AuthorTopic: Occupy Monsanto: Official GMO Foods MUST DIE Thread  (Read 38590 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Occupy Monsanto
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
Lots of good topics right there LD!  There is also the Suicides of all the Indian Farmers unable to make a living anymore, the vulnerability of cloned organisms to disease blights, the economic control of a population dependent on large food corporations...endless really.
Oh yeah... or how Roundup doesn't actually kill weeds?  If you grow weeds in a sterilized soil and apply Roundup, it does stunt the weed some, but doesn't kill it, but the same kind of weed grown under the same conditions except in normal soil with the same application of Roundup is killed.  In other words, Roundup is actually making the plant more vulnerable to plant pathogens in the soil.  The danger with that is that that can give the pathogens a chance to multiply and grow stronger and start affecting everything planted in the soil.

Oh yeah, and in case you don't know the connection, Roundup is Monsanto's star weedkiller, and Roundup-resistant crops are a majority of GMO products.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
Lots of good topics right there LD!  There is also the Suicides of all the Indian Farmers unable to make a living anymore, the vulnerability of cloned organisms to disease blights, the economic control of a population dependent on large food corporations...endless really.
Oh yeah... or how Roundup doesn't actually kill weeds?  If you grow weeds in a sterilized soil and apply Roundup, it does stunt the weed some, but doesn't kill it, but the same kind of weed grown under the same conditions except in normal soil with the same application of Roundup is killed.  In other words, Roundup is actually making the plant more vulnerable to plant pathogens in the soil.  The danger with that is that that can give the pathogens a chance to multiply and grow stronger and start affecting everything planted in the soil.

Oh yeah, and in case you don't know the connection, Roundup is Monsanto's star weedkiller, and Roundup-resistant crops are a majority of GMO products.

Thanks for volunteering to write the Round Up Article, JD.  :icon_mrgreen:

I am penciling in LD for Saturday, Surly for Sunday and you for Monday.

Please try to have your article ready 2 days before scheduled publication.  :icon_sunny:

Still need "Volunteers" for Tues-Sat of next week.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Slave Driver.  LOL.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
Thanks for volunteering to write the Round Up Article, JD.  :icon_mrgreen:

I am penciling in LD for Saturday, Surly for Sunday and you for Monday.
Please try to have your article ready 2 days before scheduled publication.  :icon_sunny:

Still need "Volunteers" for Tues-Sat of next week.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Slave Driver.  LOL.
That's all I've got off the top of my head, but I'm sure I can get more with research.
What's the target word count?  Any other instructions?
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
That's all I've got off the top of my head, but I'm sure I can get more with research.
What's the target word count?  Any other instructions?

It doesn't have to be RE Length.  :icon_mrgreen:

Kunstler's articles run around 750 words, that would be fine.  Fewer even if you do a Photo Essay or find good Vids to Embed.  Or you might take your vid camera to the local Gardening Superstore and do a Cart-Cam  I Spy Doom episode.  LOL.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Occupy Monsanto Diner Blog-a-thon
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:31 AM »
Beginning Friday, I would like the Diner Native Bloggers to write articles reflecting their perspectives on MONSANTO, GMO Foods and Food Security issues. Our last Blog-a-thon was for Turtle Island and Eustace Conway, this one I hope to be even bigger and better than that one.

I produced a Kickoff Coming Attractions I Spy Doom episode today which I will publish on Friday to Kick Off this Blog-a-thon.  I am hoping to have at least one MONSANTO related Blog each day from Friday until a Culminating Diner Round Table Vidcast on Sunday together with some of our Cross Posting Blogger friends.

This I Spy Doom video features my latest new Technical Innovation, SUV-CAM!  :icon_mrgreen:

I am particularly hopeful for Monsanto related articles from Surly, WHD, LD, GM, Agelbert, Roamer, Monsta, Haniel and perhaps a Newzy Joe Compilation of Storiez from around the Web related to Monsanto.  If everyone contributes 1 article on this topic, we can cover the week from Sat to Sat after my Kickoff I Spy Doom video teaser, to lead into the Premier Vidcast on the Diner on Sunday Sept 8th.

Get writing Diner Bloggers!  Submit in PM to me or Draft it on WP if you know how to do that.  Or submit as a Word Doc via email.

