through the Van Allen Belts would be deadly to a human if all he had was a spacesuit to protect him.  But these trips are made in spacecraft made of metal, and the Van Allen radiation consists of charged particles.  Metal is really good at conducting charges, so people would have some protection inside a metal ship.

But, this is another area where it was a case of "good enough".  The Van Allen Belts only extend 10% of the distance to the moon, so I figure they only spent about 10% of their time in them.  Like a day on the beach, the key to staying healthy is limiting exposure, both in time and dosage.

This also is a major difference with the shuttle.  While the shuttle crew wasn't as close to the Van Allen Belts, they generally spent a lot more time circling at a particular orbital level -- because it only takes energy when you change levels.  So they were probably exposed much longer than the Apollo crew.

And, let's face it, the Apollo crews were probably a hardier bunch than the shuttle crews.  A fair number were test pilots and were probably trained to ignore pain.  The shuttle crew, on the other hand, was probably instructed to note the changes in their bodies -- discovering the effects of space travel on people was one broad program goal for the shuttle program.
There were other facts raised as well. The hokey air conditioning
systems the Apollo astronauts wore when outside the L.E.M. are a dead giveaway
as well. Those astronauts had to endure extreme heat & cold.

Here's the clincher J.D.
Research the space suits worn by Gemini astronauts when outside there vehicles
& compare them to the suits worn in Apollo. It's a dead give away. Both space
suits are from the same era, the 60's. I didn't want to use the comparison between
the suits worn by ISS or shuttle astronauts, as there from different era's.
Get back with me when you've had a chance to look at this evidence.
I don't get the bit about the space suits at all.  Of course Gemini and Apollo space suits would be from the same era.

But this does bring up another point: all the moon landings were made around dawn, local lunar time.  That is when the temperature is the most moderate.  The rocks are still cold from the 14-day night, but the warmth of the sun is available.  This is definitely an area where they could not push the technology any further.  Even staying 7 days puts a tremendous strain on the cooling system.  Month-long stays would likely require building shelters with thick walls of lunar soil to moderate the temperatures.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
J.D. by chance did you watch any of the Apollo 11 press conference  I posted.
I watched about 30 minutes of it before I turned in for the night.
Those 3 guys are "jet-jocks" ....
Jet jocks have an ego the size of a C5A Galaxy, and rightly so.
Jet jocks make horrible con men.
Those 3 guys looked so worried up there on stage, as if they were about
to go into the principle's office to explain themselves for some kind of
misbehavior they had just done. It was as obvious as Professor Sasquatch's
(Moriarty) arrogance that they were reading a script. If you or I just got back
from the moon like those 3 supposedly did we wouldn't miss 1 iota of information.
They looked as if some no-necked general with bad breath just got done screaming
at them about making the lie stick to not only the American people but to the ruskies
who you know damn good & well were tuning into Walter Chronkite & his cronies
for the latest news.

Now, I believe I've remembered the name of the female cosmonaut who talked about
the being cooked part of the Van Allen radiation belt. Her name was Marina something
or other. I'll root around on the web & if you would do the same I'd appreciate it.
Catch up with you later. By the way the stakes at the poker table of debate have been
raised. I've thrown the deed to the mine on the chip pile. I'm as serious as a heart attack
about this whole Apollo program being faked. Your gonna need the royal to pull this one
off bubba. Good luck.   :coffee:
The Ancients Called This World "A Maya"
An illusion created by the mind.....

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »
misbehavior they had just done. It was as obvious as Professor Sasquatch's
(Moriarty) arrogance that they were reading a script. If you or I just got back
from the moon like those 3 supposedly did we wouldn't miss 1 iota of information.
They looked as if some no-necked general with bad breath just got done screaming
at them about making the lie stick to not only the American people but to the ruskies
who you know damn good & well were tuning into Walter Chronkite & his cronies
for the latest news.

