PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Boomer Doomers

AuthorTopic: Boomer Doomers  (Read 17654 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Boomer Doomers
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2015, 06:04:23 AM »
Food prices won't just Inflate, food will become unavailable to buy in any currency at any price.  It won't just be Almonds that are unavailable at the grocery store.

There's enough time to shift back to local food production in areas where it's still possible. People are going to leave California in droves. California food is going away. It will have an impact. But it's not a fatal error. Plenty of time to have a "reverse dustbowl", with people gravitating to areas that have, in the past, been marginal agricultural areas, but can support small scale sustainable farming.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
Food prices won't just Inflate, food will become unavailable to buy in any currency at any price.  It won't just be Almonds that are unavailable at the grocery store.

There's enough time to shift back to local food production in areas where it's still possible. People are going to leave California in droves. California food is going away. It will have an impact. But it's not a fatal error. Plenty of time to have a "reverse dustbowl", with people gravitating to areas that have, in the past, been marginal agricultural areas, but can support small scale sustainable farming.

mmm hmmm.

$1000 on this, 2:1 odds, Payoff Date 4/6/2035

LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2015, 06:48:34 AM »
If I'm alive in 2035 I'll be 80. If I'm still walking around and breathing air at that point, that'll be  enough of a win for me without taking your money. If you're alive and I'm alive, I'll say I told you so.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »
If I'm alive in 2035 I'll be 80. If I'm still walking around and breathing air at that point, that'll be  enough of a win for me without taking your money. If you're alive and I'm alive, I'll say I told you so.

No worries.  Even if we are both still alive then, $1000 won't be worth jack shit anyhow.  LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »
Why the focus on the US?  It's the last place I would want to be when TSHTF.  Too many fascist police, too many prisons, too many guns, too many crazy religious wingnuts who are CERTAIN they are right, too much in-grained greed and selfishness.  What's to like?
There is the "that which does not kill me only serves to make me stronger" aspect.  Especially when either result is acceptable.  In the case of global thermonuclear war, quite frankly, I think I would prefer to die in the first hour, being caught in a blast, rather than wasting away from radiation sickness.  In other scenarios, while I agree surviving the initial period after TSHTF will be much worse in the US than in other places, I think that steeper initial dieoff will actually improve the chances for the remaining survivors in terms of not depleting resources quite so thoroughly.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »

No worries.  Even if we are both still alive then, $1000 won't be worth jack shit anyhow.  LOL.

RE

True. Buy Gold; it won't be worth jack shit.

1 oz Gold Ox
1 oz Gold Ox

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »

True. Buy Gold; it won't be worth jack shit.

GO, we finally agree!  Gold won't be worth jack shit!

Quote from: Ezekiel 7:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumbling block of their iniquity.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2015, 09:23:32 PM »
Out of curiousity though, have you spent time in the Rainforest trying some H-G living?  That would be interesting material for the Diner blog.

This is where I live (attached), and about the extent of the block - 8.3 acres.  I've been here 10 years, and before that 10 years in a trailer on a bigger block just up the road.   It's nowhere near enough to H-G on, but I expect most of my neighbours to leave when the crash happens.  Min. 27C, Max. 32C, humidity 80 - 100%.  Average annual rainfall 3,600 mm.  More than half the days are rainy - lovely warm rain, very refreshing.

To H-G successfully you have to know what can be eaten and what can't, it needs reference books - rainforest fruits can be seriously poisonous.  To be able to search for fruits, you have to be able to move throughout the jungle, which means constant trimming with loppers.  Today I could have had a small meal of four kinds of fruits after a half-hour walk.  Some days I do binge on bananas and passionfruit, others I'd have to boil the shit out of some poisonous starchy roots, using the water to stun fish in the creek.  If I started eating insects, spiders, pythons and land crabs, a balanced diet would be easier.

Horticulture is impossible due to leached soils and voracious herbivores, from tiny mites and bugs, through hordes of small furry things,  to feral pigs.  The more you fertilise, the more it attracts predators to the lush foliage - they are very tuned in to that sort of thing.  I raise free-range bantams, but I don't know how long they would stay without the bought-in grains.

I can honestly say the occasional visitors are most impressed with what's on offer, but none of them have duplicated the lifestyle.  Let's have another cold beer out the fridge, while it lasts.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
Out of curiousity though, have you spent time in the Rainforest trying some H-G living?  That would be interesting material for the Diner blog.

This is where I live (attached), and about the extent of the block - 8.3 acres.  I've been here 10 years, and before that 10 years in a trailer on a bigger block just up the road.   It's nowhere near enough to H-G on, but I expect most of my neighbours to leave when the crash happens.  Min. 27C, Max. 32C, humidity 80 - 100%.  Average annual rainfall 3,600 mm.  More than half the days are rainy - lovely warm rain, very refreshing.

