AuthorTopic: New WYSIWYG Text Editor for the Blog  (Read 1908 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
New WYSIWYG Text Editor for the Blog
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
The Diner Blog now has a new more fully functional Text Editor both for the Authors (VERY Comprehensive!) and also for making comments (stripped down version, but still way better than before).

It's now much easier to get pics in, set up layout, etc in both articles and comments on the Blog.

I am considering dropping a new text editor here inside the Forum also, but most Diners seem to be used to the way the current one works so not sure I should change it.  Not sure we will retain all the same Buttons for Smileys etc if I make the change, or how the Embedding aspects will change either.

Should I try doing this?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New WYSIWYG Text Editor for the Blog
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 05:40:12 PM »
The Diner Blog now has a new more fully functional Text Editor both for the Authors (VERY Comprehensive!) and also for making comments (stripped down version, but still way better than before).

It's now much easier to get pics in, set up layout, etc in both articles and comments on the Blog.

I am considering dropping a new text editor here inside the Forum also, but most Diners seem to be used to the way the current one works so not sure I should change it.  Not sure we will retain all the same Buttons for Smileys etc if I make the change, or how the Embedding aspects will change either.

Should I try doing this?

RE

I think this boils down to your preference. Unless there was a "test cycle" where normal, everyday forum commenters could give it a go and kick it around some.

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »

Should I try doing this?

RE

I think this boils down to your preference. Unless there was a "test cycle" where normal, everyday forum commenters could give it a go and kick it around some.

If I was certain I could Uninstall it and revert back to what we currently have, I would do that.

However, Peter installed the current one custom, and I think if I overwrite with a new one, I probably can only revert to the default, which has nothing in it.  If I knew how to go into the code and copy what is currently there, I could also do this, but I'm not sure where these lines of code are located.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »

Should I try doing this?

RE

If I was certain I could Uninstall it and revert back to what we currently have, I would do that.

However, Peter installed the current one custom, and I think if I overwrite with a new one, I probably can only revert to the default, which has nothing in it.  If I knew how to go into the code and copy what is currently there, I could also do this, but I'm not sure where these lines of code are located.

RE

I see. I'm thinking a separate image of the current system...in a test partition.  Have no idea how you might do this, but virtual system images make things SO EASY sometimes.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »

Should I try doing this?

RE

RE

I see. I'm thinking a separate image of the current system...in a test partition.  Have no idea how you might do this, but virtual system images make things SO EASY sometimes.

That is beyond my current level of expertiese JP.  If you can give me some hints on how to do that without bogging down in the coding, I am all ears.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »

Should I try doing this?

RE

RE

That is beyond my current level of expertiese JP.  If you can give me some hints on how to do that without bogging down in the coding, I am all ears.

RE

Beyond mine as well.  I just use the virtual systems.  Same maintenance and fix level as the customer..check.  That is a big check sometimes.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:59:45 PM »
I'd say, since the change is not easily reversible, leave things as you have them now for at least a month or so.  See how well people like the new editor at the blog.  If there are any major complaints, keep what we have here in place.  If everyone is enthusiastic about the new one, then seriously consider changing it here.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »
I'd say, since the change is not easily reversible, leave things as you have them now for at least a month or so.  See how well people like the new editor at the blog.  If there are any major complaints, keep what we have here in place.  If everyone is enthusiastic about the new one, then seriously consider changing it here.

Problem with that is the Plugins for WP and SMF are not the same, and I don't know how well the new one will work here in the forum.  I chanced it over on WP because there wasn't anything already there to mess up.  Worst case there, I just would have Uninstalled.

I just tried to get a Database Table installed on WP (for searchable lists of great books, etc), but the thing is totally worthless so far though the developer knows it and is working on fixes.  All these plugins are a bit of a crapshoot.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 03:14:22 AM »

That's one opinion.

I had an article open for working, and when I went back to it this morning, you had rearranged the furniture, and I couldn't find my keys... @^^@^$&@^@$*@!!!!
"...reprehensible lying communist..."