AuthorTopic: More Rocket Mass Heater DVDs....  (Read 1503 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
More Rocket Mass Heater DVDs....
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
Paul Wheaton is doing another kickstarter for another 4 DVD set on Rocket Mass Heaters.  The information in them supplements the first set.  Here is Paul to tell you more:

http://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/1659384/video-497473-h264_high.mp4

At $90 for 8 DVDs, I'm asking myself how could I afford to pass this up?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/rocket-mass-heaters-4-dvd-set
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: More Rocket Mass Heater DVDs....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »
One more thing I didn't get around to yet. The clay and forms for the refractory core are still under the shed. It hasn't been my most productive year, prep-wise. Thanks for posting the link.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
One more thing I didn't get around to yet. The clay and forms for the refractory core are still under the shed. It hasn't been my most productive year, prep-wise. Thanks for posting the link.
You're welcome, and I quite understand.  My only foray into actual construction is the 20-brick style sitting out by my patio, and I haven't successfully started a fire in it.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
You're welcome, and I quite understand.  My only foray into actual construction is the 20-brick style sitting out by my patio, and I haven't successfully started a fire in it.

Did anybody see the first four DVD's? Are they worth it? Do I really need to watch 8 DVD's to build a rocket mass heater? I haven't watched an hours worth of any videos, and I get the concept.

WHD

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 04:06:27 AM »
Did anybody see the first four DVD's? Are they worth it? Do I really need to watch 8 DVD's to build a rocket mass heater? I haven't watched an hours worth of any videos, and I get the concept.
No I haven't, because they were something like $30 each; at that price, it was definitely not worth it unless you were definitely going to build one.

You definitely don't need to watch 8 DVDs to build a simple rocket mass heater.  You do need a blueprint at least, though, because certain dimensions of the firebox are absolutely critical.  It will be a horrible failure if you get those wrong.  Hence, the DVD on "shippable cores": if you had one of those (they are not available commercially at this point), then the critical part would be done for you, and pretty much anyone with any construction skills could build a rocket mass heater.

At this price, IF you are seriously considering building a rocket mass heater, I think they will save you more in time, aggravation, and materials than their cost.  They are still kind of expensive though if you aren't going to build one.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
Just a heads up, this project has been funded, and he's added extra "candy".  For me, I decided it was worth getting the full 8 DVD set.  But if you have any inkling of playing with this sort of thing, you should seriously consider hopping on and at least pledging at the $1, $2, $3, or $5 level, you get a lot of good stuff for a minimal price.

The only caveat is we will have to be kind of vigilant to make sure we get the low-level rewards when they become available, they will only be online for a short while.