AuthorTopic: THE REDDIT PLUGGING THREAD  (Read 9408 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
r/globalcollapse crosses the 600 Subscriber Rubicon!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »

Yea, OK, 600 subscribers isn't a lot, but it is a 400% increase from the 150 or so we started with there a little over a year ago.  :icon_sunny:

Quality of the links has been extremely high, since I make about 99% of them. lol.  :icon_mrgreen:

We could do a lot better if more links were dropped on by other Diners and occassional comments were dropped on to start conversations.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE REDDIT PLUGGING THREAD
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
But it's so boring to deal with ignorant Reddit followers. I just can't make myself do it.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
But it's so boring to deal with ignorant Reddit followers. I just can't make myself do it.

They're not that bad.  EndTimesRanter, MakeTotalDestruction, XRAYMIKE, DeadRatReporter and a few others are good commenters and link submitters.  I get quite a few decent conversations over there periodically.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
I have gone Walkabout on r/collapse again.  ::)

I can't stand the moderation "policy", which is not a real policy at all since they let posts go up from favored members like Xray Mike who posts mainly on climate .

Xray Mike is VERY focused on climate, and it is turning r/collapse into a facsimile of NBL.

I am tired of it.  It is becoming a mirror of NBL.

A Great URL trashed by poor moderation. :(

RE
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:46:28 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 03:09:04 AM »
I have gone Walkabout r/collaose again.  ::)

I can't stand the moderation "policy", which is not a real policy at all since they let posts go up from favored memebers like Xray Mike who posts mainly on climate .

Xray Mike is VERY focused on climate, and it is turning r/collapse into a facsimile of NBL.

I am tired of it.  It is becoming a mirror of NBL.

A Great URL trashed by poor moderation. :(

RE

Why don't you walk about 6000 miles south of Palmer & take the silver dollar tour with me  :icon_sunny:
You need to go outside & play for awhile. Keep it up & you'll become yard art  :coffee:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 04:01:30 AM »
Why don't you walk about 6000 miles south of Palmer & take the silver dollar tour with me  :icon_sunny:
You need to go outside & play for awhile. Keep it up & you'll become yard art  :coffee:

Walking 6000 Miles on my legs would take about the next century if I could stay alive that long.

It's too cold today to go out and play.  Maybe in April I can do that.  Meanwhile, the mods on r/collapse can go fuck themselves.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:45 AM »

Walking 6000 Miles on my legs would take about the next century if I could stay alive that long.

It's too cold today to go out and play.  Maybe in April I can do that.  Meanwhile, the mods on r/collapse can go fuck themselves.  :icon_sunny:

RE

My whole point in saying sumpin'....
Nigel, drum roll please .............
(intervention time) "Your a CYBER JUNKIE RE" you need help !!!!!
Start a recovery based 12 step program for folks like yourselves.
There ----- I've said it  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 04:39:43 AM »

My whole point in saying sumpin'....
Nigel, drum roll please .............
(intervention time) "Your a CYBER JUNKIE RE" you need help !!!!!
Start a recovery based 12 step program for folks like yourselves.
There ----- I've said it  :icon_mrgreen:

It's a GOOD THING that I am a Cyber Junkie.

If I wasn't I would have nothing to occupy my time while I am still above ground.

Gimmee another hit...

RE
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:50:15 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 05:53:03 AM »
I wondered what had happened to Xray Mike. He doesn't seem to blog much anymore. Collapse fatigue.

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
Why can't everybody just get along? - because there are right-wingnuts, left-wingnuts, hate-mongers and trolls out there.  Rather than ban them altogether, they should be allowed to have a link to their website, so if you want to read their crap, you can, but don't do it here.

https://www.rt.com/viral/376130-reddit-bans-alt-right-groups/
‘Alt-right’ groups banned from Reddit in shock move
2 Feb, 2017

Reddit has banned three major ‘alt-right’ subreddits for breaching the company’s content policy as part of an overall strategy to stamp out extremism on the site initiated by former CEO Ellen Pao.