I'm in.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Monsanto Diner Blog-a-thon
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 04:05:52 AM »
Beginning Friday, I would like the Diner Native Bloggers to write articles reflecting their perspectives on MONSANTO, GMO Foods and Food Security issues. Our last Blog-a-thon was for Turtle Island and Eustace Conway, this one I hope to be even bigger and better than that one.

I produced a Kickoff Coming Attractions I Spy Doom episode today which I will publish on Friday to Kick Off this Blog-a-thon.  I am hoping to have at least one MONSANTO related Blog each day from Friday until a Culminating Diner Round Table Vidcast on Sunday together with some of our Cross Posting Blogger friends.

This I Spy Doom video features my latest new Technical Innovation, SUV-CAM!  :icon_mrgreen:

I am particularly hopeful for Monsanto related articles from Surly, WHD, LD, GM, Agelbert, Roamer, Monsta, Haniel and perhaps a Newzy Joe Compilation of Storiez from around the Web related to Monsanto.  If everyone contributes 1 article on this topic, we can cover the week from Sat to Sat after my Kickoff I Spy Doom video teaser, to lead into the Premier Vidcast on the Diner on Sunday Sept 8th.

Get writing Diner Bloggers!  Submit in PM to me or Draft it on WP if you know how to do that.  Or submit as a Word Doc via email.

I'm in.

That's Good, since I already have you Penciled In for the Sunday Article.  :icon_mrgreen:

I also Published the Coming Attractitions I Spy Doom episode early as part of the Nicole Podcast intro article.

We will be doing another Test Vidcast tomorrow.  See if you can find a way to attend.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Occupy Monsanto Blog-a-thon: Part 1
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11:26 AM »

Off the keyboard of Lucid Dreams

Published on Epiphany Now on August 28, 2013

ninja fox

Discuss this article at the Environment Table inside the Diner

When RE, head admin and creator of the Doomstead Diner, asked me to write an article about the evils of Monsanto I was a bit confused by the request at first. “Aren’t we just preachin’ to the choir” I wanted to know. What am I going to write about that most people don’t already know? Most of what I know is from documentary films such as Food Inc., a Michael Pollan book or two (as well as many other books), the occasional internet article, as well as the annual report generated straight from Hell. Haven’t heard of that report? It’s called the Earth Rape Newspeak Players Ball Report and it’s discussed at the annual Newspeak Players Ball. This is the real purpose of the Bilderberger meeting every year. It’s where the awards are handed out by Satan himself. Monsanto has won four out of the last 10 awards with Satan praising their use of the word sustainability. He took the time to point out (at last years Earth Rape) how wonderfully crafted and full of diverse and pure Newspeak Monsanto’s “AboutUs” section of their website is:

At the heart of Monsanto is a very clear and principled code of conduct – one we expect all employees, contractors and management to live by every day. We operate under a genuine value system—our pledge—that demonstrates integrity, respect, ethical behavior, perspective and honesty as a foundation for everything we do.

A key part of fulfilling the promise of our value system is by engaging our communities in a significant and positive manner. Not only do we work hard to support the family farmer in a variety of ways, but we also:

• provide extensive educational programs – particularly in science and agriculture – for students around the world

• fund numerous research grants for graduate students

• work in partnership with government bodies, non-profit agencies and advocacy groups to make agriculture more sustainable”

While I’m at it, here’s a video from Monsanto’s website that might make you throw up a few times.

This type of write up makes me very angry. Newspeak makes me angry in general. But this is particularly pernicious Newspeak. Monsanto making agriculture more sustainable? Is that why 16,196 Indian farmers killed themselves in 2008, with over 15,000 suicides a year from 2002 to 2008 according to Wiki. These deaths are mainly due to Monsanto’s BT cotton, but more to the point it’s due to Monsanto’s “sustainable” agriculture methods. Now, I study and practice permaculture methods, which are actually sustainable agriculture methods. Monsanto practices chemical mediated, genetically modified, monoculture. Sustainability with plants depends mostly on diversity. That’s why in nature you don’t see monocultures. You see thousands of different species of plants growing in a true melting pot of diversity.