Now, I believe I've remembered the name of the female cosmonaut who talked about
the being cooked part of the Van Allen radiation belt. Her name was Marina something
or other. I'll root around on the web & if you would do the same I'd appreciate it.
Catch up with you later. By the way the stakes at the poker table of debate have been
raised. I've thrown the deed to the mine on the chip pile. I'm as serious as a heart attack
about this whole Apollo program being faked. Your gonna need the royal to pull this one
off bubba. Good luck.   :coffee:

It's Marina Popovich !
Most of her stuff though is about the UFO mumbo-jumbo
Are you listening Ashvin. Maybe she can be your new huckleberry.
J.D. I'll have to wade through all of that ufo stuff & get back with you
on the radiation belt info.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
For me to believe the story to begin with, I'd like to see them build a Lunar Lander with the same schematics and components from the era and a more powerful engine to handle the earth gravity and fly it up to 10,000 feet and back down to a soft landing.  At least show me that something with this era technology can go up and down safely with a pilot who never flew it before, just trained in a simulator, forget linking up with an orbiting capsule.  Hell, just build me a SCALE MODEL that can do this.  You can put it in a vacuum chamber and use a magnetic field to work opposite to the gravitational field and simulate Lunar Gravity.

There is absolutely NO evidence they had technology capable of this in 1969.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »
For me to believe the story to begin with, I'd like to see them build a Lunar Lander with the same schematics and components from the era and a more powerful engine to handle the earth gravity and fly it up to 10,000 feet and back down to a soft landing.  At least show me that something with this era technology can go up and down safely with a pilot who never flew it before, just trained in a simulator, forget linking up with an orbiting capsule.  Hell, just build me a SCALE MODEL that can do this.  You can put it in a vacuum chamber and use a magnetic field to work opposite to the gravitational field and simulate Lunar Gravity.

RE

Well said RE ..............
Thank you.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 09:51:40 PM »

RE

Well said RE ..............
Thank you.

No problem AZ.  I actually wrote an article about this a while back, but I can't find it.  It might have been on TBP.

You could easily and relatively cheaply build a 1/16th Scale Model of this Rube Goldberg contraption, and I'll let you substitute today's Microchips for all the clunky circuit boards of  60's era computer to shave weight.  It won't carry passengers so you save more weight, and it doesn't need to be pressurized so you can use lighter weight materials, so if you cut the weight to 1/4 (to scale), then the gravity pull is equivalent and you don't need the magnetic field.  Use drone remote control for it, but with exactly the same configuration as the controls that Neil and Buzz had to work with in a full size mock-up.

I challenge the entire current class of MIT engineers to build to this design and fly it up and down just 10,000 feet, not even going for orbital velocity.  If they can make this work, then I'd be a little more inclined to buy the story.

It's 50 years later here, and the best you get is something like a Harrier

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_p_90T-aYO0?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_p_90T-aYO0?feature=player_detailpage</a>

Does it look like you could get even CLOSE to orbital speed, even with low gravity and no atmosphere?

The hoax is of such enormous magnitude that people can't believe it's a hoax.  Looking critically at the available technology of the day though, it's even harder for me to believe it was not a hoax.

RE
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:54:11 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:22 PM »
It's Marina Popovich !
Thanks for the name, although all I can find with her is about UFOs.

Okay, here is my final word on the Van Allen belts:

