AuthorTopic: Philatelics - Minature Art Works Depicting The History of a Country  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
In Response to a recent topic on the Forum of the Confederacy and it's flag, thought this might be pertinent and of interest in the Civil war discussion.

I have always been interested in stamps of the Confederacy and have a small collection of such. Here are some images of stamps in this fascinating philatelic field that I hope you will enjoy. They seem to bring the Civil War period back to life.

Thomas Jefferson 1861

Jefferson Davis

Andrew Jackson 1862

Jefferson Davis 1862 typograph

Andrew Jackson 1863

George Washington 1863

Jefferson Davis 1863-64

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Philatelics - Minature Art Works Depicting The History of a Country
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »
Very cool!
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

Bavaria Scott #1, the first German stamp, 184

Scott #C1 from 1919, - the first air mail stamp

Hyperinflation stamp, 1923 (Scott #298)

Stamp of Nazi Germany: Chancellor and Führer of the Greater German Reich, Adolf Hitler (1944)

Semipostal from 1944 (Scott B282)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »
Know very little about Syria. Thought I would check out it's stamps to get a better feel for the country. Some of the more interesting IMO presented for Diner perusal. Collecting stamps all my life, but Syria was never one of my areas of interest until now.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
HONG KONG 1941 King George VI Centenary of British Occupation

Stamp collectors all have their favorites. Like in art, tastes differ. This set of stamps form Hong Kong is one of mine.

It fascinated me by it's distinct design, handsome engraved appearance, and it's colors.  The street scene is my favorite in all categories color, subject matter, engravers precision.   Still remember first seeing it in a stamp shop and acquiring it and taking it home and studying it under a magnifying glass and looking it up in a catalogue. It was a set that influenced my later collecting interests, one of the areas I specialize in is British Hong Kong, and subsequently China.

How important and what effort went into the production of stamps, this set clearly shows how important they were.  What a view and education I received of the influence of Great Britain on the world as a boy collecting stamps.

Just reminiscing Diners, was looking at stamps on some mail I received today, as interesting and well designed as Campbell soup or Spam Labels and made with the same care and process that had me looking at favorite stamps on my computer. Posted it on a stamp website and they liked it so thought it would be enjoyed by  readers as a trivia item.

dbl click for hi res img

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 05:37:03 PM »
That would be George VI, yes? The Reluctant King.

I like the stamps, just never got into collecting them. My loss.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Penny Black: the turbulent history of the short-lived stamp

The Penny Black, which emerged 175 years ago, had an influential but limited lifespan

The Penny Black stamp: worth thousands today Photo: Jeff Gilbert

It has become a stamp collector's holy grail: the little black stamp that made post affordable for a normal Victorian. But the Penny Black, which first went on sale in London 175 years ago today, had a troubled birth.

Before the Penny Black, the world's first adhesive stamp, only the very rich could afford to use the post. Until 1840, letters were charged by the number of sheets written upon and the distanced travelled to send them – and the recipient, rather than the sender, had to pay.

Victorians made their correspondence as efficient as possible: writing both horizontally and vertically on a page, but even two decades before the Penny Black was printed it was clear something needed to be done.

James Chalmers, a bookseller and printer from Dundee, suggested a solution of pre-paid postage stamps in 1822, but it took another 15 years for MP Robert Wallace to imagine an envelope, of a standard size, which would carry the stamp.

Two years later, the Penny Postage Bill was passed in Parliament and treasurer Roland Hill announced a competition to find the designer of envelops and stamps: 2,600 entries were submitted.

• What is a Penny Black stamp?

Although there are reports of some winners being announced, including Henry Cole and Charles Whiting, who were established printers, Hill decided to run with an envelope and stamp designed by artist William Mulready.

Mulready's stamped lettersheet was perhaps a better idea than reality: an elaborate "poetic" design inspired by the country's empire, with a figure of Britannia and an apathetic lion in the middle, it was roundly mocked and inspired so many cariactures it had to be withdrawn.

More successful was the stamp – for a while, at least. Its depiction of Queen Victoria was drawn from a sketch that artist William Wyon made of the Queen when she was 15. Victoria was 21 in 1840, but engraver Henry Corbould still used this reference for the stamp, which was in turn used by Charles and Frederick Heath to make a die for its printing.

Along with the fine border work and stars in the corners, the Penny Black didn't feature the name of the country: Victoria was synonymous with the nation at this point.

Instead, the word "Postage" differentiated it from the revenue stamps that had been used for decades. Both that and the price, One Penny, were printed on the stamp.

Issued in sheets of 240 stamps, costing £1 sterling a sheet, although these were the first adhesive stamps – thanks to a "glutinous wash" on the back – perforation wasn't to arrive for 14 years. Instead, the person behind the counter in the post office had to cut the stamps apart with scissors.

Ultimately, it was the reason for the stamp's name that marked its demise. The wonderfully gloomy black ink easily disguised the red ink used to cancel stamps – this made them easy to reuse.

Within 12 months, the Treasury reprinted it as a red stamp, and changed the cancellation stamp to have black ink. The Penny Red was born, but the Black remains the memorable – and valuable – one. With just 68 million stamps printed, they are worth anywhere between £1,800 and £15,000 a piece.

The famed Penny Black. The worlds first postage stamp that brought mail to the masses.  What an invention it was.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/11576260/Penny-Black-the-turbulent-history-of-the-short-lived-stamp.html  :icon_study:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Philatelics - Africa
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »
Have been thinking about a recent podcast of Doug Casey's where he urges youngsters to head for Africa to find fame and fortune.

Was thinking of my stamp collection and how, as a boy, the stamps from Africa ignited my love for Philatelics.

Never forget the hours spent in F W Woolworths, known as the five and ten cent store back then looking at packets of stamps from around the world.

The ones from Africa were beautiful, wild animals, beautiful birds, and most interesting for a young boy the native girls with their bare boobs.

Was one great time being a kid, on looking back of course, not at the time so much.  :-\ :laugh:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »
No area of Philately has fascinated me more than China. It represents the largest part of my collection, a most interesting people and country.

Some images presented of more modern material, will show images of the early issues at another time. The stamps pictured are from EBay, most of mine were purchased before digital photos.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Philatelics - Catalonia Stamps and Postal History
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 05:44:51 AM »

1841 Stampless Cover MARSEILLE to CATALONIA Spain

Spain Civil War Catalonia Anti Fascist France perf & imperf S/S MNH (2)

SPAIN ESPAÑA 1988 MNH SC.2568 Catalonia Millenium

SPAIN ESPAÑA 1979 MNH SC.2174/75 Catalonia and Basque Autonomy Statute

Spain Bicycle Race Tour De Catalonia

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Philatelics - Isaac Newton UK Stamp and Coin Cover
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
 A new issue from Britain that sold right out.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
Am not much a collector, but if you enjoy good design, such stamps and coins are delightful to examine.
I always get a kick out of the images you post.

Gert Frobe notwithstanding... ;D
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound