AuthorTopic: THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE!!!!!  (Read 5894 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
YES!!!!!

Something I wanted from the very beginning on the Diner, which neither Peter or Harry was able to set up for me.

AUTOMATED NEWZ CONTENT FROM AROUND THE DOOMOSPHERE NOW AVAILABLE ON THE DINER NEWZ PAGE!!!!

That is pretty cool.

Thanks MS!
:hi: to the Diner.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: 33 Doom Information Buttons
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
I have added a 5th line of Newz Feed Buttons to the Diner Newz Page.  The FULL current list is as follows:

Economic Undertow, Our Finite World, Econintersect, Zero Hedge, Global Research, Salon, Collapse, Futurology, History, OilPrice, Resilience, The Slog,Wolf Street, Daily Impact, Renewable Revolution, Archdruid Report, Club Orlov, Clusterfuck Nation,Resource Crisis, Nature Bats Last, Peak Prosperity,Daily Collapse Report, Prepper, Bullets Beans Bullion,Bison Prepper, SHTF Plan,TEOTWAKI,Economic Collapse,Land Destroyer,Vineyard of the Saker, Collapse of Industrial Civilization,FEASTA

@5 Links per site, this is 165 possible storiez to check out on a given day.  You can't read much more Doom than that in one day.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
You might want to check out Feedly, which is a news aggregator. I used it when I was posting up diner news,  just loaded in the URLs you want it to comb through, and it posts up the stories that they published. Very much like what you're doing on the site, but one stop shopping. Check it out!
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Homepage: Our Finite World & Economic Undertow Commentariat Feeds
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
I now have added Feeds from my two favorite Commentariats to Poach, Gail's on Our Finite World and Steve's on Economic Undertow.

Both very good and literate commentariats, often with posts that are quite informative.

Both are on the Right Menu Bar with recent 5 posts made to those Commentaries.  Scan down the bar to find them.

Update speed is still being tweaked.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Problem Solving Update
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 05:06:50 AM »
Update on the Knewz page.

I was getting a lot of complaints about the page loading slow, and then it started messing up the formatting on the page itself.

Problem was, I had enabled rich text and html in the feeds, and this was just way too much stuff for many computers and browsers to handle.  I am told Google Chrome did the best job with handling it though.

In any event, I made a new widget without the html, and it's running much smoother and loads faster.

The Sidebar Widgets are fabulous!  I can now jump right over to the OFW commentariat and pick up on a conversation without having to scroll though the whole deal to find it!  :icon_mrgreen:

It's still only updating about every 24 hours, but this is OK since most of the sites don't put up more than 5 new articles every 24.  Hopefully the Database Cavalry From California will be able to get the refresh rate up a bit, but even if not it's still pretty much exactly what I wanted to have in terms of delivering the Doom News from around the Blogosphere.  There's about 33 sites currently listed on 5 lines of buttons.  Positioned with the Buttons at the top of the screen, this leaves room to see 4 of the 5 scrolling snippets.  With 3 more lines of buttons, this would knock down the room for the scroll to 3 snippets at a time, still OK.

So, we have room for up to about 15 more Doom sites if anyone wants to suggest some other ones.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Problem Solving Update
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »

The Sidebar Widgets are fabulous!  I can now jump right over to the OFW commentariat and pick up on a conversation without having to scroll though the whole deal to find it!  :icon_mrgreen:

//

So, we have room for up to about 15 more Doom sites if anyone wants to suggest some other ones.

RE

Washington's Blog, for one. I'll have some other ideas now that I'm back. More later.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Problem Solving Update
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 06:56:40 AM »
Per suggestions from Surly, I have re-ordered the Widgets on the Newz Page and on the Sidebar to give the Newz Page a different "look" than the Blog Page and to bring up the Diner Twitter Feed on the sidebar.

I'm going to work on adding a new line of Buttons to the News Feeds.

Doom Central is going into HIGH GEAR!  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: NEW FEEDS!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »
I have added another line of Feeds.  :icon_sunny:

Here is the current Full List:

Doomstead Diner,Economic Undertow, Our Finite World, Econintersect, Zero Hedge, Global Research, Salon, Collapse, Futurology, History, OilPrice, Resilience, The Slog,Wolf Street, Daily Impact, Renewable Revolution, Archdruid Report, Club Orlov, Clusterfuck Nation,Resource Crisis, Peak Prosperity,Daily Collapse Report, Prepper, Bullets Beans Bullion,Bison Prepper, SHTF Plan,TEOTWAKI,Economic Collapse,Land Destroyer,Vineyard of the Saker, Collapse of Industrial Civilization,FEASTA,George Washington,Nature Bats Last, Ambrose, Of Two Minds,Naked Capitalism,Russia Today

Latest additions are in Bold.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Knews Hound Individual Widgets on the Blog?
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
I have discovered that each and every Board on the Diner Forum has its OWN individual RSS Feed!

What this means is first off I can drop on a Widget in addition to the Diner Total Posting Widget currently up with the storiez particular to the Knewz Forum.  Is that worthwhile to do or overkill?

