Poll

Which Map Widget do you prefer for the Diner Blog?

Revolving Globe
2 (40%)
Flat Map
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

AuthorTopic: The Year on Diner Soundcloud  (Read 19572 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Year on Diner Soundcloud
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:11 AM »
The Soundcloud Stats are one of the best direct indicators we have of the Total Reach of the Diner and how many people are really engaged in the topics we discuss.

Page Hits on Google Analytics are certainly better than the Alexa Stats, but even with Page Hits it's hard to determine how many people are just one time brief passers-by the Diner on the way to some other Final Destination, and how many stop in regularly for a meal.

Now, there are some people who will only read the Blog and don't like to Listen, so you miss counting those people with the Audio stats.  There are various reasons for this, many people simply don't have the Bandwidth to spend listening, particularly in the 3rd World countries. Even if you have the bandwidth, if you are not a Native speaker of English and can just about parse the written version, you certainly will not be able to follow my Rants at the speed I talk at. Even so, the list of Most Played Tracks, Top Countries & Top Cities is quite impressive.

Here is the tally for the last 12 months on Soundcloud.  You get the Top 50 in any Category.

Most Played Tracks Top Countries Top Cities
Collapse Cafe - Nicole Foss(Energy) 3,360 plays U United States 39,792 plays T Toronto, Canada 707 plays
Collapse Cafe - Dmitry Orlov Part 1 (Ukraine and energy) 3,333 plays Canada 8,485 plays Burnaby, Canada 606 plays
Collapse Cafe - Dmitry Orlov part 2 (supply chains, population decline and community) 3,098 plays United Kingdom 5,358 plays Los Angeles, CA 526 plays
Collapse Cafe - Steve Ludlum Part 1 (Fundamentals) 1,314 plays Australia 2,391 plays Birmingham, United Kingdom 508 plays
ANTI-DOLLAR!!! 1,131 plays Czech Republic 2,003 plays Calgary, Canada 470 plays
Thrilla in Doomervilla: Extinction or Bottleneck? 1,100 plays New Zealand 1,109 plays Montréal, Canada 448 plays
Collapse Cafe - Thomas Lewis 999 plays Netherlands 986 plays Memphis, TN 428 plays
Collapse Cafe - Cli-Fi with Jim Laughter and Ugo Bardi 970 plays Germany 965 plays London, United Kingdom 378 plays
Parades: Courtesy of the Red, White & Blue 890 plays Thailand 875 plays Chicago, IL 370 plays
Extinction? Frostbite Falls Daily Rant #24- April 5, 2014 873 plays Sweden 609 plays Craig, AK 353 plays
Ebola: I See Dead People 2 845 plays Ireland 455 plays Denver, CO 313 plays
Conversation with Guy McPherson II 797 plays France 447 plays Seattle, WA 309 plays
The Black Albatross 743 plays South Africa 353 plays Vancouver, Canada 294 plays
SNAP to RIOT 2 in #ferguson 684 plays Finland 338 plays Monterey, CA 269 plays
SWISSIE CAPITULATION! 684 plays Mexico 316 plays Salt Lake City, UT 269 plays
Oil Crash!!! 668 plays Norway 313 plays San Francisco, CA 261 plays
COMETH DEFLATION! 637 plays Poland 292 plays Portland, OR 255 plays
WWIII Begins! FFDR #42-5/20/14 633 plays Spain 219 plays Victoria, Canada 251 plays
Collapse Cafe - Thomas Lewis Part 2 631 plays Switzerland 186 plays San Jose, CA 247 plays
Smokin' Economista Crack 617 plays Brazil 166 plays Austin, TX 242 plays
Sinking Titanics: Euro, Yen & Oil 613 plays Denmark 153 plays Saint Louis, MO 232 plays
Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Arctic Oil & Hong Kong Riots 596 plays Belgium 150 plays Amsterdam, Netherlands 229 plays
Collapse Cafe - Steve Ludlum Part 3 585 plays Qatar 144 plays Brisbane, Australia 216 plays
Oil Crash 2 584 plays Austria 137 plays Albany, NY 215 plays
Collapse Cafe - Mark Garavan 573 plays Luxembourg 131 plays Hobart, Australia 188 plays
Demand Destruction 573 plays New Caledonia 124 plays Shepperton, United Kingdom 164 plays
SECESSION!!! Scotland to Texas to Alaska...AND BEYOND! 563 plays Russian Federation 114 plays Santa Monica, CA 150 plays
2014 New Years Special Edition Rant: End of the Beginning 559 plays Singapore 109 plays Auckland, New Zealand 150 plays
Collapse Cafe - Jason Heppenstall 555 plays Iceland 108 plays Thurmont, MD 144 plays
Collapse Cafe - Steve Ludlum Part 2 555 plays Italy 107 plays Omaha, NE 139 plays
Fukushima: The Gift that Keeps on Giving - FFDR 5/30/14 545 plays Ecuador 106 plays Phoenix, AZ 133 plays
Twilight In Amerika 539 plays Peru 93 plays Thunder Bay, Canada 132 plays
Cultural Stupidity: You Can't Make This Shit Up 535 plays Portugal 91 plays Cedar Rapids, IA 131 plays
Ignorance Of History 517 plays Serbia 90 plays San Diego, CA 130 plays
Fining Putin 513 plays Japan 85 plays Winnipeg, Canada 127 plays
Ron Patterson Interview: Peak Oil 502 plays India 84 plays Harvard, IL 127 plays
Collective Insanity 502 plays Philippines 83 plays Kitchener, Canada 126 plays
Ebola: I See Dead People 3 495 plays Slovenia 78 plays Squamish, Canada 123 plays
Parade of Lies 481 plays Argentina 74 plays Pretoria, South Africa 121 plays
Bombs of Democracy: A Failure to Communicate 474 plays Bulgaria 62 plays Harrisburg, PA 121 plays
Pandora's Box 472 plays Costa Rica 60 plays Boise, ID 120 plays
Financial WWIII-Frostbite Falls 4/17/14 472 plays Croatia 52 plays Sudbury, Canada 116 plays
Greek Souvlaki Redux 467 plays Romania 50 plays Wellington, New Zealand 111 plays
Competitive Currency Devaluation & Deflation 464 plays Korea, Republic of 46 plays Tucson, AZ 110 plays
Deflation Doom- Frostbite Falls Daily Rant #27- April 19, 2014 450 plays Turkey 45 plays Sydney, Australia 109 plays
SNAP to Riot in #ferguson 447 plays Estonia 42 plays Eau Claire, WI 108 plays
Greek Debt Chicken Game 445 plays Hong Kong 34 plays Belleville, Canada 107 plays
Technophilia 440 plays Greece 34 plays Mesa, AZ 107 plays
Ruble Run Insanity 437 plays Malaysia 27 plays Campbell River, Canada 107 plays
Japan Goes Full Retard 433 plays Indonesia 26 plays Santa Fe Springs, CA 105 plays
Other tracks 30,309 plays Other countries 1,505 plays Other cities 58,000 plays

