AuthorTopic: Jumping Jack Flash: It's A Gas Gas Gas!  (Read 15092 times)

Offline Jonny_Emm

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping Jack Flash: It's A Gas Gas Gas!
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 04:09:39 AM »
Fish kills?

Bird kills?

Other die-offs?

Yes, thanks, soooo...

Type: Biosphere Mortality
SubType: Fish, Bird, Moose, etc
Parked: NA
Number: 1 (one die-off)
Fatalities: 5000 (estimated dead critter count, though sometimes it's in tons for fish, so estimate, say, 1000 per ton)
Casualties: 0
Odor: Unknown
Likely Gas: Unknown
NewsCount: 2
NewsLink: httpblahblah
Date: Date
Time: Unknown or Time

I guess I better find a decent smallish preferably free database program that imports/exports comma-delimited fields. Heh, thought my days of databasing were over. I used to write software back in the 90s, including a lot of database stuff. Alas, I didn't keep any of my tools or anything, because I thought those days were over. Ah well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:16:11 AM by Jonny_Emm »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 06:07:50 AM »

I guess I better find a decent smallish preferably free database program that imports/exports comma-delimited fields. Heh, thought my days of databasing were over. I used to write software back in the 90s, including a lot of database stuff. Alas, I didn't keep any of my tools or anything, because I thought those days were over. Ah well.

Apache Open Office has an Access similar Relational Database application.  Free Open Source Download.

Alternatively, you can set up a flat table DB on Google Docs which would be available to everyone online, and other people could add items to it.  You can even make a Form for people to use to drop in the records.

In this case, you also want fields for Date Posted as well as Date of Event, and a Field for who posted it with an (optional) link to drop in an email address.

You should make as many Drop Down Menus of choices possible as you can, so the records have uniformity without keyboarding errors, and also to make it faster to enter a record.  Date of entry can be automated.

If multiple people are entering, you will have a problem with Duplicate Records with different people entering the same occurrence, so maybe you just want it to be Read-Only for users.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »
Yes, I see how useful that might be. Can't do every event, but then some of them aren't really worth mapping anyway. So what do you think about mapping the following:

* Residential explosions
* Passenger planes crashing
* Any kind of plane burning
* Boat fires and explosions
* Big rig fires and explosions
* Major scrap metal fires, like auto salvage yards and metal recycling centers
* Any vehicle fire where 10+ vehicles burn
* All explosions involving nitric acid
* Naked crazy people incidents
* College students and kids mysteriously dropping dead
* Anybody dying foaming at the mouth
* Fatal non-accident vehicle fires
* Major train crashes and derailments
* Any vehicle crash with 10+ fatalities
* Mysterious city-shaking explosions
* Cities being hit by hydrogen sulfide or 'rotten egg' odor

That will leave out many accidents, and a lot of vehicle fires, and a lot of the people dying, but that should include enough to be very interesting, and hopefully restricting it to just those won't eat up TOO much (more) of my time. Heh.

And any other suggestions?

Fish kills?

Bird kills?

Other die-offs?

Of course, all of this data collection would not be very impressive as evidence if the cause of these events is merely presumed without any solid evidential basis, as has been the habit of azozeo and Jonny_Emm .
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
Of course, all of this data collection would not be very impressive as evidence if the cause of these events is merely presumed without any solid evidential basis, as has been the habit of azozeo and Jonny_Emm .

Actually, with enough data collection, you don't need the Cause at all.  All you need to do is show that the incidents are increasing in frequency and magnitude over time.  Then you can project out a curve which would show how long it will take before everyone is Foaming at the Mouth or Spontaneously Combusting.

What the data collection and analysis does do is encourage a deeper investigation into the cause of these incidents.  Without the data collection, you won't get such a "scientific" investigation.

It's a worthwhile task.  Definitely, the amount of Anecdotal Evidence JE has collected to date is very impressive.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »

It's a worthwhile task.  Definitely, the amount of Anecdotal Evidence JE has collected to date is very impressive.

