PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Green Future Military (Probable Solution To Energy Problem}

AuthorTopic: Green Future Military (Probable Solution To Energy Problem}  (Read 1698 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

Just a preview, full link below. They are waking up and will succeed IMHO.   :icon_study:

At a naval base on the Indian Ocean atoll of Diego Garcia, scientists from the U.S. military are developing a system to create energy from hot and cold seawater. Called Otec, the system uses the hot and cold water to alternatively heat up and cool a refrigerant-like ammonia which boils at room temperature and which is used to power a turbine.

The research, however, is only a small part of the military’s green tech agenda. The U.S. military, from its top brass to its frontline troops, have embraced renewables in a way that would have been unimaginable a decade ago.

The military has declared it will get half of its power from clean energy sources by 2020 and Ray Mabus, the Navy secretary, has set a date of 2016 for the launch of the “Great Green Fleet” — a carrier strike group that will use fuels that are all a blend of biofuels and conventional fuels. The Marines have already begun using solar power packs at forward bases in Afghanistan and last year the Navy spent $12 million for 450,000 gallons of biofuel, the largest purchase of biofuel ever in the U.S.

http://www.earthtechling.com/2012/06/the-great-green-military-of-the-future-friend-or-foe/

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Green Future Military (Probable Solution To Energy Problem}
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
This is utterly fascinating. Guess the US Military carries enough ass that it can stand up to ExxonMobil, as opposed to what passes for a government.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
This is utterly fascinating. Guess the US Military carries enough ass that it can stand up to ExxonMobil, as opposed to what passes for a government.

For sure Surly. Many forget about their financial clout as well. The line about the top brass being afraid of the country being blackmailed by oil exporters in the future caught my eye and caused me to take the article seriously. As usual, necessity becomes the mother of invention.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

The Marines have already begun using solar power packs at forward bases in Afghanistan and last year the Navy spent $12 million for 450,000 gallons of biofuel, the largest purchase of biofuel ever in the U.S.

This keeps your typical Carrier Group motoring along for how long?  A week maybe?

In fiscal year 2009, the DoD consumed 932 trillion Btu of site delivered energy at a cost of 13.3 billion dollars.

So, $12M represents less than 1/1000th the cost of the total Big Ass Military fuel expenditures, and since Biofuels are more expensive than conventional fuels, this means the percentage of them is even smaller than that.

To actually fuel the military using Biofuels would likely take up all the Ag Land in the Corn Belt, leaving about Zero for anyone to eat, including the Soldiers and Sailors and Flyboys.

Not saying they won't try this for a while, but long term it ain't gonna work.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
 Quote RE  "Not saying they won't try this for a while, but long term it ain't gonna work"

Not so sure. Have been reading how Brazil has done wonders with bio fuel. Things can get rolling a lot quicker than people think once somebody really big gets the ball rolling and drives costs down. Personally I think we dilly dallied much to long with our energy policy, but a group of generals working on a problem rather than our ass hole politicians is not something I would say Never too.  :icon_study:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »
Quote RE  "Not saying they won't try this for a while, but long term it ain't gonna work"

Not so sure. Have been reading how Brazil has done wonders with bio fuel. Things can get rolling a lot quicker than people think once somebody really big gets the ball rolling and drives costs down. Personally I think we dilly dallied much to long with our energy policy, but a group of generals working on a problem rather than our ass hole politicians is not something I would say Never too.  :icon_study:

Are those the same brilliant Generals who ran the Vietnam war, Desert Storm, Iraq and the War on Terror?

Anyhow, the question here is in BTUs of total energy and how much Ag land that takes for biofuels.  You can only ramp up the production so far before it starts cutting into the food supply, which it already is doing.  Ramping it up 1000X is ludicrous.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
 RE "Are those the same brilliant Generals who ran the Vietnam war, Desert Storm, Iraq and the War on Terror?"

I think it has been rather well established that the generals were stymied by the politicians in those endeavors. I seem to remember Colin Powell advising our political wizards Iraq would be a mistake as planned. You may remember the political wizard who over ruled him.

No Problem Colin
No Problem Colin

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
I for one would like to see the numbers. No idea of the scale required to float a battle group. But I think the main takeaway here is that even if this is just a pilot program, the generals are getting in the act and taking renewables seriously. Which is a very interesting development, no matter the scale.

GO, your point about the political wizard who overruled Powell is duly noted. I remember CP saying, "You break it, you bought it," to the boredom and ignorance of the PNAC crowd.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."