To H-G successfully you have to know what can be eaten and what can't, it needs reference books - rainforest fruits can be seriously poisonous.  To be able to search for fruits, you have to be able to move throughout the jungle, which means constant trimming with loppers.  Today I could have had a small meal of four kinds of fruits after a half-hour walk.  Some days I do binge on bananas and passionfruit, others I'd have to boil the shit out of some poisonous starchy roots, using the water to stun fish in the creek.  If I started eating insects, spiders, pythons and land crabs, a balanced diet would be easier.

Horticulture is impossible due to leached soils and voracious herbivores, from tiny mites and bugs, through hordes of small furry things,  to feral pigs.  The more you fertilise, the more it attracts predators to the lush foliage - they are very tuned in to that sort of thing.  I raise free-range bantams, but I don't know how long they would stay without the bought-in grains.

I can honestly say the occasional visitors are most impressed with what's on offer, but none of them have duplicated the lifestyle.  Let's have another cold beer out the fridge, while it lasts.

Definitely looks pretty remote, and definitely could be an interesting Blog if you want to fill out on more of the environment, food possibilities, population questions, etc.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »
This GoogleEarth snapshot puts it more in context - I do have neighbours, more's the pity.  My block does run into the mangroves, but it is more often innundated by rain water than it is by the salt water. The purple-ish areas are lakes of black water and reeds, and the stream on my western boundary is tidal, just. 

I've never seen a crocodile there, but you would be stupid if you didn't take the possibility into account.  BTW the episode of Mythbusters that tested the theory that if you run zig-zag, you can escape a crocodile, was done with captive crocs and open ground - with hungry wild crocs and swamp you wouldn't stand a chance.  Still, if you were REALLY hungry, there's millions of geese and waders in there, and lots of mud and crabs.

The forest with the heavy shadows is full-on rainforest on red granitic soils that drain well, though the watertable is not far below the surface.  The lighter forest is growing in an alluvial clay layer, which is gluggy and forms puddles/lakes in the wet season.

My previous block had been half cleared for bananas, and then abandoned when the soil ran out of fertility.  Someone had planted lychees, rambutans, longans, tangerines instead, but they need to be kept pruned, fertilised, sprayed for scale and the grasses kept down, so that's a lot of hard work.  And then the fruit bats take most of the fruit, and the rest get stung by moths.  You might just as well let nature do its thing, and spend your time picking up the left-overs.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »
This GoogleEarth snapshot puts it more in context - I do have neighbours, more's the pity.  My block does run into the mangroves, but it is more often innundated by rain water than it is by the salt water. The purple-ish areas are lakes of black water and reeds, and the stream on my western boundary is tidal, just. 

I've never seen a crocodile there, but you would be stupid if you didn't take the possibility into account.  BTW the episode of Mythbusters that tested the theory that if you run zig-zag, you can escape a crocodile, was done with captive crocs and open ground - with hungry wild crocs and swamp you wouldn't stand a chance.  Still, if you were REALLY hungry, there's millions of geese and waders in there, and lots of mud and crabs.

The forest with the heavy shadows is full-on rainforest on red granitic soils that drain well, though the watertable is not far below the surface.  The lighter forest is growing in an alluvial clay layer, which is gluggy and forms puddles/lakes in the wet season.

My previous block had been half cleared for bananas, and then abandoned when the soil ran out of fertility.  Someone had planted lychees, rambutans, longans, tangerines instead, but they need to be kept pruned, fertilised, sprayed for scale and the grasses kept down, so that's a lot of hard work.  And then the fruit bats take most of the fruit, and the rest get stung by moths.  You might just as well let nature do its thing, and spend your time picking up the left-overs.

Definitely, write a Blog to drop on the Diner Blog pages.  This is interesting stuff!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »

Well, hell! You're dug in for the duration. Sounds like a fine place to live. Congratulations on divorcing yourself from the matrix.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
forgive me for my ignorance, but what does H-G stand for? Where are you located ( in general ) Palloy? It totally looks like jungle. :)
Mark Twain 'There are many humorous things in the world; among them, the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages.'

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
forgive me for my ignorance, but what does H-G stand for?

Hunter-Gatherer

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
We watched an animal documentary last night. The scientist lives in Brazil's jungle. He loves monkeys and over the years has observed what they eat. He is now a vegetarian feeding on mostly what the monkeys eat. Have any monkeys there Palloy?  :)
Mark Twain 'There are many humorous things in the world; among them, the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages.'