PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Monk's Lament - A Doomstead Paradigm Proposal

AuthorTopic: Monk's Lament - A Doomstead Paradigm Proposal  (Read 10565 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Monk's Lament - A Doomstead Paradigm Proposal
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
So for a typical liveaboard yacht at 35 feet, around $1000/quarter or $333/mo.  Can you drain sewage tanks?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »
So for a typical liveaboard yacht at 35 feet, around $1000/quarter or $333/mo.  Can you drain sewage tanks?

RE

Nope you got that wrong. There are 3 ccolumns. That rate is for a 109ftr

35ft would be looking at $325 a quarter + electricity.

No we don't accept sewage.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

35ft would be looking at $325 a quarter + electricity.

No we don't accept sewage.

That's very reasonable though the sewage issue is a problem.  What do liveaboards do?  Sail out a few miles offshore and dump at sea once a week or so?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

nobody

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 07:27:54 AM »
The marina fees are unbelievably reasonable.  Sailing 12 miles out and dumping sewage is pretty common (not necessarily in OF).  Sounds just awful until you think about Macondo.  After Macondo (+ fuckyoushima), one thinks any kind of dumping by little, tiny individuals just won't matter anymore.  One is also trying to do the right thing here however. 

If we tried something like this, we should probably start in HI (living onboard and growing on land), and just visit OF a few times to see if, like in New Zealand, we find a sort of place for ourselves there.  Then, unlike NZ, we'd already have a way in and out for the visa requirements plus a reasonable cost of staying there - highly advisable when one is not permitted to work (a situation quickly ramping-up in our own country).

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »
The marina fees are unbelievably reasonable.  Sailing 12 miles out and dumping sewage is pretty common (not necessarily in OF).  Sounds just awful until you think about Macondo.  After Macondo (+ fuckyoushima), one thinks any kind of dumping by little, tiny individuals just won't matter anymore.  One is also trying to do the right thing here however. 

If we tried something like this, we should probably start in HI (living onboard and growing on land), and just visit OF a few times to see if, like in New Zealand, we find a sort of place for ourselves there.  Then, unlike NZ, we'd already have a way in and out for the visa requirements plus a reasonable cost of staying there - highly advisable when one is not permitted to work (a situation quickly ramping-up in our own country).

We have an enormous amount of fresh water coming into the bay from two rivers and also a substantial 17ft tide so the bay flushes itself very well. The community itself has 3 outfalls one of which isn't far from the docks. The amount of effluent that our very small human population puts into the bay is insignificant beside the effluent from natural sources  in this area.

There is only one year round live aboard. The water gets shut off in the winter. During the summer there is a washroom on site, and an outhouse year round.  There is a lodge about a block away which is about to reopen that has shower and laundry facilities. I'm not sure how long they'll last. They bought the place sight unseen without ever visiting Ocean Falls. I think their expectations were different than the reality they face. I wish them luck http://www.darkewaters.com/

darkewatersad
darkewatersad

Here's the services page http://traveloceanfalls.com/p_services.html That's all there is. You can no longer buy fuel locally. A barge comes in once a month from which you can buy fuel. Other than that you need to go to Shearwater (30mi by water) for fuel. Groceries available locally are very limited with no produce most of the year. Store is open 3 times a week for 3 hours at a time, mon, wed, fri from 2pm to 5pm. During the summer they sometimes open for a while on Sat. A trip to Shearwater  for groceries is an expensive trip to the store. If you are here long term you could likely join the local shopping group who order food monthly which is delivered by barge.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:25:54 AM by peter »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
We have an enormous amount of fresh water coming into the bay from two rivers and also a substantial 17ft tide so the bay flushes itself very well. The community itself has 3 outfalls one of which isn't far from the docks. The amount of effluent that our very small human population puts into the bay is insignificant beside the effluent from natural sources  in this area.

I didin't stop to think that the community directly flushes into the bay.  Really doesn't matter since its not drinking water anyhow and you are just recycling what you eat this way.

Whatever happenned with the Central Water supply question?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

nobody

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
Thanks Peter.  Quite an adventure, isn't it?  I wonder what the Darke people expected.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
Thanks Peter.  Quite an adventure, isn't it?  I wonder what the Darke people expected.

Yes quite an adventure. I'm currently doing up the minutes of the last Harbour Authority Meeting held last week. When I'm done I will tackle your post about my having options that others don't because I have already checked out of the system. It will be a lengthy post that strays substantially.

nobody

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »
I'm looking forward to that.