Monsanto’s agriculture is the opposite of sustainable. They move into a country and get the farmers (whom practice sustainable agriculture passed on through generations) to plant their GM seeds which will not grow without Monsanto’s application of poisonous chemicals. So now the farmer is beholden to Monsanto to get their crops to grow. To add insult to injury the seeds are what are known as “terminator seeds” because subsequent generations of the plant are sterile and will not produce the next years crop. So the farmer must buy more seeds from Monsanto. By this time Monsanto has complete control of the farmer (and their land) since the farmer cannot afford to continue the charade without a hefty loan from the bank, which they will never be able to repay since they will never see a profit. No worries, cause Monsanto doesn’t give two shits about the farmers and their human needs. They’ve got huge machines that run by satellite programming to do the job of the farmer. This is the real reason why there has been an epidemic of Indian farmers committing suicide over the last ten years. So I guess if farmers killing themselves, genetically modified terminator seeds, and numerous application of deadly poisons is sustainable than Monsanto has nailed it. So this is the “variety of ways” that Monsanto “supports the family farmer”? By making them debt slaves whom find it practical to hang themselves?

There are many evils associated with what Monsanto is doing, but to my estimation, the most evil thing they have attempted to do is to patent life itself. Percy Schmeiser, of Saskatchewan Canada, can tell you all about that. His story is pretty well known, but in 1998 Monsanto sued him for growing their patented GM canola seed. Now, he didn’t grow their seeds, their seeds contaminated his 50 years of work cultivating an heirloom canola variety. That happened because nature has this amazing capacity to pollinate with pollinators. His fields got contaminated with Monsanto’s bull shit and then Monsanto sued Schmeiser for growing their crop without permission (luckily they did not succeed). I guess maybe next Monsanto will try to take the birds and the Bees to court for cross pollinating their patented genetic modifications?  What’s with the birds and bees anyways? Don’t they know there is law to follow?  Damn nature and it’s anarchic form of resilient life.

As far as genetically modifying natures design goes, this is what Monsanto has to say about that completely risk free practice:

There is no need to test the safety of DNA introduced into GM crops. DNA (and resulting RNA) is present in almost all foods. DNA is non-toxic and the presence of DNA, in and of itself, presents no hazard.

Indeed, no need to test the effects of splicing non-plant DNA into plants such as the “fish tomato” with it’s winter flounder anitfreeze transgene spliced into it for better frost protection. Granted, this fish tomato was not brought to us by Monsanto, but their logic applies here, and they were the first company to apply genetic modification to food crops. There is no need to test whether or not this is a safe practice because “DNA is present in almost all foods” and DNA is “non-toxic.” Right, so sign me up for a “fish tomato” sandwich with round up ready corn on the cob. While I’m at it, why not some genetically modified soy formula for my 3 month old with a BT Cotton onesie. Might as well get him ready for his diet of mostly poisonous food so that he can get a head start on being sick for the rest of his life. But hey, at least he won’t be hungry while he’s dying from cancer.

The last thing we need is more chemicals on planet Earth. Monsanto is in the business of making humanity even more dependent on chemicals. A quick google search for “pollution in the womb” uncovered this gem:

Umbilical cord blood from 10 babies was tested for 413 industrial chemicals and pollutants. The tests found an average of 200 of these chemicals in each newborn, and a total of 287 chemicals in the group. The umbilical cord blood of the 10 babies harboured pesticides, consumer product ingredients, and wastes from burning coal, gasoline and garbage. Some of the chemicals found in the cord blood are banned or severely restricted in the US.

Among the chemicals found were:

- eight perfluorochemicals used as stain and oil repellants in fast food packaging, clothes and textiles, including the Teflon chemical PFOA. PFOA was recently characterized as a likely human carcinogen.

- 21 organochloride pesticides.

- dozens of widely used brominated flame retardants (PBDEs) and their toxic by products, used in TVs, computers, foam and many other products. They are also found in some foods.

Of the 287 chemicals detected in the study, 180 are known to cause cancer in humans or animals, 217 are toxic to the brain and nervous system, and 208 cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests.