Now, this is just the last 12 months of data.  The Top Listen Track of Nicole Foss actually has a total of 6000 Listens now.  That track is one of the first we recorded and goes back almost 2 years.  It got many of its Listens before this 12 month period began.

As you might expect, the Top 4 Countries Listening are all the English Speaking ones, the FSoA, Canada, UK and Oz.  Interestingly though, the Czech Republic Tops the Kiwis in New Zealand for Listens.  We have a few Listeners in Mother Russia, but NONE in China.  Why not?  Well, if you have been following Our Finite World and Gail's ongoing China Trip which I am helping her chronicle over there, you know why.  Gail can barely access the Internet, much less be listening to Audio over the net in China.  It's simply not available, either Censored or the infrastructure isn't there for it.  The way we get the posts up is she sends them to me in Email, and then I post them up under my Byline on OFW.  I'm an Author over there, so I can post and publish my own stuff on her blog.  Email you can do from China, but you cannot Edit a Wordpress Blog from over there, this is Blocked.

Far as the Cities go, what I find truly fascinating is that the largest Big Shities in the FSoA, NY Shity, Dallas-Fort Worth do not show up at ALL on the list! Even though the FSoA BY FAR is the largest Country with Listeners, the largest number of Listens from a single Shity is the Hosers in Toronto, Canada! Obviously, Doomers do not live in major FSoA Metros.  LOL.  OK, Los Angeles does have some Doomers.  The Water issues there gotta be hitting their consciousness by now.  Chicago too has some Doomers.  None from Detroit though, and NOBODY from Vegas, at least in the Top 50!  Have these folks not managed to notice the water level in Lake Mead?  What?

