AuthorTopic: THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE!!!!!  (Read 5974 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Energy Widgets & Sustainability Links
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
I now have 3 AWESOME new Widgets up keeping track of Energy.

World Energy Production

US Energy Consumption

Renewable Energy Production

I also added a widget for Sustainable Communities.  Listed so far in that is the SUN Website, Albert Bates' Peak Surfer blog and Transition Voice.

That is one information DENSE sidebar!  :icon_sunny:

Here's a World Population Widget.  You can type the name of a country or continent into the Submit box and get back an estimate for that location. Too big for the sidebar though.  :( Still looking for a good one.

Here's a Population Clock

World Clock by Poodwaddle.com
RE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:12:12 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: World Population Stats
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »
I found you can customize the population stats widget to fit your page.  :icon_sunny:

It now appears right beneath the Global Diners Revolver Widget.

Type in the name of any country or continent, and you'll get a Popup window with lots of good demographic info.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

Nice touch putting Renewable Revolution in white on black background!  :emthup:  ;D

That's because it's the first on the list and is the Default Active Button for that widget.  If you click on Jumping Jack Flash's Button beneath it, then his will turn white on black and his list of recent stuff will appear below the button.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Technical Journal Article Links
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »
I now have widgets for Technical Journal article links on the Nav bar on the blog.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find links for scholarly articles in Climate, Earth Science, Marine Science, Ecology & Evolution, Environmental Science and...wait for it...

THE JOURNAL OF PETROLEUM SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
Last was rather a bear to pull off of Science Direct.  I did it in honor of Professor Moriarty's tireless contributions to the Diner DN&F file.  LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ PAGE: Global Earthquakes & Volcanos
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »
The Nav bar now has an Interactive Earthquake & Volcano widget in place of the static pic I had up before.

You get all the latest data on recent quakes and eruptions, where they occurred, magnitude etc.

If you click on Enlarge, you get a popup of the map you can mouse over and find out details.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
World Population Widget: How to Use it
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 01:12:02 AM »
This Widget is really quite remarkable.  You can instantly get at your fingertips all sorts of demographic info.

For instance, I keyboarded in "Mexico", and here is the data that the widget returns in the popup window:

Source information »

Here's Russia:

Source information »

You have to click on "Show Rates" to get this data set.

Marvelous!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE NEW DINER NEWZ GETS A FACELIFT!
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
While the New Diner Newz Page was very Information Dense with 47 Newz Feeds coming in from around the Collapse Blogosphere, visually it was very dull and too my mind did not grab the reader's attention.

I have now added a new Sub Header for this page designed to both attract the attention of a Kollapsnik, as well as provide a new set of Links inside the Diner Forum.  Here it is:

This gives the page a "Look" similar to the Homepage, but with a distinctive sub-header that makes it immediately clear you are on a different page with different content.  When I briefly had the Recent Article Slider up there, the pages looked too much alike until the reader scrolled down.

The Links bring the readers inside the Diner Forum for a Look See on recent discussion and debate.  So hopefully this gets us a few new Active Diners.

I also have added a bevy of new Widgets to the Nav Bar with regularly updated stats on Energy Production and Consumption, Population Estimates and Demographics, Debt Counters, etc.  There are also new Feeds in Energy and for Alternate Perspective websites.

Let me know what you think of the new look, and how your Page Load times are.  My load time is OK, the Newz Page takes the longest because it is accessing so many feeds, but it's still under 10 seconds for me.

RE
Save As Many As You Can