http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/Algebra1/3Page7.pdf

Apollo astronauts, and astronauts in the
upcoming visits to the Moon, will have to travel through
some of these belt regions because the orbit of the Moon lies along the fastest line-of-travel from Earth.
On the scale of the above figure, the distance to the Moon is 60 Re.
1. The speed of the spacecraft will be about 25,000 km/hour. If the spacecraft travels along the
indicated path, how long, in minutes, will it spend in the Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red regions?
Note: transit estimates may vary depending on how accurately students measure figure.
Blue: 1.8 Re x (6378 km/Re)
x (1 hour/25,000 km) x (60 minutes/1 hour) = 27.6 minutes
Yellow: (1.4 x 6378) /25,000 x 60 = 6.1 minutes
Orange: (1.0 x 6378) / 25,000 x 60 = 15.3 minutes
Green: (0.25 x 6378)/25,000 x 60 = 3.8 minutes
Red: 0 minutes
Total transit time........................... 52.8 minutes
2. Given the indicated radiation dosages in Rads/sec for each zone, what will be the dosages that the astronauts receive in each zone?
Blue: = 27.6 minutes x ( 60 sec/ 1 minute) x (0.0001 Rads/sec) = 0.17 Rads
Yellow = 6.1 minutes x 60 sec/minute x 0.005 rads/sec = 1.83 Rads
Orange = 15.3 minutes x (60 sec/minute) x 0.01 rads/sec = 9.18 Rads
Green = 3.8 minutes x (60 sec/minute) x 0.001 rads/sec = 0.23 Rads
3. What will be the total radiation dosage in Rads for the transit through the belts?
0.17 + 1.83 + 9.18 + 0.23 = 11.4 Rads
4. Some people believe that the Apollo moon landings were a hoax because astronauts would havebeen instantly killed in the radiation belts. According to the US Occupation Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) a lethal radiation dosage is 300 Rads in one hour. What is your answer to the 'moon landing hoax' believers?
Note: According to radiation dosimeters carried by Apollo astronauts, their total dosage for the entire trip to the moon and return was not more than 2 Rads over 6 days.
The total dosage for the trip is only 11.4 Rads in 52.8 minutes. Because 52.8 minutes is equal to 0.88 hours, his is equal to a dosage of 11.4 Rads / 0.88 hours = 13 Rads in one hour, which is well below the 300 Rads in one hour that is considered to be lethal.
Also, this radiation exposure would be for an astronaut outside the spacecraft during the transit through the belts. The radiation shielding inside the spacecraft cuts down the 13 Rads/hour exposure so that it is completely harmless
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 10:07:25 PM »
Here's how to do it REALLY cheap in model form.

You can't build a small jet engine at home, but you don't need one.  Use instead a compressed air tank, and run an air hose to the Lunar Lander model.  Then all you need to do is set up your engine thruster ports so you can modulate how much air is coming out and in what direction.  Your model can be lightweight so the air pressure easily lifts it up off the ground.  The hardest part is setting it up so the air hose doesn't act as a stabilizer, it would need to come in from the top and be hooked up with a universal joint, and pulled upward at the same speed the model is lifting off with using a separate system.  That would be tricky to build.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »
misbehavior they had just done.
I watched about 10 minutes of it.  It's definitely intriguing -- the sound track could possibly be doctored, but it definitely would be very hard to make up their behavior.  However, there is an alternate explanation:

STAGE FRIGHT

For many people, the fear of public speaking even outranks the fear of death.  I think it's an over-generalization that "jet-jocks" have monstrous ego, but even if most do, all that matters is these three particular men.  Now, if you can pair up this video with an earlier video that shows any of them speaking brazenly at a prior press conference, that would be much stronger evidence that they were lying.
If you or I just got back  from the moon like those 3 supposedly did we wouldn't miss 1 iota of information.
Have you ever been on an extended trip where you aren't just relaxing but have lots to do every day?  I have and by the end my brain was pretty well fried.  I find nothing remarkable in their lack of cognitive functioning.
Catch up with you later. By the way the stakes at the poker table of debate have been raised. I've thrown the deed to the mine on the chip pile. I'm as serious as a heart attack about this whole Apollo program being faked. Your gonna need the royal to pull this one off bubba. Good luck.   :coffee:
Actually, I don't expect to convince you, and I know in the long run I'm probably on the losing side of the debate.  Seven generations from now, I expect things to have run down to the point that no one even believes people flew through the air, and there will be proofs that you couldn't carry enough fuel to cross an ocean.