I wonder how many of those organochloride pesticides are brought to us by Monsanto and their ilk? So we’re going to Occupy Monsanto on September 17th. Everywhere. Not sure what my part will be short of writing this article. But maybe I’ll put a sign up on the busy roadside in front of my house that says something like “Monsanto pollutes our wombs.” Or “Monsanto causes cancer.” Anything to bring attention to the evil that is being perpetuated in the name of profit by this ridiculous company and the food production philosophy they labor to cultivate. We don’t need genetically modified foods in moncultures. It is not a sustainable practice. It is quite the opposite in fact. It causes more virulent and pesticide resistant pests for our food crops. It causes slaves to be made from simple farmers whom then kill themselves out of desperation. It causes humanity to ultimately be at the mercy of those who would seek to control all of our food for no other reason than profit via patents on plant DNA.

The question you have to ask yourself is do you want your food to be cheap, nutritionally deficient, and destructive to sustainable cultures throughout the world? Or do you want your food to be nutritious and produced using natural methods that mimic natures design while facilitating healthy human societies? We can do that as a species if we decide to. There is a lot stopping us from accomplishing the later goal, and Monsanto is behind a good bit of that reasoning. There is no reason why we can’t produce all of the food we need as a species in a way that is regenerative, healthy, and supportive of all life systems involved in the ecology of food production. It’s not a mystery. We know how to do it, and it does not require the use of man made chemicals that pollute the wombs of our unborn children, cause cancer, and convince simple farmers that killing themselves is a better option than remaining Monsanto slaves. We have the solutions. We can fix this mess. But we won’t if you don’t pull your head out of the sand and start paying attention to the evil’s being perpetuated by corporations whom care about nothing but profit. And at the expense of the health of our planet and all of the species on it. We don’t own the Earth, but we do share it with billions of other life forms, a healthy majority of which we are actively exterminating with the practices of our civilizations Big Agriculture headed up by the likes of Monsanto.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Occupy Monsanto: "What a piece of work is man!"
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »

From the keyboard of Surly1

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Originally published on the Doomstead Diner on August 12, 2013

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in

reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving

how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel!

in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the

world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is

this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no,

nor Woman neither; though by your smiling you seem

to say so . . .

~Shakespeare, Hamlet, (Act II, Scene ii, 285-300)

Monsanto-DuPont-Roundup-war

Discuss this article here in the Diner Forum.

The capacity for modern science to extend and improve life was brought home to me quite directly this past week. A childhood friend of 57 years standing was hospitalized last week with faintness and dizziness. My friend, aFor him professor of mathematics, is a former martial artist and has always been whippet-thin, wiry, and fit. Yet he presented with symptoms that required a battery of tests.

Long story short,  he had surgery to have a pacemaker implanted. It seems commonplace to us now, but such a miracle! An opening into shoulder cavity, insertion of wires through an artery into the surfaces of the heart, and voilŕ! A regulated heartbeat, with energy and color restored, and all right with the world.

Such advances in technology mean that through surgical and other means we can extend and save lives. A congenital heart condition and resulting arrhythmia are adjusted through the implantation of a small device– a moral and welcome use of technology. But what about immoral, and unjust uses? It seems apparent that our technological capacity has completely outstripped our moral dimension.

Here’s one small example. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are, on their website, quite proud to claim 10 great public-health achievements in the 20th century that have added 25 years to the average life expectancy of people in the United States. Among these are:

• immunizations

• motor vehicle safety

• workplace safety

• control of infectious diseases

• declines in deaths from heart disease and stroke

• safer and healthier foods, healthier mothers and babies

• family planning

• fluoridation of drinking water

• tobacco is a health hazard

• future directions of public health.

Now I would argue the single greatest improvement to public health has been public sanitation. There are both aesthetic as well as public health virtues in getting shit out of the streets.

Beyond that, some quibbles. Without doubt  vaccinations have all but eradicated smallpox and polio from the United States. Yet other inoculations, such as Gardasil, are problematic. What “motor vehicle safety” and  ”workplace safety” are doing on this list I have no idea, except that CFC staff needed to pad out the list to get to ten. The “family planning” item is laughable in terms of our current politics, as right wing politicians have both demonized birth control and made women’s health clinics virtually unable to operate. A sizable contingent thinks that flouridated water is a communist plot. But of the ironies on this list, none is more poignant than the one that lists “safer and healthier foods.”