In discussions with Allan Stromfeldt Christensen, I mentioned to him that my estimate of the TOTAL number of people who visit ALL Collapse Websites was probably no more than 10,000.  Anybody who is a regular Kollapsnik visits all of them, or as many as they can turn up, so Kunstler's readers are Orlov's readers are JMG's readers etc.  These readers find their Favorite, and tend to spend most of their time online there, and usually only contribute to one or two commentariats, if they comment at all, and most do not.  A few of us Bloggers like Steve from Virginia from Economic Undertow and me ocassionally Poach the commentariat on other sites, but most of the other Bloggers don't do that.  It's time consuming, and you got enough to do with your own Blog.

In terms of Total Number of Collapse Bloggers, I estimated that number at under 100.  I do not count Financial Websites like Zero Hedge or even TBP in this, because these folks don't recognize that its not just the Financial system imploding, the Whole Fucking Ball of Wax is going down here. I don't include Geopolitical analysts like Tony Cartalucci from Land Destroyer either. In terms of Top Bloggers who recognize this, it's less than 20 I think.  Chris Martenson I think recognizes it, though he soft pedals it some as a Financial Website.  A few of the Top Bloggers who recognize the implications of Collapse (although I don't agree with many of their interpretations) are the following I can Identify, in no particular order:

Reverse Engineer (ME! :icon_sunny:)
Gail Tverberg
James Howard Kunstler
Dmitry Orlov
John Michael Greer
Guy McPherson
Albert Bates
Ugo Bardi
Steve Ludlum
Tom Lewis
X-Ray Mike

If you have some other folks you follow that you think should be included in the list of Top Collapse Blogs, suggest them here in the thread.  I am going to turn this into a Blog Article after I get some feedback from the Diners.

There are other smaller Blogs and Bloggers, I've run into a few lately, td0s from Pray for Calamity, Allan Stromfeldt Christensen from From Filmers to Farmers and of course my old friends William Hunter Duncan from Off the Grid in Minneapolis, Lucid Dreams from Epiphany Now and Gypsy Mama from The Butterchurn, but none of them are doing a whole lotta Blogging these days.  Then there is likely other ones I have not yet discovered, but I still think the total number is under 100.

In addition, there has been quite a bit of Burnout amongst long time Collapse Bloggers.  Nicole Foss hardly ever blogs anymore, Ilargi is doing the whole show on The Automatic Earth these days.  Matt Savinar is gone, Mike Ruppert is gone, Joe Bageant is gone, and many Commenters I know from the Peak Oil Forum are also gone now.  Recently departed from the Financial Blogosphere is Karl Denninger, who ran Market Ticker and Ticker Forum.

Many people have given up on trying to use the Internet to disseminate the information that never makes it out in the MSM, or is tortuously spun as Propaganda that is just a pack of endless Lies and Misinfomation.  Here on the Diner, we haven't given up yet.  More people are waking up now, and the Collapse is becoming obvious enough now that only the most Deluded of Denialists cannot see it.  There is still time and room to inform more people of what us Old Timers already know, that the Age of Oil is coming to a close, and if you don't prepare yourself at least Psychologically for this, you are not gonna make it through the Zero Point when TSHTF.

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN
RE
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:53:36 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: The Year on Diner Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:40:38 AM »
If you have some other folks you follow that you think should be included in the list of Top Collapse Blogs, suggest them here in the thread.  I am going to turn this into a Blog Article after I get some feedback from the Diners.
Carolyn Baker ("Speaking Truth To Power", http://www.carolynbaker.net/) definitely deserves a mention when it comes to adjusting psychologically to collapse.

Richard Heinberg (http://richardheinberg.com/category/museletter) I think also belongs on the list, at least as regards peak oil, if not general collapse.

I would put Tom Murphy ("Do the Math", http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/) on the burnout list.  He has posted a couple times this year, but he was much more prolific in previous years.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:47:42 AM by jdwheeler42 »
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Year on Diner Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
Carolyn Baker ("Speaking Truth To Power", http://www.carolynbaker.net/) definitely deserves a mention when it comes to adjusting psychologically to collapse.

Richard Heinberg (http://richardheinberg.com/category/museletter) I think also belongs on the list, at least as regards peak oil, if not general collapse.

I would put Tom Murphy ("Do the Math", http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/) on the burnout list.  He has posted a couple times this year, but he was much more prolific in previous years.