Second, for each of you that runs a Knewz Channel, by creating an Independent Forum for it you could have your OWN Widget on the Blog covering just what is going on with your Knew Channel.  Then when you check the Blog each day, you can see the activity on your Channel.  You would also have your own RSS Feed to hand off to friends, basically your own website.

I have gone Widget Crazy here, so I don't want to do any of this without getting some feedback from more Sane Diners. OK, that's an Oxymoron. LOL.  ::)

RE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:30:43 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Online knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Diner Knews Hound Individual Widgets on the Blog?
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
I have discovered that each and every Board on the Diner Forum has its OWN individual RSS Feed!

What this means is first off I can drop on a Widget in addition to the Diner Total Posting Widget currently up with the storiez particular to the Knewz Forum.  Is that worthwhile to do or overkill?

Second, for each of you that runs a Knewz Channel, by creating an Independent Forum for it you could have your OWN Widget on the Blog covering just what is going on with your Knew Channel.  Then when you check the Blog each day, you can see the activity on your Channel.  You would also have your own RSS Feed to hand off to friends, basically your own website.

I have gone Widget Crazy here, so I don't want to do any of this without getting some feedback from more Sane Diners. OK, that's an Oxymoron. LOL.  ::)

RE

I like it the way it is now. People can visit the forum to get at the Knewz posts.   IMHO
Everything, I mean EVERYTHING, is a BIG FUCKING MESS!!

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »

RE

I like it the way it is now. People can visit the forum to get at the Knewz posts.   IMHO

I'm with knarf. Let's let the dust settle and see where we are.

Sane?  :exp-huh: :exp-huh:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:16:54 PM by Surly1 »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »

RE

I figured out a Compromise Solution.  :icon_sunny:

I already had up a Widget for Knewz which was duplicated more extensively on the new Knewz page.  It was redundant.

So, I eliminated some of the buttons there, and replaced with a Lead Button for the Diner News Forum, which appears as Default.  I left up the buttons for GEI, Zero Hedge and Salon in this Widget.

Layout of the Nav Bar has not changed, but now Storiez which appear daily in Diner News are Featured.

This looks good IMHO.  It's giving a different selection of results than you get from the general Diner Forum Widget.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Sidebar Cleanup & Enhancement
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
I realized I could use fewer Widgets and categorize better by Buttonizing a couple of the widgets.

Now there is an Alternate Perspectives Widget, which includes feeds not just from AGs Renewable Revolution, but also JMs Jumping Jack Flash website.

Instead of separate widgets for the Commentariats from OFW and EU, there is now one widget for Top Commentariats.

I am taking suggestions for 1 or 2 more buttons for each of those Widgets.  If you have a favorite alternative site or a commentariat you frequent with good literate commentary ongoing, let me know and I will have a look.

This has freed up room for a couple of more feed widgets.  I was thinking feeds from Energy industry sources might be good, and a feed from Climate Science websites as well.  Suggestions for sites to include on those widgets are welcome.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
I realized I could use fewer Widgets and categorize better by Buttonizing a couple of the widgets.

Now there is an Alternate Perspectives Widget, which includes feeds not just from AGs Renewable Revolution, but also JMs Jumping Jack Flash website.

Instead of separate widgets for the Commentariats from OFW and EU, there is now one widget for Top Commentariats.

I am taking suggestions for 1 or 2 more buttons for each of those Widgets.  If you have a favorite alternative site or a commentariat you frequent with good literate commentary ongoing, let me know and I will have a look.

This has freed up room for a couple of more feed widgets.  I was thinking feeds from Energy industry sources might be good, and a feed from Climate Science websites as well.  Suggestions for sites to include on those widgets are welcome.

RE
Nice touch putting Renewable Revolution in white on black background!  :emthup:  ;D
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
This is THE Climate web site by Climate Scientists:
http://www.realclimate.org/

It has won science and technology web awards.  :emthup:

About

RealClimate is a commentary site on climate science by working climate scientists for the interested public and journalists. We aim to provide a quick response to developing stories and provide the context sometimes missing in mainstream commentary. The discussion here is restricted to scientific topics and will not get involved in any political or economic implications of the science. All posts are signed by the author(s), except ‘group’ posts which are collective efforts from the whole team. This is a moderated forum.

Technical details

The header banner is constructed from a 1992 photograph from the Space Shuttle (mission STS-50) of clouds and fog over the Indian subcontinent, a 1999 photograph of the sun taken with the Extreme UV Imaging Telescope onboard the SOHO satellite and a stock picture of power station cooling towers (of unknown provenance), all put together using The Gimp.

We use WordPress blogging software and are hosted at webfaction.com. Site design is by Gavin, with some elements inspired by the setup at Cosmic Variance.

Google Custom Search results are from a subset of the web that we consider provide quality information on climate science. This includes scientific agencies, mainstream climate centres and universities around the world. If you would like us to include more sites, email us the details and we’ll consider it.
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.