RE

So was the information collected along the way by the eugenics movement. Motivation matters, when  it is the believers doing the information collecting and studying, it instantly begs the question of objectivity.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »

RE

So was the information collected along the way by the eugenics movement. Motivation matters, when  it is the believers doing the information collecting and studying, it instantly begs the question of objectivity.

Yes, we know this problem from Fracker Shills who purport to be scientists also.  Lack of objectivity is always a problem when people have an agenda they wish to promote.  Your papers for instance are filled with complete bullshit.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »

Actually, with enough data collection, you don't need the Cause at all.  All you need to do is show that the incidents are increasing in frequency and magnitude over time.  Then you can project out a curve which would show how long it will take before everyone is Foaming at the Mouth or Spontaneously Combusting.

The basic methodology of research in something like this would probably be the methods of epidemiology.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »

The basic methodology of research in something like this would probably be the methods of epidemiology.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology

A good suggestion, but we do lack the ability here to do such things as Clinical Trials and controlled experiments on smaller populations that Epidemiologists at say the CDC have available.

So, the best we can do here at the moment is to collect the data, sort it and look for patterns.  It won't be conclusive, but it's better than just piles of anecdotal data.

In any event, there is a LOT of data to work with here.  The number of stories that JE has collected up over time is phenomenal.

RE
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:35:06 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »

RE

Yes, we know this problem from Fracker Shills who purport to be scientists also.

Really? Name one.

Quote from: RE
Lack of objectivity is always a problem when people have an agenda they wish to promote. 

Science isn't supposed to be about promoting, certainly who funds any given scientists work is a reasonable question. Just as when discussing the ability of amateurs to do exploratory data analysis with an agenda, or the knowledge that stars are forming under our feet, Yellowstone was supposed to explode months ago according to these objective and scientific amateurs, and the Andes were caused by nearby celestial bodies. And now, those who don't know the difference between H2S, have certainly never been trained to work within that kind of environment, and who's noses don't know the difference between any sulfide in general and H2S, are to be put in charge of the data collection.

As opposed to those who have a history being objective, have published exploratory data analysis results as scientists in peer reviewed journals, are required to report all financial ties to maintain objectivity, and have decades of experience beyond reproach in this regard.

Quote from: RE

Your papers for instance are filled with complete bullshit.

RE

Never in my life have I written a paper full of bullshit, do you have one in particular in mind? I mean really I've been doing peer reviewed science for so long I might have forgotten one that was a bit sketchy I suppose, back in the early days.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »

RE

wow just wow, i thought the comparison with eugenics was for agw denial to discredit the empirical scientific method and the argument is they did not colect any information.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »
Really? Name one.

All of them.  Feel free to put any one of them up and we will Peer Review it here on the Diner.  :icon_sunny:

Man, you fell for that one like an amateur. That was the easiest set up I have done in years. LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »
its funny really considering eugenicists would ask you if he is an asshole and then ask him if his father was an asshole and then cut off his nuts to prevnt future assholes being born, when in fact natural selection definitely does not apply to personality.

RE

Yes, we know this problem from Fracker Shills who purport to be scientists also.  Lack of objectivity is always a problem when people have an agenda they wish to promote.  Your papers for instance are filled with complete bullshit.

RE
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »

RE

RE

It never fails.....

There's always speed bumps on the Autobahn.
Thank you peanut gallery for your precious input !!!!
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
Really? Name one.

All of them.  Feel free to put any one of them up and we will Peer Review it here on the Diner.  :icon_sunny:

Man, you fell for that one like an amateur. That was the easiest set up I have done in years. LOL.

RE

I'm like the dog at a Sunday bar b que  waitin' on this to happen !!!!!
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 03:01:36 PM »
A good suggestion, but we do lack the ability here to do such things as Clinical Trials and controlled experiments on smaller populations that Epidemiologists at say the CDC have available.
Maybe we could do some controlled experiments at sites being actively fracked?  :evil4:  Or better yet, how about Wall Street, the City of London, or Davos at the right time of year?  :icon_mrgreen:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....