I'll add them, although I don't really count Heinberg as a Blogger since he has his Post Carbon Institute.  Not familiar with the work of Tom Murphy.  Far as Carolyn goes, I don't read her stuff or Guy McPherson, but I suppose she counts.  Guy himself actually rarely writes a blog (last time I checked there anyhow), he just puts up stuff contributors send to him these days.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How Many Kollapsniks are there Globally?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

In discussions with Allan Stromfeldt Christensen, I mentioned to him that my estimate of the TOTAL number of people who visit ALL Collapse Websites was probably no more than 10,000.

I am going to revise this estimate up to 20,000.

Over on OFW, where I have been helping Gail get up her Travelogue from China, she currently has 18,152 Followers.  She's been around quite a while since TOD days, and she's an Active Blogger as well.  I think most Kollapsniks know about her blog so it's a good benchmark.

Now, not everyone who lists as a Follower is likely a Kollapsnik, since you get a lot of SPAM registrants on any website.  On the other hand, quite a few people who visit the blogs never register or list to follow the blog.  So I will call that a wash as a WAG.

20,000 is a fairly decent size group of people, but on the other hand very small compared to a total population of 7B.  It's .0003% of the total Global Population.

However, there probably are a decent number of people who never get on the net at all who are aware that there is a collapse underway, but probably not more than 1,000,000 Globally.  That is still only .015%.  There are fewer of us than there are Global Illuminati Pigmen!

We are members of a VERY Exclusive Club!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Kollapsniks are there Globally?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:09:36 PM »

In discussions with Allan Stromfeldt Christensen, I mentioned to him that my estimate of the TOTAL number of people who visit ALL Collapse Websites was probably no more than 10,000.

I am going to revise this estimate up to 20,000.

Over on OFW, where I have been helping Gail get up her Travelogue from China, she currently has 18,152 Followers.  She's been around quite a while since TOD days, and she's an Active Blogger as well.  I think most Kollapsniks know about her blog so it's a good benchmark.

Now, not everyone who lists as a Follower is likely a Kollapsnik, since you get a lot of SPAM registrants on any website.  On the other hand, quite a few people who visit the blogs never register or list to follow the blog.  So I will call that a wash as a WAG.

20,000 is a fairly decent size group of people, but on the other hand very small compared to a total population of 7B.  It's .0003% of the total Global Population.

However, there probably are a decent number of people who never get on the net at all who are aware that there is a collapse underway, but probably not more than 1,000,000 Globally.  That is still only .015%.  There are fewer of us than there are Global Illuminati Pigmen!

RE

I think there are more people aware but refuse to acknowledge
it or just don't have the stomach for it.
It's kinda like creep show movies. We all know they exist but
can't handle the blood & gore etc. i.e. Freddy Krueger, Friday 13th, etc.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »

People who are in Willful Denial do not count as Kollapsniks.  To be a Kollapsnik you have to know it, understand it and accept it as Truth with a Capital T.

BTW, I own Kollapsnik.com URL.  I scarfed it up when I realized Dmitry hadn't got it.  LOL.  Haven't made a website for it yet though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »

People who are in Willful Denial do not count as Kollapsniks.  To be a Kollapsnik you have to know it, understand it and accept it as Truth with a Capital T.

At first I thought you were pitching :
Hungarian mfg. 2 door eco-friendly death traps  :icon_scratch:

BTW, I own Kollapsnik.com URL.  I scarfed it up when I realized Dmitry hadn't got it.  LOL.  Haven't made a website for it yet though.

RE

At first I thought you were pitching :
Hungarian mfg. 2 door eco-friendly death traps  :icon_scratch:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »

I have to question your assumptions... I think a lot of homesteaders, preppers, and survivalists are aware that a collapse is underway, and there are several million of those in the US alone.  Still talking in the single digits percentage-wise, though.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »

I have to question your assumptions... I think a lot of homesteaders, preppers, and survivalists are aware that a collapse is underway, and there are several million of those in the US alone.  Still talking in the single digits percentage-wise, though.

Where does the estimate come from?  I Googled up this one:

http://www.offthegridnews.com/extreme-survival/the-modern-survivalist-movement-its-really-not-all-that-modern/

While there are no accurate figures about how many people in the United States identify themselves as “preppers,” estimates range right around 3 million people.

Where did they pull that number from?