The CDC list  and accompanying article completely ignores the phenomenon of genetically modified food.  Those of us who actually consume foods in the real economy cannot afford to adopt  the CDC’s  position.

GMO foods are plants and bacteria which have had specific changes introduced to their DNA using genetic engineering techniques. Such organisms are designed to be treated with toxic herbicides and pesticides, chemicals which have been suspected to increase allergies and have been linked to decreased fertility, asthma, organ failure even cancer.

To briefly review the bidding on the dangers posed by genetically modified foods, we offer the following:  Animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food. The GM process creates massive collateral damage in the plant, with side effects that are often unpredictable. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has even asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.

Most of us are aware that the FDA, like many agencies entrusted with the public welfare now held captive by corporate interests, decided to allow GMOs to be sold without labeling. State-level attempts to require labeling of GMO food have been met with intense lobbying and millions of dollars pitched in opposition.

Why the drama?

Consider this handful of research findings:

• Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants

• Mice eating GM corn for the long term had fewer, and smaller, babies

• More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks, and were smaller

• Testicle cells of mice and rats on a GM soy change significantly

• By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies

• Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity

• Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen

• Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK, soon after GM soy was introduced

• The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.

• Studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels, etc.

Problems posed by genetically modified food are magnified by the fact that unlike drugs, there are no human clinical trials for GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that genetic material transferred into GM soy stays inside our intestines and continues to function long after we quit consuming them. The food may be gone, but the altered proteins remain doing their work.

Thus we fail to study one possible vector of danger to public health that could conceivably create super diseases resistant to antibiotics, or, alternatively, turn our intestinal bacteria into living pesticide factories. Hopefully this will put the “good work” of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (and the captive FDA) in context.

Citizens are starting to get the word out and educating other citizens about the dangers of GMO foods.  As the Occupy movement  was suborned and destroyed by sweeps of militarized police under direction from DHS, the tents disappeared, yet the anger and disgust at our nonresponsive politicians has remained,  and has been transformed into specific, single-purpose movements.

One of these is  Occupy Monsanto, which has emerged to stage numerous protests at companies connected to the global trade of GMOs. Occupy Monsanto  is calling for a day of action on September 17 of this year.  Basic themes  include the idea that Monsanto’s push to control agriculture poses a threat only to consumers in this country, but also throughout Latin America Africa and Asia. Also, if GMO foods are perfectly safe, why not allow them to be labeled and compete in the market?

“There is something wrong when a chemical manufacturer, the same company who made Agent Orange, controls the US food supply.”  ~activist Jaye Crawford.

IMG_1245

IMG_1244

Local groups in southeastern Virginia staged an anti-GMO rally in May of this year. We handed out leaflets, engaged passersby in conversation, and otherwise did our best to create awareness. Much like our government, the last thing Monsanto wants is people talking to people creating awareness and providing education about the real issues posed by GMOs. To that end, Monsanto has mounted its own public relations counteroffensive:

Plant Biotechnology Companies Launch “GMO Answers”

7/29/2013

The following release was issued by the Council for Biotechnology Information (CBI). Monsanto is a member of CBI.

Washington, DC (July 29, 2013) – The agricultural biotechnology companies that develop genetically modified seeds — or GMOs — are coming together to launch a broad, new initiative to provide accurate information and answer the toughest questions about GMOs and how our food is grown. GMO Answers (www.GMOAnswers.com) is a new conversation, public Q&A, and central online resource for information on GMOs, their background, use in agriculture, and research and data in one easy-to-access public resource for the first time.

“GMOs are a growing topic of discussion today, with a wide range of questions and emotions,” Cathleen Enright, Ph.D., spokesperson for GMO Answers, said. “Food is personal, so we want to open the door for personal discussions. We recognize we haven’t done the best job communicating about GMOs—what they are, how they are developed, food safety information—the science, data and processes. We want people to join us and ask their tough questions. Be skeptical. Evaluate the information and decide for yourself. We look forward to an open conversation.”