The big problem is, your kind of disbelief is self-reinforcing and self-fulfilling.  It is a short step from believing that we never went to the Moon to feeling that it is not worthwhile going to the Moon.  That rapidly turns into that it is impossible to go to the Moon.  If the dream of space travel isn't kept alive, then the whole subject is moot.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
Actually, I don't expect to convince you, and I know in the long run I'm probably on the losing side of the debate.  Seven generations from now, I expect things to have run down to the point that no one even believes people flew through the air, and there will be proofs that you couldn't carry enough fuel to cross an ocean.

The big problem is, your kind of disbelief is self-reinforcing and self-fulfilling.  It is a short step from believing that we never went to the Moon to feeling that it is not worthwhile going to the Moon.  That rapidly turns into that it is impossible to go to the Moon.  If the dream of space travel isn't kept alive, then the whole subject is moot.

The significance of the debate is not so much in whether Space Travel is possible, but rather in the idea that it is possible we were LIED to on such an enormous scale.

An entire generation of people (including me for most of my life) grew up believing we sent Men to the Moon and brought them safely back to Earth.  If it is not true, it pulls the rug out from under just about everything we currently believe is truth.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
I watched about 10 minutes of it.  It's definitely intriguing -- the sound track could possibly be doctored, but it definitely would be very hard to make up their behavior.  However, there is an alternate explanation:

STAGE FRIGHT

For many people, the fear of public speaking even outranks the fear of death.  I think it's an over-generalization that "jet-jocks" have monstrous ego, but even if most do, all that matters is these three particular men.  Now, if you can pair up this video with an earlier video that shows any of them speaking brazenly at a prior press conference, that would be much stronger evidence that they were lying.

One of them having Stage Fright is believable. ALL THREE having Stage Fright at the same time, not so believable.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »

You could easily and relatively cheaply build a 1/16th Scale Model of this Rube Goldberg contraption, and I'll let you substitute today's Microchips for all the clunky circuit boards of  60's era computer to shave weight.  It won't carry passengers so you save more weight, and it doesn't need to be pressurized so you can use lighter weight materials, so if you cut the weight to 1/4 (to scale), then the gravity pull is equivalent and you don't need the magnetic field.  Use drone remote control for it, but with exactly the same configuration as the controls that Neil and Buzz had to work with in a full size mock-up.

I challenge the entire current class of MIT engineers to build to this design and fly it up and down just 10,000 feet, not even going for orbital velocity.  If they can make this work, then I'd be a little more inclined to buy the story.

It's 50 years later here, and the best you get is something like a Harrier
Does it look like you could get even CLOSE to orbital speed, even with low gravity and no atmosphere?
The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is 1.6 m/s2; on Earth it is 9.8 m/s2 or roughly 6 times greater.  Since acceleration due to gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the radius, this means you would need to be the square root of 6 times the radius of the Earth away, or about 2.5*4000 miles = 10,000 miles from the center of the Earth or 6000 miles above the surface.  That is where you would need to perform your experiment to get similar results to the Moon.  And at that altitude you wouldn't have to worry about the atmosphere.

The most important part is that orbital and escape velocities for the Moon are also proportional to the acceleration due to gravity.

Quote from: http://www.idialstars.com/evmc.htm
Physicists tell us that the escape velocity on our planet Earth is some seven miles per second. To find out the escape velocity on the Moon, we first must know the Moon's mass in relation to Earth's (1/81 = 0.012) and the Moon's radius in comparison with Earth's (1080 miles/3960 miles = 0.273). Once we know these two things, we take Moon's mass and divide it by its radius (0.012 divided by 0.273 = 0.044) to come up with a figure of 0.044. Then we take the square root of that number, which is 0.21. Multiplying 0.21 by 7 miles per second gives the answer we are seeking. The escape velocity at the Moon is about 1.47 miles per second.
Now, minimum orbital velocity for the Earth is about 5 miles per second, so multiplying that by the 0.21 factor gives a minimum orbital velocity for the Moon of about 1 mile per second.  So that is all the faster the lunar lander needed to achieve.

