AuthorTopic: How to insert images into posts.  (Read 2010 times)

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
How to insert images into posts.
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »
While posting.... The    icon toggles the WYSIWYG editor.

Inserting images that are already available on the web.

In another tab or window got to the website with the image you want to use and bring the image up on the screen. Right click on top of the image (not anywhere else on the page) and choose "Copy link location" or similar option (wording dependent on which browser you use)

Return to the post editor window/tab click where you want the image placed and then click and then press the key combination [Ctrl]-[V] or right click and select "Paste".

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:16:28 AM by peter »

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: How to insert images into posts.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
OK  8) ... I figured out a fairly easy way for you to place either thumbnails or full sized images from your computer into a post without needing to use any other programs or a 3rd party image hosting site. The process does require you to save/post the unfinished post in order to upload the attachments so you can refer to them for post insertion.

(I have set attachments so you can attach up to 50 items as large as 5mb each  with a total of 20mb  allowed per post.).

You upload the images by clicking on the next to "Attachments and other options" to the left just below the editor window. You get a dialog where you can 'browse' the files on your computer to select the image you want to use. Each browse slot can hold one image. You can 'add more' to get more slots.

After you have added all the images you want to use click [save/post] which uploads the image to the forum and shows thumbnails of them below the unfinished post.

The wording between the two next instructions is just slightly different and is critical to note. One selection gives a link to the thumbnail and the other gives a link to the full size image.

To show a thumbnail in your post. After posting so the image is uploaded and while viewing the post, move your cursor over the thumbnail of the attachment below the post and right click. From the popup menu select copy image location

To show a full-sized image in your post. After posting so the image is uploaded and while viewing the post, move your cursor over the thumbnail of the attachment below the post that you want to insert into the post and right click. From the popup menu select copy link location

This works because the attachment thumbnail has an embed link in it to the full-sized image so it loads the full-sized image when you click the thumbnail.

Once you have copied either URL so it can be pasted into your post by the paste function select to [modify] the post so you can insert the link where you want it in the post.

Click the icon or type img tags into the post that look like this
Code: [Select]
[img][/img] and then paste the url [Ctrl-V]  between the tags like this
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/Themes/doom1/images/bbc/img.gif[/img] 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:15:47 PM by peter »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
This is awesome Peter.  Hoepfully this will allow Surly to more easily get up his OWS photos so I can get working on editing up a Feature Article for this area.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
I also installed a plugin called "Fancy Box".

One of my dislikes about SMF has to do with it's poor handling of large images inserted into posts (a bad habit I have with panoramas) that stretch beyond the right window boundary and you only partially see. Instead of having a scroll bar on the bottom of each image so you can scroll it in place to see all of it, SMF only places one scroll bar at the very bottom of the post. If you have a long posts with several images in it, it is impossible to  view the missing parts of images  without double clicking them so they open in another window.

With fancy box a single click opens the image in a 'fancy' window. The window allows you to step through all the images in the post or start a slide show. The plugin is still in Beta and has a few flaws but it is a big step up. Presently it capture a few of the icons associated with the post which shouldn't be included.

For RE: I'm not sure if you are interested in this but I have created a copy of your avatar with transparency so it shows only the image and uses the background outside it where it is posted. Just right click and save it to your computer to use it.

It displays like this rather than like this

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:35:17 PM by peter »