The so-called ‘Alt-right’ are largely known for their vehement anti-liberal stance, often favoring white supremacist views instead.

This new ban targets the /r/altright, /r/rightyfriends and /r/alternativeright subreddits on the site, although the company has only alluded to breaches in the company’s content policy as to why it shut them down, and has yet to make an official public statement on the ban.

Speculation is rife online, however, that the real reason for the shutdown centers around an incident involving controversial, alt-right figurehead Richard Spencer.

More specifically, following the attack on Spencer, a fund was set up on the controversial website wesearchr to identify Spencer’s assailant, with a bounty of $5,353 offered for information leading to his identification.

This practice, known as doxxing, relates to the the proliferation of personal and confidential information for malicious purposes. Many online commentators and journalists believe repeated discussion of and links to this particular attempt at doxxing is the main catalyst for the ban.

I think we need an #AltRightBan. Temporary, of course. Just until we tighten up the extreme vetting process. https://t.co/x8sx48uc5E
    — Steve Horton📎 (@tropicalsteve) January 30, 2017

“Reddit is the proud home to some of the most authentic conversations online. We strive to be a welcoming, open platform for all by trusting our users to maintain an environment that cultivates genuine conversation and adheres to our content policy,” the company said in a statement.

After the events in #quebec we need to ban right wing white men until we can figure out what is going on. #extremevetting#altrightban
    — Peter Whinn (@petergene) January 30, 2017

“We knew this day was coming, so it comes as no surprise... But the admins are playing a losing game of whack-a-mole here,” user /u/MortalSisyphus, a former /r/altright moderator of the subreddit, said in a statement. “The more the established political institutions try to maintain the status quo and marginalize us, the more they will drive free-thinking, independent lovers of truth to our side.”

A former senior moderator of the altright subreddit, who identified himself as Bill Simpson, told The Daily Beast, however, that he believed moderators on the site had been overly strict.

“So much for leftist tolerance,” Simpson said. “Our moderator team enforced stricter standards of behavior than reddit requires, and our users were very prompt at reporting violations so we could ban violators and delete posts and comments that broke the rules.”

While Reddit has long been known as a champion of freedom of speech, there has seemingly  been a recent dramatic shift in policy. During the US presidential campaign, Reddit’s CEO Steve Huffman even admitted to directly editing posts directly attacking or referencing him in the dedicated Donald Trump subreddit, /r/The_Donald.

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
Why can't everybody just get along? - because there are right-wingnuts, left-wingnuts, hate-mongers and trolls out there.  Rather than ban them altogether, they should be allowed to have a link to their website, so if you want to read their crap, you can, but don't do it here.

Well, the thing is that most people who set up Reddit subs don't HAVE websites.  The Reddit sub IS their website.  It comes free, it doesn't take a lot of technical expertiese to set up, and it's a really good platform for dropping on links.  Piss poor for discussion, but very good for Newz Aggregation.

If the Mods who set up a site are a bunch of Nazis, then the site becomes a Strange Attractor for every Nazi Wingnut surfing the net, and there are many of them.  Just surf the commentariat of Zero Hedge or TBP for a small sample.

What the Top Reddit team did was try to set up a bunch of rules so they have excuse to Ban entire Subs.  However, such rules are always applied capriciously, depending on the viewpoint of the Mods in control of the switches.  The Alt-Right folks are unhappy because like most Silicon Valley Tech people, they are more left than right, although not really left of course, just less right.

It's the same old Moderation problem we have here on the Diner, just on a larger scale.  As I repeatedly said to Moriarty, just set up your own fucking blog and GTFO my Platform!  LOL.  These folks banned from Reddit should go set up their own platform.  But of course they generally do not have the technical experties to do it, nor in the near future would they see anywhere near the traffic they get on Reddit.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
There's any number of ways of having a free website, WordPress being the most common.

https://altright.wordpress.com/
altright.wordpress.com is no longer available.