And, don't forget the atmosphere if you are trying to do this on the Earth's surface.  The energy required to move against the air is proportional to the square of the velocity.  You probably have a good idea what it feels like when you are driving 1 mile per minute (60 mph), your model would be going 60 times faster than that, which would require 3600 times more energy -- on the Earth's surface.  That is a factor that would not be in place for the Moon.

So, it really is quite hard to make a mock-up of the lunar module on the Earth's surface because conditions are so very different.

The hoax is of such enormous magnitude that people can't believe it's a hoax.  Looking critically at the available technology of the day though, it's even harder for me to believe it was not a hoax.
That part I highlighted is the crux of the matter for me.  When has the government ever successfully pulled off a hoax without leaving major tell-tale signs?  Roswell?  The Kennedy assassination?  September 11th?  Iraqi WMD?  And these were of limited duration -- the events themselves for the first 3 examples, the time until the truth was exposed and accepted for the last -- not an extended effort lasting over a decade involving thousands of complicit people.  To my knowledge, not one person has come forward in the past 50 years and said they personally were involved in making Apollo a hoax.  That is unprecedented for something of that magnitude.

The significance of the debate is not so much in whether Space Travel is possible, but rather in the idea that it is possible we were LIED to on such an enormous scale.

An entire generation of people (including me for most of my life) grew up believing we sent Men to the Moon and brought them safely back to Earth.  If it is not true, it pulls the rug out from under just about everything we currently believe is truth.
And that is the other big thing... who benefits from making people believe Apollo was a hoax?  Granted, there is a bit of notoriety and profits from making these claims publicly.  However, actually proving Apollo was a hoax would make the Government seem much more powerful.  And shaking people's foundations of what they believe is an important psy-op technique.  I would not be the least bit surprised if the Moon-landing-hoax movement is actually a disinformation campaign being perpetrated by some clandestine three-letter agency.

For those reasons, the Apollo missions being a hoax is much less plausible to me than ancient civilizations or extraterrestrial visitation; it would have required an extreme level of government competence that we have never seen before or since.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »
The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is 1.6 m/s2; on Earth it is 9.8 m/s2 or roughly 6 times greater.  Since acceleration due to gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the radius, this means you would need to be the square root of 6 times the radius of the Earth away, or about 2.5*4000 miles = 10,000 miles from the center of the Earth or 6000 miles above the surface.  That is where you would need to perform your experiment to get similar results to the Moon.  And at that altitude you wouldn't have to worry about the atmosphere.

As you point out here, the Gravitational Conditions and Vaccuum of space of the Moon can be mimicked in Earth Orbit.

So, WHY was the Lunar Lander NEVER tested in Earth orbit?  It would be a LOT safer to test it there and give Buzz and Neil some time at the controls to keep the craft stable and smoothly accelerating further away from the Earth, then they turn it around and fly it back to the Capsule to practice the Docking Maneuver.  They could have tested it on any of the prior flights of Apollo 8-10 this way.

I do agree the argument that a hoax of this magnitude being kept secret for so long by our generally incompetent Goobermint is tough also to believe.

However, sending 2 guys down to the Moon in a completely untested vehicle when it WAS possible to perform such tests in Earth Orbit makes no sense...UNLESS you don't think the thing will really WORK and you don't want to demonstrate that failure.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2015, 04:18:19 AM »
The only people that knew the program was rigged was a handful
of top tier individuals. No problemo ......

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:07 AM »
The only people that knew the program was rigged was a handful
of top tier individuals. No problemo ......

No, it would be many more than a "handful".

All the Astronauts who supposedly landed on the moon to start with.

All the Supervisors (CIA, Military Generals etc) of those Astronauts.

All the guys faking the Telemetry next.

All the guys who supposedly designed and built the Lunar Lander next.

All the people in Stanley Kubrick's crew on the set in London next.

All the people with Werner Von Braun when he was collecting Space Rocks in Antarctica next.

100s of people need to have stayed silent here for 50 years.  That is tough to believe also.

RE
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:02:01 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN