AuthorTopic: Thinking About Starting an Intentional Community  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking About Starting an Intentional Community
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
We have been thinking a lot lately on selling and rebuilding near some like minded people.  The vulnerabilities have become apparent especially now that kids are part of the mix.  Bigest weakness is trying to cover every base which is expensive and time consuming. We've learned a lot from this incarnation though.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 05:50:28 AM »
We have been thinking a lot lately on selling and rebuilding near some like minded people.  The vulnerabilities have become apparent especially now that kids are part of the mix.  Bigest weakness is trying to cover every base which is expensive and time consuming. We've learned a lot from this incarnation though.

Issue there is on selling out, first off you have to find a bigger fool who will buy the Doomstead you set up, with all the time and work you put into it.  Then you need to find those "like minded people" to buiild near, and where do you find those?  They're not in the phone book or really even listed on the internet, although there are lists of "Transition Towns" around out there.  You have no clue really if they match with you philosophically though, and in reality almost all successful communities have some kind of religious component to them.  If you are a Fundy Christian, you can probably find a Fundy Christian Survival Group to join with.  If you are a Buddhist, you can find a Monastery to go be a Monk at, but if married with kids, this is kind of out of the question.

Then you also got the problem if you still have one foot in the door of the industrial economy.  If you find the "ideal community", but it is in Timbuktu whie your current job is in Peoria, it's quite hard to transition over to there.

I have solutions to these problems, but Eddie never listens to them.  lol.

RE
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:01:46 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 08:26:27 AM »
Look into ecovillages.  The real ones don't require you to drive from your rural community into a city twenty or forty miles away.  In fact, they don't involve personal car ownership at all.  The community may own a few cars, collectively, however -- though they may run on used french fry oil.

A real ecovillage has a mostly local economy, with food and shelter... and most things being produced within the village economy. None of them are perfect, but some are close enough.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
If I was single and without resources I would look into intentional communities.  At this stage I think we would rebuild closer to a hub of like minded people in their own homes and land.  We built fairly conventionally with an eye on someday selling if desired.  Staying put would work to if re is right and I can't find a buyer. 
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.