This site has been archived or suspended for a violation of our Terms of Service.
For more information and to contact us please read this support document.
=====

Ah, here you go:

http://www.altright.com/
America's Wise WASPy Dad
Neil Gorsuch is the first Anglo-Saxon Protestant to be nominated to the Supreme Court in my lifetime.1 As with so much with Trump, symbolism is more important . . . more powerful . . . more triggering . . . perhaps more lasting . . . than his actual policies. ...
Feb 2, 2017

Violence, Censorship, and r/AltRight

It has been a banner day for the Alt-Right. In between the mob violence at the MILO event at UC Berkeley and the censorship of r/AltRight at Reddit, we’re being repressed:
Feb 2, 2017

Because Hitler. . .
This week, the activist Jewish community in the United States forcefully reminded the world that, no matter how much we might moralize the Holocaust, no matter how much we might glean from it lessons about man’s fallen state or dehumanization in the modern world, the Holocaust is all about the Jews. It is all about their meta-narrative of suffering, and it shall undergird their peculiar position in American society, and theirs alone.
Jan 29, 2017
====

So they had a website already, and were breaking ToS at Reddit and WordPress just to get more views.  The bastards.   ::)
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 08:13:09 PM »
So they had a website already, and were breaking ToS at Reddit and WordPress just to get more views.  The bastards.   ::)

LOL.  I stay under the Radar over there, so far anyhow.  Also, our r/globalcollapse Sub is not really a "political" sub, it's a collapse sub.  Collapse may attract some wingnuts, but not usually real dangerous ones.  Politically motivated sites get the real nutjobs, most of the time.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
I have the same problems with Reddit that I have with Facebook. Self-reinforcing feedback loops that attract like-minded idiots who loiter in groups, waiting for some victim to come along they can mug them in virtual reality.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
There's any number of ways of having a free website, WordPress being the most common.

https://altright.wordpress.com/
altright.wordpress.com is no longer available.

This site has been archived or suspended for a violation of our Terms of Service.
For more information and to contact us please read this support document.
=====

Ah, here you go:

http://www.altright.com/
America's Wise WASPy Dad
Neil Gorsuch is the first Anglo-Saxon Protestant to be nominated to the Supreme Court in my lifetime.1 As with so much with Trump, symbolism is more important . . . more powerful . . . more triggering . . . perhaps more lasting . . . than his actual policies. ...
Feb 2, 2017

Violence, Censorship, and r/AltRight

It has been a banner day for the Alt-Right. In between the mob violence at the MILO event at UC Berkeley and the censorship of r/AltRight at Reddit, we’re being repressed:
Feb 2, 2017

Because Hitler. . .
This week, the activist Jewish community in the United States forcefully reminded the world that, no matter how much we might moralize the Holocaust, no matter how much we might glean from it lessons about man’s fallen state or dehumanization in the modern world, the Holocaust is all about the Jews. It is all about their meta-narrative of suffering, and it shall undergird their peculiar position in American society, and theirs alone.
Jan 29, 2017
====

I had never checked that one out. (Until now, that is.) I do read Brandon Smith, not that I agree with him on anything. From what I can gather about the alt.right movement, there are several things about those people that I find seriously disturbing.

They think Fox News is some kind of bastion of truth.

They embrace Christian Conservatism (which in my view is neither legitimately Christian nor legitimately conservative), the mainstays of which are being anti-abortion and pro-school prayer, and in favor of less separation of church and state. Get sex ed out of the schools and bring in intelligent design to replace science.

Go around armed in public to prove they have a right to carry weapons (while scaring people who apparently don't have the right to walk in public without the threat of violence.)

They seem to be anti-globalist, and anti-Deep State, but they seem to be pro-Israel. I can't seem to quite figure that out. Am I missing something?