<snip>

GMO Answers is produced by the members of The Council for Biotechnology Information, which includes BASF, Bayer CropScience, Dow AgroSciences LLC, DuPont, Monsanto Company and Syngenta. Together, their commitment to openness and access to information is outlined in the GMO Answers five core principles:

• Respecting people around the world and their right to choose healthy food products that are best for themselves and their families

• Welcoming and answering questions on all GMO topics

• Making GMO information, research and data easy to access and evaluate and supporting safety testing of GM products, including allowing independent safety testing of our products by validated science-based methods

• Supporting farmers as they work to grow crops using precious resources more efficiently, with less impact on the environment and producing safe, nutritious food and feed products

• Respecting farmers’ rights to choose the seeds that are best for their farms, businesses and communities and providing seed choices that include non-GM seeds based on market demands.

The statement of Dr. Enright notwithstanding, if Monsanto “wants people to join and ask tough questions,” and “looks forward to an open conversation,” then I am the rightful King of France.

IMG_1248

IMG_1263

You want the truth? Follow the money. Open labeling of GM foods would permit an “open conversation,” but that is the last thing that the members of the Council for Biotechnology Information want. What they want is for you is to put your head down, eat, work, consume, and die. The last thing they want you to do is to talk to one another, to educate yourself and others on the real-life dangers of the poisons that have already entered our food supply, and the failure our so-called government regulatory agencies to do any actual regulating.

IMG_1257

Find a local action group, get the word out, and resist, resist, resist. And plant your own food before it becomes a crime to do so, and the moving thugscrum that used to be local law enforcement comes to make you tear it out.

As David Cobb of Move to Amend recently said in an interview, “There is no doubt that this government is afraid of its people.”  So too are the agribusiness giants who have gathered together to control the food supply of the American people in the name of profit.

As we collectively chase the daily profit motive, and busy ourselves in continued worship of Mammon, our actions stand revealed as far different from those of “the Angels.” Neither noble in reason, nor infinite in faculty, certainly not admirable. And as to “apprehension like a God?” We would settle for the apprehension of a single conscious human being with a decent regard for the welfare of his fellow man.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
  • "Dream your happiest dream vividly awake."
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
Seed Smugglin': Occupy Monsanto
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Monsanto: "What a piece of work is man"
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
Surly, so far I haven't had any luck contacting Occupy Monsanto people via emails I dug up.

Maybe you could try contacting them through Facepalm?

https://www.facebook.com/occupymonsanto

I'd like them to at least be aware of our Blogathon and hopefully get somebody over for a Podcast or Vidcast.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 03:09:33 AM »
Surly, so far I haven't had any luck contacting Occupy Monsanto people via emails I dug up.

I'd like them to at least be aware of our Blogathon and hopefully get somebody over for a Podcast or Vidcast.

RE

No contact info available except for this
http://occupymonsanto360.org/blog
which doesn't load this morning. Will keep trying.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:35 AM »

RE

No contact info available except for this
http://occupymonsanto360.org/blog
which doesn't load this morning. Will keep trying.

I found another one GCU@Occupy-Monsanto.com.  Sent another invite there.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Occupy Monsanto: Roundup
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »

Off the keyboard of JD Wheeler

Published on the Doomstead Diner on September 3, 2013

occupy-monsanto-tuesday-september17

Discuss this article at the Environment Table inside the Diner

An eager young man strides in to the movie producer’s office.  He offers the man behind the desk a stack of pages stapled together.  The executive waves it off and says, “I’m a busy man. You have two minutes.  What’s your story?”

“An evil genius invents this spray that weakens the immune system, allowing germs to flourish, while helpful bacteria die.  Even after the victim’s death, the killing agent is released and can be retransmitted.  The spray can last in the soil for months, even years.  Genetic modification is developed to resist the effects of this spray.”

“So, it basically sounds like you want to make another zombie horror film…”

“No, it’s a documentary.”

———-

The above exchange is fictional — but it doesn’t need to be.  Such a spray already exists, except its primary (intended) victims are plants.  The generic name is glyphosate, but it is much more commonly known under Monsanto’s brand name, Roundup.

Roundup is a very broad spectrum herbicide.  It kills all kinds of plants.  The Scotts company, who sells Roundup to consumers, specifically warns people not to use it in their lawns unless they want to kill the grass.  Part of the reason for that warning is there are a number of narrower spectrum herbicides which don’t affect grasses but kill other “broad-leaved” weeds.

