AuthorTopic: Awake  (Read 829 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Awake
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »
This is the title to the new movie about the life and times of Paramahansa Yogananda. I have tickets to see it tonight, which might be the only screening here.

Yogananda was, to me, one of the most interesting people of the twentieth century. His book, Autobiography of a Yogi has been responsible for introducing more Americans to Indian concepts of spirituality than any other source, I'm pretty sure.

Less well known are his other works, several of which were aimed at getting us Westerners to see the ministry of Jesus through a different lens than the one we were given in our various Christian churches.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GyLkg3uDe1c&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GyLkg3uDe1c&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:00:01 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Awake
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
Is this screened by SRF  ?  They are living in the past.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
This is the title to the new movie about the life and times of Paramahansa Yogananda. I have tickets to see it tonight, which might be the only screening here.

Yogananda was, to me, one of the most interesting people of the twentieth century. His book, Autobiography of a Yogi has been responsible for more introducing more Americans to Indian concepts of spirituality than any other source, I'm pretty sure.

Less well known are his other works, several of which were aimed at getting us Westerners to see the ministry of Jesus through a different lens than the one we were given in our various Christian churches.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GyLkg3uDe1c&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GyLkg3uDe1c&fs=1</a>

So Ed, are his methods inner based contemplation for spiritual enlightenment ?
Looks like a great time. Have fun !
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »

Yogananda was, to me, one of the most interesting people of the twentieth century. His book, Autobiography of a Yogi has been responsible for more introducing more Americans to Indian concepts of spirituality than any other source, I'm pretty sure.

So Ed, are his methods inner based contemplation for spiritual enlightenment ?
Looks like a great time. Have fun !
he was a fully realised master like jesus. But instead of dying for our sins or at least dying by natural or unnatural causes,  he left his body of his own volition elijah style.  The only meditation retreat i ever attended was in
2006 i think, run by srf  vegetarian and silent Of course. The lessons left by yogananda are excellent. Short reads too,  get them u will like em.  But the praying and singing praises to him  occasionally opining that "master is here!!!" is a waste of time imo.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:22:56 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
I read the Autobiography several years ago now, and it really moved me. I've read just a few bits of his other many writings. I don't think he had any desire to be worshiped. Just wanted to show the way.

Great movie, btw with a lot of great film of Yogananda, and wonderful archival film footage of George Harrison, Ravi Shankar and many others talking about him.

Steve Jobs had copies of Autobiography of a Yogi handed out at his funeral service.

I knew Yogananda founded schools in India, which he thought early on would be his great life's work. But I never knew they were known as "How to Live Schools", combining academics with yoga and other life skills. That's what's needed now, more than ever. Schools fail to teach kids how to live.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:01 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into his works.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »
Is this screened by SRF  ?  They are living in the past.

I don't think so. It wasn't sponsored by SRF (Yogananda's organization, Self-Realization Fellowship).

They must have sanctioned it, however. Several SRF leadership types were interviewed, as well as various celebrity devotees.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »
are his methods inner based contemplation for spiritual enlightenment

Short answer,yes.

He taught what he referred to as Kriya Yoga, of which sitting meditation is the primary technique.

Yogananda attributed his description of Kriya Yoga to his lineage of gurus, deriving it via Sri Yukteswar Giri and his master Lahiri Mahasaya, from Mahavatar Babaji (fl. 1860s). The latter is reported to have introduced the concept as essentially identical to the Raja Yoga of Patanjali and the concept of Yoga as described in the Bhagavad Gita.[5] (wiki)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:51:11 AM by Eddie »