Even if you accept the number, I don't think just being a Prepper or Survivalist makes you a Kollapsnik.  Again, you have to know, understand and accept as Truth with a Capital T that Industrial Civilization is coming to an end.  Most Preppers just prep to make it through a Hurricane or short term disruption of daily life.  Few of them grasp that Industrial Civilization itself is coming to an end.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »
http://www.offthegridnews.com/extreme-survival/the-modern-survivalist-movement-its-really-not-all-that-modern/

While there are no accurate figures about how many people in the United States identify themselves as “preppers,” estimates range right around 3 million people.

Even if you accept the number, I don't think just being a Prepper or Survivalist makes you a Kollapsnik.  Again, you have to know, understand and accept as Truth with a Capital T that Industrial Civilization is coming to an end.  Most Preppers just prep to make it through a Hurricane or short term disruption of daily life.  Few of them grasp that Industrial Civilization itself is coming to an end.
In absolute numbers, I think you are wrong, if you read a lot of their blogs, many of them do grasp that Industrial Civilization is coming to an end, at least as many as you identify as kollapsniks.  However, I bet you are correct in that in order to get a number as high as 3 million, they do count everyone who prepares for any kind of short term emergency.  Quite frankly, I represent both: I am aware of the collapsing civilization, but I am not prepared to survive anything more than several weeks, because quite frankly I have no interest in doing so (or at least I didn't until I had a kid, but I'm definitely still adjusting there).

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »

In absolute numbers, I think you are wrong, if you read a lot of their blogs, many of them do grasp that Industrial Civilization is coming to an end, at least as many as you identify as kollapsniks.  However, I bet you are correct in that in order to get a number as high as 3 million, they do count everyone who prepares for any kind of short term emergency.  Quite frankly, I represent both: I am aware of the collapsing civilization, but I am not prepared to survive anything more than several weeks, because quite frankly I have no interest in doing so (or at least I didn't until I had a kid, but I'm definitely still adjusting there).

I'm definitely out the door when it tanks completely, if I even make it that long.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Ka

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 01:50:40 AM »

Even if you accept the number, I don't think just being a Prepper or Survivalist makes you a Kollapsnik.  Again, you have to know, understand and accept as Truth with a Capital T that Industrial Civilization is coming to an end.  Most Preppers just prep to make it through a Hurricane or short term disruption of daily lifedefine.  Few of them grasp that Industrial Civilization itself is coming to an end.

RE

Hmm. As I think of industrial civilization, I would not count as a Kollapsnik. I call myself a doomer because I accept as Truth that there will be a financial collapse leading to economic collapse leading to political collapse, but I do not assume it goes further than that. (It might, but it might not -- and it will (already has) in some places, but not necessarily in all.) So while I expect capitalism to collapse, I think it quite possible that industrial civilization can continue, albeit on a third world level and under some form of military dictatorship. That is, nations with an electrical grid and manufacturing.

I also think there is a range of Kollapsnikness. On occasion I have heard someone say something that indicates a lack of faith in BAU. For example, a 30-ish moderately intelligent fellow worker who said she did not expect Social Security to be operating by the time she retires (this was about 15 years ago). Or some folks on a metaphysics discussion group making offhand remarks of impending collapse.

It could be that a lot of people are like me about 30 years ago. At the time I was aware that debt (consumer and government) was increasing, and if it wasn't reined in would mean The End at some point, quite possibly within my lifetime. Plus being aware of Limits to Growth. But somehow, this sort of thinking would mostly stay in the background. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I would say it became Truth with a capital T -- but again I would call it a Doom Lite and not a Full Doom Truth.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 03:26:24 AM »

RE

You ought to set it up and map it to DD.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kollapsnik.com
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 04:32:10 AM »

RE

Great idea!

I'll map it to the Homepage of the Forum!  That will give the Forum it's own identity!

"Kollapsnik.com. Chat with your fellow Kollapsniks."

i'll get on that right now.

RE
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:45:04 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kollapsnik.com
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 04:42:29 AM »

RE

Great idea!

I'll map it to the Homepage of the Forum!  That will give the Forum it's own identity!

"Kollapsnik.com. Chat with your fellow Kollapsniks."

i'll get on that right now.

RE

Done.

The domain actually was set up to forward to the Diner Blog Homepage.  However, I now have it set to come here to the Forum Homepage.  I also changed it to permanent forwarding, so now the Forum will accumulate it's own Google Analytics and Alexa stats.  :icon_sunny:

So now when you meet somebody you want to invite for a chat, you can just say "join us on Kollapsnik.com".nn :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:45:47 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can