Roundup is actually a mixture of chemicals, glyphosate is only the active ingredient.  The way glyphosate works is it disables an enzyme found only in plants.  That enzyme is essentially part of the plant’s immune system.  Without it, the plant is unable to fight off disease organisms.  So it’s almost like giving the plants AIDS.  Not quite, because at least the glyphosate doesn’t reproduce, but neither is it necessarily used up when it kills the plant.  As the plant tissue breaks down, the glyphosate can be released again to kill again, continuing the cycle until the something does eventually break it down, or more likely, it gets bound to something that doesn’t break down.  Under ideal conditions, that can be in as little as a few days, which is what Monsanto likes to quote, but in heavy clay soils with little organic matter, it can persist for months.

This picture is a good demonstration of the action of Roundup.  The two plants on the left have been treated with Roundup.  The middle one was grown in normal soil, the leftmost one was grown in sterile soil.  The one on the right is the control, it is there to show you what the plants would look like without Roundup, or, if certain fungicides are applied, Roundup also has no effect.

This is where things really start to get scary.  One kind of disease organism that flourishes when you apply Roundup is Fusarium fungi.  Monsanto advertises that glyphosate is safe for animals and humans, because only plants have the enzyme that glyphosate targets.  I’m sure that last part is true.  One of many things Monsanto hasn’t taken into account are the toxins that the various Fusarium species produce.  Those definitely can be toxic to plants and animals.

Much of the GMO crops being produced are so-called “Roundup-Ready”.  These are meant to withstand the effects of the glyphosate.  While the plants do not die, that does not mean they are not being infected by things like Fusarium, however.

Of course, Monsanto isn’t the only one who can develop resistance to Roundup.  Weeds are doing it on their own, not only to the glyphosate, but to the disease organisms.  In the end we are breeding weeds that are healthier and more resilient than the crop plants.

Let’s say that you decide you’re going to grow things naturally.  No way you are going to use Roundup on your veggies.  You’re not even going to use chemical fertilizers, just chicken manure and compost.  Not so fast.  What did those chickens eat?  GMO corn?  Then there’s a really good chance there is Roundup in their manure.  Where did that compost come from?  Was it from Roundup-ready crop residue?  You could be killing your plants instead of fertilizing them.

Luckily there is a fairly simple test.  Watercress is extremely sensitive to any kind of herbicide.  If you mix some of the compost or chicken manure in some water and use it on some watercress, if it does not kill off the watercress then it is probably safe.

Another problem with glyphosate is that is binds itself to other minerals.  This can cause deficiency diseases in plants, animals, and people, and it also means that the supposedly deactivated glyphosate in the soil can be reactivated by application of a high phosphate fertilizer.  Talk about zombie plant killers!

And as I said in the beginning, glyphosate is merely the active ingredient in Roundup.  Inactive ingredients, such as POEA, are sufficiently toxic that drinking as little as half a cup of Roundup could lead to coma or death.

Back to plants, something that has been showing up in fields treated in previous years with Roundup is Sudden Death Syndrome.

The same kind of plants would be fine in one row and dying in the next, because the soil beneath the latter was treated with Roundup.

Monsanto has a lot to answer for, but much of the damage it has done has been because of their best-selling herbicide Roundup.  In the end it has the potential to kill a lot more than just weeds.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Monsanto: Roundup
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
Great article JD. I hate to admit I used to use that stuff on my yard. Not for a long time, though.
Can you elaborate about how to use the watercress. Where do you get live watercress? Can I grow it?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Occupy Monsanto: Roundup
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »
Great article JD. I hate to admit I used to use that stuff on my yard. Not for a long time, though.
Can you elaborate about how to use the watercress. Where do you get live watercress? Can I grow it?
Watercress is fairly hard to come by as a plant, but any seed company that has a decent selection of herb seeds should have it available.  It's not too hard to grow, EXCEPT for the fact that it is so very sensitive to herbicides, and it needs fresh water.  My suggestion is to start the seeds in fresh vermiculite, that should not have any contaminants.  If you have an air conditioner that is constantly dripping water, that is an excellent place to put it.